Trizzo

Standalone Poll: First Person Only?

First Person View?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support first person only view in future versions of DayZ?

• Yes, first person only
    • No, i want other camera options

Its already in game via server setting. I dont see point of this thread.

As for everyone with their "ultrarealistic" game argument...its a game where you kill zombie, Where you can run for 150 km without a sweat. They are stuff added to the game to make it fun.

If ever there was a reason to keep it in. It makes the game less challenging/intense. Nor is this a cheap shot.

If the game were first person only the prone postions usefullness would be radiclly increased. The stealth/infiltration potential would increase exponentially. It would actually be worth your while to crawl because you would not have the unfair conidtion that somebody can simply periscope your prone postion when they would be out of a direct LOS. Knowing that a persons LOS needs to be directly on you to see you means you no longer need to take into account magic mirrors. Players who like to overwatch an area would need to put their body at hazzard, making a silhouette. Third person unfairly punishes scouting and stealth.

As it stands when two people come face to face and both hit prone DayZ becomes a boring sub game of submarine. If First Person only is introduced people will have no other option but to move into a different postion OR knowning that prone actually gives you concealment due to a realistic LOS can now acutally hope to crawl away. Trying to crawl away in third person servers is suicide. They unfairly spot your movement. As it stands when i go prone, i go third person instantlly and I do not move. Not because i like it but becuase I want the same advantage the other person might have. Remove Third Person->increase the tension.

+1 - everything you've said here is correct.

I'll also add that when in medium to close combat, 3rd person ruins the game. It becomes a 3rd person shooter, where you just strafe building corners & shoot off the hip. In 1st person you have to make a solid decision regarding movement direction, in 3rd person it becomes a counterstrike-like LOS battle, idiotically strafing left and right around cover. It seems most players that populate DayZ are used to 3dp 'pop-a-mole' games. It's all to do with FEAR, most DayZ players are scared little boys - this game is supposed to be unaccessible, REMOVE POPAMOLE! = REMOVE 3RD PERSON!

Give us the option to switch between, but increase the FOV in 1st person.

First person increases realism and immersion? Not for me...

Increases tension because this would remove an invisible third person periscope that lets players hide behind obstalces and peek around corners? In RL you could peek much more effectively than you ever can in a game... In RL I could peek a corner and you'd never see me. Lets not kill the game over this.

Balances combat due to third person expoliting? Everything thats omeone doesn't like is an "exploit".

Game engine is clunky and third person helps navigation/finding items? Yes definitely.

First Person only would radiclly increase the stealth aspect of the game? Not really. It would just mean people playing with blinders on... so that even NOT stealthed someone could walk up to you and you wouldn't know it.

Prone would be highly effective because the periscope of third person is gone...? Not really. Crawlers would be practically blind... so whatever advantage they gained would be cut by their own handicap.

Honestly, third person adds someone more realism than people give it credit for. It adds for perception you lack in a game. It allows you to see yourself, as if you were patting yourself down, or if you felt a wound. First person, you feel nothing, cant check yourself and surroundings, and cant tell where you got hit for shit. As for corners? In reality, you can flatten yourself on a wall, and peak around the corner with JUST an eye, DayZ first person? You lean half your torso out into the open just so you can look around a corner. Then there's prone, unable to see anything through the grass, and you cant adjust your angle, or arch your back up to get a slightly better view while laying down. Your only option in game is to stand up. You might as well spotlight yourself and throw flares around your body, in cherno, in the middle of the night. Sure, you cant ACTUALLY see things in the 3rd person in real life, but when it comes to perception, 3rd person can turn a game into more realistic advantages without actually building in the extra shit it would need. I mean, come on, your keyboard is already loaded the eff up with controls. To add the perception needed for these things would take up an extra keyboard. Leave the 3rd person on, and if you really hate it, just go somewhere that doesn't have it. But honestly, a lot of us like it, and not simply for the sake to see the entire world unfairly. Typically I use first person, but in certain situations, 3rd person is a must, otherwise I have to stand 3 feet out from a wall, and lean my body out into the open while checking a hill for a sniper, where in reality, all that would be exposed would be 20% of my face. And honestly, if you focus on how the 3rd person bends, its not that bad, I cant look over a wall. Only around the corner a bit. I cant bend it to face the back way of a room that I'm afraid to go into. Its none of that, bit it does allow for a little extra to those who actually know how to use it. I say its not a cheat, I say its not unfair. Especially when everyone has this advantage, not just your target.

I'm quoting this just because it's probably the best argument for third person view that I've ever heard.

I feel that third person mode helps with immersion. When I'm staring at the character I'm playing as,I put myself in the situation. But when I'm in first person mode, it's me, sitting in front of a computer trying to overcome some artificial challenge laid out by a programmer. It's still plenty fun in first person, but in third person it just feels more right to me.

I still use first person plenty though. When gearing up for combat, I feel like I NEED to be in first person. I think that's one way to achieve a workable balance is to maybe remove your ability to iron sight while in third person.

Having choices is always better , I personally have to play in 3rd person because 1st person makes me motion sick .

Untill you get a completely realistic skeleton structure on the characters, and remove the idiotic limitations of the engine, and give the characters bodies realistic capabilities as far as controlling extremeties go, FPS only is a needless implementation. Especially how screen rocks back and forth when you run... seriously who runs like that and swings their head 30 cm from side to side.

If FOV will be better, I will support that idea without any problem ;)

Untill you get a completely realistic skeleton structure on the characters, and remove the idiotic limitations of the engine, and give the characters bodies realistic capabilities as far as controlling extremeties go, FPS only is a needless implementation. Especially how screen rocks back and forth when you run... seriously who runs like that and swings their head 30 cm from side to side.

You can easly switch it off in "Game options"

People complaining about head bob and FoV.

:facepalm:

Why don't you adjust your FoV in the way you like it? Why don't you turn head bob in the minimum? I can't understand why people are complaining about these things when you can adjust them just in the way you like.

And bit more offtopic, why the hell server admins name their servers as veteran servers when they really are regular? Nowadays I can find maybe three servers that are really veteran and hundreds servers that say they are veteran but then they got 3rd person and/or crosshair etc. enabled. That's not veteran anymore.

// Oh so nowadays expert means mercenary. When I started veteran meant all off

Edited by St. Jimmy

You are just whining, like the rest, that others can see you from hidden positions.

And you are just whining that you couldn't see people from your hidden position.

This is a valid point. You want your built-in wallhack, i want fair gameplay.

Which one should make it in, in terms of a realism zombie shooter?#

Oh so nowadays expert means mercenary. When I started veteran meant all off

QFT

when i started playing around 1.7.0, 3rd person was really frowned upon and everyone out for competition would avoid these servers like the plague.

nowadays even those folks i play with will complain for hours if their waypoint's ain't working. because, who needs a crappy compass if you have this pretty arrow built into your virtual sunglasses.

just yesterday we made a trip with our boat, and our driver didn't set his waypoint. we ended up close to the map border when i asked him wtf he's doing.

playing on a 1st person only server is already an absolute nogo. while all it does is moving the camera position down, and noone can explain what actually is better, except that you can spot enemies better.

mhk. casual gamers ftw.

Edited by Azrail
  • Like 1

I think there are way more important things to discuss than camera position in the game. If someone thinks he's "hardcore" because he plays first person only, that doesn't mean that the game should be like that. However, I prefer 3rd person while running around (FPS only in firefights) because my laptop cannot run the game so smoothly, and while in third person you don't feel the FPS drop as much.

This is the MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE regarding DayZ, without peer. If the SA doesn't remove the 3DP exploit, forget about anyone but casual/console/popamole faggots playing it. Then, when said casuals are tired of camping/peeking, they will move on to another 3rd person shitfest. Better nip this one in the budding stage and remove the pop-a-mole gameplay, that belongs on consoles.

Edited by Inception.
Nothing wrong with playing a console, nor "pop-a-mole". Cease the homophobic slurs please.
  • Like 2

This is the MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE regarding DayZ, without peer. If the SA doesn't remove the 3DP exploit, forget about anyone but casual/console/popamole faggots playing it. Then, when said casuals are tired of camping/peeking, they will move on to another 3rd person shitfest. Better nip this one in the budding stage and remove the pop-a-mole gameplay, that belongs on consoles.

Wow, have you considered anger management? I see no place for that kind of attitude on a community forum. Chill out and put your opinion across politely. It is after all 'only a game'.

I don't agree with removing 3rd Person as such but I can see how it can give an unfair advantage in many situations and provoke anger in those who prefer a different play style. What could be looked into is making the 3rd Person view more restrictive, for example take GoW over the shoulder view. Your FOV is dependant on your surroundings, everything closes in as you approach walls, enter buildings etc. This also takes the ability to periscope over walls, round corners etc yet still gives you a more realistic FOV and helps those who want to see the sights when running across the map, suffer motion sickness and headaches. You could go as far as being able to flat your character against walls to peek corners in a more realistic way.

I don't know how hard that would be to programme into the game but it is something I would like to see and I believe it would be the best compromise between those who want both or FP only.

Just my 2p

3dp makes the game easier. It also allows those using it to exploit the map to their advantage. They will see you above a wall they are hiding behind but you wont see them. it makes flying helis childs play as you can position your view majically outside the helo with a 360degree view. I can see why so many want to keep it in.

Personally as long as server admins can turn this n00b crutch off then give the n00bies their sweets. Everybody's happy!

Edited by trichome

Against. 3rd person lets you do small nuanced things like not be raped by tall grass when you're prone. Sure, when I lay down I normally can't see, but I can also raise my head slightly above the grass. An inbetween from crouching and proning where I can look around. When I'm trying to sneak, I have more body and enviro awareness than I would in first person which is akin to playing through a camera strapped to the top of my head. Its not about SUPER HARDCOREZ REALISM, its about making the game FEEL right. The ability to turn your head with the ALT key is great, so I want that ability for tilting my head slightly. I can peek around a corner without leaning. This is why I favor 3rd person.

I can peek around a corner without leaning. This is why I favor 3rd person.

The fact that DayZ players can say things like this with a casual tone is just purely disgusting, sorry if this offends anyone but I'm just describing the bad taste I got in my mouth when reading this.

What has happened to PC gamers, why is the easiest and laziest option always what most people want? Why don't people want immersible realistic and balanced gameplay, that makes you have to actually play smart to succeed?

Edited by MarcDaKind
  • Like 3

The fact that DayZ players can say things like this with a casual tone is just purely disgusting, sorry if this offends anyone but I'm just describing the bad taste I got in my mouth when reading this.

What has happened to PC gamers, why is the easiest and laziest option always what most people want? Why don't people want immersible realistic and balanced gameplay, that makes you have to actually play smart to succeed?

It is called realism, you can peak around a corner with barely a third of your head out, compared to 2/3 of the torso out in first person in Dayz. now have this taste tall warm glass of stfu

stfu.jpg

Edited by DiazWaffleCrabstro

It is called realism, you can peak around a corner with barely a third of your head out, compared to 2/3 of the torso out in first person in Dayz. now have this taste tall warm glass of stfu

You just have to press lean over and then slowly move to corner and you will expose mostly your head as it is in real life.

People complaining about head bob and FoV.

:facepalm:

Why don't you adjust your FoV in the way you like it? Why don't you turn head bob in the minimum? I can't understand why people are complaining about these things when you can adjust them just in the way you like.

And bit more offtopic, why the hell server admins name their servers as veteran servers when they really are regular? Nowadays I can find maybe three servers that are really veteran and hundreds servers that say they are veteran but then they got 3rd person and/or crosshair etc. enabled. That's not veteran anymore.

// Oh so nowadays expert means mercenary. When I started veteran meant all off

Even when it is at minimum, it happens, hence why i can sympathize with the mention of it.

Beans given. I think that third person completely undermines the "authentic" nature of DayZ and is probably the only feature worse than bandit headscarves. I see a lot of suggestions that it should be left as it is now--up to individual servers--but in practice this results in nobody playing the first-person servers because they're more difficult. This is not Gears of War--people should be forced to peek their characters around corners instead of going third-person and having an artificial 360-degree view of everything from the safety of cover.

Edited by brent2
  • Like 3

It is called realism, you can peak around a corner with barely a third of your head out, compared to 2/3 of the torso out in first person in Dayz.

2/3 of your torso?

Why do blatant liars like this even bother to post at these forums, it's nothing less than utterly pathetic to use straw man arguments to support a lazy feature that everybody knows don't really fit in DayZ.

I understand that all the good "thirdperson on" arguments is used up, but please don't result to using examples everyone that has played DayZ knows is wrong.

Why cant you just go and play WarZ; I think you will fit perfectly with the casual nature of the game, and the constant lies the developers keeps telling...

Edited by MarcDaKind
  • Like 1

2/3 of your torso?

Why do blatant liars like this even bother to post at these forums, it's nothing less than utterly pathetic to use straw man arguments to support a lazy feature that everybody knows don't really fit in DayZ.

I understand that all the good "thirdperson on" arguments is used up, but please don't result to using examples everyone that has played DayZ knows is wrong.

Why cant you just go and play WarZ; I think you will fit perfectly with the casual nature of the game, and the constant lies the developers keeps telling...

push E or Q when crouching, see what happens. so as far as telling lies goes, go kindly sodomize yourself with a rectable batton. it was figure of speech btw, if you cant see that, Dayz peek = Tilt the whole upper body, real life peek = twist and only slightly tilt upper body, and twist/tilt head so your peepers barely show.

Edited by DiazWaffleCrabstro