rocket

The Notorious Can Incident

This thread is an embarrassment, please just lock it and let it die.

This is the kind of mentality we should be getting away from. Instead of looking at a few of the posts and deciding it unworthy except for the negative comment, you could contribute to what we're trying to build here. Any suggestions on a more cohesive dialogue between developers and the varied communities?

Perhaps we should have a round table once a month, where community managers from the various places DayZ fans reside can condense the opinions and concerns into something deliverable to the developers, and have them respond, making sure every community is equally voiced and the communities and know what to expect. Perhaps if it's successful, do some sort of streaming of this round table every other month so the community members can participate, to an extent, as individuals. Perhaps more efforts should be made, by respective community managers, to find members to help expand on the development team to help get the major issues handled a bit faster, and each community can get content relative to them. We need to start somewhere folks, and tearing each other down isn't going to help us build up DayZ, and makes us no better than the zombies we slaughter.

If anyone happens to lock this thread: this post is a worthy final statement!

• Like 1

How many times do I need to say, the can issue is just the flashpoint - the cause is the communication and systemic issues. This is what matters. It will be addressed. Until then, supporters/detractors - GO CLUB SOME SEALS

Why do I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing a screenie of this post soon on CNN, Fox News, or the PETA website, very very soon.......

"Breaking news just in: Lead DayZ developer, Dean Rocket, has just been outed as a seal poacher. Further investigation pending".

Edited by OfficerRaymond
  • Like 1

.... You all sound like the fucking war z community. Cans? No Cans? who cares, Stop being dickbags to eachother.

EWWWWWWWWWWW....

Don't even mention that damn game on these forums.

In fact, best way to stop this bullshit can crap, is to start talking about WarShit with everyone.

Unite the peoples under one banner! :thumbsup:=== ;)

Instantly removing the items was the only right thing to do. There's been an outcry, the devs reacted immediately, good work. Doesn't matter if it's a minority or not, it's a sign that the devs actually care about and follow the community discussions.

@Dev Team: Give the whole thing a few days to cool down, then make an *official* poll on a third-party website. Post that here and on Reddit (and whatever else larger community there may be) and based on that, decide whether to put them back in or not.

And make sure people realize how exactly the names are implemented. That it's not a huge flood of strange ridiculous abominations in your inventory list, but only the 3d models that show them.

• Like 1

You know, something occured to me.... Some of the whole outrage about the cans may have been down to simple jealousy. How many people looked at the names on them and though "Fuck you! I've been playing this game dince day 1 - where's my fucking can of muffins?"

Put another way - Would the many people who complained about the new items have gone mental with rage if the devs said they'd decided to name an in-game item in their honour?

Just sayin.....

Can the derpy hooves and zlzy soda be removed and the others stay? Seems to be those two over everything else the reddit community is raging over.

I picked up all the new items last night instead of old- I'm going to starve at camp now. Can someone deliver some pizza to me- preferably without a name so it doesn't get removed either?

Hahaha epic <3

get me one aswell please.. with peperoni unless its too ridicilous aswell :(

EWWWWWWWWWWW....

Don't even mention that damn game on these forums.

WarZ is a game? I thought it was a failed ponsy-sceme... ;-)

WarZ is a game? I thought it was a failed ponsy-sceme... ;-)

Fuck, I had something caught in my throat, I meant to vomit instead of say game.

See? Just puked in my mouth.

Just sitting back watching and reading some of the comments and arguments people are having with one another.

It's sad to see what is usually a friendly and helpful community turn like this over (in my opinion) something that isn't a huge deal. I can see it really does mean something to some people here and means nothing to others, but my point is don't throw your beans at each other over it.

Edited by floomoo NZ

Instantly removing the items was the only right thing to do. There's been an outcry, the devs reacted immediately, good work. Doesn't matter if it's a minority or not, it's a sign that the devs actually care about and follow the community discussions.

@Dev Team: Give the whole thing a few days to cool down, then make an *official* poll on a third-party website. Post that here and on Reddit (and whatever else larger community there may be) and based on that, decide whether to put them back in or not.

Completely disagree. I know why they did it; kind of had to, but it just highlighted the character of some in the "community".

Bottom line, the Dev Community are the ones putting in all the hours for FREE. AFAI am concerned, that gives them a much more signficant stake and say on what is developed and implemented. DayZmod.com is the place where all news resides, and should continue to be. They should be able to focus on development, and not community organizing. If this was a product for SALE, that'd be an entirely different story, but it's not.

All this over some fucking cans?

Seriously guys you all need to grow up dont you think?

Its a mod for christ sake!

Everyone that got their name on a can deserved it and it is quite sad that with all the hard work they do, people still don't want to give them some recognition.

Edited by Hockeyguy
  • Like 4

What The WarZ forums are dying so they all came here or something? Im too lazy to find out why there was new cans added then removed. Dafuq would anyone give a shit about this is beyond me...

The new food and drinks never really bother me. As long they serve their purpose of filling my thirst and hungry, I have no qualms over it.

I actually find it alright since there's no real credits page for Dayz. Even if there was a game/mods credits page, would many visit? No. We need to give credit to the people who are helping us fix the mod with their OWN FREE TIME. Fixing it isn't exactly as fun as playing it so give the team a break.

Although I think it should have been more subtle or discreet to avoid such a backfire, perhaps their personal logo/tag on the can's skin/logo.

Just giving a suggestions.

Edited by squarebox

What The WarZ forums are dying so they all came here or something? Im too lazy to find out why there was new cans added then removed. Dafuq would anyone give a shit about this is beyond me...

Apparantly, it somehow ruins immersion... <_<

• Like 2

Just seeing this circus encouraged me to sign up to the forums after playing DayZ Mod for months on end

I tend to think im passionate about this mod as any other player i honestly play this game 5-6 days a week. In simple terms i love it.

But the sense of entitlement by some of these players/posters that are "outraged" by these changes need to go find something else to whine about seriously.

This is a mod , a fantastic free mod , which is updated reguarly.

I am truly gratefull that Rocket and all the devs are passionate about this project, who dedicate their time in developing this free mod and especially for interacting with the player base to get our feedback (remember this isnt kickstarter where anyone has outlayed any money...)

Adding new food items with some querky names does not break / add any hinderance to the mod

Also i checked out the link previously of the food models and they look great!!! :)

Lets leave the devs to do their thing and enjoy the content before jumping down their throats :/

Please continue to make the mod i love better

Edited by Dodgeviper
  • Like 2

Thanks Rocketman, we have indeed lost sight of the higher road.

New clothing for next update; Rocket's Sealskin Boots. Reduces noise when walking on pavement.

Careful now, such addition as boots may require a poll or two.

Without the sarcasm though, I found pretty much all of these cans and I still can't help it and they look but funky and thats all to it. I could barely and I mean barely even read whats on em. Neither I have any idea why some insist that those cans should look more russian and from 40 years ago. For exampe, the fancy black SUV, the suburban doesnt exactly fit either if thats the case except it carry nobody's name.

So whats the problem? I'll tell you;

While mods are assured of how everyone appreciate their time and all that, there are some that have serious issues with ponies (or how you call these) and therefore with their names and that's all to it.

I came to conclusion that issue with cans is just bullshit because honestly, if ya all seen them ingame, the names are so miniature that there's just no way these brake any immersion to anyone.

Furthermore, all but one from all the complainers demand a complete removal of said items which is funny and only convincing me further of my opinion, as any reasonable human being would try to work out some kind of compromise, like different textures or making them rarer, but no, entire removal is apparently the only way this should be dealth with.

Edited by Colonel-Wicked
  • Like 1

If ya all seen them ingame, the names are so miniature that there's just no way these brake any immersion to anyone.

Man if you don't zoom at the can on the floor or read it's description you don't even notice it. All this bashing is just ballocks. The brony food for example in the inventory is called, Canned Muffins. Just like this....

• Like 1

Man if you don't zoom at the can on the floor or read it's description you don't even notice it. All this bashing is just ballocks. The brony food for example in the inventory is called, Canned Muffins. Just like this....

Yes I had good close look at the majority of them and they're indeed as you say. I almost couldn't even read the description

It annoyed me back when rocket started using reddit. In his own words for the simple fact it has an upvote option. Okay sure, whatever... that's cool, you do what you gotta do. I never signed up for reddit, but as months went by..

hey... did you hear about this?

uhm... no, I didn't.

oh? I saw it on Reddit.

so as time went by, more and more I felt left out because of the simple fact I wasn't a part of another community. I could have just signed up or went there more often, but I didn't. Why should I be required to check multiple sites for information on a game?

I didn't realize there was such a heated debate over this can problem. Honestly I thought they were stupid. I think some of them are just plain half-assed. I actually like Fraggle-O's but I mean... not much of an attempt to be timid, or even believable for some. at the same time It doesn't matter, just because if they were going to be put in, who is to say they couldn't be taken out. I'm sure the #1 priority was removing the current name-brand items before SA alpha steam release. giving us.. months and months of time to come up with proper replacements or better themed items. I wasn't going to take it upon myself to start a thread or join a flame war. It annoys me, but it doesn't break the game i love.

The bigger problem... is the lack of communication between communities. if there was a counter for hours logged in or posts read. I'm sure I'd have thousands of hours on this forum. Wake up, have coffee and breakfast on the forums, get home, have dinner on the forums for months on end. I just think its beyond retarded to be forced to go to multiple social networks to just keep on track WTF is going on with this game.

• Like 1