rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

- Child models have been looked at

Maybe the wording of that should be modified a little? :P

Because, I sure hope we're talking about this:

http://i.ytimg.com/v...H-kIfM-BQ/0.jpg

...and not about this!:

http://image1.frequency.com/uri/w234_h132_ctrim_ll/_/item/2/2/4/5/Stewie_Calvin_Klein_Diaper_Model_Family_22451284_thumbnail.jpg

/(JOKE)

Edited by Jony_RocketInMyPocket
  • Like 4

SWEEET! just let me know when i can throw money towards the project. Im in line for pre order purchase. Sounds and looks amazing.

SWEEET! just let me know when i can throw money towards the project. Im in line for pre order purchase. Sounds and looks amazing.

+1

Looking forward to it !

Edited by badgerz

It can't be April coz Rocket said he's to climb da mountain so won't be around for the critical bug fixing, crashes, etc. The game will be released earlier so that he can have time to support the game in it's most critical moment - the launch. Then after they are certain it's stable and all he can go climbing, diving or whatever. That's how development precess works.

I'd say late Feb or the beginning of March to have time for all those things.

Edited by MACtic

April!??

(Yes, I stole the video. Credits to the guy who made it. Couldn't find the guy in the forums anymore, his post is buried somewhere in the DayZ SA Discussion thread)

• Like 1

I so wish I would've been streaming and producing youtube videos. Then maybe I would've been a little closer to being able to be one of the closed beta testers. Oh how I would love to be able to be involved in it. Always thought it would be great to do alpha, and beta testing of games. Was a dream of mine for many years, but alas I doubt it will ever happen. Anyway yeah I'm so looking forward to the public release. I've been busting my butt to get my new pc built for the release of the standalone.

Okay, i do not want to start a war about adding childzombies being morally incorrect, but rather focus on a community/business standpoint

please dont do that. not because it is generally considered immoral, but because it might lead to a ban of the game in many countries.

I'm not agree. Why even care about the mainstream media in the first place? And even bad advertisement is still advertisement. People will want to try this insane immoral game and realise how it's no big deal and how it is not focusing on "killing children" at all.

But that's just my opinion and I'm not in "business" or "media" so I don't know and don't really care. hell everyone kinda like and play GTA and yet it's like the most controversial game ever.

please devs don't be pussies and do what's feel right from a game design/artistic point of view.

EDIT : It will add a lot to the atmosphere if done well. To avoid controversy just make very clear they are not human anymore, make them look very frightening and scream and all and there won't be no problem at all. but if they look too "childish" in their behaviour yeah that could be uncanny.

Edited by Bat
  • Like 2

My concern with the inclusion of "child zombies", is just the timing really. It would seem in pretty poor taste to have an issue like this to publicize in such immediate proximity to the recent shooting in Connecticut.

I don't really care either way, I don't really think they add -that- much to immersion and I wouldn't mind at all if they were included. I just don't think it's worth it given the current climate, not making a judgment call just dealing with reality.

What I think would add a bit of immersion, is female zombies obviously... with different sounds, animations, skins, etc. Also, just more varied zombies in terms of skins... What do we have now? Two or three types of military zombies, a cop, a few farmers, a few hunters, and a few business suits? There needs to be more variety of zombies. Seeing a diverse field of zombies, rather than three types copied and pasted would add much more to immersion I think than just adding children.

EDIT - I realize that it has been indicated that the above suggestion about female zombies and more variety is due in the SA, just making a comparison.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

Maybe it's just a dev/programming term. As in "Parent objects" and "child objects". Who knows, I don't, worth thinking about before we go off on one though. If we get to question the devs again I'll be sure to ask though.

Regarding the copy/pasted zeds in the mod, that's because it's a mod and they just used existing assets. Expect more in the SA.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Regarding the copy/pasted zeds in the mod, that's because it's a mod and they just used existing assets. Expect more in the SA.

Totally, was just making the "immersion" comparison a bit more apparent vice simply adding child zombies.

My concern with the inclusion of "child zombies", is just the timing really. It would seem in pretty poor taste to have an issue like this to publicize in such immediate proximity to the recent shooting in Connecticut.

Oh yeah well forgot about the recent events in the US :(

would be a pretty bad timing indeed

Maybe it's just a dev/programming term. As in "Parent objects" and "child objects". Who knows, I don't, worth thinking about before we go off on one though. If we get to question the devs again I'll be sure to ask though.

EDIT : DOsO2.png

The sentence might also mean : "we looked into it, but decided it would be a waste of ressources" or something

Edited by Bat

We are now commencing work on the redevelopment of the infected people (zombie) models themselves. This will be an exciting area of work for our artist who is dedicated to this task. Initially we will be producing male and female, I would like to look at the possibility of children infected - but there are technical (required new skeleton and baked animations), possible legal (rating issues), and even moral (shooting children) issues that need to be faced.

...I would say females will be included....

for the children....I think there are too many barns in the game....

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 1

I have no problem with that child models thing but the politicians will abuse this to say: look parents look how evil the game industry are! ban this game! then the violence will stop!

I just don't like discussion about violence in games and i don't want to see how dayz then tear up by some media monkeys and yes after the school shooting would be a bad timing!

• Like 1

Rocket discussed the use of child zombies on the forums a while ago. His opinion then was that the controversy and/or legal issues with it not being released on some countries just wouldn't be worth it. Of course things change at at this point in development nothing is written in stone.

• Like 1

What I think would add a bit of immersion, is female zombies.

Agree completely. :beans: