rocket

20 words or less: Super-Low Humanity Detection

ADD YES OR NO AT TOP OF REPLIES!

Okay, some rules for this thread:

1. DISABLE YOUR INSTA-BUTTHURT!

2. NO responses longer than 20 words (myself included!)

3. Keep an open mind, sense of adventure, and desire to experiment!

4. If you are going to suggest something else, keep it relevant to this topic (i.e. not "FIX LAG NAO")

5. ADD "YES" or "NO" in the line above your comment.

THE PROPOSAL:

- When you look directly at someone closeby who has VERY low humanity, you hear a heartbeat noise.

- Lower the humanity, the louder the sound.

- Distance away decreases the sound.

- Humanity is no longer listed in the Debug monitor.

- Humanity is no longer a HUD item.

- Ergo, you don't know your humanity level directly, i.e. you don't know how others will perceive you.

SOME NOTES:

I asked around after work and we had a discussion. This is what we came up with. I think it's pretty cool, because it puts some of the uncertainty onto those with low humanity and is a fairly passive mechanic. It is an attempt to model the subtle ways you perceive how people are and what they have done. Maybe some blood on their face, the way their eyes are darting, sweat on their forehead. Think about the Bar Scene in the walking dead (SPOILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ZOOnovCwU), how did Rick know they were bad? If you study the script you don't see the tension, the little things. This is what I am trying to model.

If this works, MAYBE we expand it a bit, maybe the bigger the group of people around you the more this effect becomes aparent. Or the longer you're alive the better you get, or something.

• Like 5

No.

Persistent identity through permanent name and appearance would attach long-term consequence to short-term decisions without necessitating outward indicators.

• Like 2

Interesting mechanic. Subtle, I like it. Not persistant though, I've played several different ways with each of my lives.

I think allowing some game mechanics to decipher for you if someone is bad is taking out the human element in figuring out if someone is dangerous. Would be willing to try though.

(plz increase word cap to 40. This one sentence had 20+, sorry lol)

YES!

It works for me.

Your "guilt" would betray you subconsciously.

As it does in real life, before anyone tries to dispute that.

The flicker of a muscle, the twitch if an eye...I think it's subtle enough, but overt enough to work.

• Like 1

Blood on the character model would work better, I think the heart-beat thing is a little too subtle.

Yes :D

I like the idea. Simulates that 'gut feeling', that 'something isn't right' sense you might get about an individual.

• Like 2

ADD YES OR NOT PLEASE! Sometimes I have no idea what people are talking about :) This helps.

YES(ish)

Your 20 word suggestion threads are getting better, I like this idea because it doesn't make a bandit who tries to hide more visible(I hope).

What it looks like is you are just trying to find a replacement for the bandit skin. Because you can't do a visible skin anymore you go with sound now.

Perhaps another idea to recognize bandits: change their walking animation.

YES

I really like it. Not too obvious (or annoying like crows/flies n shit) and actually ADDS to the ATHMOSPHERE of the game.

YES

But... The "Lower the humanity, the lower the sound"? Shouldn't your heart beat faster if someone has low humanity?

Rocket, please take a minute or two and read my suggestion towards the humanity issue.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11013 <--- Here

I warn you, it is longer than 20 words, but I feel it's a solid idea. Hopefully the majority of people feel the same. Time will tell.

It's a simple yet very effective solution, in my opinion.

Thanks

p.s the above is not bad aswell, however what if a survivor accidently move his weapon past a bush, suddenly hear the heartbeat noise? Instantly knowing theres a bandit nearby or in that bush, that ruins it for the bandit player and his gameplay. Thus, giving survivor an unfair advantage.

Blood, scars , wounds, eyes whitening, frown, dirty clothes. Things that would happen after murdering/combat.

No

Someone with super low humanity would give you maybe a half second of that pretty heartbeat before your dead. Who is this for ?

\

Only if you look DIRECTLY at someone does the Heartbeat play...

YES

Give it a shot. As long as it only makes a noise when you're looking directly (i.e. crosshairs) at the person. I don't want it to distract me from hearing other things in the game though.

YES

I think a hightened sense of danger around dangerous individuals is something that everyone can relate too. the heartbeat would be subtle. I like it and i think it's the best idea i've heard yet. larger groups of bandits should affect the heartbeat as well like a rise in tension and adrenaline.

YES

It's a good path. But adding blood on cloth/wounds etc would be better then heartbeat.

Looking directly at someone helps you decide on them quickly and subtly.

It also gives them opportunity to shoot you in the face.

It's genius.

A resounding YES!

Is it going to go off when I have my binocs on a guy 500 meters away? If not, too subtle.

Blood on the character would be good, or maybe a bit more dirty or torn up clothing?

Maybe something like pale skin? (lack of sleep because of guilt?)

An overall YES for me, try it!

NO.

Day Z is for the hardcore. To add another system(bandit skin was first) in place to cater to more casual player and let him know who is "bad" is just another system that takes away from Day Z's hardcoreness. Remember, Rocket - ANTIGAME!