Trizzo

Standalone Poll: First Person Only?

First Person View?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support first person only view in future versions of DayZ?

• Yes, first person only
    • No, i want other camera options

Again, it all boils down to a few select players who want an ultra hardcore first person, but it is equally as unrealistic (points made above). The majority of the group, whether casual to hardcore enjoy having the option of third/first person but those select few want to force their ideas on the majority just because they are playing in low-populated servers and not having as much fun, and whine because when they join the more populated third person servers they feel everyone has a disadvantage with third person...

THIS IS NOT JUST A SHOOTER. This is designed to be an MMO Survival game, that has aspiratations of much more than just shooting shit. This is a step towards greatness and away from the "tab target, hit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc to perform attack" which is indicative of MMOs; so be grateful. You are fighting a lost cause, and the fight should be made to keep this game realistic in other ways and stop it from leaning towards the mainstream trash.

End, if you want something realistic... Oculus rift is the direction. Making an argument on which is more realistic first person vs third person. They are both unrealistic.

Edited by Dreygar

Shooters should be more like mario because that's a good game: Uhhhhh... Well alright, why don't we eat mushrooms to grow taller and jump on zombies' heads to kill them rather than burying a hatchet in it?
C'mon, I see this suggestion like 20 times a day. Standalone? wait and see.

Against.

IRL you can peek through bushes by just moving a leaf, round corners with a small mirror or just the very edge of your face. In a game its much harder/impossible to replicate. Instead of forcing everyone to do this 1st person junk... leave it as a server side setting. Those who want it can put up servers that firce it, and those who don't wont. Thats the way it is now... and you can see what most servers choose.

Against.

IRL you can peek through bushes by just moving a leaf, round corners with a small mirror or just the very edge of your face. In a game its much harder/impossible to replicate. Instead of forcing everyone to do this 1st person junk... leave it as a server side setting. Those who want it can put up servers that firce it, and those who don't wont. Thats the way it is now... and you can see what most servers choose.

The problem is no one really wants a first person only game, which means they are playing on low-pop servers and are bored. Resorting to play on high-pop 3rd person servers and whine because someone is watching them and they can't see them because of third person. If there were equal people who wanted 3rd person and 1st person you wouldn't hear a peep out of them.

You know there is a realistic squad based shooter supposedly in the make (Takedown). Right now it's PC: First person, PS3: Third Person. Xbox 360: Unknown. I am anticipating the release for it on 360, my preferred shooter platform. I will not play the game if they make it third person. Shooter games = First Person only. MMO games = First person / Third Person... with Oculus being the ultimate in current gaming if utilized as planned.

Edited by Dreygar

I wouldn't mind 3rd person if it wasn't able to allow people to see over, around, or through things they otherwise shouldn't be able to. If that's not possible then 1st person only.

Personally I wouldn't mind being forced into 1st person. However I would really like 3rd person while operating vehicles as there is so much blocking your field of view inside a vehicle. That being said you still run into the challenges I mentioned above.

My biggest complaint about 1st person view (and this isn't a DayZ / ArmA exclusive problem) is the lack of peripheral vision. The 3rd person view does help simulate that. Also it helps while being prone. I can't hit a key to push up with my arms, extend my neck, and try to look over tall grass... so going to 3rd person view again kind of simulates that.

Yes I know about peripheral dots and that's a neat trick but it's not peripheral vision. It's telling you there's something in your peripheral vision that you can't actually see because you have no real peripheral vision in the game.

Edited by Penny Sue

I wouldn't mind 3rd person if it wasn't able to allow people to see over, around, or through things they otherwise shouldn't be able to. If that's not possible then 1st person only.

Personally I wouldn't mind being forced into 1st person. However I would really like 3rd person while operating vehicles as there is so much blocking your field of view inside a vehicle. That being said you still run into the challenges I mentioned above.

My biggest complaint about 1st person view (and this isn't a DayZ / ArmA exclusive problem) is the lack of peripheral vision. The 3rd person view does help simulate that. Also it helps while being prone. I can't hit a key to push up with my arms, extend my neck, and try to look over tall grass... so going to 3rd person view again kind of simulates that.

Seeing around obstacles without actually using your character, in my opinion... is a minor issue when you look at the scope of the game. The combination of first person + third person is what gives you a better overall viewing experience. If you reduce the third person field of view (to the point where you couldn't see around a building or obstacle, then you are basically making it first person. (Rough example, in third person you double tap +, and it shrinks your field of view.)

In the end, it's not going to happen. If by chance it does happen and this game becomes a first person-only game (Which I seriously doubt) then consider this game a bust. There are many more and important realism factors involved/needed in this game that will already shrink the population as it is. (Removing indicators, skins, etc)

So for those 100 people who want to play the game like they are looking through a roll of toilet paper and call that realistic... well, have at it. Tunnel vision ftw.

• Like 1

Yes I know about peripheral dots and that's a neat trick but it's not peripheral vision. It's telling you there's something in your peripheral vision that you can't actually see because you have no real peripheral vision in the game.

PS. Peripheral dots are stupid. Oh hey.. I see a dot to my left... Oh wait, that's a well hidden vehicle/animal/zombie that I wouldn't have otherwise seen. There's a difference between the game TELLING you where something is, and you SEEING where someone is in third person; despite your character physically not looking.

Don't get it twisted and think they are one of the same though.

Just incase you didn't know there is a lean function built into the game. Hit Q & E. Works in 3rd person or 1st person. The only arguement I'd make about third person is it is way too accurate to fire a weapon without aiming down the sights. Removing cross hairs fixes that somewhat, but I do like having cross hairs there for close quarters zombie encounters, because accuracy isn't a concern when you're 2 feet away.

And it works just about as good as having a tumble dryer strapped to the top of my head (comparison courtesy of Yahtzee), I'm fully aware of the Q and E keys, I don't think they work very well save for rolling around while prone instead of slowly shuffling to the side.

A server I play on doesn't have a cross hair (and if rumor is to believed the cross hair is off center in third person anyways) so I pretty much always sight down my gun and only fire from the hip when I absolutely have to (like I've just soiled my knickers in panic and don't have the presence of mind to actually aim my shots)

Edited by DayZoey

Don't take my ledge camping away OMG, what will I doo??? So many SCARED ppl here. Everytime I log on a 3rd person server, motherfuckers just camping elecktro roofs, fucking lame. Remove 3rd person, the game is 10x better in this mode. Bohemia don't have the balls to make this decision for you, they need the money too much. Don't compare 'em to Rockstar.

Edited by dystopeon

You need to learn how ballistics work. When a ballistic is fired it begins to rise during the arc, gain speed (bullet rise). You zero your target based upon where you want the projectile to hit on its way down (bullet drop). Bullets don't just fire in a straight line, and begin to fall. Educate yourself before you try to educate others. Bullets arc. If your zero is on 300m, and you try to hit a target 50 meters away you actually have to aim above. Shorter distances are more level with your sights because the arc occurs in the mid-range of the projectile's path.

For instance, you zero your M16 at 25 meters on a simulated 300meter target because the projectiles path at 25 meters is similar to its path at 300 meters. Aiming down your sights at center mass at either of these targets will hit it right where you aim. However, aiming at 50-250 range and you have to alter your aim to hit the target, IE you have to aim above.

As for all those hardcore people out there complaining about the third person view... again... why? Oh, because you're worried about someone having an "advantage" ... the FPS aspect of this game is hardly the major focus, it's just what you are focusing on... I suggest playing a FPS that is in first person then. This is a game much more than a FPS. I don't find playing in FPS, other than when shooting, enjoyable. Right now I get the best of both words when having the option... and I'm sure a First person only server will be available to you when the game releases, so why are you trying to force everyone to play in first person only?

Oh... right, because very few servers want to play in first person so you are forced to come to third person games... and while a million players want to have the option you think it should be forced on them to play in first person only because maybe a few thousand want to play that way... Right...

no, the real reason is that 3dp users are playing a completely different game than 1st person users, one cannot mix the two, they are genres' not just viewpoints. Seriously I would be happy if 3dp was limited to running, as the ONLY legit reason for it is motion sickness.

QFT. This should be a design decision not a popularity contest. 1st person introduces limitations and those limitations make the game harder, scarier, and better.

Super Mario Bros. didn't come with multiple camera views and an "Overview mode" that let you see the entire level at once and plan your every move. Those limitations forced a single play style. Guess what it was still a great game.

yup, mario brother also doesn't allow you to turn off the music, it's called BALLS, the developer (nintendo) has plenty, like Rockstar. They are dictative developers and the players respect that. I'm gonna stop posting now, as now I'm looking like a complete dick & that's not the point (that's what she said)

Edited by dystopeon

Why don't you just play on [3D:OFF] servers?

• Like 2

The thing is: I only use third person view because it exists. I mean, if all the players used it, I would use too. Because I feel wronged in a combat, if I am using first person view, and the other guy the third.

This is meant to be ultra realistic. Can you go 3rd person in real life? No. Also, you can turn head bob off if you don't like it.

Can i turn off head bob in real life too?

Why don't you just play on [3D:OFF] servers?

I already addressed this. Go on DayZ Commander and disabled third person in the filters, see how many hits you get. I got about 20 servers, probably 17 of them empty or near empty. Only one had around 19 people in it. 20 out of 4000+ servers are playing with 3D:Off.

So their suggestion is for Day Z to "grow balls" and make it a first person only game so that everyone has to play it the way that they want it played because they think it adds to the realism.

Here's a suggestion, why don't the five of you who like 1st person go populate one of those 1st person only lobbies and have a gay ole time.

As I said earlier: it is not about realism for me. The thing with DayZ for me is that it is an experience more than a game. You do not play for gear, kills, points or whatever (or at least you should not, I realize that people right now have got DayZ and regular Arma confused) but to get a unique gaming experience few other game offers. An emotional ride of sorts. In the beginning I experienced those rides but I do not anymore. First person for me is just what it is: first person. Me. Third person is someone else filming "me" from behind. I want to be the character, not play as a character.

As I said earlier: it is not about realism for me. The thing with DayZ for me is that it is an experience more than a game. You do not play for gear, kills, points or whatever (or at least you should not, I realize that people right now have got DayZ and regular Arma confused) but to get a unique gaming experience few other game offers. An emotional ride of sorts. In the beginning I experienced those rides but I do not anymore. First person for me is just what it is: first person. Me. Third person is someone else filming "me" from behind. I want to be the character, not play as a character.

First person has its faults, third person has its faults. Forcing the game to first person only is just a bad idea, again... if this was a First Person Shooter, sure. That isn't what this game is, it's an MMO with FPS aspects. No one is stopping you from playing in 1st person servers.

Your problem isn't about YOUR experience, you just made that obvious. There is nothing stopping you from "wanting to be the character", as first person is an option in any server setting. You want to force your experience on everyone, and that is the issue.

Maybe you're unaware you can switch between first and third person. Hit enter on the keypad.

Edited by Dreygar

Easy fix, when you go into combat make it so you can't go back into Third person until the fightings over. That way it's fair when in combat and it can be used outside of combat. :)

• Like 1

I like the idea, but it has some problems:

- Currently the first person is a pain for my eyes. It's realistic and terrorific, but having the camera shaking all the time hurts my eyes and gives me headaches.

- Third person is not too unrealistic. For example sometimes you can see over a fence, but I think of that like I could do the same in real life, only that the animation for that would be too complicated. I don't want to be a mouse in a maze, so if they implement some kind of mechanism to climb a little over fences to be able to see what's on the other side, I'm all for it.

3rd person really does help with running around, I usually go into 3rd person while moving fairly long distances and then switch to 1st person when I'm going into buildings etc.

• Like 1

First person has its faults, third person has its faults. Forcing the game to first person only is just a bad idea, again... if this was a First Person Shooter, sure. That isn't what this game is, it's an MMO with FPS aspects. No one is stopping you from playing in 1st person servers.

Your problem isn't about YOUR experience, you just made that obvious. There is nothing stopping you from "wanting to be the character", as first person is an option in any server setting. You want to force your experience on everyone, and that is the issue.

Maybe you're unaware you can switch between first and third person. Hit enter on the keypad.

Where did I say I want to force it on everyone else? O.o

I am just arguing why first person is the shit and third person is simply shit. Play however you want, I'll stick to first person even on third person servers. Because the game is about more than just being a MMO with zombies for me.

• Like 1

You need to learn how ballistics work. When a ballistic is fired it begins to rise during the arc, gain speed (bullet rise). You zero your target based upon where you want the projectile to hit on its way down (bullet drop). Bullets don't just fire in a straight line, and begin to fall. Educate yourself before you try to educate others. Bullets arc. If your zero is on 300m, and you try to hit a target 50 meters away you actually have to aim above. Shorter distances are more level with your sights because the arc occurs in the mid-range of the projectile's path.

For instance, you zero your M16 at 25 meters on a simulated 300meter target because the projectiles path at 25 meters is similar to its path at 300 meters. Aiming down your sights at center mass at either of these targets will hit it right where you aim. However, aiming at 50-250 range and you have to alter your aim to hit the target, IE you have to aim above.

As for all those hardcore people out there complaining about the third person view... again... why? Oh, because you're worried about someone having an "advantage" ... the FPS aspect of this game is hardly the major focus, it's just what you are focusing on... I suggest playing a FPS that is in first person then. This is a game much more than a FPS. I don't find playing in FPS, other than when shooting, enjoyable. Right now I get the best of both words when having the option... and I'm sure a First person only server will be available to you when the game releases, so why are you trying to force everyone to play in first person only?

Oh... right, because very few servers want to play in first person so you are forced to come to third person games... and while a million players want to have the option you think it should be forced on them to play in first person only because maybe a few thousand want to play that way... Right...

Incorret on most things. A bullet fired parallel to the ground will fall the instant it exits from the muzzle. Nothing gives it upwards lift. A bullet only "rises" when the bore is angeld upward. It is constantlly forming an arc the moment it leaves the muzzle.

And you were not clear enough, or i did not read correctly, your previous example about compensation at 25-200yards. You gave me a different impression to what you just said.

And I'm not suggesting people should be forced to play I gave arguments for and against. Initially i said i would like FPV only. Then in my last post i said i don't mind. I made this thread two months ago? When FPS only servers were playable and in large numbers. I'd don't feel as strongly about it as i do now but that still does not change the sniper/camping imbalance, which on balance isn't enough to lock the game in FPV.

But hey I guess I really don't have a clue...

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2

I reallt want just 1stp in the standalone, but i dont think it should be forced in the mod. Im playing on a public 1stp hive and i haven't seen a hacker in weeks on a server with around 10-30 players... :) So please, you all just stay on the 3dp servers so i don't have to deal with the hacker crap!

Edited by Steppwolf