mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

June is just a review of the situation, could be a while after that before we play. Then you have to take pot luck with getting an Alpha key. Wasn't the news I was waiting for this weekend, that's for sure. Ho hum.... :(

Since I don't really want to post a whole thread about it and since everyone will soon get really annoyed/pissed/disappointed I'm just gonna change the subject with a funny little story that just happened.

So I was taking the train home and in the seat in front of me two kids were seated. I would say they were between 10-13, but I'm guessing. I overheard them talking (or shouting, as kids often do) and soon something caught my ear. Apparently they were friends, not brothers, and were going to one of the kid's home to play videogames on an older brothers computer. The kid said that the older brother was playing this really cool zombiegame against other players and the kid knew how to find a way to get "all the weapons and find everyone." Seemed to me they weren't really aware about how that is cheating. I would have said something but the train was full and yelling at two small kids over zombies would have looked pretty weird.

Almost makes me feel sad for when someone in the next couple of weeks comes here to claim "a brother hacked". Oh well!

• Like 4

June is just a review of the situation, could be a while after that before we play. Then you have to take pot luck with getting an Alpha key. Wasn't the news I was waiting for this weekend, that's for sure. Ho hum.... :(

And if you think about it, they're going to be opening up closed testing to a bigger group. It's not like the bigger closed test is going to just be for a week either, and then it goes public. We're probably going to see a July release or possibly September if they encounter some complex bugs.

• Like 1

Since I don't really want to post a whole thread about it and since everyone will soon get really annoyed/pissed/disappointed I'm just gonna change the subject with a funny little story that just happened.

So I was taking the train home and in the seat in front of me two kids were seated. I would say they were between 10-13, but I'm guessing. I overheard them talking (or shouting, as kids often do) and soon something caught my ear. Apparently they were friends, not brothers, and were going to one of the kid's home to play videogames on an older brothers computer. The kid said that the older brother was playing this really cool zombiegame against other players and the kid knew how to find a way to get "all the weapons and find everyone." Seemed to me they weren't really aware about how that is cheating. I would have said something but the train was full and yelling at two small kids over zombies would have looked pretty weird.

Almost makes me feel sad for when someone in the next couple of weeks comes here to claim "a brother hacked". Oh well!

Lend me a tissue dear Victor, because I'm crying with laughter.

The stories were true! Little brothers really do hack your game!

Soon, some guy is going to feel like his dog really ate his homework.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

What I don't understand is why they didn't follow the kickstarter model for the whole standalone project. Chris Roberts' Star Citizen has raised $7million for their game (mainly direct preorders not kickstarter) and they have enough money for a properly resourced Dev team and a very good regular video blog. At $30 a pop you'd need just 250,000 preorders which isn't out of the question, a couple of $mill would've been easy. I know Chris Roberts is a gaming dev god, but Rocket could've mustered enough faith to fully fund the project. As it is, through lack of proper funding, this has the feel of something that will either never be fully launched or never be fully finished. With the history of standalone and the W**Z debacle, people will now actually want something for their money at point of sale, whereas Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous both got away with collecting cash on a promise and got 18months grace.

I suppose what I'm saying is I'd have been happy shelling out money for an unfinished or not started Standalone concept months ago to support the dream but now I feel it's reasonable to question where it's all going and wait until there are results before piling in.

If you want money for a six month project, ask for it at the start or ask for it at the end. Don't ask for it when you're six months in with a projected six months to go.......

Edited by DayZChainGang

Lend me a tissue dear Victor, because I'm crying with laughter.

The stories were true! Little brothers really do hack your game!

Soon, some guy is going to feel like his dog really ate his homework.

I hate children. Especially those between 13 and 17. If it were me I would have cuffed that smelly little spuff square in the neck without so much as a warning. Then i'd sit down and continue to read my magazine.

• Like 1

I hate children. Especially those between 13 and 17. If it were me I would have cuffed that smelly little spuff square in the neck without so much as a warning. Then i'd sit down and continue to read my magazine.

Next thread in ban appeals: FUCK!!1! i WAS ONLY HACKING AND SOEM GUY ON BUS CUFFED ME NECK!! FUCK THIS MOD IWANNA REFUUUUUND!!!!

• Like 2

for everyone who's wondering where the devblogs are,

just think like me "It's always quiet before the storm"........... (storm being the dayz standalone release date)

Edited by KC Pr3lLoX

"It's always quiet before the storm"........... (storm being the dayz standalone release date)

Actually, Rocket is always quiet before bad news.

• Like 3

Actually, Rocket is always quiet before bad news.

And good news.

Generally, he is quiet before saying anything.

• Like 2

for everyone who's wondering where the devblogs are,

just think like me "It's always quiet before the storm"........... (storm being the dayz standalone release date)

lol, did you catch up on news before posting?

• Like 2

They are at PAX East right now so that's pretty unlikely. They are doing a presentation tomorrow so I am sure someone will upload that soon enough.

Very nice.

lol, did you catch up on news before posting?

i did, after I posted tough................................................PR3LLOX AWAY!!!!

• Like 3

and Hall is looking at a possible Kickstarter-inspired distribution model, where players would pay certain amounts to opt into the alpha and snag other goodies, in tiers.

I guess we'll be able to tell if Rocket has slowly descended into madness by the types of goodies that are offered.

That quote is from the article, not actually Rocket. It sounds like bad paraphrasing to me which is always the source of rumours.

• Like 1

That quote is from the article, not actually Rocket. It sounds like bad paraphrasing to me which is always the source of rumours.

I knew it wasn't a direct quote but I found it odd that they didn't quote him saying something about that.

Nonsense like that is why I don't read gaming "news" sites.

• Like 2

I dont have a Pc to even run this yet but he's missed the boat if you ask me, other games like ARMAIII have came out and the interest must be slowly ebbing away!To tell you the truth I'd now play Wasteland in ARMAIII over a Zombie game now but that a bit to do with hackers killing any game i watched on a stream.

What I don't understand is why they didn't follow the kickstarter model for the whole standalone project. Chris Roberts' Star Citizen has raised $7million for their game (mainly direct preorders not kickstarter) and they have enough money for a properly resourced Dev team and a very good regular video blog.

By selling 300.000 or maybe more additional copies of Arma 2 ( my guess) BI should have made enough money to fund the complete DayZ SA development.....

• Like 3

What I don't understand is why they didn't follow the kickstarter model for the whole standalone project. Chris Roberts' Star Citizen has raised $7million for their game (mainly direct preorders not kickstarter) and they have enough money for a properly resourced Dev team and a very good regular video blog.

By selling 300.000 or maybe more additional copies of Arma 2 ( my guess) BI should have made enough money to fund the complete DayZ SA development.....

http://caas.raptr.com/how-dayz-brought-arma-ii-back-to-life/

In fact, in DayZ’s first month, ARMA II’s sales numbers increased 400% to 300,000 units, thanks in large part to the tidal wave of new users interested in trying out the mod. Many months after the mod release, game sales continued to climb steadily until a big sale in July really took things to a whole new level.

image2.jpg

it easily sold more than a million copies of the game

• Like 1

I dont have a Pc to even run this yet but he's missed the boat if you ask me, other games like ARMAIII have came out and the interest must be slowly ebbing away!To tell you the truth I'd now play Wasteland in ARMAIII over a Zombie game now but that a bit to do with hackers killing any game i watched on a stream.

How exactly did they miss the boat? Because people are playing other games?

Too many people are driven by hype and for some reason they think hype and picking the best release date possible are more important than having a game that doesn't suck ass. These are the reasons people blow 50 bucks on a game that turns out to be a massive turd in a shiny package. No matter what, it's a lose-lose situation. If the SA was released back in December and was just a spiffed up mod people would have shat bricks of hate all over the place and claimed Rocket was just after the money and sold us what we already had. If he releases the standalone tomorrow people will still shit all over it and say it's just a buggy mess and cry about how they were ripped off, even if they had to actually read the definition of "alpha" before buying, playing, and quitting the game. If they release whatever Rockets idea of a finished game is in a months time people would piss and moan about the changes and claim he ruined the game.. blah blah blah.

I hope Rocket and Co ignore all of us, say fuck it, and go ahead and release the game in two years.

• Like 7

http://caas.raptr.com/how-dayz-brought-arma-ii-back-to-life/

image2.jpg

it easily sold more than a million copies of the game

It does beg the question, why does the development of a $20-30million product feel so half assed. I'm convinced it's not Rocket's fault, but somebody's doing very well out of all this and I'm not sure they respect the fans