griffinz

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

Rocket as of 1 minute ago on reddit - http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

I know I have been very quiet lately. So this will be really all I'll say for the moment.

I've been pretty depressed about the whole situation. From a personal standpoint, this whole "saga" of the development made me seriously question if I wanted to be involved in the industry and I gave serious thought to cutting my losses and not being involved in the project.

At my Army Discharge medical this week, they noted I now have high blood pressure. Some things in life just aren't worth worrying about.

I've been getting hammered a massive amount with requests for information about DayZ release, interviews and my reactions to this and stuff and such - but for my own sanity I retreated and have kept to myself. Right now I'm just at home doing bits and pieces on the DayZ development. The rest of the DayZ team is doing the same.

I realize that I went back on my word about releasing an update, but went back into my shell for a bit last week, and I'll come out when the dust is all settled.

Fair play to the guy. Hope he has a relaxing christmas.

Rocket posted on Reddit just now.

" I know I have been very quiet lately. So this will be really all I'll say for the moment.

I've been pretty depressed about the whole situation. From a personal standpoint, this whole "saga" of the development made me seriously question if I wanted to be involved in the industry and I gave serious thought to cutting my losses and not being involved in the project.

At my Army Discharge medical this week, they noted I now have high blood pressure. Some things in life just aren't worth worrying about.

I've been getting hammered by a massive amount with requests for information about DayZ release, interviews and my reactions to this and stuff and such - but for my own sanity I retreated and have kept to myself. Right now I'm just at home doing bits and pieces on the DayZ development. The rest of the DayZ team is doing the same.

I realize that I went back on my word about releasing an update, but went back into my shell for a bit last week, and I'll come out when the dust is all settled."

Wow, no chance this year then. We can all stop F5ing this thread I guess now.

Thanks Rocket for that post! I can read that you and the team want to spent just normal Xmas and have little break.

I'll return to F5 this thread after new year ;)

Welcome to the gaming industry Rocket.

But dont let it get to you.

But if you feel its to much for you to handle then, well, you know what to do.

Your health is far more important.

Ill be back next year to see where the development is at.

But next time just keep it real with your fanbase.

These riddles and broken promises dont help.

Not being an asshole or anything Rocket but the stress etc is kind of your fault for putting out these useless updates mate

What do you expect DayZ fans to do?

They want any scrap of info they can get lol

Its a good thing mate that so many people want your game, not a bad thing.

Just relax.

• Like 4

Also Rocket, the dust wont settle mate

m not being pushy or anything mate but the best thing you could do right now is be straight with your fanbase and give them an update.

THAT will cause the dust to settle, trust me.

Anyways im off to bed.

Have a great Xmas Rocket and stop getrting yourself worked up over it all buddy.

It really doesnt help.

Cheers

• Like 3

I'm sorry to hear about all the stress related issues. It's Christmas, it should be a time of family and happiness. So try and not get yourself anymore worked up. Take the time to relax and enjoy being home.

But in saying that, there are lots of competent ways for situations like this to be resolved. Hiring a PR guy/department would help a great deal. Not making any announcements until you know that you can 100% follow through. I'm not saying that we need screenshots, and updates every week, etc. but just don't say anything until you know for sure. Trust me, people are hanging about for this game. I understand the pressure, but once there's actually some solid news/updates, people will be back. As long as you provide a quality, loved product, people will come. Whether new or old. So stop putting unnecessary pressure on yourself, we'll all be here waiting. This is DayZ for christ's sake lol, you're the first - and currently the only good one of its kind. Your statistics and forums only show how much support you and your game receive.

Just learn from this situation. It'll make any future similar issues much easier to deal with, for both you and the players. Take a chill pill, relax, you'll be fine. We'll all be happy in the end.

I'm not sure why the development team is the one making the announcements anyway. I know it seems to be the trend with small companies who can't really afford to hire a full-time PR professional, but on that same note it is more important to hire someone to deal with the public than it is to try to develop the product AND deal with the public. Especially if work is being sacrificed and extra stress is being added to the development team.

This is going to hold especially true once the release happens. People are going to want news and updates. These updates coming in on a regular basis and a level of transparency will bring in even more customers, especially in an environment where public relations aren't the focus. I think you guys stand a strong chance of really making something big here.

You want to make a wave in the gaming world?

1- Release your product that I know you will release, I have no doubt it will be bugged all to hell, but a great game with a great potential none the less.

2- Make smart investments with the revenue, especially if you aren't planning on having any micro-transactions or any kind of subscription fee. (by the way, are you planning on providing private rental servers through your company? could be a good revenue stream)

3- Here is where most companies fall off the boat. Get a dedicated representative who will chat with/inform your customers about upcoming news and announcements. Someone that will follow all mediums that you have established for DayZ, which needs to be streamlined pretty badly. ((Please note that I'm not saying that forum moderators don't do a great job, but honestly their job is to moderate forums, which they do a fantastic job of. But it would be the same as me asking my bank teller to advise me on the state of the economy)) I'm also not referring to a full marketing team. Just one guy would suffice. It's not equitable for Rocket to be doing the development lead AND deal with the community. His talents are best suited to development. Someone else can take the reigns on the public, it's okay. Make them sign an NDA to only release information that has been approved for release if you are worried about too much information being released to the public.

It is much easier for the development team to shoot one e-mail out to one guy about information than it is to update each information page and then try to respond to everyone making posts. Let that person deal with all of them while you focus your talents on releasing a beast of a zombie survival game.

Note, I am a final year business student with emphasis on Finance and Management. Resume upon request

Edited by Xainn

Rocket - I'm a great public speaker - just get me on board as your PR-consultant or spokesperson, I got this.

Rocket, sorry to hear about the stress issues that you are going through brother. I hope you can relax for awhile and just enjoy you're Christmas.

Edited by WillRobinson

It was not a full-time PR professional who get us, it was rocket.

DayZ will strike like a bomb, today, tomorrow, or in half a year, as a pre-alpha, alpha or beta as well.

No fear, he'll come out when the dust is all settled.

Edited by NoCheats

If it is of consolation, I have had the same feelings you have, and still do every once in a while, lately at least, concerning pursuing graduate school. I was a stoner in high school, went to community college for four years, didn't know what I wanted to do, had no hope for anything in life. Eventually choose a degree, pursued it, changed degree because I was scared that I wouldn't be able to succeed in what I initially chose, then went back to what I originally chose and will be graduating next Spring with my B.A. in mathematics and I am applying to PhD programs in the pure mathematics area. Not sure exactly what I want to specialize in but I enjoy the general pure mathematics. Regardless, I can relate to the feelings that I think you were expressing on reddit. What has helped me is having people and mentors that I look up to that have said to me that I can do it, and though I didn't really believe that I could for a long time, I believe it now, very much so. Take your break and then do what you want to do - Best of luck again Rocket!

Welcome to the real world. After you spend half the year flying around the world promoting a game you already had 1 million potential customers you finally sat down to do some actual work. You set a unrealistic deadline and quite frankly handled the media rather than your customers.

Some of us do jobs like this every day you know which actually require us to deliver and perform than blow smoke up people's ass.

Single mothers have to raise 3 kids on their own etc. Sorry but I have no pity on your newly found celebrity life style.

Suck it up and get back to work

• Like 1

It's a shame that the guy seems to hate the games industry so much, it really seems to get him down.

Still, is this confirmation of a delay or what? We have been waiting on an actual update for ages now and all we get is info that he's feeling depressed by his job.

I don't want to sound overly harsh but if the job is having such a negative effect on his life in general, maybe it's time to step back?

At the very least hire someone else to deal with the media/fans/customers and just concentrate on making the game you want to make.

Don't give us ridiculous release date estimates and then when that release date is going to slip claim we will be kept in the loop and then say nothing for over a month other than personal posts on reddit.

• Like 1

From a personal standpoint, this whole "saga" of the development made me seriously question if I wanted to be involved in the industry and I gave serious thought to cutting my losses and not being involved in the project.

No man ever achieved worth-while success who did not, at one time or other, find himself with at least one foot hanging well over the brink of failure.

- Napoleon Hill

• Like 3

From one Army vet to another: THANKYOU FOR SERVING ROCKET! I know those outprocessing medicals and seminars are a bitch, but at least your home for Christmas bro. Enjoy it, you earned it. And don't loose any sleep over the pushback date, I think WarZ properly demonstrated what happens when someone forces through steaming piles of crap, and we know you wouldn't do that to us. Take as much time as you need to so you can make the best game possible, keep up the good work!

• Like 4

oh my god...assholes flying low it seems....go and suscribe on some EA or Ubisoft forums and buy the same crappy games year after year as long as they are marketed professional...Rocket and even BI maybe are somekind of semi professional sometimes, but they love what they are doing and this is what makes this game (as well as the arma series) outstanding...

cheers

PS: or go and buy WarZ....they provide very professinal teaser videos, forums and screeenshots ...in short terms a professional marketing....