mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

I would much rather use space to vault over fences.

change your controls than

I changed V to Space... guys, keep in mind that even if Space Bar (or any other key) is laying comfortably under your finger, it WONT make it faster or better to do a certain action... IMO, it is kinda silly to aim using the Space Bar... The reason for that is that NO SINGLE GAME I have ever played used this kind of method, which in turn, will require more time to get used to if that will be the case.

There are just in general, predefined actions for certain particular buttons that games use (and that are popular among the average gamers), for example:

Shift to run

Space to jump

X or C to crouch or prone

F or E for the Action key (Use, Pick Up, etc.)

and etc...

So it does not make sense to change them...

Also, why is this whole talk about key bindings was raised lol? Do you guys think that you won't have the option to rebind keys?

Edited by osallivan

DayZ devs shouldn't be swapping their default key bindings around to suit "most other games".

They might as well make spacebar to aim, since space isn't currently in use.

Everyone should be custom mapping their keys anyway.

You should NEVER play with default keys! For any game

I know most FPS have similar settings, but having to learn a control configuration to suit the game is daft, considering you can configure the controls to suit yourself.

In DayZ it'll be particularly important. Muscle-memory will get you killed.

Edited by Chabowski

You should NEVER play with default keys! For any game.

I know most FPS have similar settings, but having to learn a control configuration to suit the game is daft, considering you can configure the controls to suit yourself.

In DayZ it'll be particularly important. Muscle-memory will get you killed.

That's what I'm saying. We were earlier talking about the mechanics behind that whole running and aiming and low/high ready toggle. This can not be changed in the game. So we were just discussing how this can be improved to suit all of the players. I just had one suggestion. From the video in PAX, I didn't really like the way it is done at the moment and it does not have anything to do with key bindings...

Well if you're talking about function, remember most (if not all) "hold to perform action" keys have "toggle" settings too.

Run, Freelook, Zoom out etc.

I wouldn't worry about it. BI guys are VERY good with custom settings. There's no reason to believe DayZ will be any different.

Space bars and discussions about who shoots first. Sounds familiar,

• Like 1

Greedo clearly just wanted out of the bounty-hunter business, by any means.

Skillfully managed to make it look like manslaughter.

Genius.

There are so many bounty-hunters because of how coconut acts in zero gravity.

Bounty is NOT a suitable spacebar. So they have to be destroyed.

• Like 1

what are the odds of a dev blog this friday? I will bet one pair of nvgs i don't have that there won't be one,

I think I'll be using spacebar (hold) for sprint (mass-effect style) and spacebar (tap) for vault, with c to ready my weapon, x to toggle crouch, and z to go prone.

what are the odds of a dev blog this friday? I will bet one pair of nvgs i don't have that there won't be one,

I think there will be, but PAX kind of took up last weeks devblog. Have you watched PAX yet?

ive read some transcripts, it all good news except for the alpha possibly being out in june. *shudder*

I think there will be, but PAX kind of took up last weeks devblog. Have you watched PAX yet?

I think PAX was definitely worth a lack of two devblogs, considering how much information it showed us.
  • Like 2

I think you should have to type "raise weapon" before you can aim.

go and play CoD if you want fast shoot outs..... :P

ive read some transcripts, it all good news except for the alpha possibly being out in june. *shudder*

They are reviewing it in June.

Not really. I've had that thought before, but in my opinion, it will be uncomfortable... It might work in quick FPS games like CoD, but not in Arma/DayZ. The reason is that in DayZ we sometimes sit in the bush with a binoculars or our rifle and aim for a minute or so searching for targets... It will be extremely uncomfortable holding the right mouse button for a minute or more... Also, there could be a confusion of when you click or Hold. It's not so easy to calculate just the right amount of delay for every person. And I personally hate hold-to-aim option. I prefer a click to aim.

Oh and by the way, don't forget that ZOOM thing. How else would implement it then?

Try aiming through sight in real life and you'll understand it is not that comfortable either. Try doing it for a minute or longer and you'll realize holding a button is much easier ;).

Maybe aiming down sight should be more uncomfortable?

Try aiming through sight in real life and you'll understand it is not that comfortable either. Try doing it for a minute or longer and you'll realize holding a button is much easier ;).

Maybe aiming down sight should be more uncomfortable?

You are exaggerating. A game should not torture the player, nor your mouse/keyboard lol... Maybe you should have a little device that will kick you in the nuts every time you are being shot? :P You know... cuz in real life it hurts too! :D

Also, I owe a couple pellet rifles. I don't see anything uncomfortable aiming them... Snipers, for example, can aim for hours if needed...

Holding a button for a minute - Silly.

Edit: ^ Sarcasm you know... <.< gosh...

Edited by osallivan
  • Like 1

Also, I owe a couple pellet rifles. I don't see anything uncomfortable aiming them... Snipers, for example, can aim for hours if needed...

Holding a button for a minute - Silly.

LOL.

• Like 1

I have a great system in ARMA 3. Middle mouse raises and/or lowers gun, leaving the other two for your normal functions. Solved, and everyone doesn't look like a threat.

Edited by evoxtom