rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

cant see any open topics about updates for the mod, will there bee any? afterall theyr development is separate right?

Rocket is just a dreamer. I really wonder what the drive actually there all day. So slowly you lose confidence in the project ...

Instead of constantly doing interviews, constantly or to be celebrated on any game show, he should be even better gas, and watch the the stand alone for so long gets into gear ....

rocket just twitted this about the closed test :

"Closed test? Here's the deal, I wasn't happy with the zombie anims or the pathfinding at all. So redoing for the closed test."

• Like 1

Rocket is just a dreamer. I really wonder what the drive actually there all day. So slowly you lose confidence in the project ...

Instead of constantly doing interviews, constantly or to be celebrated on any game show, he should be even better gas, and watch the the stand alone for so long gets into gear ....

This forum gets weirder by the minute.

• Like 9

What's so strange to express their opinion about the project?

Everyone sees what it chops, I think Rocket is hard to simply not enough, and can grind the project. A test with the community would be much better and more versatile instead of 500-100 man!

it is frustrating that one minute it's "we haven't worked much on the zombies, but that's something we'll work on later..." and "the closed test will not be fun..."

and then "the closed test has been delayed to work on zombies..."

• Like 1

Everyone sees what it chops, I think Rocket is hard to simply not enough, and can grind the project. A test with the community would be much better and more versatile instead of 500-100 man!

yep I agree and I think most of us will do also.... you should be project leader and create the game of our dreams instead....

ah just joking..

I would like to know where I can buy these mushrooms you are obviously eating all day long

• Like 3

...btw..I am really happy to see the zombies getting overhauled or at least improved for the test and initial release..

Now that Ivan and Martin are back (and hopefully getting adjusted to their freedom), I'm hoping that they can offer some assistance and guidance to Dean in regards to the standalone.

I say, if it isn't up to scratch, don't release it. The bitches will whine at the delay, but it will be nothing like their bitching if you deliver it and it falls below expectations.

Just remember, all we really want is something stable, that addresses the major issues of the mod, with a decent degree of polish, and most of all, fun to play. Everything else can be added in later by update.

• Like 3

I think this is fun. They athleast give us some idea of what they are doing to make the game work. Ok. So we wont see the standalone yet. But it makes the waiting a bit easier for most people. And since they actually are working on this. Maybe we will get some more teasing pics too. Hey. For all we know it will come out by the end of the month.

• Like 1

The mod is basically a big test. If they are implementing basic structure at the moment there isn't much to test anyway. A focused test group where every feedback and/or input gets attention is probably far more effective than 200 people saying the same thing over and over on a forum.

I don't have an issue with the delay. the thing is if a few dayz ago someone said they would prefer Rocket work on the zombies, the RDF would form like voltron and jump all over them, like "Rocket said the closed test wouldn't be fun. maybe you should stick to COD. rah rah rah"

but now that Rocket has said that he wants to work on the zombies, the RDF is like "don't worry about these cry babies. take your time Rocket..." <_<

I don't have an issue with the delay. the thing is if a few dayz ago someone said they would prefer Rocket work on the zombies, the RDF would form like voltron and jump all over them, like "Rocket said the closed test wouldn't be fun. maybe you should stick to COD. rah rah rah"

but now that Rocket has said that he wants to work on the zombies, the RDF is like "don't worry about these cry babies. take your time Rocket..." <_<

probably things are going better than expected atm and now with the inentory being done Jirka is now free to concentrate on the Zombie stuff....the zombie overhaul is one basic thing that should to be done for the initial release ( at least in my eyes) ...if they now have the chance to even get it done before the test...great....sometimes planes have to be changed for the better...

• Like 1

it is frustrating that one minute it's "we haven't worked much on the zombies, but that's something we'll work on later..." and "the closed test will not be fun..."

and then "the closed test has been delayed to work on zombies..."

They said they haven't worked on theragdoll model for zombies. I think pathfinding was always going to be worked on. The ragdoll is just as important imo, as without it you don't see the massive fps improvements it can bring and that can then free up some room for other upgrades. Even so I think it's coming later..

It is not defending when you just accept reality. The reality is the game is not finished and issues will continue to arise. Hopefully these issues are sorted out quickly, but I much prefer waiting to getting a bad product. They should not even give an ETA unless they are fairly confident they can meet or beat the ETA, that is why there is no firm date given at this time because they are not at that point yet. I am also impatient as a fan to fire up the game, but my impatience does not lead to wanting a worse product just to scratch that itch. I am not saying "take your time" I am just accepting that it will probably take time. I would love to have the game tomorrow, reality just dictates that it is not an option and since I have no control over the issue I can just sit back and wait.

• Like 5

It is not defending when you just accept reality.

no doubt. I just wish people had the humility to appreciate that they are very mean and snarky towards some people when they offer their perspective on the 'reality' of the situation, but completely understanding when Rocket basically says the exact same thing

• Like 1

Once we get testing it will give the devs a much clearer idea for a release date.

but completely understanding when Rocket basically says the exact same thing

That is just closed minded people and how fanboyism works.

• Like 1

no doubt. I just wish people had the humility to appreciate that they are very mean and snarky towards some people when they offer their perspective on the 'reality' of the situation, but completely understanding when Rocket basically says the exact same thing

I fully admit that I might give these specific developers more leeway than others since I highly respect some of their past statements and decisions (my personal favorite is his response months ago to micro transactions), but I do understand that sometimes those in the RDF get a little carried away with the love for Rocket. He is in fact fallible and I actually thought his complete radio silence before and after his self imposed deadline were mildly annoying, I just happen to agree that a better game is what most of us want and not just some slapped together product for consumption.

I will now recite ten Hail Rocket's as atonement for mentioning my minor disappointment with the standalone delay so my fanboy card is not confiscated by the baby blue team.

• Like 1

Rocket clarified a little here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/172d2q/closed_test_delayed_because_of_zombie_animations/

WhiteZero - "Odd, this tweet says they just started working on pathfinding today.

Also, the OP tweet doesn't really mean it's been delayed, just that they are working on pathing and anims specifically during the closed test"

rocket2guns - "Yes, this. It's not really fair to say it's delayed, it's more that I wasn't happy with the zombie pathing/anims to the point of saying that it would form part of the closed test."

I fully admit that I might give these specific developers more leeway than others since I highly respect some of their past statements and decisions (my personal favorite is his response months ago to micro transactions), ...

What was his response to that?

What was his response to that?

"If by part of DayZ you mean, part of the list of things that would make me eviscerate myself and jump out a window, then yes. But if you mean an actual feature. No, quite the opposite. I am strongly opposed. However, curiously enough, there seems to be a large number of people who not only don't seem to mind marketplaces but actively defend them."

Found in this thread, was closed so could not quote directly. http://dayzmod.com/f...-it-mean-to-us/

Had to look up micro transactions and eviscerate.

Edited by Zombie Jesus

There is a grain of truth in it, remember in what state the mod was released and how it quickly became popular by word of mouth despite gaping flaws. Now I feel Rocket has fallen victim to the same disease that affected Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever developers. Without strong management push towards a set release dates developers left to their own devices will just keep scrapping already completed parts of the project for something better and there is always something better.

P.S. I think Rocket understood the danger when he originally said that he must release *something* by December. IMHO, changing the scope of the project midway is always a recipe for disaster.

Edited by ZlobaRUS54