rocket

No DevBlog this week but here is some screens

the screenshots look great, will you be able to look around while inventory is open?

Edited by (MUC) Feral
  • Like 2

I'm starting to like this inventory a lot. Looks simple, in a good way, I mean I can't see a new player having to look at youtube videos to just open his backpack (Arma 2 inventory, I'm looking at you).

Looks solid and I hope the drag and drop system will be responsive and not lag too much, hopefully.

On an aesthetics point of view, I like the font, I don't find it too distracting, but I think the titles should be in the center of each screen, IMO.

Thought I'd make my account and do my first post when I saw this.

Thanks for the screenshots, the game is looking great can't wait! A little tweaking wouldn't hurt the UI (some of the boxes are obscured by the player model) and the colors are a little bare bones but otherwise the layout and functionality look right on the mark. A WIP is a WIP though, and the players being able to add their own skins would be cool. I know you wanted to hold off on mods in one of the panels I watched, so would player skins be any kind of risk in regards to security if it's altering the game?

Loving the 3d models for the items as well. Keep up the good work Rocket and crew, and congrats on Everest! That's an amazing accomplishment!

oh well, adding ur own inventory skins would be even more awesome :D, but one further question about the inventory: what are those red and green colored squares on the right side of some items?

oh well, adding ur own inventory skins would be even more awesome :D, but one further question about the inventory: what are those red and green colored squares on the right side of some items?

Hide/show expansion buttons, placeholders atm I'm sure.

great progress Dean.

I think i speak for everyone when i say this. These are the only kinds of updates we want. I personally dont think you need to have a long winded devblog which takes time to compile. A screeny once or twice a week with some foot notes is all thats really needed. It would take minutes to do, would keep me and im sure a lot of others happy and most importantly let you focus on what needs doing. Its when we hear nothing that people get irritated.

keep up the good work. my wallet is primed mate :thumbsup:

• Like 9

A screeny once or twice a week with some foot notes is all thats really needed.

Eggsacktly

You only see in the vicinity box what you can actually see from your position. I.e. what is not obscured in your view.

Seems lazy for the player. I'd much, much more prefer a "point cursor -> click" to pick up an individual item, not open up a menu and drag and drop stuff. Takes me out of the game a bit.

You should never be able to just stand in one spot and pick up multiple items, people should have to dig deep and spend lots of time on looting items. Imagine if you have 3 zeds bolting after you inside a building and you just have to have that can of beans and bandage. Well, if I can see both of them, I can just open up a menu and drag and drop both fairly quickly.

It'd feel much more rushed and precise if I had to point my "hand" (cursor) at one individually and grab it. The only time you should be able to manipulate items in a menu is if you already have them.

For example, in DayZ mod, if you have a loot pile on the ground and zeds are trying to attack you, you can just keep the menu open (having the items in sight) and shuffle back and forth without really even looking at the times - you just somehow get grab the items via drag and drop...doesn't seem right

Edited by Powell
  • Like 7

Well, you say that, then you get a 4 hour long debate about the font being used, hahaha

But I agree, something is anything, and is always better than nothing.

Dean or anyone that can answer do you think DayZ will be playable on the new integrated graphics from intel the 5000hd? That would be great..

Sad that I’ll never use the inventory that I’ve watched for months and months being used on twitch having never played any DayZ. I guess Ive missed out on its meny bugs and problems.

Good news is I'll pick up the new system without the pian of knowing the old one.

Edited by sav112

I hope performance will be better for the DayZ Standalone.

Roll on the SA!!!

Do we think the Tree branches will still give bullet proof protection?

Edited by sav112

Seems lazy for the player. I'd much, much more prefer a "point cursor -> click" to pick up an individual item, not open up a menu and drag and drop stuff. Takes me out of the game a bit.

You should never be able to just stand in one spot and pick up multiple items, people should have to dig deep and spend lots of time on looting items. Imagine if you have 3 zeds bolting after you inside a building and you just have to have that can of beans and bandage. Well, if I can see both of them, I can just open up a menu and drag and drop both fairly quickly.

It'd feel much more rushed and precise if I had to point my "hand" (cursor) at one individually and grab it. The only time you should be able to manipulate items in a menu is if you already have them.

For example, in DayZ mod, if you have a loot pile on the ground and zeds are trying to attack you, you can just keep the menu open (having the items in sight) and shuffle back and forth without really even looking at the times - you just somehow get grab the items via drag and drop...doesn't seem right

Yeah, I do ultimately agree with this.

I mean, the LOS thing definitely makes the vicinity loot thing much more palatable to me. But, I'd rather have it as described above. I'm sure it'd require a bit more work though, perhaps further on down the line. That and a "grab loot" animation, not sure if that's in already or not. I don't recall.

Will have to see how it plays out in game, whether or not the entire object has to be visible or just a pixel of it to count for the vicinity loot.

Edited by Katana67

Haha funny discussion in twitter about the font DayZ is using :D

hello, wanted to know if DayZ work with Oculus Rift ?

Edited by ACSilva

shouldnt the inventory slots relating to the clothing match the amount of pockets. 4 slots for jeans instead of six, also 6 slots in the hoodie seems far to many. Anyone feel the same?

• Like 2

hello, wanted to know if DayZ work with Oculus Rift ?

Have fun running Real Virtuality engine with that big and detailed map(s) with stable 60fps so practically no. In theory if you can find a computer that does that then there's possibility...

shouldnt the inventory slots relating to the clothing match the amount of pockets. 4 slots for jeans instead of six, also 6 slots in the hoodie seems far to many. Anyone feel the same?

With that logic a backpack would only have one slot.

Don't forget, simulation seems to be the aim here, if you're focused on shifting some items into your backpack etc, you're not exactly going to see though that.

Perhaps instead of more transparency make the Alt (or whatever free-look is) temporarily hide the gear menu and allow head movement?

That's a good idea. I forgot about the backpack thing!

I believe this is how it was in the first video blog, and might still be, with the added functionality of the inventory screen.

I agree with you, by the way. Although I think it's still possible.

Screens look great, inventory is a HUGE leap. The terrain looks fine enough to masturbate to, hope you give out some more screenies soon.

To those crying about graphics not being uber in Dayz and to those who think graphics make the game try these games for size :)

Great games that dont rely on flashy graphics, Just awesome gameplay :)

ps - am hoping Rocket takes a look at Project Zomboid (some great ideas for Dayz in it) :) :)

I guess he could get some ideas from FTL and KSP too, Hey Spaceman Zombies lol

Edited by jaytmuk
  • Like 1