griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

While we wait for the game or more sneak peaks , here are some of the games from which Rocket is being inspired to do the new inventory...

Nice post, and interesting to speculate. Personally I like this kind of old avatar doll that you can dress and equip, and preferably view in real-time third person - for me this makes 3rd person view in the game unnecessary as you can see your character in full detail anyway in this inventory screen. Of course you don't get to see your female avatar's ass as you run ( which i'm sure is the ONLY reason most 3rd person players play like that anyway ;) ), but it's the best compromise in my opinion.

I also love the idea by Cinnabuns about using foliage to make your own camo gear. Beans, good sir/madam.

Edited by 6raham
  • Like 1

It would be nice if some more comunication with the current playerbase is involved.

You just can't change some crucial game aspects just for the sake of changing it,without even consulting it with the comunity. By that i mean just the recent patch,who asked for nerfing the alice packs and reducing it's size down to 16 slots? In the patch notes i have not seen that change nor was it mentioned anywhere else. Same with the modified loot tables in the mod,all i see is some trash cans and watches in the supermarkets and don't even let me started about the buildings of high value(military tents and baracks).Nothing good ever spawn there so it is prety pointles to even go to the airfield and expose yourself at risk of being shot .

First thing first: Create poll about what the gamers think about the upcoming change notes,not just changing them because somebody feels like it.

Did you guys see Rockets last twitter?

I think we're going to get the game in about 3 months from now. I remember he was mentioning something (sarcasticaly) about how he will "rise" in one of his blogs. and now the twitter says it :P

Edited by osallivan

If I had a three-screen, then I'd have nothing against 1st person :D

If I had this set up.... 1st person would be the shit!

• Like 2

Oh fuck aye!

Would fit in your sittingroom easier than this anyhoo.

EDIT: won't embed, must be to do with the "start at - 0:00" thing.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

When is the next one? it was implied they where doing it every monday night.

yeah exactly, or not.

"rocket2guns - The plan is to release a devblog every Friday. I've tried not to talk about it much on twitter because everyone (including me) gets absolutely sick and tired of all the announcement of announcements.

I haven't had the chance today because it's been an incredibly busy day, I won't work on the devblog at the expense of the project. I may end up doing it tonight, or I may end up doing it tomorrow. Or I may do it on Monday. It depends what disasters befall me between now and then.

Regardless - the official position is this: Friday's are Devblog days. But the devblog is a lower priority than actual development itself."

Cant wait..so far it has proved WarZ to be a bad game..although i like WarZ its a big scam!

PLS KEEP HELI CRASHES!!

Ad better inventory like 1 button u hold down to pick it up..pls do inventory like warz

Am I the only person who read this and thought WTF?

It would be nice if some more comunication with the current playerbase is involved.

You just can't change some crucial game aspects just for the sake of changing it,without even consulting it with the comunity. By that i mean just the recent patch,who asked for nerfing the alice packs and reducing it's size down to 16 slots? In the patch notes i have not seen that change nor was it mentioned anywhere else. Same with the modified loot tables in the mod,all i see is some trash cans and watches in the supermarkets and don't even let me started about the buildings of high value(military tents and baracks).Nothing good ever spawn there so it is prety pointles to even go to the airfield and expose yourself at risk of being shot .

First thing first: Create poll about what the gamers think about the upcoming change notes,not just changing them because somebody feels like it.

The patch notes may not be as clear or as detailed / descriptive as we would like sometimes, but both of those changes your talking about were in the notes.

http://dayzmod.com/f...od-1751-update/

* [NEW] - New zed & loot spawn systems rewrote Phase 1.

* [uPDATED] - Backpacks updated.

* [uPDATED] - Limted amount of ammo found with weapons.

* [uPDATED] - Changed Loot tables to increase the supply of Antibiotic drops.

post-7113-0-57072100-1360943918_thumb.jp

*shrug* it is all in good fun though, so don't be mad :-P <3

well just saw bohemias press release on the arma 2 complete collection

it kind of negates the argument of arma being a game for itself to render the argument of buing dayz twice invalid when they mention dayz 3 times while trying to market arma.

Perfect choice for all new DayZ devotees!

Everything you need for the DayZ Mod* and more.

*DayZ Mod requires Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead to run, plus Arma 2: Private Military Company to display all textures in the highest quality - all are included in Arma 2: Complete Collection

http://www.bistudio....lete-collection

im sorry but thats kind of sad and cant get clearer than this. making people pay 2 times for dayz is clearly intended. like ive said in the past, people that buy arma, at least from now on, should get dayz stand alone for free, why?, they are marketing arma 2 as a base for dayz and not because arma 2 is a good game by itself. at least theyre now stating the obvious, that people are buying it for dayz, i give you that.

Edited by white

well just saw bohemias press release on the arma 2 complete collection

it kind of negates the argument of arma being a game for itself to render the argument of buing dayz twice invalid when they mention dayz 3 times while trying to market arma.

Perfect choice for all new DayZ devotees!

Everything you need for the DayZ Mod* and more.

*DayZ Mod requires Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead to run, plus Arma 2: Private Military Company to display all textures in the highest quality - all are included in Arma 2: Complete Collection

http://www.bistudio....lete-collection

im sorry but thats kind of sad and cant get clearer than this. making people pay 2 times for dayz is clearly intended. like ive said in the past, people that buy arma, at least from now on, should get dayz stand alone for free, why?, they are marketing arma 2 as a base for dayz and not because arma 2 is a good game by itself. at least theyre now stating the obvious, that people are buying it for dayz, i give you that.

You buy Arma II (+OA) for $30 usd. The SA might cost from as low as $15 to $25 (just estimating) which doesn't really break the bank in my opinion. Even if you're a high school kid without a job. Stop putting "$5 on it" or don't go out on the weekend for one or two weeks and save that money your mommy and daddy give you to purchase the game. Simple.

IF you're an adult with a job... no excuses like above. Stop crying about getting the game for free... not gonna happen.

Edited by twinturbonet

You buy Arma II (+OA) for $30 usd. The SA might cost from as low as $15 to $25 (just estimating) which doesn't really break the bank in my opinion. Even if you're a high school kid without a job. Stop putting "$5 on it" or don't go out on the weekend for one or two weeks and save that money your mommy and daddy give you to purchase the game. Simple.

IF you're an adult with a job... no excuses like above. Stop crying about getting the game for free... not gonna happen.

the issue here has nothing to do with having or not money to pay for it, which i have to spare on my steam wallet already. is misleading people into buying a game to play dayz while the same company will launch a whole another dayz in a couple of months, and charge for it again. as you can notice, the press release mentions nothing like "play dayz mod while the stand alone isnt out yet" or something like that, which mislead most of the consumers which also arent well informed. and it would be fair to do so, after all its the same company behind both games.

its a matter of being clear to costumers and not misleading them into having to pay twice. it was either a very poorly made press release or a clear engagement of milking the mod prior to the stand alone launch while withholding more information that could help ill-informed costumers.

and i believe your estimated price is wrong, ive read it would be something like 28 euro.

Edited by white

the issue here has nothing to do with having or not money to pay for it, which i have to spare on my steam wallet already. is misleading people into buying a game to play dayz while the same company will launch a whole another dayz in a couple of months, and charge for it again. as you can notice, the press release mentions nothing like "play dayz mod while the stand alone isnt out yet" or something like that, which mislead most of the consumers which also arent well informed. and it would be fair to do so, after all its the same company behind both games.

its a matter of being clear to costumers and not misleading them into having to pay twice. it was either a very poorly made press release or a clear engagement of milking the mod prior to the stand alone launch while withholding more information that could help ill-informed costumers.

and i believe your estimated price is wrong, ive read it would be something like 28 euro.

I gotcha. Yea, I guess a disclaimer of the SA coming out soon would be nice. Still doesn't negate a free game though.

Yea, my estimate was based on what I've read within the forums. I'm not really sure if maybe my currency might have been wrong. I'm sure someone else will chime in on what the estimated price is.

There is a reason rocket stated several times in the video that it's an early pre alpha version of the game. You can expect everything to change in the coming months/years. And you should be excited about it.

And first rule : you don't say bad things on BI. Ever. They are the greatest of all, and the UI is... I would say post modern. A nice mix between eurotruck simulator and windows 95. Not that bad at all !

No offense man, but I doubt "retro 90's" is what the dev team is going for with the UI. Call it postmodern if you like. It limits the appeal and commercial viability of the product. I seriously doubt that it is intentional.

No offense man, but I doubt "retro 90's" is what the dev team is going for with the UI. Call it postmodern if you like. It limits the appeal and commercial viability of the product. I seriously doubt that it is intentional.

I don't think Rocket is concerned about commercial viability.

Current marketing strategy around the initial standalone release will involve asking people NOT to buy it yet, in the hope lower numbers do
Probably most interesting marketing meeting I've ever had... "how do we make less people buy our game on release, so it has stable growth?"

Straight from his twitter

Yeah, stable growth has nothing to do with commercial viability.

touche

Hey,

I'm really excited about the release of this game but some small feedback or question (as designer) are you going to keep that interface?

The layout looks pretty aweful, hopefully you'll change it to decent (non-gradient buttons (that's pretty much the year 2000)) and don't use a serif font, change it to something simpel and clean. Also try doing something different than a black border to make it readable because that doesn't look nice either.

If this is just to show the gameplay and you'll change the interface later on, I understand but if you weren't planning on changing it, please think about it or else you could hire me?

Anyway love the game can't wait :)

-Ignace

Edited by Ignace

Chill, jesus.... That menu is just a placeholder. I am sure they will tweak it and make it prettier. It is going to be the same overall, I mean, I guess, the layout and the colours will stay the same, but not the font/button size and etc. I am sure their UI artists understand it. We all know that it is not an important thing now :)

Edited by osallivan

So as it looks like now another 6 months before release of an alpha or beta. Could have just waited for Arma3 and used that engine. Anyways keep up the good work

Owww its getting close

Hey,

I'm really excited about the release of this game but some small feedback or question (as designer) are you going to keep that interface?

The layout looks pretty aweful, hopefully you'll change it to decent (non-gradient buttons (that's pretty much the year 2000)) and don't use a serif font, change it to something simpel and clean. Also try doing something different than a black border to make it readable because that doesn't look nice either.

If this is just to show the gameplay and you'll change the interface later on, I understand but if you weren't planning on changing it, please think about it or else you could hire me?

Anyway love the game can't wait :)

-Ignace

The menu's we've seen so far haven't been near the art department yet, they are purely there to be functional at the moment as they are still in heavy development. Making them look pretty is the last stage of the process. Anyhoo, old thread, Locked.

Edited by Fraggle