landfish

Things that kills realism

on the other hand a limited stamina combined with the new zeds would lead to completely different gameplay; one must avoid detection at all costs which would lead to far more sneaking ingame. anticipatory, with a plan or even tactics. using binoculars far more often...etc.. i personally like the idea.

• Like 3

after read this, will post after approval from the Moderator will be great

Un-refrigerated blood would be effectively dead. You're basically pumping yourself full of liquid rot after anything more than a couple of days.

Recipe for disaster.

I don't think the zombie "infection" is going to be the biggest risk.

EDIT: Format

Should have written that i meant it ironcly...

on the other hand a limited stamina combined with the new zeds would lead to completely different gameplay; one must avoid detection at all costs which would lead to far more sneaking ingame. anticipatory, with a plan or even tactics. using binoculars far more often...etc.. i personally like the idea.

I second that as well, but if they have the current zombie spawning system, which they won't (i know), it would be a disaster having zombies spawn in front of you while u are sneaking haha

people forget its a video game.....

only thing i agree with OP is the gore part.

MOAR BLOOD!

I never understood people's desire for thing to be more 'realistic'. I like an immersive, authentic (as someone else said) experience also - but I never want it at the expense of the game being fun or playable.

As someone else pointed out, many of these elements are there for time compression and convenience.

I couldn't imagine this playing without unlimited stamina. Cars are sparse, time consuming to repair, and easy to destroy. And they certainly make you a target. The maps are fairly large, on foot it takes time, even at a full sprint. Zombies, being just as fast if not faster, can sometime take time to lose. Especially if you are out in the open with few trees an no buildings.

The other thing is the 3rd person. I know some people hate it, some call it cheating etc etc. I prefer it. In first person, there is no sense of spatial recognition, narrow field of vision and it's just plain annoying to be stuck in that view the entire time. This is one that I think should be left as a server-side option.

The blood bag thing.. sure, I suppose they could just change the containers they spawn in.

Helicopters... sure, I see your point. But if and when you can get one.. they are just plain fun.

No knock-back effects from bullets? That's only in hollywood movies. I won't bother explaining any of the physics, but there is plenty of information online. Bullets do not cause knock-back. Nor do they often drop someone after a single shot (especially from smaller calibers), unless of course it was a kill shot - head, heart, vital organs.. you get the picture.

I guess in summation, my point is this. We play games as a break from real life. I certainly do not want to get on and worry about walking 10 clicks to the nearest food/water point. Or waiting three days to recover from an injury/infection. And any adjustments should be server side options. Want first person only, no reticle, higher damage? Join server A. If not.. join B. Easy and satisfies the most people. No game ever wants to a chore to play by being too real.

love this post.

prolly copy paste this in every single rant about snipers and realism discussions.

I like a lot of these suggestions because they make they game both more difficult and more brutal. But unfortunately I don't think many of them will happen. Third person has been in the mod far too long, people have become attached to it. It would have needed to be removed right at the beginning, but I think it's too late now.

I never understood people's desire for thing to be more 'realistic'. I like an immersive, authentic (as someone else said) experience also - but I never want it at the expense of the game being fun or playable.

As someone else pointed out, many of these elements are there for time compression and convenience.

I couldn't imagine this playing without unlimited stamina. Cars are sparse, time consuming to repair, and easy to destroy. And they certainly make you a target. The maps are fairly large, on foot it takes time, even at a full sprint. Zombies, being just as fast if not faster, can sometime take time to lose. Especially if you are out in the open with few trees an no buildings.

The other thing is the 3rd person. I know some people hate it, some call it cheating etc etc. I prefer it. In first person, there is no sense of spatial recognition, narrow field of vision and it's just plain annoying to be stuck in that view the entire time. This is one that I think should be left as a server-side option.

The blood bag thing.. sure, I suppose they could just change the containers they spawn in.

Helicopters... sure, I see your point. But if and when you can get one.. they are just plain fun.

No knock-back effects from bullets? That's only in hollywood movies. I won't bother explaining any of the physics, but there is plenty of information online. Bullets do not cause knock-back. Nor do they often drop someone after a single shot (especially from smaller calibers), unless of course it was a kill shot - head, heart, vital organs.. you get the picture.

I guess in summation, my point is this. We play games as a break from real life. I certainly do not want to get on and worry about walking 10 clicks to the nearest food/water point. Or waiting three days to recover from an injury/infection. And any adjustments should be server side options. Want first person only, no reticle, higher damage? Join server A. If not.. join B. Easy and satisfies the most people. No game ever wants to a chore to play by being too real.

I want to know how I should use cover in a real gun fight. Third person gives you a magical camera and breaks this, which is why I don't like it. 3rd person is not necessary to make the game playable or fun at all, it's just there because people have got used to it. I'd love to play on a 1stp server but they don't exist (with players on them). That's all I have to say, I've debated with people on here about it before and didn't get anywhere.

Anyways, to me, the stress is fun. I love how unfair and random the game is. Any realism which adds to this, I'm all for it. Simulate as much as possible. I don't agree with the idea that "it's just a game people! do whatever the fuck you want, let's fly on unicorns!".

If I see someone flying a plane, and it was obvious they must have a high level of technical knowledge to be flying it in the first place, that would be awesome. You might go for a month playing it every day and not see a plane flown successfully, then one zooms overhead! Shit, we've got a pilot on the server!

But as I said before, there are just some points you have to concede. An abridged medical system. A thumbnail version of food, drink, sanitation. Even "permadeath" is not permanent - you can start again with a new character. But if you leave them out altogether you end up with a very different experience. How does it feel to die in CoD vs losing a week old character in DayZ?

• Like 4

People had the same response to Rocket's original idea. Too hard, too unfair, too realistic.

No one thought it would work, so no one tried it. Turns out it's fucking amazing.

I want to know how I should use cover in a real gun fight. Third person gives you a magical camera and breaks this, which is why I don't like it. 3rd person is not necessary to make the game playable or fun at all, it's just there because people have got used to it. I'd love to play on a 1stp server but they don't exist (with players on them). That's all I have to say, I've debated with people on here about it before and didn't get anywhere.

Anyways, to me, the stress is fun. I love how unfair and random the game is. Any realism which adds to this, I'm all for it. Simulate as much as possible. I don't agree with the idea that "it's just a game people! do whatever the fuck you want, let's fly on unicorns!".

If I see someone flying a plane, and it was obvious they must have a high level of technical knowledge to be flying it in the first place, that would be awesome. You might go for a month playing it every day and not see a plane flown successfully, then one zooms overhead! Shit, we've got a pilot on the server!

But as I said before, there are just some points you have to concede. An abridged medical system. A thumbnail version of food, drink, sanitation. Even "permadeath" is not permanent - you can start again with a new character. But if you leave them out altogether you end up with a very different experience. How does it feel to die in CoD vs losing a week old character in DayZ?

You can't say that 3rd person isn't required to make the game fun or playable as a stated fact. That's your opinion. Secondly, you can't also in the same sentence say that you like 1st person but no servers use it. Clearly, these two statements are contradictory to each other. If you can't find a 1st person only server, it's because people like to use 3rd person. My point was simple.. you can allow both game preferences to exist (as they currently do) without forcing either side into using a view which they don't like.

How could you resolve the pilot issue? Have people choose classes? Some sort of perk system? I mean.. either you have practiced enough in Arma to be able to fly, thereby already giving you the knowledge/ability to do so... or you quickly find yourself in a fiery wreakage. I fail to see the issue.

No one is suggesting to make the game easier. No one is certainly suggesting to fly on unicorns. That is your taking a discussion and making an exaggerated, counter productive example in an effort to solidfy your position. As you cannot argue that this is just a game (or simulator) if you prefer semantics.. meant to be entertaining and enjoyable. The key to that being, that you have to find the middle ground so that it is as enjoyable and entertaining to the greatest number of people possible.

• Like 1

You can't say that 3rd person isn't required to make the game fun or playable as a stated fact. That's your opinion. Secondly, you can't also in the same sentence say that you like 1st person but no servers use it. Clearly, these two statements are contradictory to each other. If you can't find a 1st person only server, it's because people like to use 3rd person. My point was simple.. you can allow both game preferences to exist (as they currently do) without forcing either side into using a view which they don't like.

Yes, it's my personal opinion that the game wouldn't be any less fun to play without 3rd person. A lot of people would be pissed off for a while and then get used to it. Again, I'm not backing that up with evidence, it's just my opinion.

I play on 3rd person servers because no one plays on 1st. When I play on 3rd, it forces me to abuse the shit out of it so I don't get killed. I've heard the same thing from other people. So they can't co-exist in reality.

How could you resolve the pilot issue? Have people choose classes? Some sort of perk system? I mean.. either you have practiced enough in Arma to be able to fly, thereby already giving you the knowledge/ability to do so... or you quickly find yourself in a fiery wreakage. I fail to see the issue.

I think you misunderstood... or I'm having trouble understanding you. I said nothing about a perk system. It's not terribly important to me that aircraft are simulated accurately, I just think it would be cool.

No one is suggesting to make the game easier. No one is certainly suggesting to fly on unicorns. That is your taking a discussion and making an exaggerated, counter productive example in an effort to solidfy your position. As you cannot argue that this is just a game (or simulator) if you prefer semantics.. meant to be entertaining and enjoyable. The key to that being, that you have to find the middle ground so that it is as enjoyable and entertaining to the greatest number of people possible.

If this game was designed to be entertaining to the greatest number of people possible, it'd be CoD.

You can't say that 3rd person isn't required to make the game fun or playable as a stated fact.

By this, do you imply that your only source of fun within DayZ is via the 3rd person function?

If 3rd person were to be disabled, would the game automatically become *unplayable*?

By this, do you imply that your only source of fun within DayZ is via the 3rd person function?

If 3rd person were to be disabled, would the game automatically become *unplayable*?

it would require more senses and even more tactics. May i expose myself to catch a glimpse? shall i wait and listen carefully? Do i have do look more often behind my shoulder? I see both sides praising 3rd person and 1st person. all in all the "somewhat more immersive" experience is ultimately the 1st person one, exactly because of the drawbacks it has.

edit:

i once had an idea which would work for me perfectly:

add periscopes, or at least the recipes (carton, 2x mirror). With it in your inventory 3rd person is unlocked automatically. One easier step would be to add just mirrors. by having one in your inventory you could also look behind corners or over walls. if desired you have to equip the device first to get into 3rd person mode. but i know that 3rd person fans still would be offended a bit by this idea ;)

Nice and easy "workaround" to somewhat please everyone. add many broken pieces of mirrors in the world so eventually everyone could use 3rd person. But it would also be a nice gimmick. To start the game you'll be always 1st person only unless you'll find the proper pieces/devices..

Edited by joe_mcentire

it would require more senses and even more tactics. May i expose myself to catch a glimpse? shall i wait and listen carefully? Do i have do look more often behind my shoulder? I see both sides praising 3rd person and 1st person. all in all the "somewhat more immersive" experience is ultimately the 1st person one, exactly because of the drawbacks it has.

Indeed, I myself would prefer first person only, for it is far more immersive and makes gameplay more interesting.

A lot of people would be pissed off for a while and then get used to it.
Funny.

If that was true, you'd have quit your bitching about 3dp a LONG time ago, I'm sure.

You're "forced to abuse the shit out of it"?!

What you've effectively stated is YOU exploit 3dp to cover-peek, so everone else must be cheating.

Nothing but excuses.

Instead of rallying your troops to remove third person view, you might want to try encouraging them to play FVP-only servers.

Seriously. Compaints of empty FPV servers are ridiculous, considering you apparently make no attempt to occupy them yourself.

Don't try to convert the folks who are comfortable with the way things are. Find likeminded folks and play the way you choose.

You'll catch more bees with honey than you will with vinegar.

EDIT: @Inception.

Do you think this is getting far enough off-topic?

The 3dp/FPV banter is either going to end up full of rage or bias, depending on who shows up.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 2

Yeh, let's try and steer this away from being a purely 1st vs 3rd person topic, we have hundreds of those, it's been discussed to death already and is not the focus of the OP's post.

Anyone else find first person is hard to look at for too long?

3dp all the way if you want to look at it through this whole 'realism' rubbish then just think of it representing your characters ability to peek round corners etc.

Realism...ugh...

Oh I didn't realise that, my bad.

Lol, that wasn't aimed at you, and if people wanna discuss it they can, I'm not gonna stop them. I was just pointing out that we have hundreds of threads already dedicated to the subject and it always descends into chaos.

Edited by Fraggle

Lol, that wasn't aimed at you, and if people wanna discuss it they can, I'm not gonna stop them. I was just pointing out that we have hundreds of threads already dedicated to the subject and it always descends into chaos.

No no, I know.

You're "forced to abuse the shit out of it"?!

What you've effectively stated is YOU exploit 3dp to cover-peek, so everone else must be cheating.

Nothing but excuses

You've completely misunderstood. I'm not saying people are cheating if they use it.

If I don't use it, I'm putting myself at a massive disadvantage. It's not a matter of preference. I'm gimping myself if I don't use it.

If I choose not to use 3rdp in the game, that doesn't change the fact that others are using it. And I can't join a server that doesn't use it. So I'm stuck.

Edited by RooBurger

I AGREE WITH A FEW POINTS OF THIS GUY BUIT THATS IT HAHA.. oops caps.. too late now

By far the number one killer of realism is the amount of PvP in the game. PvP is not bad at all in the right context, but the game is sorely lacking the ability to generate fear of death. In a real life Day Z event you would have people banding together to survive instead of turning into serial murderers. Rocket threw out the possibility of having your gun lowered until you press space. This is an interesting idea, but one which I believe won't do much to curb the mass killing currently going on. Right now there are incentives to kill other players: prevent yourself from being killed, acquire additional gear and the thrill of saying, "I won!". These incentives to kill far outweigh the incentives to remain peaceful.

Ideas that I've thought of to address this are:

• Towns and Cities should be far more dangerous. Firing a gun in one should nearly guarantee your own death.
  • Include varying types of body armor that can be picked up in-game to make dying to bullets much less likely.
  • Implement a respawn timer based on your currently humanity. The lower your humanity the longer you have to wait to respawn.
  • Cause weapons and gear to become damaged and unusable if shot. (Lighting a player up with a dozen bullets would likely render almost all of the gear on his body inoperable.)
  • Increase the amount of time needed and difficulty needed to gain humanity (max 250 humanity/day, only gained by helping players who you haven't helped in a few days, etc.), but also provide additional body armor to heroes.

The rationale behind these suggestions is to create a greater sense of fear of death as well as reduce the incentive for all players to be serial murderers. Because, let's face it, there's just no realism at all in everyone trying to kill everyone else. The reason this doesn't happen in real life is because no one wants to die. With the current state of DayZ many players don't care about dying, which makes everyone shoot on sight.

I welcome any thoughtful discourse on these suggestions!