ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

I think crossbows should be one shot headsots on Zombies and be able to pick up the arrow u just shot.

I think crossbows should be one shot headsots on Zombies and be able to pick up the arrow u just shot.

Uh, i don't know if you have even used a crossbow in game but they are generally a 1 shot kill and you already can pick up the bolts you have shot if you can find them.

I've got a simple and reasonable suggestion: remove the possibility of carrying blood/blood products in soldier's/survivor's inventory and option to give blood transfusion in field conditions.

I am medical practitioner who deals with various blood products, plasma and transfusions. I'd like to assure that these actions are basically impossible. Blood requires certain conditions to be stored properly and when those are neglected the transfusion of such blood can cause massive damage or even death.

The possible option for IV transfusions in field conditions are various IV volume expanders - crystaloid or colloid solutions. Former are represented by Hydroxyethyl starch (HES/HAES, common trade names: Hespan, Voluven) and many other. Examples of latter are of NaCl at 0.9% concentration or Lactated Ringer's. Actually they are first-line therapy for any hemorrhage, life-threatening or not.

I surmise blood products in-game should be stored only in hospitals and certain limitations when carrying the into the field should be imposed (basically, the time-stretch when they remain usable).

I must admit, whole blood trasfusion is a life-saving and *only* therapy that can save life when severe hemorrhage and shock occurred (Whole blood can't be stored for more than 7 days actually, other blood products can, if conditions are appropriate).

To sum it up:

Blood/blood products - usable for limited time when carried in backpack, require certain conditions for prolonged storage. But more potent in critical conditions.

Blood volume expanders - capable of being carried with any other player's gear. Sufficient in most combat conditions.

This would/should help with those of us who prefer to play a medic role. Some of us like to find a vehicle and turn it into a medical evac/ambulance. Making it so that hospitals and such are more useful is cool. If they include ambulances, it could be made so that ambulances can store blood in the "right conditions" such as having coolers etc in the back. ^_^

Stechkin APS should be added. I mentioned this several days ago and I don't think it was noticed.

The Stechkin APS is a Russian selective fire pistol. Select fire means that it is semi-auto and full auto. http://en.wikipedia....ki/Stechkin_APS

The pistol is still used today by law enforcement in Russia. The weapon is not rare.

It would be a great utility weapon because it fires 9x18mm Makarov (which hopefully will be more powerful in standalone) which is a common ammunition. Against Zeds the user could use semi-auto to get head shots. Against players the user could use full auto to out gun regular pistol users. The weapon would be relatively quiet like the Makarov. The gun could come with or without the stock. The version with the stock would have increased stability but would take up slightly more inventory space/weight. The pistol can be stored in the stock so it doesn't take up much more space that way.

Here is pic dawgs

Edited by Vindicator

Change the food and drink system from time to Caloric. The more you move the more you eat and drink.

Also add a noise when people access your gear. Like a zipper on a bag opening

• Like 1

Sorry in advance if this has already been mentioned. However I think my ideas are pretty original even if similair ideas have been mentioned.

Drugs

Morphine is already a part of DayZ, and I was sitting here trying to study for an exam when I realized that I was using drugs to improve my performance. Why not implement this in my favourite survival game?

When I say drugs I mean the everyday drugs we use today, like caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. Let's just focus on these three to begin with, even though hospitals in the game very well could spawn stronger drugs like amphetamines and stuff.

Drugs should have a practical use in the DayZ world, just as we use them today. In DayZ we have to eat, maybe we need sleep aswell in the standalone, and there is cold weather and pain and lots of things to make life hard for the survivor. Depending on the features presented by the standalone these drugs could have different effects. If sleep is indeed implemented in some way, caffeine would temporarily keep you awake and alert even if sleep is really needed. Tobacco (nicotine) could temporarily lower the level of hunger to avoid starvation, and alcohol could be used to stay warm for brief periods, and/or lower pain level.

Cold, pain and other factors should affect stability aiming, metabolism, speed in manouvering, reloading and so on. These household drugs could then be used by the player to dampen or highten some of these factors.

To give a practical example:

Let's say you are the overwatch in your group, designated to lie on the cold ground for a long period of time while your group is looting a small town. You could then use some liqour or beer to keep warm during that time, if you don't have really good clothing fit for the job. You would become slower, and less accurate while aiming, but since your job is just to watch over your teammates and warn them if someone approaches, that is a small loss and using alcohol might be a good thing in that situation.

If you are going on a long expedition, and need lots of food with you but have too small a backpack for the task, you could use tobacco to lower your need for food until you come back, since it takes up a smaller inventory space than several cans of beans.

These are just (poor) examples of how these drugs could be used. I just feel that drugs could give a little more depth to the survival part of the game, giving the player more options on how to deal with situations.

Rocket recently talked about finding clothing and household weapons in buildings. Perhaps beer, moonshine, coffee and tobacco would be found in residential buildings and farms, while medicinal alcohol could be found in hospitals. Alcohol (moonshine and other strong spirits like whiskey) could perhaps be used to sterilize wounds and dampen pain before fixing a dislocated shoulder or something like that. If not tranquilized the survivor could lose HP (blood) as a tradeoff.

Perhaps you could even poison food items with drugs, thus incapacitating others for you to rob in their drunkeness. :rolleyes:

What do you guys think? Is there perhaps something about this drug-theme that actually could be fun/useful in the game or is it all a bad idea?

Edited by ShaDDer

I think there needs to be more interaction between AIs. Such as an wolf hunting another animal regardless of what happens, so a Player may stumble on a pack wolves eating a dead deer, or see an half eaten deer or something. I mean this would increase the amount of threats you face in the now safe forest, but in my opinion would be more interesting, also wolves that eat infected flesh become infected themselves, attacking anything on sight. Infected wolves mutate which will make it look slightly different but also may increase how deadly it is.

• Like 1

I don't like how most of the Medical things need another person to help you, I can't trust anyone in DayZ and my friends don't have good enough computers for Arma 2, I think it would be alot better if maybe you can still use things like Splints, blood transfusions, ect but it would take considerably longer to apply.

I don't like how most of the Medical things need another person to help you, I can't trust anyone in DayZ and my friends don't have good enough computers for Arma 2, I think it would be alot better if maybe you can still use things like Splints, blood transfusions, ect but it would take considerably longer to apply.

I disagree. There should be some incentive to cooperation with others. The reason you don't trust people is because there is not enough of this incentive! Besides, you can already eat food to get blood back without help from others.

I disagree. There should be some incentive to cooperation with others. The reason you don't trust people is because there is not enough of this incentive! Besides, you can already eat food to get blood back without help from others.

I agree with ShaDDer, there should be several in-game incentives for teamwork in addition to the advantages that are already inherent in group play (tactical superiority, simultaneous task solving, item storage and camp guarding, etc.) Afaik blood bags are currently the only game mechanic that actively encourages coop, but I hope the standalone will include many more such items.

To be honest, the whole concept of blood bags in this game is somewhat inauthentic, in that you normally can't just give someone a blood transfusion in the field, certainly not in 15 seconds and especially not without any equipment other than the blood bag. As some folks more knowledgeable than me have pointed out on this thread and the forums, field medics use different techniques and gear to treat bled-out soldiers. Otherwise a blood transfusion requires an IV setup and some time in a steady position such as a hospital bed.

As for splints, this could indeed be a one-man job. I guess it all depends on what new medic functions are added to the SA game. For my part, I can't wait to find out!

As for splints, this could indeed be a one-man job. I guess it all depends on what new medic functions are added to the SA game. For my part, I can't wait to find out!

Personally I would like to se dislocated joints as a potential problem after falling or crashing a vehicle at high speed. I guess the shoulders are the most common joint to be dislocated and even if that type of medical problem is not very common it definately requires a helping hand to be fixed.

I haven't recieved any comments on my post about drugs a few post above. Is it a lousy idea or may it have some value in DayZ?

When I say drugs I mean the everyday drugs we use today, like caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. Let's just focus on these three to begin with, even though hospitals in the game very well could spawn stronger drugs like amphetamines and stuff.

Drugs should have a practical use in the DayZ world, just as we use them today. In DayZ we have to eat, maybe we need sleep aswell in the standalone, and there is cold weather and pain and lots of things to make life hard for the survivor. Depending on the features presented by the standalone these drugs could have different effects. If sleep is indeed implemented in some way, caffeine would temporarily keep you awake and alert even if sleep is really needed. Tobacco (nicotine) could temporarily lower the level of hunger to avoid starvation, and alcohol could be used to stay warm for brief periods, and/or lower pain level.

Cold, pain and other factors should affect stability aiming, metabolism, speed in manouvering, reloading and so on. These household drugs could then be used by the player to dampen or highten some of these factors.

Rocket recently talked about finding clothing and household weapons in buildings. Perhaps beer, moonshine, coffee and tobacco would be found in residential buildings and farms, while medicinal alcohol could be found in hospitals. Alcohol (moonshine and other strong spirits like whiskey) could perhaps be used to sterilize wounds and dampen pain before fixing a dislocated shoulder or something like that. If not tranquilized the survivor could lose HP (blood) as a tradeoff.

Perhaps you could even poison food items with drugs, thus incapacitating others for you to rob in their drunkeness. :rolleyes:

(quote edited for brevity)

I think drugs would be a pretty awesome addition, but I can see how it could easily get too complicated. I don't really see how there can be a sleep mechanic -- I think we just pretend in our heads like our characters sleep while we're logged off :) -- but caffeine and similar uppers could still provide a temporary boost to stamina like you described. I'm all for it.

I think more broadly speaking the game might do well to feature chemicals, which players can mix into anything from saline solutions, drugs, bombs, poisons, and so on. That would be pretty cool imo.

Edited by Bakst

I think there needs to be more cooperation incentives, as other people have pointed out. Here's a few of mine (I've suggested them somewhere in the forum, but here I go again):

- An injury system that visibly shows you have sustained a lot of damage and you need health. For example, limping and moving 50% slower. This will make zombies more dangerous when you agro them. In addition to limping, I suggest a shoulder hug that one player can offer another injured player to help them move considerably faster. Resident Evil Outbreak had this system, and it worked well. Shoulder hugging should also work on people who have a broken leg to help them move faster. Shoulder hugging should tucker out the hugger more, so they become thirsty quicker.

- I'm a firm believer that climbing walls should be available to players. That mod for arma2 that allows you to climb over walls should be implemented, but should have a longer climb-time when vaulting over. In addition to this, players should be able to boost another player up a high wall/onto a balcony. Imagine the schools entrances are all barricaded, and the only way to enter the building is to boost your friend up onto the balcony.

Also, to add a few non-cooperative suggestions, I'd like to see a 'hop/jump' ability. Nothing like what's in your casual arcadey game, but something like the vault that's already in arma2, except this helps you clear gaps. I like the thought of jumping from one roof to a close-neighbouring roof.

• Like 1

I had an idea on how we could make there be more of a threat while travelling. I got the idea when i was playing with some friends and i died. I was on my own and didn't see anything for a long time. So i thought what if there were some way to make zombies travel the map more.

For example; day one of the game, towns are heavily populated with zombies making them extremely had to loot. However as the game progresses the zombies begin to move out, therefore finding two or three zombies walking down the high way and wandering forests. This would then increase the fun of the game for the people who like to play on less populated servers to decrease the chance of getting killed by a player but still have to worry while travelling the woods and highways due to zombies.

However to stop it being easy after say a month once most of the zombies have moved out and spread around the map, there would still be a small spawn rate inside city's and military bases still making it a challenge to get gear and supplies. Now you would have IMO a more realistic game where the zombies wouldn't just be in towns, rather the whole map. I also thought then; say after three months the zombies would all re spawn in towns thus starting the whole process again of there being lots in the big places and moving out again.

I also had another idea about while filling your water bottle up there being a small percent chance of you getting ill due to contaminated water. Although i haven't thought much into this idea yet...

So what do you guys think ?

• Like 1

just some suggestions I wanna add.

Bobby traps.

*Grenade trap

rGVAc.jpg

*cartridge trap

A8Nez.jpg

*Good old spike trap

yXTA4.png

​Pill management

I would like to see, that if you pick up a PACK(6-12 pills) of pain killers, and if get hurt you have to take one but while the wound is healing the pain can come back. And if you move alot the pain will come back faster.

• Like 1

THREAT OF ZOMBIE VIRUS INFECTION?

In every zombie movie people are scared of getting the infection.

DayZ is kind of survival simulation game, but it has no real threat of zombie infection.

There is only crazy people (bots and players) who are trying to kill you... like in a normal war game.

My suggestion to increase the ambience of every moment in the game lol:

Getting the Virus

- Players would get the virus ONLY when Zombie is biting/eating you

- Players would NOT get the virus when zombies are hitting you

After you got the virus

- Infected players have indicator to tell how bad is their infection (like the hunger, blood... indicators)

- When the indicator is blinking red, the player would be very near to die and turn in to zombie

- Player get slower and worse when the indicator goes closer to red

- Near Red; Player could get sudden rage seizures --> lost control for couple of seconds ---> watch bot zombie doing his thing

- The virus could be CURED by mixture of very very rare ingredients

Would you try to search the cure for your best friend... leave him or kill him?

Would you risk your life... cause he might turn in to zombie at any moment?

There would then run zombies of dead players with GREAT LOOT!!!

They also might be harder to kill, 'cause of their better armor.

So what do you think?

Edited by Juhkis
  • Like 1

Would you try to search the cure for your best friend... leave him or kill him?

Would you risk your life... cause he might turn in to zombie at any moment?

So what do you think?

Walk to camp. Kill best friend. Loot best friends corpse, put in camp. Wait for best friend to walk back to camp. Best friend re-equips his gear.

That's what would happen.

But I really do love the idea of somehow being afraid of being bitten and getting sick etc. But I think there shouldn't be a cure because well... it's a zombie apocalypse!

I don't like crafting. I do like finding parts to assemble guns or anything and everything. So to slow down the killing and make it more like Wall Street chess, if you found small parts that are lost

on being killed ( these parts are lost to everyone on your death unless you use it or trade it.) it would change the game ( more thinking ).

Say you have an trigger assemble and an receiver and you need a ( small part to hold it together ) pin. When you enter the game and have

nothing these parts could be found on the beach or any were. So say there are 5 pins for each type of gun but a thousand bogus pins, If you have small parts on you and you will because when you start off that is what you will find, Everyone will need to have the right parts for better guns or things and also to trade to become rich. Now if you kill some one for there big parts you lose there small parts that may give you power and make you rich. So now it becomes a game of chess. You can do this with fusses for cars, copters, boats and airplanes.

Also no one knows what part they need or what parts some one is carrying. When you find say an trigger and receiver that fit together it could say you need pin part #22463. Will you kill people to never find this part.

And what it you have the gun and pin, So now what?

Also I would like cookies that come to life and eat people. I'm also thinking it out more but I do like the cookies.

Also I would like cookies that come to life and eat people. I'm also thinking it out more but I do like the cookies.

Apache25 is that you? ^_^

Rather then posting a new thread it seems better to post these here. I'm sure most of these have been mentioned before, these could be for future updates of the standalone or whatever.

Holdalls - Like the one Rick has in The Walking Dead, a player can store items in it like a backpack, it could have a 30ish slot capacity, it doesn't go on your back you have to carry it and drop it, whilst carrying a holdall you can't use a weapon and you can't sprint.

Extra Vehicle Variants - What I mean is more vehicles but not more spawns. Harley style motorbike, Reliant Robin, Transit Van, Armoured Truck (like ones used in money transfers with banks etc.), Different Helicopters ranging from the MH-J6 unarmed Heli to the Chinook, but nothing too OP. Maybe some APCs and a Jet Ski.

Breakable and Fixable Doors (Wooden) - Including the big barn doors, closing them would prevent zombies entering and if quiet like staying still the zombies may lose interest but if you run around inside they can aggro and break open the door, the door would appear to be off a hinge and unable to close, to fix it you'd need a toolbox but nothing else. To secure wooden doors you'd use planks and a toolbox. Metal gates, zombies can't break through only a vehicle or explosion would smash it open but other players could open it normally. To secure metal gates, chain and padlock is required, bolt cutters would get through it.

Trailers - Mobile tents basically, certain vehicles could tow them including the ATV but it wouldn't be very fast, maybe some vehicles could spawn with the trailer already attached but to hitch a trailer up you'd reverse the vehicle up to it as close as possible without damaging it and either do it yourself or get another player to select 'Hitch Trailer'. Trailers can be damaged, they need two tires and scrap metal for the hull, a well placed shot could unhitch the trailer too. Trailers would offer extra storage for small groups on the move.

If I can think of more stuff I'll add it here, also those traps are really cool iceeman, should have some mines too and spike strips for cars.

OK, so I should be thinking 'outside the limitations' of an ArmA 2 mod but frankly I can't because although the ArmA 2 engine has allowed for this game and community to prosper I can't help but think about how disgustingly bad controls are. Mouse/look sensitivity, the way you transition between prone, crouched and standing, the counter intuitive nature of closing sub menus, the retarded motion blur, the hours of time it spent me just to set-up the game to a point where it wasn't a fucking chore to play... there is a lot that needs to be addressed with the stand alone. But for me DayZ's shortcomings are all as a result of ArmA strangely over-complex control system not for a lack of engrossing in game elements. As far as I'm concerned if the controls are improved this will be stand out game of 2012/13 assuming they do actually bring it out in December.

Suggestion:Since there will be a lot of Soviet Era weaponry I think we need an SKS. Probably the old russian model that loaded with stripper clips. Here is an example of it.