mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

Yes, but these aren't trained killers. They're pretty average people who managed to survive a zombie apocalypse, I don't think people are really used to unholstering a rifle so quickly, at least without stumbling once or twice. I can imagine more experienced users, yes, so maybe overtime the rifle unholster animation gets slightly quicker the longer you hold it? The mod's version is a bit too slow for my liking. The one in ArmA 3 feels about right, in my opinion.

Hmm yes now that I look at it again it could be a tiny bit slower. But thats a good idea about the animation getting quicker the more times you do it.

Agreed the mod's animations waaaaaay too slow topped up with the fact that the guy had to stop to play the animation. Hope its like Arma 3!

It has to be slow enough to look realistic for an avarage human and fast enough so that it doesn't get you killed stupidly.

Anyway what a trivial thing we've cought ourselves in eh? :P

Any chance of a devblog from the team this/next week seeing Rocket off to Everest?

your comment makes me wanna buy a dirty stinking haddock or some large sea mammal and slap you round your senseless head.

You're a towel.

Edited by Post Hoc

I was just contemplating the idea of "constructables" in SA.

I understand Rocket's justification for going with an "instanced" only model, vice an above-ground model.

But, a few things just don't add up for me. I mean, on private servers/mods, there is seemingly no problem with a menial level of construction (i.e. HESCO bastions, fences, etc.). So I'm just a bit confused as to why it's so unfeasible. Wouldn't a better solution to discouraging structures popping up everywhere be to make the resource requirement fairly difficult to fulfill for the individual?

Likewise, what prevents the existing buildings in Chernarus from being "commandeer-able"? (i.e. Putting in a strong door and/or barricading the windows, etc.) I'm just wondering as to why they couldn't have the existing structures of the game be able to be lived in by the player.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

I don't like the thing about holding a button to aim, whats the point? If people want to aim they'll just stick a penny on the button. I like the freedom DayZ gives without being judgemental about wheter people want to play the way they do. Steering people in a certain direction isn't what this game used to be, at least not in such an obvious manner.

There's a HUGE difference between restricting your freedom of playstyle and what the Devs are trying to do.

Playing the game as intended is **drumroll** part of the game.

Of course folk are going to act like their being victimised when the game tries to discourage them from reflex-killing everything that moves. And it'll still be an option anyway.

If the entire playerbase devolved to KoS it would reduce the options for further development in gameplay mechanics.

Anyone who sees the need to hold down a button as a punishment must lead a very sheltered existence.

My most non-opinionated concern is whether or not a default lowered weapon will even affect KOSing at all. I totally get that it's really only a part of the solution, and is on the micro level as opposed to the macro deterrent of managing a complex survival system.

I assume that it's meant to facilitate interaction between friendly players, with a raised weapon being a point of tension. But, I can't help but think that this represents a minority in interaction. KOSing appears to be, largely, the prerogative of the bandit... who will be KOSing regardless of stance.

Edited by Katana67

The humanity system will be a thing of the past (at least in the state we're used to). I think the idea is to create the felling that every player could be a potential bandit/murderer AND a potential ally, and you'd be able to distinguish which by their actions.

In the mod, "bandits" don't always KoS but KoSers always end up with a bandit skin.

If folks insist on playing pure-PvP all the time, it overshadows pretty much all other facets of gameplay. It makes sense to try and allow players to move out of the rut we seem to have gotten stuck in.

It's a means to an end. Might as well wait and see how it plays out.

I hope the game as and when updated through the year will allow more reasons to co-op.

Most can remember the early dayz where people worked together and had real fun! I hope to see that again. However, bandits are a large part of the game in itself, so be it, only problem is there will be no way of identifying who is one. You all know that will mean a return to shoot first and ask later! Shame really.

First time I spawn in chernarus + I would sooner be friendly than a KOS'er.

What I would like to see is player screen when you Loot another player, Is it gonna just show us the same as our players? or will we have to search each pocket to see what they are carrying in a menu like sytem? after all, when you murder someone they don't show you all their wares without some hand in pocket. It would add to the suspense when looting bodies in tense moments! ;)

Sometimes when you find a hoodie or jeans there is gear inside those items.

So yes i imagine if you kill someone you will have to search their pants, hoodie, combat vest, backpack etc etc. It could theoretically take some time to fully loot a geared up corpse.

Which is the way it should be.

• Like 3

A good reason to fill your pockets with mouse-traps, thumb-tacks and poisonous spiders. :thumbsup:

Being able to place a timed bomb in a pocket would be awesome. Like a craftable egg-timer-grenade-thingamagoo. Your friend goes down but before you run for your life you put a nice little surprise on the corpse for the looter to find in a couple of minutes.

Sure I understand that it would take much more from the pc if you would render the grass on the whole view distance etc.

Then they should look for a differend approach, but something should be done. As it is now, its awfull.

Sure I understand that it would take much more from the pc if you would render the grass on the whole view distance etc.

Then they should look for a differend approach, but something should be done. As it is now, its awfull.

you can have a look here :

https://sites.google...gworlds-clutter

To change the grass you can change the values in the config.cpp (no need to rename it back to txt, just open it in notepad). Then make it into a pbo again...

clutterRadius = 1;//1

clutterGrid = 1;//1

clutterDist = 125;//125 (grass and flowers and stuff distance is 125 meters by default)

noDetailDist = 40;//40

fullDetailDist = 15;//15

minTreesInForestSquare = 5;//5

minRocksInRockSquare = 4;//4

Change and play around with the bold numbers to change settings. The last numbers are the default values (just in case ).

cheers

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 1

My most non-opinionated concern is whether or not a default lowered weapon will even affect KOSing at all. I totally get that it's really only a part of the solution, and is on the micro level as opposed to the macro deterrent of managing a complex survival system.

I assume that it's meant to facilitate interaction between friendly players, with a raised weapon being a point of tension. But, I can't help but think that this represents a minority in interaction. KOSing appears to be, largely, the prerogative of the bandit... who will be KOSing regardless of stance.

I've gunned down players who claimed to be friendly while pointing a gun at me. I just don't take chances. Had they not had their weapon raised I would have let them go about their way. It'll really be a tool for vets to recognize threats and a tool for noobs who are still learning who to trust. It's DayZ's form of body language.

Raising the weapon is pretty damn fast though. There will be some wild west moments with this change.

I've gunned down players who claimed to be friendly while pointing a gun at me. I just don't take chances. Had they not had their weapon raised I would have let them go about their way. It'll really be a tool for vets to recognize threats and a tool for noobs who are still learning who to trust. It's DayZ's form of body language.

Raising the weapon is pretty damn fast though. There will be some wild west moments with this change.

Absolutely. The problem right now was that most players look around with their whole body, not only their head. So while one can walk up to someone in a completely non-threatening manner, it is not rare that a guy comes up to you and aims a pistol or something and you just don't know if he's waiting to get a good headshot on you, or he just wants to chat. IRL you might have the gun in your hand but you wouldn't be pointing it at the other guys head when you are friendly.

Other question- did Rocket ever speak about wind? I think wind as implemented in ACE would be great. Perhaps including the ability to set sights left/right and up/down.

Edited by Tigger

I agree.

I like the idea of using a key to aim. That way if someone does point a weapon at you, you can assume he is aiming rather than just looking in your direction.

Atm It is very unnerving to talk to someone as they are pointing their Lee Enfield in your eye.

• Like 1

Yeah, I totally see the benefit in this... and perhaps I'm just inexperienced, as in nearly a year of playing Day Z... I can name two times where I've partnered up with someone.

I think it'll help facilitate these interactions, but I feel like it will be a drop in the bucket compared to other systemic macro choices being made in the SA. That and adding reasons for players to not KOS, like damage-able loot, etc.

• Like 1

I agree.

I like the idea of using a key to aim. That way if someone does point a weapon at you, you can assume he is aiming rather than just looking in your direction.

Atm It is very unnerving to talk to someone as they are pointing their Lee Enfield in your eye.

True, absolute true. it's one of the problem Dayz has now. Maybe you should get tired of holding your weapon, that should help.

Edited by Mitor

True, absolute true. it's one of the problem Dayz has now. Maybe you should get tired of holding your weapon, that should help.

This, combined with the quick action bar, might work very well. If the inventory works so that I can assign items from different slots to the quickbar, as in holstering a gun in my pockets, being able to get a gun out quick should it be necessary you wouldn't feel entirely helpless when removing a gun from your hands but it also won't feel intimidating for other players, opening up for some more tense interactions. :)

Lots of commas in this post. Confusion.

• Like 1

Instead of a separate button, why not just have the gun as lowered, as in how it's animated, until you aim down the sights? Keeps things simple, I've enough keys to think about as it is, lol.

Instead of a separate button, why not just have the gun as lowered, as in how it's animated, until you aim down the sights? Keeps things simple, I've enough keys to think about as it is, lol.

Unbind the spacebar key and you can play exactly like that if you want.

Right click raise/lower your weapon. Holding right mouse bottom - view through sights. Simple and functional.

• Like 1

Right click raise/lower your weapon. Holding right mouse bottom - view through sights. Simple and functional.

Not really. I've had that thought before, but in my opinion, it will be uncomfortable... It might work in quick FPS games like CoD, but not in Arma/DayZ. The reason is that in DayZ we sometimes sit in the bush with a binoculars or our rifle and aim for a minute or so searching for targets... It will be extremely uncomfortable holding the right mouse button for a minute or more... Also, there could be a confusion of when you click or Hold. It's not so easy to calculate just the right amount of delay for every person. And I personally hate hold-to-aim option. I prefer a click to aim.

Oh and by the way, don't forget that ZOOM thing. How else would implement it then?

Edited by osallivan

Why not just make it this way:

1. "Weapon Low Ready" by default - allows for running, jumping, vaulting, and etc.

2. When CLICKING CTRL you toggle between "Weapon Low Ready/High Ready" (weapon down or weapon on hip):

2.a. When weapon in low ready (weapon down) - you can run, jump, vault, but cannot fire.

2.b. When weapon in high ready (weapon on hip, or in this case, shoulder) - you can hip fire but you walk slower (can only run if you toggle back to low ready or hold shift).

3. When CLICKING RMB you aim down the sight (no matter if in Low Ready or in High Ready, BUT):

3.a. When in low ready - aiming down the sight speed will be slower than the speed when aiming from weapon in high ready (when weapon on hip), maybe by 1-2 seconds.

3.b. When in high ready - aiming down the sight speed is instant.

This has been done in America's Army, I dunno if anyone of you have played it, but I really like this system. It should work pretty fine - low ready when you are not in combat, high ready when in combat.

This is also what is happening in real life. You usually walk with your weapon down (low ready), so you can run, jump, and etc. But when you put your rifle against your shoulder (go to high ready), you do not necessarily AIM down the sight. You can't really run or jump this way, though you can still shoot pretty fine. And the third step, you can also aim down the sight (will make you even slower). Now, obviously, it would take you more time to aim down the sight from when your weapon is lowered than if it was pressed against your shoulder...

I mean, it's just sounds pretty neat and simple.

This... is genius! I hope it is just like that in the SA.

• Like 1

I think for most players your left thumb just sits on the space bar as you play. Using the space bar wouldn't be a problem to have as the aiming button since your thumb is already there.

• Like 1

I think for most players your left thumb just sits on the space bar as you play. Using the space bar wouldn't be a problem to have as the aiming button since your thumb is already there.

But that's my hold breath button ;_;

Edited by St. Jimmy