ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

Well...

After a day or 2 tinkering with other peoples images/ideas I have finished what I think is a nice balance for the GUI and Inventory screen...

I'll try to point out what I have changed from other peoples ideas/images and talk you around the UI

also... apologies/thanks to:

- Ruarz

- Inde

as this is more their work than my own... I just added my own take on the idea (and some more of other peoples ideas) (if my using your images bothers you let me know and i'll take the post down)

post-122035-0-19503500-1352076082_thumb.

01) Consolidated most(all) HUD elements to the bottom corner - easier if you only have 1 place to

look for those details.

02) Shown the size of items on the ground so you can judge if you have the spare space or what

you would need to drop in order to carry the new item.

03) Left the HUD in a visible location when in the inventory, means that if moving items around

inventory makes noise is implemented you can keep an eye on that.

04) The waist slot can have several options, Bumbag(fannypack), PLCE (webbing) etc... slots

beneath are unlocked depending on the size/quality of equipment.

05) You can see the various "locked" pockets/pouches etc by the darkened out slots (bottom PLCE

pouch, lower trouser pockets etc)

06) The bottom "active" PLCE pouch is a special pouch (medical) that conveys a bonus to

bandaging speed, others would be available and it creates skills that can be changed as

found/required. this would promote team play if you are limited to fewer pouches than available.

07) Added a second neck slot, this could be used for a scarf of some description to aid temperature

or some kind of aid to camoflage (face mask etc)

08) Not on this image but was going to include some kind of indicator on the canteen to fill level.

probably a blue teardrop shape. could be used to facilitate canteen not being emptied with a

single drink.

09) The backpack button at the top of the slots allows you to have backpack open or closed and

assists in being able to move things around your inventory easily (as soon as you have a

backpack at least)

10) I'm aware a lot of people dont like the "inventory tetris" thing but it does (to a certain degree)

add to the realism without things getting silly... I personally would also include a means of

roatating items during placement (such as right clicking while an item is being held)

11) Havent ignored the combining items/crafting element that was included in Ruarz's image... just

think it would be more appropriate that you could only do it at some kind of table/workbench

which would open up a different aspect of the UI (probably where the "on ground" area is.

Hope you like what i have done... looking forward to standalone and being able to see which direction it goes.

• Like 1

I think something that will be really cool is weather such as snow and stuff but that will be pretty hard to do since its in real time so idk bout that idea. Also add close quarters combat like how it is in Metal Gear Solid that would be awesome like if u get ambushed n a enemy is next to u. u can grab him as a hostage like in a chokehold. then add rope to tie up ppl so if u sneak up on a group n one of them is a lone u can have like a ransom like "give me ur equipment or some thing like literally kidnapping tieing them up n stuff they r ideas so say something if u agree or disagree. It would be cool fo a map have like a huge city like new york n boston since they are huge and all full of buildings so there can be urban sniper warfare n add melee weapons like knifes or throwable knifes tomohawks n spears that would be nice . also workshops were u can make tools n stuff where u can get these supplies to make this so u wont need to find weapons u can make them urself but have like a con for ths like make it weaker. also have weapons downgrade. The biggest issue to me besides hackers is inventory systems plz fix that i lost a M4 because i had to drop it for something

Well this addresses nearly all of the concepts and Ideas that I've ever made toward this game, I may add additional suggestions for your consideration later.

For now only one comes to mind, an addition to the generators concept, and that is if you gas up a generator hooked up to the local grid you can power up the local lights for night time. Base building wise hook up lamps connected via a cable so you can light up your pretty little base inside and out as long as the fuel is pumping...electric fences anyone?

More apocalyptic elements. There could be periodic, massive waves of zombies that crush everything in its path (in some movies/series you see packs of zombies travelling for unknown reasons). If you are inside a house, and a wave comes, they will start hitting the house (the doors, the windows, or even cracks in the walls) until they get you. The scene would be terrorific. If you are in a camp, and your watchman yells "a wave is coming in this direction!", you would have to decide whether you will fight, or grab some items and move somewhere else.

The decision to move should be very tough, so I thought the environment should be harsher. Someone suggested implementing seasons. Each season should bring its own problems, like extreme cold (winter) or heat (summer), mozquitos (spring? or spring could be the good one, with no problems at all), less protection offered by the forests (fall), lack or abundance of wild animals, etc.

Edited by shanewalsh

More zombie stuff,

Make zombies stay once spawned in, rather than running away from a town and the zeds disappearing and you can't tell if a player is nearby if the zombies stay. The server, if possible, would remember all the zombies. Zombie spawns should be more random and spread out rather then clumped in a group.

Also, when you aggro zombies, once you leave the zombies visible and audible range they stop running after you however they will move in the direction of where they last heard/saw you. They could 'despawn' if they reach the map limit.

E.g. The Walking Dead, season 2, how Hershel's Farm gets overrun, it shows you the zombies in Atlanta city, a helicopter flys by and they are attracted to the noise, although the chopper is long gone the zeds have gone in the same direction as the chopper, they are then distracted by a gunshot at the farm.

Seasons, TBH there's no real point, I'd be happier if they made the map a little bigger with snowy parts or covered some exhisitng areas in snow like the Northern hills where players set up camps, maybe NWAF, NEAF and Devil's Castle.

Also implemented wind more, high winds could effect bullet trajectory and even pull your vehicle when driving and make it difficult to walk, but also blow zombies over if the wind is strong enough, as well as decreasing visibility when raining/snowing. Imagine if there was a real high wind and blew a zombie over but it's head smashed against a wall.

food !

rocket or other devs, please look at the food stuff,

when i walk in a forest i see food every where, not just animals nor cans of food, i see pine trees birch trees ferns mushrooms and a lot more you can eat and can't eat in real life, but there is a hell of a lot that you can eat and i think you should add bush food in the mix for the real survival experience rather than canned beans or pasta, damn you can even eat clovers and grass if need be.

besides the food stuff (read some survival guides and or survival food books) we need a water filter of sorts DIY or factory made. who knows what is in those stale ponds.

on a weapon related note, make magazines rare but ammo, the bullets less rare, never throw away empty magazines when there is no need, or give us a dump bag, useful for wasted mags and or foraging

make it harder and yet less stupid, i probably would never go for canned food in real life in such a situation, simply because it is more a problem due to waste, and on that please let us drop wasted cans of food and drinks after we used those or keep them empty in our inventory. (ever heard of clean camping ?)

Better weather effect. The only thing we have is rain, rain with lightning, sunny day and a sky cover with cloud...

We should have more stuff like Wind that affect rain, bullet and visibility. More weather like snow or hail (for some area).

Some storm with more rain and crazy wind that make amost sniping impossible.

It took a while but I read through it all. I love almost everything, and I am VERY impressed with how much time you put in to this. Please don't stop working on/updating this. There is a reason this thread is so big. I genuinely hope that Rocket looks through all this. There is so much that can be done with this game and even though in the last few months I've become slightly bored with it, you give me great hope for its future. keep up the awesome work

EDIT: one thing I would like to see and posted a while back is to get remove the ammo count when wielding a weapon. Most of the HUD is being removed for realism, you should have to keep track of the shots you fire. That if you want to know how many shots you have you need to open your inventory and check the magazine. Its could really add to the suspense of the game, getting cornered by zombies shooting your way out when you just hear *click* because you forgot you only had 2 shots left.

Just some food for thought

Edited by kranic3
  • Like 2

More Wind, could blow down trees, trees landing on tents could destroy them losing all loot inside or some spreads out of it? the fallen trees would block roads and wreck vehicles. Also leaves and debris would fly around obscuring vision, not like a tornado but bits of paper and stuff. Different wind SFX too, like whistling and howling, trees creaking and leaves rustling, tin cans being blown around (when near buildings), also noise could be carried a greater distance in the wind.

OMG I come back 2 weeks later and I see soo many suggestions being repeated. Someone shoot me in the head. Please use the search engine plox

After reading this,what can i say,the detail in these suggestion..i would be happy if half were going to be in-games..imagine more of them! Amazing project this i call.. good going!

The weapons wishlist is now complete with Machine Guns and Shotguns

This is not so much about weapons, but an Idea that I think would rock. Add all the maps in the standalone, all connected. Such as to the far south east in the ocean, have the island of Lingor, to the far west Fallujah, etc. When you first connect you get to choose the map you wish to connect to, but not the random spawn point. Travel would take a long time by foot (almost imposable to swim to the islands). "Loading" screens would most definitely need to be accepted, as it would most likely require a synching to another server. I do not know the feasibility of this, but I think it would be awesome to be able to travel from map to map.

I also posted this on the reddit

EDIT:(not on reddit) I read through a bunch of GUI and Backpack ideas. I want to go back to encumbrance. If you can carry it, you can carry it. a 'slot' based pack is a bad idea, e.g. a small person could carry 50 empty 1911 mags with no problem, and they all would fit in a coyote pack (but not when 'slot' based inventory system in used). Could every 'useable' item have two variables attached to them, weight, and size? A car tire could never fit in a backpack, but could be carried (as long as primary weapon were slung on your back). Which would bring up this point, a car tire that will fix a bus, will also fix an old bike? (I know, thats a throw to arma's limitations but just giving notice to the idea). Have like the old Diablo inventory screen, but you dont have to fenaggle items to fit (it could grow in optical size on screen?). If you do take the time to arrange the items in your inventory it will make for finding things easier, but just throwing them in makes for a jumbled mess? if the total square cm of items will fit, then the items will fit in the bag. (Ever looked into your girlfriends purse?) If the total weight of the items in the bag were below the players max encumbrance the player could carry the bag (ever picked up your girl friends purse?).

Edited by BelMarduk

For what it's worth, I'll add my two cents...

I think DayZ's setting should remain in Eastern European/Russian territory. Other games (we all know which one) are already set in the United States. The way forward is a development of Chernarus in my book. I believe the atmosphere created in DayZ is spot on with regards to the setting and so it should be built upon rather than scrapped altogether. DayZ should also incorporate the cool concept of dangerous environments for players along the lines of Emissions in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

stalker2_large.jpg

UwJgaKume4E.jpg

stalker-Shadow-of-Chernobyl_03.jpg

prequeal_screen_01b.jpg

stalker-1.jpg

745px-SCOP_Skadovsk_Overview.png

0009672.jpg

pripyat-1.jpg

Add Zombie dogs that run around in packs through the forests.

• Like 1

Honestly I would love if rocket implemented a way to start a town. Rebuilding civilisation would be a great idea. A clan can have a built refuge. ITs kind of like a base but with fleshed out trading stores ETC. Dayz isn't just about making friends and killing zombies but a simulation of what would you do in an apocalypse if I was in a zombie apocalypse I would build a town with my clan.

Town idea: *ability to build towns

* town will appear on maps

*Trade routes can be established from town to town

* towns can be raided

Any one who want to support his idea just keep on adding to it man!

This are all good and well ideas, but I think we need to be radical, think out of the box, fuck the box, make sweet sensual love with the box, have the boxes babies, take those babies to school, say goodbye to the box-babies when they move out, getting letters from your box son saying hes going well, attending your box-sons and his wife's first house, where they also establish their own box-child, when you are old and on your deathbed your box-child will be there holding your hand, you dying but your box-son keeping the legacy of "box fuckers".

THE END

Mmmm. Not sure about the intended changes in the health system.

Most of the deseases start with coughing... but which one do I have in case?

I doubt it is big fun to have one of 10 or more possible deseases that have to be cured by one of 10 bespoke types of medicine... which are all rare to get and you simply will not know which one is the right medicine to get... and where.

In my opinion a player should definitely know somehow which desease he has and how to treat it. Therefore I would prefer less options of getting ill and less medical treatment.

I doubt it is fun if you have to go to a doctor first, who tells you which medicine you need (or study medical science for this purpose).

Compared to other parts of the game, this seems way to complex (not well balanced I think).

Better add more realism to the surviving aspect in free nature (if not moving in a desert, there should be a plenty to eat/ drink from; e.g. an apple -> very common).

All other suggestions (except health system) seems really great... if half of them make it to the final game I'd be very glad.

Edited by Looter

You know those stories that claim that Green mountain is haunted?

You know those halloween events many games have?

I think we should get some paranormal stuff (during halloween only)

Also, Rocket said that he will have some narrative, but not too much, he doesn't want to force it on the player.

I think at the start you should get some general info about Chernarus and then try to find out what REALLY happened through audio logs, hidden documents etc.

Kinda like what L4D has. At the start you know: 4 survivors are trying to get the fuck outta here. Later you find out (if you observe the scribblings in the safe rooms and look out for comics that Valve puts out) where and how the outbreak started, you start figuring out how the disease works, you learn that all those times the escape vehicle crashed it was your fault - you infected the driver, and finally you learn that you are a carrier!

What I am saying is: give people basic narrative whenever you feel like it and hide the clues for more backstory in some basements, labs etc. I think it would be cool to have lots of people on the forums speculate what really happened and why (Rocket should not confirm anything, he should leave it to the players to gradually discover)

• Like 1

You know those stories that claim that Green mountain is haunted?

You know those halloween events many games have?

I think we should get some paranormal stuff (during halloween only)

Also, Rocket said that he will have some narrative, but not too much, he doesn't want to force it on the player.

I think at the start you should get some general info about Chernarus and then try to find out what REALLY happened through audio logs, hidden documents etc.

Kinda like what L4D has. At the start you know: 4 survivors are trying to get the fuck outta here. Later you find out (if you observe the scribblings in the safe rooms and look out for comics that Valve puts out) where and how the outbreak started, you start figuring out how the disease works, you learn that all those times the escape vehicle crashed it was your fault - you infected the driver, and finally you learn that you are a carrier!

What I am saying is: give people basic narrative whenever you feel like it and hide the clues for more backstory in some basements, labs etc. I think it would be cool to have lots of people on the forums speculate what really happened and why (Rocket should not confirm anything, he should leave it to the players to gradually discover)

That would be pretty cool, similar to what Notch did with the Herobrine creepy-pasta in Minecraft. But like you said the narrative should be kept in the background, you don't want to force it on the player. Mostly it would be clues about the infection and the fall of civilization. I really like the idea of it being an ongoing story that develops organically over time with the community and devs working in tandem. The important thing here is for the narrative to fit the gameplay mechanics already in place, not the other way around.

• Like 1

There should be an economic system in the game.

There is very little to motivate players in DayZ to do good instead of bad. We need a REWARD/PUNISHMENT system. For example, reward morally good players with co-ordinates to better loot that has been buried and punish mass murderers with BOUNTIES on their heads. With this system what you'll organically create will be a system where the watchers are being watched. The Bandits feed off the Bambi's (beginners) and the Watchers (heros) will feed off the Bandits. Now if you were to go one step further, you could add in military to watch over everybody...

There needs to be some kind of system in place where your choices affect your character and the consequences faced to curb and refrain from the all out Team Deathmatch mentality we usually come across in it's current format (Elektro anyone?) This is a world in which you have to survive, where alliances must be made in order to complete certain tasks as opposed to a "shoot-on-sight" mindframe.

We need to create a world that comes alive. There needs to be currency in an economic system - perhaps use cigarettes or bullets as currency.

There should be a "survivors HQ" where you can interact with other bambi's, trade and socialize. From there, you can go outside and discover the region. Perhaps have military NPC's around the HQ. Can you imagine the chaos of having 15 bandits strategically attack the survivors base to steal a military tank? What a battle....

Alternatively, bandits/mercenaries must also have their camps for similar use.

We need a variety in the monster department. Zombies are fair enough but they shouldn't be so agressive for no reason. Mostly they should stand around and walk aimlessly. When you set them off, have swarms of them run at you ala Left 4 Dead. Include zombified dogs that scavenge around the region or that hunt in packs. Include mosters akin to lurkers or bloodsuckers ala S.T.A.L.K.E.R which would make entering a wooded area at night a dangerous prospect. It would really add to the atmosphere.

I agree with the random events taking place wether environmental or otherwise. They should be extremely rare which would set alight the YouTube community in recording such an event such as a transmission stating that a cargo plane has been downed in a certain area. It would give the feeling that DayZ was constantly "Live". What you suddenly have is a massive on-set of priorities in getting to the crash before others in a bid to loot the contents. Others could included forest fires, or promises of military evacuations should any survivors reach the evac point. There is so much you could do with such a scenario...perhaps you make it to the evac point only to find the the military dead or perhaps you could fight the swarms of zombies with the military only to have them all killed and to find yourself alone once again...ah, just another day in DayZ. One I particularly like would be that of weather Emissions where players would be scrambling for concrete cover!

Edited by zZz13