griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

They added in an entire island, and a swamp?

Man, I need to invest in a tanning bed, 'cause I'm never coming out of my room.

• Like 2

Well, that just a real incredible work. I come from WarZ where I was perma ban under the forum trying to ask for the truth. You are doing a great job, and poeple are talking a lot about this video under the WarZ forum, I think you have to expect a lot of new players when the game will release. Keep taking your time, don't hurry, don't make this game a desaster, you are in the right way to do a great game.

/Edit : I was one of the poster under WZ forum to ask clothes, you did, and better than that, you are making from it a real usefull thing and clever thing for the gameplay. I just love it. Sign : Your wardrobe fan

Edited by Blobmaster

Also, if they're adding swamps I hope there's going to be rivers too with proper sources like large lakes up in the mountains

Looks amazing... but what functionality will the swamp have? I mean sure it looks cool and is another feature in the map, but is there any reason to go there?

Keep up the good work!

for the people discussing the swamp...

this area has been a boring piece of grassland untill now...

it is a swamp you would find for example on the krim...don't expect every area to be made for combat...stealth or any other action...it will be us ..the players... who will write the stories...

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 2

for the people discussing the swamp...

this area has been a boring peace of grassland untill now...

it is a swamp you would find for example on the krim...don't expect every area to be made for combat...stealth or any other action...it will be us ..the players... who will write the stories...

Captain Ellipses; my old nemesis; we meet again; let the battle of hyperpunctuation; BEGIN!!!!

• Like 1

Love it! Utes I feel will drag even MORE people south though...

I'm becoming worried about map flow and there being too much high-value loot everywhere. With the addition of more airfields, military camps, and barracks, I just think military stuff will be much easier to find, which is already incredibly easy as it is right now in vanilla DayZ

I'm hoping the airfields/barracks are removed. Sounds like it could possibly be a prison island.

• Like 4

I don't like where they placed the swamp... I pictured it as some dark, overgrown place in the middle of the woods, not some kind of beachy paradise.

They said there are other swamp areas too. That is just an example of one of them.

I know what you mean though. I'd like to see a dark foreboding swamp in thick forest with a deserted bunker in the middle, lovely. Don't forget too that all of the footage and pictures so far have been on bright sunny day's. The new weather system will add a lot of atmosphere.

^

I just peeked out of my window to check and the sky was indeed blue and quite saturated. Yesterday, it was more of a whitey/grey. The weather will change in the game too meaning that so will the sky. Thanks for reading.

Blue as fuck here too, i am glad they did not go for the 'post apocalyptic' greyish- yellowish-redish- brackish skies.

Can't get why people are so excited after seing the video...

DayZ has always been greater than the sum of it's parts so when trying to show off just one individual thing it takes imagination to understand how that will affect the game in many ways. Some see a tin of beans on a table, other peoples minds go wandering off with exitement at all of the possibilities this unlocks.

Sometimes i love you Fraggle, this is one of those times /manhug.

it looked cool, but I was wondering why anyone would go there. no loot, no cover... just looks like a good place to die

but yeah, hopefully there's other swamps

there is :)

And whoever mentioned working tides..great idea.

Captain Ellipses; my old nemesis; we meet again; let the battle of hyperpunctuation; BEGIN!!!!

... < they are one of the greatest series of dots that we can use when writing on the interwebz. There is no one true correct way to use ... or not use them...so there ;)

I'm hoping the airfields/barracks are removed. Sounds like it could possibly be a prison island.

This. Would be nice if there was a low level weapon spawn , some food and other standard items. Could be a nice spot to ride out the apoc without it being a standard pvp area ...'because barracks'.

Love it! Utes I feel will drag even MORE people south though...

I'm becoming worried about map flow and there being too much high-value loot everywhere. With the addition of more airfields, military camps, and barracks, I just think military stuff will be much easier to find, which is already incredibly easy as it is right now in vanilla DayZ

As far as your reference to the dayz mod, the large presence of high powered weapons is largely in part due to duping. In the standalone, I'm sure this will no longer be a problem. Also, they can code high powered loot to spawn at a much lower rate. Maybe even base it off how much high powered loot is currently on the map whether it is still un-looted or in someone's possession. This in conjunction with the weapon overhaul which includes much more civilian type guns rather than military grade guns and your worries should be set aside.

Now that would be crazy. Would definitely add more contrast to the map and it would totally flip the perception of the island. I think the island would have a much bigger impact as a prison island.

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 2

I think I have a problem with the video, hope someone could help me: Why when it's 14:49 it doesn't continue? Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

This might be best idea I've heard in a long time. It would be abso-freaking-lutely amazing to explore a prison island.

This must happen......

Edit...weird sentence change

Edited by Phooey

i would love to see some greater structures,i don't care which one. abandoned small scale football stadium, prison-facilites...or how about a mental facility like shutter island! By Great Odin's raven!!

Dean Hall@rocket2guns

Looking for 3D artist with focus architecture + environment design, e.g prisons and military bases: portfolio to matt.lightfoot@bistudio.com

PLEASE.

Edited by Guisho
  • Like 3

Has Rocket every mentioned anything about stamina and getting rid of the ability to just run forever? That was a major reason why the infected weren't anything to be feared and I thought it greatly took away from the game.

i would love to see some greater structures,i don't care which one. abandoned small scale football stadium, prison-facilites...or how about a mental facility like shutter island! By Great Odin's raven!!

I would love to see a huge prison put in. Big enough so that you can spend a decent amount of time exploring it. It would be crazy getting a bit lost in it at night and running into another group of players in there.

I think I have a problem with the video, hope someone could help me: Why when it's 14:49 it doesn't continue? Thanks in advance.

Weird, at 15.02 they start showing the new backpacks and a nice glimpse of the inventory system, skip to 16.36 for the new zeds and 19.82 for the thriller.

• Like 5

Has Rocket every mentioned anything about stamina and getting rid of the ability to just run forever? That was a major reason why the infected weren't anything to be feared and I thought it greatly took away from the game.
IIRC He's mentioned that running out of stamina would be one of those things that just has to stay "gamey" for the sake of pacing.

I see his point, forcing people to walk because they're tired would severely slow down gameplay. But I too would like to have a little bit of cardio-management.

Maybe it'll be fine to "jog" forever, but sprinting will beef your character until he just falls down?

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Fingers crossed fellas.

EDIT: Oh, and who made Rocket Skywalker? I literally fell off my chair at that one.

Edited by Chabowski

*Cloths being worn out/dirty over time*

Where'd you see this? Would be cool, just don't remember hearing it.

No it's been requested on the suggestion forums, but rocket never mentioned itbeing an actual feature. I don't even think it would be possible in terms of performance, and would require so much extra texture the game data might become 40gb or something...

Ah, yeah it hasn't been confirmed by rocket. But looking at this (http://dayzmod.com/f...yz-concept-art/) very old thread which had offical concept art for DayZ mod (I assume it was still being overlorded :P by rocket at this time) I think that something along these lines may be in the works.

As far as performance - I couldn't say how something like this would effect the game. But if I could put up with Max Payne 3 being 40gb, with its limited content, well you get the point.

Edited by Hoik

why do the character models look so fit and clean shaven? Also why are the clothes unstained and untorn? Is this high school musical or a post apocalyptic world

why do the character models look so fit and clean shaven? Also why are the clothes unstained and untorn? Is this high school musical or a post apocalyptic world

This is just the base model. I think stuff starts to transform over a certain period of time.

All clothes starts out clean and it's not very difficult to shave. You don't even know how long after the outbreak this is.

I know we haven't seen it yet, and this is more of a suggestion than anything else, but I think that when you do show off Female characters, they should have a different walking animation. I am not saying that their flashing their asses out, just you do not see too many women walking like a guy. It's definitely more gentle.

Weird, at 15.02 they start showing the new backpacks and a nice glimpse of the inventory system, skip to 16.36 for the new zeds and 19.82 for the thriller.

Oh.

I think all the UI/Fonts etc look pretty 'cheap' at the moment, I expect they are just placeholders though.

I really hope that they choose to build the UI based on function, vs. trying to make it look like a survivor / horror theme. The fonts that they are currently using are thin and difficult to read. Need to utilize standard sans-serif fonts with bold clean lines. Also window popups, tooltips, other elements that enhance user experience.

• Like 1