rocket

No DevBlog this week but here is some screens

My point is you obviously have an issue, so instead of just making an appearance every time a dev blog/thread is released create your own thread and tell us what you think.

How about some suggestions of how you think things could be improved instead of negatively reacting to every little piece of info that is released.

I hate Phil Collins but you don't see me trolling his forums in my spare time. Surely there are some aspects of the game you like otherwise why are you here?

First of all; I have offered suggestions. As you're doing now; sometimes it doesn't make sense for every post in this thread to be a list of suggestions. Also, why do I have to hate DayZ to criticize the Standalone? Obviously I've played and enjoyed the mod. Like others, I want the game to succeed. I think praising everything we get is the worst possible way to do it. They don't need encouragement, they need a reality check. At this rate they're going to get it once its too late.

I agree. There is no point in blindly cheering everything the devs do. They need criticism, but it needs to be constructive.

Put criticism in a constructive manner and the trolls will vanish (i hope)

And Nihilum - what is that?

Edited by DemonGroover

Right, but I think (hope) you'll agree my posts have been constructive. As others have pointed out; some people simply want to defend Rocket blindly. If you want to ban me for saying what needs to be said then that's your call.

Nobody needs banned

I understand the sentiment, but consistently and intentionally refusing to acknowledge any reasoning which refutes your own interpretation certainly strikes me as trolling.

You're allowed a different opinion, but repeating it over and over serves no purpose.

Clearly folks don't see the inventory UI being low priority as much of an issue at the moment.

i'm no expert but it should be as simple as matching camo textures with land textures shouldnt it? arma 2 land textures seem overly bright in colour and low res, or something.

Also, I havent been keeping up with the devblogs, could someone tell me if there is any info regarding any of the following issues/ideas in SA?

• Weapon Resting - something BI have ignored since forever in the Arma series, much less complex games like RO2 have done this very well, both Arma and Dayz need this.
  • All or nothing Post Processing options - give me bloom please but not DOF and motion blur, currently its all or nothing in Arma.
  • 3rd person view - this needs to go, completely.
  • Proper ballistics - realistic windage/elevation calculation and adjustment for rifles.
  • Tracking - players leave sporadic footprints for a certain distance behind them, blood trails following wounded players.

Cheers.

Agreed except the last one is already in Arma. Blood trails and grass is down for some time before disappear/rise up. The DayZ wounding doesn't bleed on the ground that well so you might haven't see it. I remember that I've tracked down a wounded AI couple times in vanilla Arma 2 because it was bleeding.

Right, but I think (hope) you'll agree my posts have been constructive. As others have pointed out; some people simply want to defend Rocket blindly. If you want to ban me for saying what needs to be said then that's your call.

No body is going to get banned or warned just because they disagree with someone or the Devs. This is why i said to make your own thread so it can hopefully be discussed in an adult manner.

• Like 1

Exactly what Demon said, Gummy. Its fine for you to say that you dont like something. But hat's much more important is howyou post it. WHen you post something, you don't do it in a constructive way. It's almost like you're trying to stir something up. For example:

An ugly interface and a screenshot of ArmA 2. Awesome.

Even with the best texturing in the world, I don't possibly see how that GUI could ever be considered an improvement.

That's not constructive at all, that's simply trolling.

That's not constructive at all, that's simply trolling.

It's not constructive; but it's not trolling, either. It's a negative comment completely the inverse of "looks great!".

It's not constructive; but it's not trolling, either. It's a negative comment completely the inverse of "looks great!".

It's also entirely missing the point.

Which you continue to do for a further 24 pages.

Alright people this is turning into one long Trollfest!

Can we get back on topic...i forget what it was....oh yeah the dev post.

I am going to start hiding posts soon if it keeps on going the way it is. I very rarely warn people but i have my BIG stick out now.

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 1

I hope the clothing can be layered (where it makes sense)

and we get some totally in style neon-pastel fanny packs/bum bags, maybe a rockin New Kids On the Block version.

in all seriousness maybe different adjustable molle vests, where in you can find more molle pouches and increase your item space/quick bar slots, maybe a Camel bag with a finite number uses when at full instead of just one. A mag dump pouch to catch your empty mags instead of them dropping to the ground.

example:

kDDFYyR.jpg

like the vest is a prerequisite, and the proper pieces attach via right clicking and attaching. obviously not for a while, but food for thought.

Edited by Nihilum
  • Like 1

Is there any word on when the "drag and drop" interface will lose the boxes for clothing items?

The PAX demo video (if I remember right) had a quick mention of clothes being placed directly onto the character model. I thought that was a neat little idea.

Here's my 'constructive criticism'...Looking at the new inventory screen, I am reminded of Stardock's Fences, which is a program that I love.

All it needs is a better font, and maybe some colours than aren't just primary.

What would be extra cool would be a customizable UI for the inventory so we could choose the colour scheme, level of opacity etc. or, the ability for people to mod the inventory UI.

• Like 1

Is there any word on when the "drag and drop" interface will lose the boxes for clothing items?

The PAX demo video (if I remember right) had a quick mention of clothes being placed directly onto the character model. I thought that was a neat little idea.

Originally there was to be no boxes, and it was all to be drag and drop on/off the character model itself. But it's proving confusing and problematic. It's still an open design question.

You can drag and drop, say, clothing directly onto your character and it will place it on you - rather than into the specific box.

The character moves around alot, so that's why he looks like he covers the boxes.

Dragging on to your character works. It's mainly dragging items off the character which is proving problematic.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 1

Cheers for that, dude. :thumbsup:

It's a bit of a shame that it's turning out to be so much hassle, but I'm glad to hear the idea isn't written off entirely.

Agreed except the last one is already in Arma. Blood trails and grass is down for some time before disappear/rise up. The DayZ wounding doesn't bleed on the ground that well so you might haven't see it. I remember that I've tracked down a wounded AI couple times in vanilla Arma 2 because it was bleeding.

Really? I've never noticed blood trails in A2CO, sure it wasn't a part of ACE mod or something? Actually after a quick google it looks like this feature is in A3 but not A2. (A2 ACE mod has it though)

Edited by NevilleFknBartos

I actually dont care how de WIP looks like atm. What i only care about is that it works like its suppose to. The layout could be changed later!

Yeah, it doesn't have a central server. It didn't double in quality, either.

The central server doesn't have anything to do that the game can't improve much. Do you think that you have too high expectations on standalone and has any game ever satisfied you?

I am actually looking forward to the initial response by people when the SA comes out.

I just hope that a lot of players, particularly those new to the mod and all of its incarnations remember that it is going back to basics where stealth and survival, not pure PvP Deathmatch was the focus.

I cant wait for those first few posts of rage and butthurt. No vehicles, cant lose the zombies as easily, cant find a high powered gun, i can only find pink baseball caps.....

It's gonna be fun.

This. I want to laugh for those rage posts people complaining that they get killed by the zombies all the time and they can't even get to meet their friends before zombies eat them because they needed to stop to catch breath or otherwise fainth on the ground and when they shoot with AK the whole town is after them. That would be the point when DayZ is heading for the right direction.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Thread cleaned.

Gummy is not the Topic here.

Just to remind you all that everything at this time is WIP.

Back on Topic and keep it that way.

• Like 1

Much better.

Here's my 'constructive criticism'...Looking at the new inventory screen, I am reminded of Stardock's Fences, which is a program that I love.

All it needs is a better font, and maybe some colours than aren't just primary.

What would be extra cool would be a customizable UI for the inventory so we could choose the colour scheme, level of opacity etc. or, the ability for people to mod the inventory UI.

Would be good..i would like to be able to adjust the opacity level especially.

what worries me is that dean hates the idea of atmospheric props... i know we should write the story and bla blaa.... but some things would just add sooo much more to the whole. signs from the past, the beginning of the outbreak, those stories which already have been written and still can be seen right now.. just subtle and depressing ones. I don't know why dean compares here things to L4D..as he said: "chalk and cheese"

That was quite a shock for me to say no to more atmosphere regarding props and special sceneries.

• Like 1

In other post-apocalyptic settings I tend to lose myself in the detail of certain scenes.

Take Fallout, for example. Every title in the series has mini backstories to investigate, which, while totally unnecessary, add to the experience greatly.

I appreciate that Rocket wants US to tell the stories, I just feel that snippets from the lives of former residents, even the scenes of their last struggles, would really serve to flesh-out the world and make it feel lived-in.

These stories might even be another opportunity for the artistic members of the community to lend thier talents.

• Like 7

I think that's part of the plan with the books (many of which will be community written). Also player diaries may be a feature. I think it's static dead bodies built in to the scenery that he not so keen on.

Edited by Fraggle