griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

what can i say, i think that engine are so crazy to work with.... like a weather, nobody knows for sure would it be raining tommorow, but we know for shure thats gonna be a spring soon.....)

Looks great but Im not keen on the white lettering when picking up items etc Looks good as it is

Looks great but Im not keen on the white lettering when picking up items etc Looks good as it is

I think all the UI/Fonts etc look pretty 'cheap' at the moment, I expect they are just placeholders though.

Good to see an FOV option in there but will there be a number assigned to it? I think most people tend to have a particular FOV that they stick to in games like 90 or 100, and it would be a lot easier to just be able to enter this number and play than to have to fiddle with the slider for ages trying to get the perfect setting.

Everything else looks awesome though, and the fact that you're so unwilling to show the new inventory system is more exciting to me than if you had shown off an amazing one, it means you absolutely have to keep it under wraps because it's so great that you don't want anyone...*ahem* taking inspiration from it...(You're Winner!). Either that or you just haven't finished it yet and you're bluffing so we don't get too alarmed!

After I double checked it was not dayz: matt and rockets version of ken and Barbie, dressing each other up. It felt like we were snooping on the beginning of a sitcom, I noticed matt was all to happy to remove his clothes, things that happen in the dayz: SA offices eh.

My views:

1. Loot looked cool and glad to see it wil take a while to clear each building.

2. Inventory sounds excellent ( big fan of original Xcom game), like how clothing has functional pockets. It will make a big difference to choosing items to keep and where. Does that mean u will ave to keep clips in you ammo belt or pockets so u can quickly access them. Much like the inventory currently but more structured and hopefully easier to use.

3. Buildings to enter, looks like lots of building to explore cant wait.

4. Island looked cool and I saw a post about a wreck that would be awesome as well, swamp was bit meh about didn't do much for me but will make a nice cosmetic change.

Nice little teaser, read some comments about colour of underwear, font, menus etc.. Think it's bit to earlier for nit picking I have done programming and cosmetics are usually last to put in. Get it stable enough to test then break it and when happy change little things, in any case why do people care about the font as long as u can read it, good enough for me. I think they have bigger things to worry about than the colour and type of underwear.

Unless of course this the start of rocket secret underwear the mind boggles....

EDIT - Any chance seeing a vehicle damage in next or near future video blog? One thing that I personally feel needs as much attention is vehicle damage.

What I mean is vehicle damage seems to be rather random and while some rock/tree/tall grass/sunflowers and chickens...can make you loose a wheel or two and severely damage and make even

explode your vehicle, other times quite reckless driving doesn't seem to do to car anything or braking window/s at best

This was annoying in the mod. Especially when it came to the tractor. You only had to do a little bump into the tree or even scrape the paint work and you will fall out of it bleeding to death and the tractor will then explode.

• Like 1

People : It's the small thing's which create the great big thing's. The specific locations for Loot Spawn's is one of this; It add's to the realism & immersion that you are one of a handful Survivors, scavenging a vast land just to guarantee you'll live on another day. If you hurry through a Building, you're likely to miss a Can of Beans which may in-turn lead to possible starvation when you're in need on a long trek through forested lands.

Yes, it may not seem much, but when you're creating, in it's most basic form, a completely new style Engine for a completely different Game to what it's designed to do, It's quite a lot. Dean and the various other Development Team members spend day's on end looking at Code, to-wit they're rewarded after week's with a few improvement's when they eventually test them. The sheer amount of dedication needed to do such is quite incomprehensible to any Fan waiting - So, I beg of you, just accept thing's may not be to your complete expectation yet, and be happy they're putting so much effort into it so on release it will meet them.

At least the color of your underwear should be pre-configured ^^

Doesn't have to be camo pattern, but something a bit closer to what people would wear would be nice.

I also don't like those shorts. I'd feel more comfortable If I'd wear regular boxers.

I wear boxer briefs and I don't care what color they are. I'd wear pink ones if it meant keeping my junk out of my zipper.

Uhm, I'm a little disappointed about animations, I was expecting some improvements like in Arma III. IMO movement speed is way to fast, looks unrealistic and make it hard to move inside buildings.

Which is why I walk inside buildings rather than run or sprint. The walk keys was next to the wave key. ;)

• Like 1

I'm happy with how the standalone is coming together. Really loving the good work that is being put into it. :)

a swamp in the vicinity of a sea does make sense, as they exist as well. But yeah i too thought of stacking up the creep-factor of the game and that's where the movie-based stereotypical idea of a swamp hits my mind.

edit: now there has to be a SKUNK APE / SWAMP BEAST!!

it looked cool, but I was wondering why anyone would go there. no loot, no cover... just looks like a good place to die

but yeah, hopefully there's other swamps

• Like 1

I'm also curious how people will get to Utes

hopefully there will be more boats, and swimming will be better. maybe an option to make makeshift rafts

one thing is that swimming through freezing cold water to an island a few hundred meters off shore isn't always the most realistic thing. anyone's that been to Alcatraz can probably appreciate that

• Like 1

Simply amazing, game looks stunning!

it looked cool, but I was wondering why anyone would go there. no loot, no cover... just looks like a good place to die

maybe the swamps will end up being like the body recycling pit in waterworld xD

*drag body to swamp* "Oh look theres like 30 other people doing the same thing, dont see me, dont see me, don't se... Oh snap they saw me"

• Like 1

Another thing I'm quite interested to know, how hard/ easy it is to now pick up a gear of off the ground / high-ish grass and will gate and dorr opening be more intuitive, meaning do I have to run around gate to find the ''pop up'' menu to open it?

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

Another thing I'm quite interested to know, how hard/ easy it is to now pick up a gear of off the ground / high-ish grass and will gate and dorr opening be more intuitive, meaning do I have to run around gate to find the ''pop up'' menu to open it?

he opens a gate in the video. it looks like the same system. hopefully it will be easier to find the 'magic' spot

• Like 1

That's kinda cool though, just a place a smart person would avoid. :) Is it worth wasting 25 minutes to go around it or just take the risk going through?

I wish there was some way to make hiking through woods slower, like how vegetation slows you down in real life. It would probably kill a cpu with a realistically detailed forest but just some kind of speed decrease might simulate the results. Like people who have been hiking or learnt to read maps would now: sometimes it's faster to take the longer route!

That's the thing. They "appear to be heading", but I personally didn't see things heading in any direction. A minor graphics improvement, new locations, clothes, and that's it? It just makes me wonder do they have anything else to show or is this all for the moment. Well, maybe it's just me...

The only thing that got me excited is seeing more enterable buildings - this is really awesome, but again I allready knew that from Q&A's

You clearly underestimate and have no idea about how hard it is to rebuild/redesign/restructure a game engine. Me, being a gamedev student, I just can't complain. Rocket with his team is doing an incredible job on the game. It's not only adding completely new features into an engine from a flying simulator game, but it is also implementing the whole map from an old version of the engine to a newer one. This takes plenty of time. AND they also have to make it in such a way that you won't be yelling "Moooom, those hackers are pissing me off!!!".

I think all the UI/Fonts etc look pretty 'cheap' at the moment, I expect they are just placeholders though.

I am pretty sure they are. I think the menu is not the main focus atm, so they made some quick buttons and etc. The final product will look much better and polished.

Edited by osallivan

The clothing looks great. I have an idea for the on ground clothing looks. I'll post it in the suggestion forum

Suggestion is up!

Rocket, You should check it out. http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121926-clothing-durability-on-ground-models/

Edited by Vindicator

That's kinda cool though, just a place a smart person would avoid. :) Is it worth wasting 25 minutes to go around it or just take the risk going through?

I wish there was some way to make hiking through woods slower, like how vegetation slows you down in real life. It would probably kill a cpu with a realistically detailed forest but just some kind of speed decrease might simulate the results. Like people who have been hiking or learnt to read maps would now: sometimes it's faster to take the longer route!

yeah, it depends on the woods. where I live now in Louisiana, you pretty much need a machete to get 'off the path'. where I'm from originally in Massachusetts it isn't nearly as bad

I imagine in-game you run into issues with how many trees, bushes, etc you have on screen. they should at least make it so walking through a bush greatly slows you down, and/or injurs you

Although that was super awesome.....It was also awkward as hell.

Although that was super awesome.....It was also awkward as hell.

you could tell they just threw it together. it cuts off a couple (slightly important) things Rocket was talking about. and then just ends...