rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

YES

It's authentic and thrilling. However, there needs to be more areas where beginning weapons can be obtained.

...when a new player joins they dont know any of the game mechanics or even the controls. i myself was setting in one spot for a bit trying to figure out all the controls. then after i sort of got that i began to explore, but not having a gun prevented me from going into places where there might be guns, because i didn't know what would cause the zombies to start tracking me.

So what you're saying is that spawning without a gun forced you to slow down, familiarize yourself with the mechanics and controls, and then slowly learn how to behave around zombies in order to remain safe?

This, as opposed to simply charging headlong into wherever it is you wanted to go with no question or concern for anything because you know you have a trusty gun at your side with plenty of ammo should things go sour?

Forgive me, but it sounds like the system is working perfectly.

Spawning without a gun is telling you something about the game. It's saying "Hey, Francis, this is not a traditional shooter. This game isn't all about running-and-gunning, killstreaks and headshots. Part of the game is about patience, stealth, careful planning and tactical considerations such as using cover to move from place to place unseen.

As a new player you are far better off learning how to safely move around zombies than you are learning how to shoot straight.

All this on top of the fact that coastal murder rates between hungry newbies have gone from epidemic proportions to practically non-existent. I can't remember the last time I died on the beach compared to before when the constant din of Makarov fire sounded like rolling thunder on the coast.

Remember, if you're new, you're supposed to die. This game is all about killing you. You will find that you learn the most about survival by failing to do so. Even dying to some of the annoying bugs and odd behaviors teaches you something (don't get out of vehicles near walls, don't stand too close to doors when opening/closing, etc.).

Anyway, hope this helps.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 3

Yes

Why not spawn with a gun but only 5 shots and that is it. No ammo for the gun, only them 5 bullets.

No,

Frustrating for new players.

Opens up consequence free beach griefing for anyone with any weapon.

rgds

LoK

Yes

I like that you have to get crawling in to the city. Have less zombies near the beach/spawns

Yes

Makes the game more fair, makes the coast a bit less of a warzone. Encourages new players to join up with other new players.

I've enjoyed spawning with no weapon, it really makes increases the intensity on those first few trips into towns since your survival is all on your ability to sneak. I started playing after they took out guns at spawn and I've got to say, I was not at all frustrated or annoyed. A smile came on my face as I realized I'm playing something that is way more than a FPS with zombies, and than I proceeded to die a lot. But I got the hang of things pretty fast. And with no weapon I had to learn to avoid zombies and players, which after getting a weapon that experience helps me conserve amo and avoid combat all together.

YES

If for any reason, it prevents KoS on the coast. I'd shoot a spawner with a weapon on sight, but I'd help spawners that are unarmed.

Wait I thought we stopped spawning with weapons in 1.7.1 what the hell is this? Then again I haven't died since then but otherwise I'm indifferent about the idea.

yes!

spawning without a weapon is awsome, it ads a more intence feeling to the game, and who carries a gun while drifting to shore from sea???

+ good "new player spawn" teaming very great!

YES!

This way, the game says "hey, i'm not like any games, I'm hard & you need to think".

Frustrating? Yeah, I was frustrated my first games. Then, I watched some videos, read some gameplay tips, and a few hours later I was looting elektro like a boss.

• Like 1

Yes

I think the griefing would be substantially worse if people started with a weapon, I personally wouldn't mind starting with some type of crappy melee weapon AKA the crowbar though.

No,

Unless we can punch the zombies or can start with a knife for melee, sure not everyone has handguns but I think everyone who ends up in a zombie apocalypse would immediately pick up a lead pipe, wrench, hammer or other.... but no our survivors managed to survive the original outbreak but not smart enough to bring a basic blunt force weapon or pick one up.

YES

I joined DayZ 2 days ago and have 5 assault guns hidden off and m4a1 on me. L2P or go play COD.

What the heck ArunawayNERD: Why did you resurrect a dead old topic. No-gun is here to stay, and has been dandy. Watch the Quick Start guides at the GuideZ channel if you don't know how to find stuff.

Rocket, make it 0.1 or less chance to spawn with a gun... (hope its not hard thing to do)

if you lucky you get a gun if not you find one, I think it will stop new topics about this subject, but there will be noobs who will respawn until they spawn with a gun, so if player spawn with a gun he spawn in Kamenka.

*I dont know if anyone mentioned this before, I dont have time to read all the posts now.

Edited by DooM4MR

Like Kreaol said, the no-gun feature is here to stay.

Also, if all players with guns spawned in Kamenka, wouldn't that town be overrun by bandits all the time to kill the noobs with guns? It would be too obvious and very easily exploitable.

harder for first time players, more fun for veteran players. I died alot first few days i played and that was with a makarov, and some other supplies.

i dont think players should spawn with a gun even if its 0.1 chance, then everyone will be hitting the respawn button. having no guns at start makes it easier for fresh spawns to team up.

Edited by Hoboleader