rocket

20 words or less: Super-Low Humanity Detection

YES

As I understand it the survivor's own heartbeat is what they are hearing, simulating tension when they've picked up on subtle clues that another person is dangerous.

YES (but)

VISUAL NOT NEEDED!

AUDIBLE noise heard by players/zeds from 0-100 meters. I am a bandit and I want this.

If you run into a true bandit who just kills on sight, you won't have time to even hear their heartbeat, you would literally be dead in a heartbeat.

...I think this may be too subtle.

And if we're talking about being able to hear them even when they're behind us, that's too much of a punishment. Being sneaky and try to bypass players with this heartbeat would be thrown out of the window.

YES

This is pretty fucking brilliant idea if implemented correctly. I say this as a person who had murdered many, many others. The heartbeat is accurate as that is what is happening right before I do the deed :p

YES

IMO: Only when detected, not by player radius.

PS. I like these threads!

No.

It's an artificial mechanic that favours certain playstyles over others.

Banditry is a way of life that some people choose' date=' and that's fine. But being a bandit should be no walk in the park. It should be HARDER to be a bandit/murderer than not. Why? Because other non-bandit characters spend a great deal of time finding loot, etc. Bandits can just kill them and bam, all that work goes out the window and the bandit now has great loot. And that's fine, that is a great part of this game. But I think it should come with some disadvantages that non-bandits do not have.

[/quote']

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think people are trying to come up with ways that don't involve direct advantage/disadvantage lists. In real life, banditry would be the easiest way out, at least in theory. The only real incentive to not bandit would be because of one's own mortality.

You make a great point. The only problem is addressing playability. True, in real life, being a bandit would be the easiest way. And I know this is a difficult game, and it should stay that way. But for playability purposes, I think SOMETHING needs to be done along these lines. I think the community would agree that there is a general "kill on sight" mentality in the game right now. This may not change that. But it is a step in the right direction to help calm down the "deathmatch" that is currently going on, and may encourage players (strangers) to help each other out once in a while instead of constantly killing each other.

Players will play how they want. I'm sure there are other people like myself who want to find other people in the world and work together. With the current setup, that isn't really possible. I don't have a choice but to kill anyone I run into because they may kill me first. Sure, that uncertainty makes the game fun, but it doesn't allow certain people to play how they'd like to. I hope that makes sense.... Is the heartbeat system a solution? Maybe, maybe not. But I strongly believe in order for DayZ to thrive, something has to be done about the rampant and random killing of other players.

YES!

You're the man, I hated the crows/flies so you scrap it and a few hours later come up with something I can get behind. Well done.

YES.

Make audibility inversely proportional to humanity with a logarithmic scale (1 kill - 25 meters, habitual PKers alert everyone in the city)

Yes, worth a try. DemonGroover beat me to it. I, too, would be curious to know how it would affect low humanity players who group together. I've never bandited/murdered, but I'm thinking about it,sadly. That constant heartbeat sound would make me nuts before long. Will there be some way to disable it for those who choose to play that way?

NO

If someone is standing within "heartbeat range" chances are he wont kill you anyway. (Whats the point in standing 5m from your victim?)

It would totaly suck if you decide to team-up with someone just to get shot because they heard your heart :huh:

This is it - to put some FEAR into those who have killed lots of people. They won't see their humanity' date=' so they wonder... (can they tell I'm a killer??!)

[/quote']

I like the idea but what is preventing me to just ask a buddy of mine if he can hear a heartbeat when he looks at me..

NO.

People will shoot strangers anyway. It's a game, people don't trust others, there is no gain.

No' date=' people will shoot strangers anyway. It's a game, people don't trust others, there is no gain.

[/quote']

From my personal experience, none of these are entirely true.

YES

As a new player, and no skin detection for bandits/etc, realism is increased and tenser moments are added with this.

YES

(until a degree)

I like the idea with the % chance of not hearing it.

YES

- but every death, the humanity counter resets to 0 regardless of what you did in previous life.

- add more things to increase humanity (idk wat there is in place right now apart from blood transfusion and such)

When near a bad player, your character reacts like it does in panic mode (short gasps). Call it subconscious tension if you will.

YES.

Make audibility inversely proportional to humanity with a logarithmic scale (1 kill - 25 meters' date=' habitual PKers alert everyone in the city)

[/quote']

uh. That is way too much

I don't understand why a simple (maybe not so simple?) holstering of weapons wouldn't work? If this is about trust and SoS. If someone has their gun out either gtfo or shoot. If they don't you have time to talk it up. If they draw on you? You have time to gtfo or draw yourself. Too western-y/boring or what?

NO

I think you will need more incentive/consequences to prevent people from murdering preemptively to protect themselves.