ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

An option to "Point at something with your hand/finger".

Similar to independent head move via ALT key you should be able to move your arm in a certain radius without having to move your body/change your stance/position.

Edited by wickedinsane
  • Like 3

Weapon suggestion,

Class; military assault rifle: super rare:

Tavor-21

Country of origin: Israel. Made by IWI

Accuracy: Should be fairly accurate at longer distances 200 yards+ and very accurate in close to medium range 2-150 yards.

Damage: About the same ballistics as an M16a4, more damage will depend on the ammunition loaded in its magazine.

Weight 3,27 kg empty

Condition: Should be highly reliable if maintained, if not it would fair better than say an m4, it should be as reliable as the Australian Aug.

I see you have not added any sniper rifles to this list, i do dissagree greatly as you have added vehicles. And as people are complaining that the AS50 and M107 shouldnt be in the game because they are anti-vehicle weapons then you have take the vehicles out of the game too then please. Or we could etleast have one amazing gun in the game that we all aim to get (a lot of us anyway) such as the AS50 and M107, but a nice thread :).

try 4, 5, and 6

4. Ability to cook your own homemade explosives and make different explosive devices out of them. Like a simple pipe bomb or a huge IED from an oil barrel filled with HME. I don't know how detailed the procedures should be, but I would make it so that you must just add all required ingredients at a 1:1 ratio into a big pot and cook them on a fire. Sugar, aluminium powder, fertilizer, different acids, diesel, etc.

5. Remote detonated and victim activated explosive devices.

6. Car bombs. Fill the trunk with a huge load of explosives or hide smaller devices in the cabin and make them go off remotely or when someone opens the door or turns on the engine. You could examine the vehicle for an IED and attept to disarm it, and while a large device may be obvious, smaller ones might be missed. Chance of failure at disarming it and setting it off instead.

and "half" is an expression of more than a 1 or 2. to better put it , more than a few of your suggestions are COD-esqe ideas. Last I checked especially #6, Zombies do not drive cars so having a car explode when you turn the key does not fit into a zombie apocolpyse survival mode. That is something more like a COD/BF3/ARMA 3 scenario.

Exactly! We don't need a million ways to kill people in a game!... I'm not a samaritan as I like to play shooters too, but just because of the skill and reaction factor that those involve, the heck I liked SMNC alot especially because it wasn't just a blatant shooter... But c'mon there was a suggestion that we should be able to hang other players. -.- Do we REALLY need things like that just for sake of realism? That also applies to the point with zombie children, why do we really need them? Male and female are absolutely ok! I think it's disgusting how some people here just want to see people (even if it's just virtual ones) die in as much ways as possible...

Focus on additions to gameplay mechanics, not killing mechanics! :]

• Like 2

When I first experienced a massive storm with thunder and lightning I thought it would be cool if this would impact the gameplay much more.

I imagined how I would be sneaking through a city full of zombies unnoticed with them staying "calm" but suddenly a storm would break loose and with all the thunder and lightning going on they would change behavior - suddenly running around spreading more and making other dangerous and inpredictable moves - maybe moving into buildings or something along that lines.

I think this would be exciting because it would be an inpredictable gamechanger for everybody in a city overrun by zombies and forcing players to take weatherchanges more into account.

• Like 1

One other thing I would find interesting would be some questing. Not in classical way where you go to an npc an get a quest to do. But something which is persistent for a whole server, not for the individual player. I was thinking of random notes that you would find, maybe leading to special locations where you could hints to another special thing and so on. The notes would be persistent and found at dead players and every note or hint would be persistent on the server. I think this would open up possibilities for interesting stories to occure.

* Training system. The more you run, the fitter you are so the longer you can sprint for and the less you run out of stamina. Perhaps also the type of food you eat matters a lot, and has differing nutrition levels. No just surviving on beans!

* Definitely a shopping trolley/wheel barrow.

* More types of bike. Arma 2 already has a mountain bike dammit...

* The Ka-60 and Little Bird (unarmed) helis are perfect for DayZ. The Ka-60 is more of a private heli and is unarmed, so would take the residential area spawns. The little bird would be interesting; smaller and easier to hide, but slower and easier to shoot down/shoot people out of. Ka-60 is pretty similar to the Huey.

* More weapon slots in helicopters...seriously...a Huey can only take 3 weps? U srs?

* Fabric paint for customisation/marking your team/leaving messages

* Camo nets

* Vehicle paint (military camo would be rare)

* Car keys/locks

* Safes (also maybe some safes in banks, and the key has a low chance of spawning on zombies created by that building).

* Pointless, rare, 'for show' guns, like the golden revolver.

* Campervan

* Dartgun (causes zombies to 'sleep' for 5 minutes, and are crawlers thereafter. Egg timer for players.)

* More boats (some rowing)

* Biplane, because lol.

* .22 caliber weps

* PKP and RPD, because they're sexy

* Helicopters can lift other vehicles

* ATVs, bikes, motorcycles can fit in the back of the Ural/V3S (take up some player slots)

* Ability to flip vehicles, requiring a certain number of people depending on weight value.

* Helicopters that don't shit a brick when you land them faster than 5 'units' (what is the speed measured as in Arma 2, anyway?)

* Being able to shoot from the side of a heli (or any vehicle, really)

* Quiver for the crossbow, or just stackable arrows.

* Different types of bow

* As everyone else has said, many different lower tier civilian weapons.

* Up the winchester spawn rate and decrease the double barrel. Seriously.

* Notepad and pen.

* Radios, can tune into different frequency. Police/military radios offer encryption.

* Generators for electricity. This could power a town's lights etc. Would be fueled like a vehicle, pretty low consumption rate. If shot at it would never be completely destroyed; just take scrap metal to fix.

* Helicopters don't need windscreen glass to not leak.

* More clothes, spawn depending on building.

* Different levels of tent (already included in Arma)

* Siphoning hose for redistributing fuel or filling quicker.

* Matches aren't infinite.

* Some houses have working cookers, if you have fuel.

* Lighters.

* Bubble gun, because pew pew pew.

* Megaphone/stereo - can place and then play your voice over a much larger radius than standard direct comms. Could play gunshot noises through it.

* Laser pointers.

* Digital cameras.

• Like 1

SUGGESTION....

So i was thinking the other day while i was running around stary about just how short the grass in the paddocks were, and how they have been that way for months. I know this might have some problems to it but if there was some sort of continual growth of the flora on the map it would be awesome. maybe just an update every month or 2 to change the hight of the grass in the field or sprout some more weeds in the main cities along the footpaths. vines could grow further up the walls of buildings. Just a sense of a world changing with time.

I dont know how hard this would be, and it wouldnt even need to be regular, just enough to notice. I realize that it could get to the stage where it goes to far and the grass is 2m tall or something, im not sure exactly how you would get around this, maybe just revert back to the start and start again? I just think that this could lead to differing combat situations, especially in open field confrontations.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Don't get angry because I mention call of duty. But this suggestion came from it, weather should impact gameplay - snow blizzards drastically decrease vision as well as freeze the crap out of you for example. Now here is where cod comes in, when it there is thunder, shooting your gun while thunder strikes will not alert zombies, and other players will find it very hard to hear, even if they are nearby. And just to re-mention this suggestion, I would think that many others would agree with this idea, but

1. There definitely needs to be more urban places, such that a larger population would live in (hence there would be more zombies). More like the forest in Dayz now, as well as the inclusion of cities like New York (or a city thats really big).

2. The weather system should be revised, I've heard that this is based in Russia? Not sure, but if it is, adding snow would be great, and other weather conditions - dusty, cloudy, foggy, etc...

SUGGESTION....

So i was thinking the other day while i was running around stary about just how short the grass in the paddocks were, and how they have been that way for months. I know this might have some problems to it but if there was some sort of continual growth of the flora on the map it would be awesome. maybe just an update every month or 2 to change the hight of the grass in the field or sprout some more weeds in the main cities along the footpaths. vines could grow further up the walls of buildings. Just a sense of a world changing with time.

I dont know how hard this would be, and it wouldnt even need to be regular, just enough to notice. I realize that it could get to the stage where it goes to far and the grass is 2m tall or something, im not sure exactly how you would get around this, maybe just revert back to the start and start again? I just think that this could lead to differing combat situations, especially in open field confrontations.

Thoughts?

Also with this suggestion, nice idea, but what will happen once the grass reaches a certain height? Does it reset? Or keep growing? That's one reason why it might not work, or more, that it wouldn't be natural, not exactly sure how to put it. Either way, I' not sure what to think :? That is one strange suggestion, although it is 'realistic'. But to me, right now it's just not worth adding in, maybe later when the game has been on the road for a while.

Edited by Bombolz
  • Like 1

I also have a question, seeing as rocket replies to other threads, I don't mean to offend him in any way, but does he actually read the stuff in this thread? I mean, he probably does, or someone who works there does, but I just don't see him post anywhere in this thread, especially seeing as there are sooo many good suggestions here by the dayz community that I find it amusing, I check this thread out almost everyday when I get he chance to. Maybe he's got the idea down and focusing on getting that get release, and maybe he'll add these suggestions later? - well this is a pretty damn ambitious project.

And if he does read this: Thanks for making something that many developers fail to do, I admire what you are doing right now, continue with the great work!

• Like 1

Dont know if it was mentioned before.

The Gun itself has to be a container for one Magazine itself.

It realy puzzeld me first time i reloaded my AK und found the same amount of Mags in my Backback as before.

It schould be in the Gun not in the Backpack anymore.

Weapons, those Weapons,

I would like the more realistic way as pointet out in the Description by Rocket himself.

Only Weapons that have a realistic chance to be Found in a pre-Sovjietstate.

Friend uses a SAW in DAYZ but an RPK would be more fitting.

A Gun like the HK 41X that was solely developed by HK in and for the US-Market would simply ruin the game for me.

It is too unrealistic to find such a Rare Weapon in a Russian State.

So a German Sturmgewehr STG44 (WWII) or a Jarygin PJa (New Russian Military Police Gun) would be fine.

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

I also have a question, seeing as rocket replies to other threads, I don't mean to offend him in any way, but does he actually read the stuff in this thread? I mean, he probably does, or someone who works there does, but I just don't see him post anywhere in this thread, especially seeing as there are sooo many good suggestions here by the dayz community that I find it amusing, I check this thread out almost everyday when I get he chance to. Maybe he's got the idea down and focusing on getting that get release, and maybe he'll add these suggestions later? - well this is a pretty damn ambitious project.

And if he does read this: Thanks for making something that many developers fail to do, I admire what you are doing right now, continue with the great work!

He reads and writes in the forums, he sometimes reads the suggestions but he never ever writes here. He prolly reads the most commented threads in here.

I see you have not added any sniper rifles to this list, i do dissagree greatly as you have added vehicles. And as people are complaining that the AS50 and M107 shouldnt be in the game because they are anti-vehicle weapons then you have take the vehicles out of the game too then please. Or we could etleast have one amazing gun in the game that we all aim to get (a lot of us anyway) such as the AS50 and M107, but a nice thread :).

The Weapons Wishlist is a WIP and as such I haven't covered them yet :)

EDIT: Now I have, Shotguns and LMGs on the way.

Edited by ruarz

Don't get angry because I mention call of duty. But this suggestion came from it, weather should impact gameplay - snow blizzards drastically decrease vision as well as freeze the crap out of you for example. Now here is where cod comes in, when it there is thunder, shooting your gun while thunder strikes will not alert zombies, and other players will find it very hard to hear, even if they are nearby. And just to re-mention this suggestion, I would think that many others would agree with this idea, but

1. There definitely needs to be more urban places, such that a larger population would live in (hence there would be more zombies). More like the forest in Dayz now, as well as the inclusion of cities like New York (or a city thats really big).

2. The weather system should be revised, I've heard that this is based in Russia? Not sure, but if it is, adding snow would be great, and other weather conditions - dusty, cloudy, foggy, etc...

Also with this suggestion, nice idea, but what will happen once the grass reaches a certain height? Does it reset? Or keep growing? That's one reason why it might not work, or more, that it wouldn't be natural, not exactly sure how to put it. Either way, I' not sure what to think :? That is one strange suggestion, although it is 'realistic'. But to me, right now it's just not worth adding in, maybe later when the game has been on the road for a while.

Well yeah thats what i said about the whole what if it goes too far thing, and i realise it wouldnt be that easy to do. Rocket said that they were gonna play it simple to start off with and then get risky later on, so maybe this could be a risky addition. Worth looking into if you ask me.

Dont know if it was mentioned before.

The Gun itself has to be a container for one Magazine itself.

It realy puzzeld me first time i reloaded my AK und found the same amount of Mags in my Backback as before.

It schould be in the Gun not in the Backpack anymore.

Weapons, those Weapons,

I would like the more realistic way as pointet out in the Description by Rocket himself.

Only Weapons that have a realistic chance to be Found in a pre-Sovjietstate.

Friend uses a SAW in DAYZ but an RPK would be more fitting.

A Gun like the HK 41X that was solely developed by HK in and for the US-Market would simply ruin the game for me.

It is too unrealistic to find such a Rare Weapon in a Russian State.

So a German Sturmgewehr STG44 (WWII) or a Jarygin PJa (New Russian Military Police Gun) would be fine.

Mosin Nagant 1891/30 FTW!!!!! I own this myself. Epic reliable rifle WWI,WWII and beyond era rifle. Very common should replace lee enfield.should be able to attach a bayonet to the end of the bolt action rifles for CQC.

• Like 1

I has idea for generators... Genorator is found broken and takes an engine part and fuel tank part and holds one jerry can worth of fuel to run electronics for say 12hours max on one tank and powers all electrical devices within a radius that varies depending on the type of genorator and of corse you would need light switches. And to carry them they could count as a back pack.

This would be good for clans because they could keep lights on in their base or in a building or evn just a room also they would need portable builders yard lights that extend the generators power range to a set amount. Then the generators could be used in the middle of nowhere or at devils castle where there are no electric lights.

one very simple suggestion :

please don´t make the clouds always move to the east (like it is now) in the final.

this makes orientation much too easy.

if there is wind in the standalone, make them move accordingly. if there is no wind make them move randomly.

thank you.

one very simple suggestion :

please don´t make the clouds always move to the east (like it is now) in the final.

this makes orientation much too easy.

if there is wind in the standalone, make them move accordingly. if there is no wind make them move randomly.

thank you.

Weather patterns move according to the jet stream and move almost exclusively from west to east (with some northern and southern drift).

• Like 1

Here is something that I haven't seen yet...I hope. So your running through the woods when suddenly you spot a player! You crouch down and start creeping up on him,Then it gives you a option to cut throat or hold hostage/tie up the player? I think it would make for some very interesting gameplay when your holding a hostage as a human shield.

Here is something that I haven't seen yet...I hope. So your running through the woods when suddenly you spot a player! You crouch down and start creeping up on him,Then it gives you a option to cut throat or hold hostage/tie up the player? I think it would make for some very interesting gameplay when your holding a hostage as a human shield.

I guess so, but then what happens to the hostage when:

1. The other player is a troll and will keep him hostage forever or something?

2. Ties the other player up and leaves him in a closet - might as well suicide

3. Who's gonna save you anyway if your playing solo

So good idea, not sure how it is going to work though.

I have a suggestion, I'm sure no one has suggested because it IS a little odd. But maybe a mini-game hosted by private servers where players are soldiers parachuting into dayz map and have a certain time limit to meet up at a certain rendezvous point or something before a zombie army attacks. Objectives? Survive or defend or something. This is to take a breath from the actual dayz, since it is more team work and more laid back since you spawn as a new character with weapons already and hence nothing to risk. I think that this is the first, awesome thing where its a realistic zombie style with an army of players. Or maybe the objectives are to survive as long as possible sorta like a wave system where after each wave you can loot ammo, find bandages or manage to safety bandage yourself without being attacked before the next round. To me this seems pretty cool, thoughts?

• Like 1

dont know if this is already mentioned:

But how abou adding the possibility to pimp cars? just like in the old TV series A-Team

find a weapon (M249 Saw for example and mount it on the car. And also make it more save by adding steelplates.

That should make the car slower and should waste more fuel but also make it more resistent against attacks.

Should be possible to expand certain components of the car, such like bigger fuel tank, bigger engine, more loading space ....

would be pretty cool in my opinion, and also adds a new tasks for some groups out there :)

So instead of implementing a lot of HHMVES with guns or other combat ready technicals (you could still do that but very very very rare ;) ) let the people build up there own A-Team like improved "Tanks" :D

Ok, imagine that happening to you, but you dont want to be tied, so you could altf4 and go back to other server, you would spawn tied up, and unless you are very skilled you are going to have a hard time freeing up yourself and in the proccess you will problably starve or dehydrate to death, so lets say you want to continue playing, forced in this condition of spectator, a humiliating scene without knowing what can happen to you or if he will set you free. This is not like being sniped, this is actually forcing someone to do one thing, that is when a game becomes a burden. So, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! never to your idea.

Nothing against you dude

• Like 2

I read the OP but not the 33 pages of comments that follow, so I apologize if this has been brought up before.

Pen and paper is an excellent idea, but what about Polaroid photos?

An instant camera (aka Polaroid) makes the most sense, since there would hardly be a way to develop film or print digital pictures in a post-apocalypse world :) You would need to find a working camera, film, and possibly batteries. Then you could take pictures of whatever you want. Keep the photos, pass them along or leave them for someone else to find. Players could use the camera to document their deeds, share loot locations and hideouts among friends, recon enemy locations, mark players for elimination, and so on.

By the way, this suggestion is based on another thread I read today. There are several others who have already suggested this.

Edit: The amount of film should probably be limited per server to avoid clutter. For the same reason, it shouldn't be possible to put up pictures on the walls and such; photos stack like any other item. Also, most instant cameras need batteries so you'd have to keep those handy as well.

Edited by Bakst
  • Like 1