griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

no-ones moaned about the military base not being shown? I'm impressed.

It looks to me like the video is split into managable bits for future releases.

I am so astounded by the look of the game, gonna be a whole new experience playing in the dark going through those buildings.

• Like 1

I just peeked out of my window to check and the sky was indeed blue and quite saturated. Yesterday, it was more of a whitey/grey. The weather will change in the game too meaning that so will the sky. Thanks for reading.

Totally off-topic, but I seriously can't be the only one that thought your avatar was Mortal Kombat's Sub Zero when seeing it scroll by when reading threads.

Right?

The Additional Island is great. We need more land! ^^ But would it be, maybe, possible, to add a airplane-carrier somewhere, if there is a model in the game? I could imagine it a great adventure if you had to go by bus or heli to look if there is any loot.

Imagine this;

A storm has passed over Chernarus over night, while you are scavenging for beans you hear your short range frequency radio emitting sound but you can't quite make out what sound it is. You step outside for better reception. The signal is still weak but you can make out enough of the words to understand the message, it's an automated distress call apparently coming from an American cruiser which was sent to Chernarus to investigate the source of the infection. You run along the coast while holding out your radio, going towards wherever the signal becomes stronger. Then, of in the distance you see a huge derelict ship, stranded along the coast. Most likely brought there by the wind and waves during the night before. You decide to take a closer look...

Needless to say that this ship will have it's crew either dead or infected and have some interesting loot, maybe even a clue as to what happened on this ship and what they managed to learn about the infection. (like logs, diaries, etc) It could be programmed as a dynamic random event too.

Edited by Menny
  • Like 3

Totally off-topic, but I seriously can't be the only one that thought your avatar was Mortal Kombat's Sub Zero when seeing it scroll by when reading threads.

Right?

Lol, you see what you want to see I guess. it is in fact my bean-man with a Clockwork Orange theme and a luminous green mankini for extra shizzle.

I don't like where they placed the swamp... I pictured it as some dark, overgrown place in the middle of the woods, not some kind of beachy paradise.

I agree. Chernarus desperately needs some mid-map water obstacles, like at least on decent-sized river. Hopefuilly some more significant water features will be added in the center (more swamps would be nice).

No it's been requested on the suggestion forums, but rocket never mentioned itbeing an actual feature. I don't even think it would be possible in terms of performance, and would require so much extra texture the game data might become 40gb or something...

You only really need 1 texture for that, overlay it on all items and just gradually change the transparency of it depending on the item's current durability. 2mb image file and a few lines of code. ^^

Being able to quickly assess an item's condition based on how dirty it is is something I would almost consider a mandatory feature for this game to be honest.

• Like 5

Imagine this;

A storm has passed over Chernarus over night, while you are scavenging for beans you hear your short range frequency radio emitting sound but you can't quite make out what sound it is. You step outside for better reception. The signal is still weak but you can make out enough of the words to understand the message, it's an automated distress call apparently coming from an American cruiser which was sent to Chernarus to investigate the source of the infection. You run along the coast while holding out your radio, going towards wherever the signal becomes stronger. Then, of in the distance you see a huge derelict ship, stranded along the coast. Most likely brought there by the wind and waves during the night before. You decide to take a closer look...

Needless to say that this ship will have it's crew either dead or infected and have some interesting loot, maybe even a clue as to what happened on this ship and what they managed to learn about the infection. (like logs, diaries, etc) It could be programmed as a dynamic random event too.

Okay, how about fuck you. I have chills down my spine now.

• Like 2

I just hope they add some loot in the trash piles even if it's only 1 can but this makes you feel a more real feeling of scavenging.

I am now wishing for the standalone game even more. I just hope people wont be killing me for the hat/gasmask/sun glasses/cargo pants(warz nod) i got because it looks cool.

You can be like, point a gun to your head and scream Stop, shoot and I'll make a hole in this gasmask!

Like holding hostage your priceless items

• Like 2

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!1

Looks really good the new map.

Bist du ein bandit ich will dich im die swamp gestirbt.

edit: not on a German server btw. Yeah, Germans only speak German on German servers. Try to speak English to most Germans on a server that is German, they`ll be like "whawhawhaaat??"

Edited by pastelpunk86

It looks great! :)

I kind of hope that the fonts and menu they are using are just placeholders though. They could definitely use a bit more style.

• Like 4

It looks great! :)

I kind of hope that the fonts and menu they are using are just placeholders though. They could definitely use a bit more style.

That's what I thought. I'd imagine they are. I guess polishing things like that up will happen further down the road when they know exactly how the UI will be laid out.

• Like 3

White tank top and white briefs for underwear, me thinks. I don't like the blue either, reminds me of Mass Effect or something. If you have all white, you could see dirt or blood stains a lot easier, which will look a lot more roughed up and 'apocalyptic'. I really like the blue sky tho, I just wish the environmented was more saturated as well. I like the colourful environments in contrast of a gritty, gruesome situation. Oh well, looks like I'll just be turning up the saturation for my screen (like usual).

Still, wish there was an improvement on the animations and speed like others have suggested. I was really hoping we'd see some footage of climbing up a ledge, or wall or something. Oh well, maybe next time :D I hope they eventually add underwater swimming too

Excellent vid.

It's odd but I'm quite excited about the things they chose to edit out of the video. It's clear that one of the areas of focus for the dev team has been a full overhaul of the inventory screen. It's reasonable to say that the inventory is ready to be shown off, so why not show it? Because they have come up with such an elegant solution for inventory management that they want to keep it under wraps until later in development. Just in case it's nabbed by a certain IP thieving big rig truck enthusiast.

• Like 1

All that for less than £20? Damn good model, damned good.

I hope Utes is closer, I tried swimming to that smaller Island and it took me bloody ages. Did i see a crashed chopper in the Swamp?

I am gonna love searching around now, no longer in and out, have to really look, and nice to see 3rd person and has 1st person been changed? seemed a bit wider?

One thing is for sure I will need a new computer for this game. anyone know the settings they used?

+1 for searching addiction, I'm also a huge scavenger, remember not being able to leave a sector in JA2 until every little cupboard had been checked for loot :)

• Like 1

Seriously? I mean, I can't even.....Yes, I'm betting your the only one who feels that way.

Sorry, Sir, but my experience is telling me that what has been shown and announced indicates something went really wrong in 2012. So far I have seen global renderer tweaks and a few new models, pretty much every major feature has just started being worked on or in the pipeline still.

Uhm, I'm a little disappointed about animations, I was expecting some improvements like in Arma III. IMO movement speed is way to fast, looks unrealistic and make it hard to move inside buildings.

The new crouching animations look a bit like the WarZ, in fact with the new renderer settings the whole game has that WarZ look, (not a bad thing IMHO as it was always one of the few WarZ's good points)

• Like 1

Sorry, Sir, but my experience is telling me that what has been shown and announced indicates something went really wrong in 2012. So far I have seen global renderer tweaks and a few new models, pretty much every major feature has just started being worked on or in the pipeline still.

Nothing went wrong, they decided that instead of just releasing a souped up mod they were going to do things properly and start from the ground up to make a standalone game they can be proud of. That's why the whole timescale for the development has changed.

Much of the work already completed can't be shown in a short devblog like this as it involves massive changes to the engine and will completely change the way the game plays out.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Personally I have to admit I'm a little disappointed about how effing awesome this video update was.

Added completely new clothing system.

Added completely new world architecture.

Added completely new scavenging concept.

Swamps!

Utes!

And still left out lots to keep us hooked.

Sweet.

• Like 2

The new crouching animations look a bit like the WarZ, in fact with the new renderer settings the whole game has that WarZ look, (not a bad thing IMHO as it was always one of the few WarZ's good points)

WarZ? Who is WarZ?

White tank top and white briefs for underwear, me thinks. I don't like the blue either, reminds me of Mass Effect or something. If you have all white, you could see dirt or blood stains a lot easier, which will look a lot more roughed up and 'apocalyptic'. I really like the blue sky tho, I just wish the environmented was more saturated as well. I like the colourful environments in contrast of a gritty, gruesome situation. Oh well, looks like I'll just be turning up the saturation for my screen (like usual).

Still, wish there was an improvement on the animations and speed like others have suggested. I was really hoping we'd see some footage of climbing up a ledge, or wall or something. Oh well, maybe next time :D I hope they eventually add underwater swimming too

I agree. It's all about the contrasts, which I think is more interesting than a constant dark, rainy end-of-the-world cliché environment / atmosphere. Dare to believe that there is the possibility of beautiful weather even though humanity's going to hell because of a nasty infection.

Oh, those swinging arms... really lightens things up a bit. That and the sunshine. Praise the sun!

I just peeked out of my window to check and the sky was indeed blue and quite saturated. Yesterday, it was more of a whitey/grey. The weather will change in the game too meaning that so will the sky. Thanks for reading.

A blue sky? Well we have had a fairly nice week. Considering well it's English weather.
  • Like 2