ImpulZ

Stable Update 1.09

19 hours ago, Derleth said:

That's how it's supposed to be! And also why I have max players at 12  but five times the default amount of zeds on my server... I suspect default numbers are low because of the pretty modest minimum system requirements for a server. So, by default a server can spawn no more than 1,000 zombies at any time and I'd assume official servers use the defaults.

This is the way I want it:

Well you still get that with the default settings, because they spawn out of nowhere and you can do that every 10 minutes or so. On a private server we would routinely come to a location, get on the car or shed etc., fire a round and end up with dozens of dead infected at our feet. 

For me it's one of the elements that is plain stupid. Idea of it is correct but the implementation is just terrible. This way you always get a horde no matter what and it's always roughly same size, regardless of location. 

On 9/12/2020 at 11:51 AM, William Sternritter said:

Well you still get that with the default settings, because they spawn out of nowhere and you can do that every 10 minutes or so. On a private server we would routinely come to a location, get on the car or shed etc., fire a round and end up with dozens of dead infected at our feet. 

For me it's one of the elements that is plain stupid. Idea of it is correct but the implementation is just terrible. This way you always get a horde no matter what and it's always roughly same size, regardless of location. 

Yeah a system where they spawn independent of player proximity and roam around would be much more immersive, but to be fair I understand why it is not like that. It would be an enormous server performance hog.

Some smarter logic to when, where and how they spawn should definitely be possible though, there are some mods working with how they spawn and even in vanilla you can work with more "static" rather than "dynamic" zeds. Dynamic are triggered by players, static are always active. By default only a few locations have a few static zombies. Normal setup is that zombies spawn as players are approaching an area, and despawn soon after they have left. There is a safe radius around a player so no zombie can spawn on top of you, they spawn some hundred meters away and can then wander closer (or come running if you're shooting). This means that if there are zombies around you when you log in you know there are other players in that town.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1

@Derleth Yeah, and I even get the server performance limitation, still the game should spawn in infected perhaps from further distance, but more importantly all the infected. It's really stupid when you come to a secluded location with 1-3 zombies, but when you shoot there's 15 of them.

This  means that if there are zombies around you when you log in you know there are other players in that town.

Yeah and this, probably the biggest issue with all that is generated by player presence. You just immediately know. 

• Like 1

I can't be the only one who has noticed that footwear has had it's durability reduced, right? Or at least, the wear has been increased and I cannot fathom why. It was already a ridiculous situation to be in having leather working boots fall apart from walking from the coast to Tisy. It's only 16km from the coast to Tisy along most of the common loot runs, I shouldn't have to carry 2 spare pairs of boots with me.

Not only does it mean there are less to spawn, but you can't carry things like weapon repair kits or leather sewing kits on you because your bag is full of shoes. Even when you do find a repair kit, and can repair your shoes they are damaged again after a kilometre or two and you have to stop to fix them again. It's incredibly tedious for no discernible gain in immersion of added gameplay value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrotherPlum said:

I can't be the only one who has noticed that footwear has had it's durability reduced, right? Or at least, the wear has been increased and I cannot fathom why. It was already a ridiculous situation to be in having leather working boots fall apart from walking from the coast to Tisy. It's only 16km from the coast to Tisy along most of the common loot runs, I shouldn't have to carry 2 spare pairs of boots with me.

Not only does it mean there are less to spawn, but you can't carry things like weapon repair kits or leather sewing kits on you because your bag is full of shoes. Even when you do find a repair kit, and can repair your shoes they are damaged again after a kilometre or two and you have to stop to fix them again. It's incredibly tedious for no discernible gain in immersion of added gameplay value.

Boots seem fine... if you're sprinting the whole way your boots will get damaged faster... I don't have a problem with the way boots are. It isn't an issue for me. Plus there are far more concerning things.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

2 hours ago, BAHADIR said:

Bases still get destroyed easily, right ?

No. It's considerably more difficult. To break into a base typically multiple people with at least 4-5 frag grenades to break in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, discipled said:

Boots seem fine... if you're sprinting the whole way your boots will get damaged faster... I don't have a problem with the way boots are. It isn't an issue for me. Plus there are far more concerning things.

I don't sprint at all now because of this and I can assure you it's like wearing paper bags even while moving at normal speed and it seems to be worse on Livonia. Boots wear out by the time you get to Novy Sobor, you're bleeding and need to find new shoes. On Livonia, you can't walk from Topolin to Kolembrody on a single repair.

Just because you haven't noticed it, doesn't mean it's not a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrotherPlum said:

Just because you haven't noticed it, doesn't mean it's not a problem.

I’ve experienced the wear you’ve been having and would say that it is not a problem at all. Finding new footwear is not an issue and the current supply is just fine.  This is with new spawns on Chernarus and Livonia. Official servers. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Parazight said:

I’ve experienced the wear you’ve been having and would say that it is not a problem at all. Finding new footwear is not an issue and the current supply is just fine.  This is with new spawns on Chernarus and Livonia. Official servers. 

It can be a problem if your running with 4 people, not as many shoes to go around granted this only happened to me once and one person didn't realize they had a leather repair kit until the damage was done... It's an annoyance more than anything repairing every 30-40 mins. Not sure how realistic this would be but i think shoes should wear out less on roads and maybe higher quality boots last longer, maybe like hunting/jungle boots would last longer off road.

9 minutes ago, Robzom11 said:

It can be a problem if your running with 4 people, not as many shoes to go around granted this only happened to me once and one person didn't realize they had a leather repair kit until the damage was done... It's an annoyance more than anything repairing every 30-40 mins. Not sure how realistic this would be but i think shoes should wear out less on roads and maybe higher quality boots last longer, maybe like hunting/jungle boots would last longer off road.

It's already like that. Soft terrain generally wear shoes slower than rough terrain, so if you can run on grass or on paths do that rather than through the boonies. As for the shoes themselves the hiking boots last a great deal longer than runners or sneakers for example. Of the military boots the hunter boots are the best ones, the assault boots (the ones with the knife slot) are almost as soft as civilian shoes. I'd like to see a little bigger difference between various shoes, with simple runners wearing out as fast as now but the best shoes lasting maybe two or three times as long as they do currently. Also if you step on a bear trap wearing runners you'll almost die, while a pair of working boots will take most of the blow.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Derleth said:

I'd like to see a little bigger difference between various shoes, with simple runners wearing out as fast as now but the best shoes lasting maybe two or three times as long as they do currently. Also if you step on a bear trap wearing runners you'll almost die, while a pair of working boots will take most of the blow. 

And in noise as well I would say.

I would like that sprinting all around with heavy boots would make way more noise than now...and way more than crunching with tennis ones.

So you could have a reason to be stealthy.

But the difference is tiny, I would say I dont even know how much noticeable.

2 hours ago, Roddis said:

And in noise as well I would say.

I would like that sprinting all around with heavy boots would make way more noise than now...and way more than crunching with tennis ones.

So you could have a reason to be stealthy.

But the difference is tiny, I would say I dont even know how much noticeable.

They do actually make more or less noise depending on the foot wear. You can tell by the noise symbol on the bottom left. Heavy work boots are 4 bars in noise when just jogging... bare feet are 2 bars. The shoes you wear actually do change how noisy you are and your ability to sneak around zombies and players.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, discipled said:

They do actually make more or less noise depending on the foot wear. You can tell by the noise symbol on the bottom left. Heavy work boots are 4 bars in noise when just jogging... bare feet are 2 bars. The shoes you wear actually do change how noisy you are and your ability to sneak around zombies and players.

I know that and I tried to say, in my opinion, gap between crunch with tennis shoes vs running with heavy boots is too subtle.

I noticed this because as a player that like to play stealthy it happen very commonly this scenario to me:

Im traversing a town crunching with tennis shoes and stumble upon a player running with boots (without eye contact).

It happen that we hear each other almost the same time cause both will stop suddenly almost the same time (hearing the other is there).

When happen I win the match, I usually observe they wear heavy boots (commonly, people dont even know boots have different noise level, even if so slightly)

Edited by Roddis
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Roddis said:

Im traversing a town crunching with tennis shoes and stumble upon a player running with boots (without eye contact).

So, which is it?

First you say that the difference is too subtle.  Then you say that you identified someone by the sound of their boots.  Further, you determined that someone was there only by sound.  A person wears footwear that is more durable but is slightly louder.   Seems like a fair trade off.

At any rate, having to repair footwear is a fine mechanic to have to deal with for a video game.  It seems to be balanced well.  Some say that it is too short.  I would say that it is authentic enough.  Should we also balance gardening so that it takes months to grow a pumpkin?  Do we really need realism here?  No.  If we were going for realism, we wouldn't have zombies either, huh.

• Like 1

It seems Im unable to make me understood, which is perfecy legit due my English.

Last attempt, if I wear less loud footwear crinching would be reasonable that I hear someone running with heavy boots first. So should be me hearing him while he is still unaware of me.

huh.

Edited by Roddis

3 hours ago, Roddis said:

It seems Im unable to make me understood, which is perfecy legit due my English.

Last attempt, if I wear less loud footwear crinching would be reasonable that I hear someone running with heavy boots first. So should be me hearing him while he is still unaware of me.

huh.

Maybe there are other factors that affect audio besides the sound of footsteps.  So, it’s not ALL about the shoes one wears.  The game can’t balance around just that.  There are also a lot of variables. 

English doesn’t use ‘crunching’ or ‘crinching’ In this manner. ‘Crinching’ isn’t even a word. 

good luck. 

@Parazight

"The girlfriend was going to come home and give me shit...yet again.  I was crinching at the thought of that."

Believe me, it's a word.  😋

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John erskine said:

I love the new idea of the flag pole but it's bugged it disappears on a reset 

That means your server has not updated its types.xml, if the flag pole is not in that file it won't be persistent and despawn as soon as you turn your back more or less.

Update 1.09.153407 - Release on 16.09.2020

FIXED

• Fixed a server crash
  • Fixed a crash while loading into the main menu/server (caused by corrupted local cached character data)
  • Fixed a bug, allowing the player to drag full stacks of stones by using the combine area in the inventory
  • Fixed an issue resulting in unmounted but attached barbed wire giving a damage
  • Fixed an issue causing weapons to become stuck when dropped from an unconscious player during reload
  • Fixed a bug preventing pulling dead players from the Olga in certain cases
  • Fixed an issue blocking base building close to other base building objects
  • Fixed an issue preventing the collision of tent doors/walls from updating until the next server restart

CHANGED

• Placement of base building objects was made less restrictive (reducing gaps in between)
  • The Revolver reload should be more responsive now
  • Increased the durability of the IJ-70 pistol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 2