ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

When I looked at that inventory "screenshot": sudden gamegasm.

Like... daaamn, dude, too cool for words.

• Like 1

Well dont know if this was suggested but... ... normal jumping would be nice ;d.

Oh and, just came to my mind. Maybe some kind of radiostation where you can leave a looped recording made by yourself, so anyone with radio could receive this transmision. Would be pretty funny ( Yes, i know that many people would troll with this. Then it will be up to you to turn it off or change it)

Edited by Kaczor

When I looked at that inventory "screenshot": sudden gamegasm.

Like... daaamn, dude, too cool for words.

GAMEGASM!! hahaha nice one

yes you think right by milions of camps but i think about it like it will be very expensive to make it safe against zombie hord atack wooden baricade can be broken and if camp will fall in their hand then in this area for some time will spawn lot of zombies

it will be limitet size and areas to built and undergound could be small hide out and base will be for large group of players for trading leaving notes (note board) and other stuff sometime base need to be defended from zombies

there could be few bases on map

A list of many great ideas. I would like to add one about zombie to vehicle interaction. i think currently they just ignore vehicles and not even spawn in if you dont leave the seat. What if they attempted to break through the windows and crawl in or drag you out? players could be given a chance to fight them off.

Edited by TwitchyTriggeR

Awesome suggestions, thought an alternative to the soldier / hunter model would be cool, maybe not even carrying a gun. Enter the ninja.. Something than can thrive in the infested cities by utilizing grappling hooks, tabi boots, balaclavas, black clothes, katana's or knives etc. They would be terrifying until spotted and then would be vulnerable (i guess they could be near silent as long as they don't walk into things or carry too much weight) but would be able to make hasty get away's with smoke bombs and some climbing skillz.. I loved Tenchu and DayZ being the open world that it is I think can support it.. I see you're making some promising changes with more building interaction and more clothing options so it looks like it could be on the way! Thanks for all the work you do and for listening!

A list of many great ideas. I would like to add one about zombie to vehicle interaction. i think currently they just ignore vehicles and not even spawn in if you dont leave the seat. What if they attempted to break through the windows and crawl in or drag you out? players could be given a chance to fight them off.

Yeah that would add a lot to vehicular fights with the ability to fire when you're inside cars.

I would be pretty cool that there was a secret military base not on any normal map. Like on any normal map (like up north or some other place) where the secret base would be it is only trees. The only way to find out where it is to find a "special" map in military bases. The secret base should be zombie free or infested with zombies like 10 heli crashes. There should be like high military weapons and some railguns and one epic deadly gun.

yes you think right by milions of camps but i think about it like it will be very expensive to make it safe against zombie hord atack wooden baricade can be broken and if camp will fall in their hand then in this area for some time will spawn lot of zombies

it will be limitet size and areas to built and undergound could be small hide out and base will be for large group of players for trading leaving notes (note board) and other stuff sometime base need to be defended from zombies

there could be few bases on map

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea of having base fortifications above ground, but apparently it cannot be done because there would be too many player-created objects on the map, which would slow even the best servers down to a crawling speed. That's why they're talking about underground base construction, as I understand it.

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea of having base fortifications above ground, but apparently it cannot be done because there would be too many player-created objects on the map, which would slow even the best servers down to a crawling speed. That's why they're talking about underground base construction, as I understand it.

/agreed.

Even tho I love the idea of bases, it would be too many bases on one single server. I kinda like the idea of tents, but what I dont like is they are easy to find, unless you go very far away from everything in middle of the woods, and place it there... Even that way anyone can access it. I´d like to see a storage place where no one would be able to access, like a "bank" (yes, yes, it is not realistic, but its still a game)

And people that are asking to add apples, poison ivy, shovels, be in mind that too many items on the database will make the server/client very slow

I've been thinking about a system whereby the player can individually alter the difficulty of the game and i would like the simple idea of just being able to choose your own player skin as a solution.

For example, at the moment all characters, regardless of looks, age and gender run the same speed and have the endurance of a Kenyan runner.

Why not have the option to select an ultra fit 21 female, a fat obese 35 yo man or a 72 yo woman with a hip replacement, etc etc?

So, my theory is this - you want to run all day, sprint fast and be able to carry lots of stuff, choose the young, fit model. You want a major challenge in surviving select the old age pensioner model.

Sure most people would choose the quickest, strongest player skin but some of us who relish a change and a challenge wouldnt mind playing an 85 yo war vet with a dodgy knee.

You'd get lots of player variety, an added challenge and it could be fun as well.

Just a thought.

Posted in another thread but this one seems to be much more established.

Fuel/Vehicles:

• Vehicles are more common
  • Parts are very rare
  • Scrap and junk can be used to patch up vehicles, but this deteriorates and may make the vehicle worse
  • Fuel can be siphoned from cars
  • Fuel can be poured from jerry cans into fuel tanks
  • Fuel tanks have a limited amount of fuel
  • Fuel tanks regain fuel at 1L/hr (or 1 jerry can every 20hrs)
  • Fuel tanks can be destroyed/repaired and can leak if damaged
  • Fuel tanks can be built with bases
  • Add new part: electronics. Used for aircraft and "nice" vehicles but are very rare

Storage:

• Crates
  • Safes
  • Buried caches
  • Bear-bags
  • Different size tents

Weapons:

• All weapons more rare
  • Handguns much much more common than rifles
  • Civilian guns:
    • Rifles/shotguns in homes/deerstands
    • Handguns in homes
    • Ammo in stores, homes, and stands

[*]US/EU weapons only from heli crashes

[*]"nice" eastern weapons from MilitarySpecial spawns, MilitarySpecial includes ATCs as well as barracks

[*]standard eastern weapons from other military spawns

Sound:

• Pick a sound mod, use it. JSRS is nice. The sound in Arma2 is sadly sub-par.

• Like 1

Was watching the Eurogamer video, and Rocket mentions getting different types of diseases. If he wants to be authentic, he can't just have "Medicine", it should really be specific kinds. I think it'd be fucking awesome if it was general knowledge among DayZ players how to treat gangrene or whatever. "Oh, you've got [real disease], take [real amount] of [real medicine here]", etc. However (I'm taking an ethics class this semester and the professor is a cool guy so), is it ethical to include that kind of detail? I could see a problem where if the info is wrong people might actually use their knowledge from DayZ to try and treat real diseases, which could go south.

It'd be pretty cool if people stopped looking at DayZ as a "game" and more as a place they can learn to better themselves...

Edit: Continuing along that video linked above, I'm wondering if there'd be a way to wedge myself into the development... I graduate in 5 months and my list of dream employers is pretty much Bethesda and BIS D:

Edited by Publik

More guns. The gun modification sounds nice.

The military style UV flashlight would be nice idea?

You can see the light with night vision goggles. I dont know what they actually use but it would be nice to "make" light that nobody sees with their eyes.

Military suit that hides the heat signature of your body.

Ability to play zombie amongst zombies.

I cant wait for the stand-alone.

1)some other idea hideout/bunker you can have generator for gps/flashlight/... and making weapons upgrading/repair/making

2)paranoia/geting crazy

too long alone you will start hearing stuff like zombies, gunshot, car, helicopter, ...

3)posible to chose when start new character if you are immune to virus or not

so not immune persone when is bitten (zombies eating you) you get infectet antidote is not yet created only medical stuff to slow down virus or when you get bitten you can cut off (with axe/saw) arm or leg you can buy more time if it is leg you can make wooden one

4)mabe using (not sure about name) fotocamera optic or binocular to upgrade sniper rifle zoom or some other weapon or somthing like this

5)more types of binoculars

tn_1489.jpg

(i dont know name of this type)

6)in all countries is someone who have small arsenal for small army and this country was part of CCCP so posible chance 0.5% (or less) hit this place

Edited by Berhemoth
  • Like 1

/agreed.

Even tho I love the idea of bases, it would be too many bases on one single server. I kinda like the idea of tents, but what I dont like is they are easy to find, unless you go very far away from everything in middle of the woods, and place it there... Even that way anyone can access it. I´d like to see a storage place where no one would be able to access, like a "bank" (yes, yes, it is not realistic, but its still a game)

And people that are asking to add apples, poison ivy, shovels, be in mind that too many items on the database will make the server/client very slow

Dig a hole and cover it up.And for bases I was thinking that clans should be able to achieve the ability to then build a base on that server.This way clanY has base on UK25 and clanZ has base on UK32.The clans name that owns the server will be present in the server info also.

Was watching the Eurogamer video, and Rocket mentions getting different types of diseases. If he wants to be authentic, he can't just have "Medicine", it should really be specific kinds. I think it'd be fucking awesome if it was general knowledge among DayZ players how to treat gangrene or whatever. "Oh, you've got [real disease], take [real amount] of [real medicine here]", etc. However (I'm taking an ethics class this semester and the professor is a cool guy so), is it ethical to include that kind of detail? I could see a problem where if the info is wrong people might actually use their knowledge from DayZ to try and treat real diseases, which could go south.

It'd be pretty cool if people stopped looking at DayZ as a "game" and more as a place they can learn to better themselves...

Edit: Continuing along that video linked above, I'm wondering if there'd be a way to wedge myself into the development... I graduate in 5 months and my list of dream employers is pretty much Bethesda and BIS D:

Each disease will have its own medication and it will be hard to tell which one to take.

Edited by wolfstriked

/agreed.

Finding a good way to hide your stuff doesn't necessarily have to be unrealistic/inauthentic; just think of all the creative ways you would come up with if you were actually in a RL zompocalype survival situation. I think it's just a question of the game providing a little more freedom in the ways that players can alter the world around them. So if you can dig holes, make camouflage netting out of leaves and stuff like that, suddenly hiding your tent would be a much better prospect.

Oh and about having lots of items in the database, would that really slow down the server? Because I thought that inventory items and zombies were processed on the local client rather than the server, and then periodically or when you log off that info is stored in the DB? I'm no dev so I'm not sure about this.

I've been thinking about a system whereby the player can individually alter the difficulty of the game and i would like the simple idea of just being able to choose your own player skin as a solution.

For example, at the moment all characters, regardless of looks, age and gender run the same speed and have the endurance of a Kenyan runner.

Why not have the option to select an ultra fit 21 female, a fat obese 35 yo man or a 72 yo woman with a hip replacement, etc etc?

So, my theory is this - you want to run all day, sprint fast and be able to carry lots of stuff, choose the young, fit model. You want a major challenge in surviving select the old age pensioner model.

Sure most people would choose the quickest, strongest player skin but some of us who relish a change and a challenge wouldnt mind playing an 85 yo war vet with a dodgy knee.

You'd get lots of player variety, an added challenge and it could be fun as well.

Just a thought.

Hm now that has never occurred to me, but when you explain it like hat it sounds pretty interesting. Although it also sounds a bit like the WarZ model of having different characters to choose from... not unique to WarZ of course, most RPG MMOs have something like that. As you say, it could be quite challenging to survive the zombie apocalypse with an arthritic granny! :D

One of the problems with a better scope zoom system is that if you want to have that zoomed in portion and see around the sides of the scope is that you need to render another copy of the scene. The way it's usually done is by placing a texture on top of the screen (crosshairs) and then reducing the FOV of the camera. You could do this with picture-in-picture, which is supported by Arma3 in their mirrors, but the basic problem is that it takes more to render.

Ideally, Rocket would take the picture-in-picture from Arma3 and use it for this and other things, but we can only hope. It'd be cool to have security cameras for your base and stuff with real-time security consoles.

What I'd really like out of the game is a set of mechanics that allows for rudimentary government as an emergent property of player interaction. This means that there should be a more reliable method for enforcing "laws" than hoping you're able to shoot him before he shoots you. There should be a way to lower the paranoia to a more manageable level in certain select areas. Not safe zones, but less dangerous zones. Like it or not, there's not enough room on a server to get a large enough group to gang up and enforce their own protection. That works fine in the current game where the extent of player organization is just pick-up groups that cooperate, but never really create anything persistent. However, if we want to simulate civilization arising from the ashes, which I really, really do, we need something like a city or town or even just clan village/ base of operations that persists beyond the efforts of one determined individual to break it up.

One thing I would like to see is friendly AI. If you build a base of operations, or your clan does, you should be able to have basic AI to help protect it. Think of the soldiers at base in the Domination Arma II mission. They do little more than man machine gun posts and shoot at passing enemies. Easily defeated in a full on raid, but enough to keep idle looters out. This could also help individuals who play lone wolf as I often do. They could build a small outpost in a remote part of the map with a guard and small stash of loot. Of course, this will have to be carefully balanced. After all, a critical part of the game is the chance of losing all the hard earned gear you've accrued.

Another example of good use of AI could be a market place with AI guards who shoot anyone who dares to fire a weapon in the protected space. Either this can be another base element constructed by players, or it could be one central neutral location to force various mutually hostile groups to interact. I like the idea of a rich clan that barters for most of its supplies, and lone wolf players who collect essential supplies like food or petrol for trade. It basically lets play styles diverge even more than they do now. If I don't want to venture into dangerous cities, I don't have to. I can spend a few hours hunting, and trade the meat for what I need. Or I could run a lucrative business going into extremely dangerous areas for rare loot. Again, this couldn't be foolproof without ruining the paranoia of the game. The guards would have to be weak enough to be defeated by a determined group of bandits. This would just be a mechanism to lower the potential for frivolous, arbitrary banditry.

Edited by Washburne

One more suggestion, since there already is the entrenching tool, which is a shovel, add the option to dig holes in the ground, where you can stash your extra equipment.

Also, since there will be a system where weapons will get used in time, if you just throw them in the ground, next time you pick them up, they will have a certain amount of wear and tear on them, and will need some servicing, or you can find a plastic garbage bag in the supermarket, where you put all the stuff you want buried, and when you will go to take them back, they will be in the same condition as you left them.

Edited by nmv06

I think there should be more ways of becoming a hero or bandit.

Hero: Healings other players, giving them food,ammo, etc., saving players from bandits(in either when they getting robbed or being shot at by bandits) and bandit killing.

Bandit: killings other players, stealing player's loot, gain a players trust then betraying them( call friendly then 5-10 minutes later kill him) and killing heros.

I'd like to see at least a handful of high-end servers with high population caps run by the development team or some independent company. At least that way, I know some goofball "clan" isn't manipulating their personally-owned server in some unfair way. No matter how many safeguards are in place, player-operated servers are a surefire way to enable cheating for the owners. Plus, if there were an official expert-mode server, someone else might actually play on it!

Edited by brent2

I would like to see zombie attacks less frequent, but much more dangerous. That would be great. These ideas would make this game incredible.

I would like to see diffrent types of tents:

- tourist tents(with diffrent colors: blue, red, green etc.) in shops

- hunting tents in deer stands (tent with camouflage but with less storage than tourist tent)

- military tents(with camouflages and many slots)

Smoke from campfire sometimes(depends on weather, used wood) should be visible over tree tops.

• Like 3