rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

Yup, get that demo and get practicing, there's a few hours of fun right there. I've got a feeling good pilots will be valuable players in the SA ;).

There was lot's of criticism about the engine choice for the SA originally, I hope it's beginning to make sense to some of the critics why it was the OBVIOUS choice now :)

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Heli controls potentially being ported in from TOH yet, I thought many would find that controversial because it'll make life much harder in terms of flying. I love the idea though. Thoughts?

I wonder if FinkOne's suggestion had some influence

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/113619-take-on-helicopters-dayz-sa/

I wonder if FinkOne's suggestion had some influence

http://dayzmod.com/f...opters-dayz-sa/

I hope so. I know the devs read the forums a lot so very possibly. It's one of the reasons I posted in the forums originally, because the devs use it as a resource for ideas and always have. It seems like a logical choice for me as most of the work is already there, just waiting to be used and they've already said they're using the same weather system so the wind/turbulance would already be a part of the SA too. Good times ahead methinks.

Edited by Fraggle

I think we should start giving some negatives on what we've been shown so far, that way, they can capitalize on their mistakes now and not see it in the standalone. Here's some of my thoughts:

- The bean cans look a bit too big for being your average cans. I'm more than assured that this is probably just an early test of seeing how it would appear on tables, although sizes of things may be good to be looked at now than later.

- If these are on Normal settings, this is damn good. Nice job.

- I don't think the team has a lot of things to play with, but will we see an update from DX9 to DX10 or 11? I know that ArmA 3 is having DX 10 and 11, maybe there is a possibility of those being included. That may also stop a possible console port. I dunno, maybe they will see how things play through.

- With optimization, what do you mean by improvements? Will you see something like a budget system being able to handle this system extremely better, or minimal performance increase? I know there was a lot of console players that came over to the PC market in order to play, but were on a budget to begin with. If there are engine improvements with optimization and whatnot, what can we really expect?

This is looking sweet.

• Like 1

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Heli controls potentially being ported in from TOH yet, I thought many would find that controversial because it'll make life much harder in terms of flying. I love the idea though. Thoughts?

Hell, i brought take on helicopters a month or two back... with the sole reasoning that i figured there was a good possibility, they would use the controls from that.... and who knows... they may add a large city map in the future too... :rolleyes: So bring it i say

How will characters be having new pairs of pants every few minutes since they will be wetting them constantly just because of the thrill of playing SA?

And no I shall not keep my Pants on...

Okay, i do not want to start a war about adding childzombies being morally incorrect, but rather focus on a community/business standpoint

please dont do that. not because it is generally considered immoral, but because it might lead to a ban of the game in many countries.

this could massively limit the player support, and the media would tear the game apart for how violent it is and how the game caused so many people to go rampage and kill people and all that bullshit.

even if it adds to the atmosphere, and drama, and moral decisions... it will harm the game from all sides!

please just dont do it.

Because bowing down to censorship is so much better? This type of shit should NEVER be a reason why not to do what you want too... It wouldn't be the game that was wrong but the law in countries that apply censorship on media (what ever the form it may be).

• Like 1

Theres a few good mods for Arma (SMK is a good one) that allow climbing over walls and much more dynamic movement in general, I'd like to see something more like that than bunny-hopping. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vklOq6KFQy4

A little over complicated because it's a mod but you get the idea.

well that would make the game ALOT more awesome... i am not sure if id manage to get full use of these controls, especially whitout a proper tutorial. but it looks alot more cool than complicated, so you got my full support in bringing this idea to the devs if it isnt already.

the moving animations seem to be alot more fluid, and there are alot of useful poses for each situation. i want to see snipers crouching, bandits do blind fire over corners in city combat, survivors climbing over walls...

keeping the fonts small, for not going toomuch off topic and cause fuel for raging discussions: there is one major concern i have: alot of these controls dont seem to work so well in first person. when you got such a huge amount of body control, you really wanna know what you are doing. on one hand, blind fire really is BLIND fire, in first person, on the other hand in real life, you'd at least know in what general direction you are shooting. there is absolutely no feedback in first person what your character does. if they would add such animations, i for my part would prefer third person, but then again exploiting might be the case, so i really hope they could fix third person so that the camera is only movable in directions in which your character could actually see.

as far as TOH controls go, i am more than happy adding the realism and challenge of flying a helicopter.

this makes a group alot more diverse, as there can be different experts for different jobs.

I for my part was the worst helicopter pilot, i always let my friend fly. another friend was a very excellent sniper, and i was the guy who was good at orienting, and i knew the map pretty well and was able to follow the stars, find water sources and such. together we made an excellent team, and everyone fulfilled a very special role, i want this to be even more extended int the SA

Edit: and good luck with these controls on a freakin console... there are not even 10% of buttons on a controller required to play that game...

Edited by Wep0n
  • Like 3

So, if the release for the test is any day, how long could it be til we see the retail?

I have not played Take on helicopters but from this reveiw I dont think it would be a good idea to just dump this sim into DayZ it seems it would go from one extream to the other, I do fully agree it should be harder to fly but it should not be so hard that you would almost kinda know how in real life after, Alot of DayZ players don't know how to drive in real life but every single one of them would be able to drive a car in the SA.

http://epdaily.tv/al...c-video-review/

EDIT: Knew my damn link would fail :)

Edited by ow1

- With optimization, what do you mean by improvements? Will you see something like a budget system being able to handle this system extremely better, or minimal performance increase? I know there was a lot of console players that came over to the PC market in order to play, but were on a budget to begin with. If there are engine improvements with optimization and whatnot, what can we really expect?

Matt talked a little about that in the interview

Q: Will the system specs for the standalone be higher or lower then DayZ mod?

A: That's a good question, I'd say work off the same specs as the mod, we have made some significant efficiencies with it but whether we want to use those efficiencies in order to put more zombies in or do something else that's going to eat up resources to the point where we are back to where we started hasn't been decided.

I want to know if the game is gonna give me consistent performance. as it is, the mod gives me rather spotty performance that seems to depend on a number of factors

So, if the release for the test is any day, how long could it be til we see the retail?

That all depends on the stability and bug reporting of are fine moderators/streamers/randoms.

if things are working out as expected im sure not long after..

but as of right now all you could say is "when its ready"

Alot of DayZ players don't know how to drive in real life but every single one of them would be able to drive a car in the SA.

It's pretty damn easy to drive a car even a dog can do it :

Edited by Bat
  • Like 3

The closed beta

Just to clarify - this is in an Alpha stage, not beta. Many features will be added to the initial release.

• Like 1

How can I find out when streams are available to watch? Thanks guys

• Like 2