ImpulZ

Experimental Update 1.09 (Changelog)

4 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

But what I'd really like to see as far as a change in spawning goes, is for players to spawn with a full stomach, so there isn't this silly, automatic, need to go racing around for food the second you're in the game. But, food sources, including animals should be made harder to find/hunt.

100% disagree.  PVE is extraordinarily easy.  Need more animals and less ambient spawn food.  IMO, make Bambi life harder.  It’s not like you have anything of value to lose anyway. As it stands, you can fresh spawn and then server hop to jump further inland, also.  

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

But what I'd really like to see as far as a change in spawning goes, is for players to spawn with a full stomach, so there isn't this silly, automatic, need to go racing around for food the second you're in the game. But, food sources, including animals should be made harder to find/hunt.

As things stand, there's a mad dash to get all your vitals into the white. But from there on in, it's easy street as far as food is concerned. So the only hardship, as far as food is concerned, is the pain in the arse the player has to go through at the beginning of every character.

So, spawning characters with damaged clothes also, is just going to make that pain in the arse even worse.

What? Are you crazy? Do you know how big the energy and water storage actually are? You would never even need food. Pff come on. Survival is easy as it is. The bit early struggle is a core game mechanic. FYI: getting food/water full filled white equals 4% energy and 24% drink of the total capacity. 

Edit: and thanks Derloth for digging into the infected distribution. And I want to acknowledge that three bugs mentioned here were already fixed (infected type, damage by running car, lifetime of weapon after death). Thanks devs!

Edited by moeb1us
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

2 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

The solution there is to delete the body and the gear, so freshies don't just sprint to where they dropped.

I do agree corpses remain far too long.  You should be able to loot a player you killed but you should not be able to respawn and run back to your previous body and loot it.  I think 10 minutes is plenty of time to loot your kill.  You should get that loot not the guy you just killed.  The corpse should vanish after 10 minutes.

I don't agree though with what you said about freshies having full energy and hydration.  As others have pointed out, with full energy to start with, you could go for hours and not eat a thing and never lose any health.  I think that would take away from the survival aspects too much.

16 minutes ago, drgullen said:

I do agree corpses remain far too long.  You should be able to loot a player you killed but you should not be able to respawn and run back to your previous body and loot it.  I think 10 minutes is plenty of time to loot your kill.  You should get that loot not the guy you just killed.  The corpse should vanish after 10 minutes.

I don't agree though with what you said about freshies having full energy and hydration.  As others have pointed out, with full energy to start with, you could go for hours and not eat a thing and never lose any health.  I think that would take away from the survival aspects too much.

I think the body timer is perfect as is. It allows for people to cautiously approach the body of an enemy but is just shirt enough that people can't get back to it easily from the coast.

• Thanks 1

Hi, has anyone been able to build the flagpole or is it bugged?

I've added everything but the rope, the floor is bugged so I can't see vicinity and I and can't find 'the magic pixel/spot' to attach the rope.
https://imgur.com/UwCQkzb

I'm building in the big rectangular building with double blue doors in one end, in industrial novodmitrovk you will find 7-8 of them., I'm building in the one in novaya.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Also are the devs aware of the bug in this buildings 1st floor, where you can't see vicinity when building?

Brgds Nick

Edited by my_nick_was_taken
added: when building

19 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

But what I'd really like to see as far as a change in spawning goes, is for players to spawn with a full stomach, so there isn't this silly, automatic, need to go racing around for food the second you're in the game.

Hope you was joking.

First thing would happen is people would suicide to the close spawn point then rush to dead body trying to retrieve something.

One of the most make Dayz pretty unique its exactly that if you die...you are done 95% times...you simply have to take a breath and start a new adventure...and I hope it will stay this way.

Edited by Roddis

17 hours ago, ZingZootZephyr said:

So how are people supposed to loot people they kill?

It doesn't have to happen in a split second.

16 hours ago, moeb1us said:

What? Are you crazy? Do you know how big the energy and water storage actually are? You would never even need food. Pff come on. Survival is easy as it is. The bit early struggle is a core game mechanic. FYI: getting food/water full filled white equals 4% energy and 24% drink of the total capacity. 

Edit: and thanks Derloth for digging into the infected distribution. And I want to acknowledge that three bugs mentioned here were already fixed (infected type, damage by running car, lifetime of weapon after death). Thanks devs!

The struggle for food should be a core mechanic throughout the game. Not just something that's annoying at the beginning.

As things stand, when you spawn the ONLY thing the player has on their mind is racing around looking for food so the don't starve because the stats are so low. But once you get your stats into the white, it ceases to be a concern. So, what we have is JUST an irritating obstacle at the beginning of the game.

1 hour ago, Roddis said:

Hope you was joking.

No. I'm dead serious.

At the moment, the only time that the player has to worry about food is at the beginning of their "spawn life", where it's frankly ridiculous and completely one note every time you start. But after you sort it out, it ceases to be a concern because hunting animals is so easy.

I'd like to see a better balance introduced where the player has to think of food as important and not just a minor task, once the initial silliness is done away with. I'd like to see less animal spawns, but a fuller stomach at the beginning, so that every start isn't the same mad dash around the place so you don't starve.

BTW, I am not asking for the game to be easier here. I'm asking for it to be somewhat harder.

52 minutes ago, Tonyeh said:

so that every start isn't the same mad dash around the place so you don't starve.

These are the key words in your statement I think.  I believe the idea behind the current mechanic is that you spawn in with reduced energy, so you should be conserving that energy by initially jogging and not sprinting (i.e. let go of the Shift key for now).  We live in an impatient "I want it all now" world these days though and most people aren't willing to play the game as it was intended (i.e. save your energy as a freshie until you're full white apple at least).  I personally like it as it is.

I agree on the wildlife though.  Once you find a knife, survival is a piece of cake.  It should be harder and fewer animals to eat would make it harder.

No. Even without using shift and just jogging, new spawns, especially new players are starving to death because they start off near starvation. There's an imbalance at the moment, in my view and a mechanic that disappears once the player gets over the initial irritation and finding food just becomes a meh and easy to do task.

I think there's a case to be made that the initial, overbearing and repetitive chore at the start of each player character should be changed and the abundance of foodstuff, including animals, needs to be downgraded in order to make the need for food an actual responsibility that the player needs to be aware of.

Right now, people are more afraid of getting wet than they are of hunger, once they're outside that initial race for food at first spawn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drgullen said:

I believe the idea behind the current mechanic is that you spawn in with reduced energy, so you should be conserving that energy by initially jogging and not sprinting (i.e. let go of the Shift key for now).  

My English is shit...this explain quite good my thought.

Give me initial full energy and water and my first move will be run as fast as I can toward my dead body/scene or the first military spot...all the initial/intermediate stage of the game would be gone, simply gone...

• Like 1

I do agree with @Tonyeh here, starting levels of food and water are bs. Generally speaking, since the game opted for artificial food and drink management, going hungry once full is not a problem. No one would sprint from the coast to NWA if they were at least moderately full upon spawning, because the game depletes your food and water stupidly quick. Not to mention the fact that running fresh spawned into certain PVP area is kinda counterintuitive. Fine then, the survival should not be hunger and thirst at spawn, but rather throughout the whole life. Or you know ... the game should have other survival mechanics besides food and drink 😄 and I don't mean the live or die thrill of driving. 

By the way ...

Doors  are now persistent

Thus they finally do not open and close randomly with server restart? Also, what is the default state? 

Stone Ovens are broken, can't add frying pan to them or cook items directly on the top surface.

I'm finding starting off as a freshie to be relatively easy-ish, so I'm not sure what some of you are talking about.

Edited by Masgel
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

On 8/29/2020 at 10:25 AM, Tonyeh said:

No. Even without using shift and just jogging, new spawns, especially new players are starving to death because they start off near starvation.

It's a game about the apocalypse -- some people will starve to death, yes.  If we implement what you are suggesting, nobody would starve to death.

The game requires patience which these days, most people don't have.  If you keep your hand off the Shift key to start with and make your initial primary focus be getting hydrated and energized, you should survive most of the time.

Will you starve to death?  Yes, sometimes you will.  Should you starve to death?  Yes, sometimes you should.

• Like 2
  • Beans 6

On 8/28/2020 at 6:00 PM, Parazight said:

100% disagree.  PVE is extraordinarily easy.  Need more animals and less ambient spawn food.  IMO, make Bambi life harder.  It’s not like you have anything of value to lose anyway. As it stands, you can fresh spawn and then server hop to jump further inland, also.  

I agree it should be more environmental survival then finding cans of food... but not more animals (well they need to add rabbits and snares back in), but I'd like to see more berries and mushrooms. If you're in the woods you can find berries, but so dang rare, and mushrooms, seem, most of the time are rotten. Where I'd also like to see is maybe actually force people to make the tough chose to farm some. I know I saved my life, rarely, but once creating a plot and found pumpkin seeds. If it's raining you don't even need water or fertilizer. Just create a plot, plant, go wait in a building and let the rain water the veg. Really... it's not hard to survive if people really want to but I feel most players just want a few cans, kill something for the meat then go get military gear and shoot someone. There's fishing, farming, (there needs to be more of this) foraging, and hunting. Foods there, just gotta do some work for it.

• Beans 1

I hope the new flag pole mechanic well help to keep Stone Ovens around longer. The problem I have, only one, is that I don't always use them because I'll typically go out for a big hunt, cook it all, store some of it and eat some but then I won't need to hunt for sometime. I'll take food out with me and while I'm out I'll either find cans or just fish/hunt and cook while I'm away from my base. So often by the time I come back and won't need to interact with my oven it'll disappear. Make a stone oven isn't all the easy at times. 16 large stones is a bit of work and drag to have to recreate it.

I wonder how much luck has BI had with hiring new people to help develop DayZ in general? Not to mention other outside help.

4 hours ago, drgullen said:

It's a game about the apocalypse -- some people will starve to death, yes.  If we implement what you are suggesting, nobody would starve to death.

That's not the case, because food in general will be harder to come by and hunting for it will be a necessity and if you don't hunt for it, you will starve.

I get the feeling that people here are seeing "start on a fuller stomach" and missing the rest.

I'm not saying that players should start on a fuller stomach and keep things as they currently are. I want a reduction in canned food, fizzy drinks and wildlife too. Which will, in fact, make it essential to hunt for food and stock it up...so you DON'T starve.

As it stands, the ONLY time a player may starve is at the very beginning of the game. The revisions I am talking about will make that a possibility THROUGHOUT the game.

11 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

That's not the case, because food in general will be harder to come by and hunting for it will be a necessity and if you don't hunt for it, you will starve.

I get the feeling that people here are seeing "start on a fuller stomach" and missing the rest.

I'm not saying that players should start on a fuller stomach and keep things as they currently are. I want a reduction in canned food, fizzy drinks and wildlife too. Which will, in fact, make it essential to hunt for food and stock it up...so you DON'T starve.

As it stands, the ONLY time a player may starve is at the very beginning of the game. The revisions I am talking about will make that a possibility THROUGHOUT the game.

To be fair I get the impression most players (read streamers/youtubers) only pause their running and gunning to pop a can of beans whenever the apple goes yellow, they're pretty much always starving in other words. Hence we get this constant stream of "noo food" or "I went from full stomach to dead from starvation in ten minutes waaa waaa" QQ threads. Surviving is very easy for the ones who understand the mechanic and are willing to lean into it.

I'm in the camp who wants to keep it just the way it is at spawn - I strongly disagree freshies should be allowed to have anything other than immediate base survival on their mind, keep that to modded servers - while also making it a more important factor later in the game. Reduce the amount of canned food, especially inland, and reduce the amount of domestic animals and/or make them harder to kill without ranged weapons. Change the fruit drop mechanic so it is less predictable (thinking of the way fruit is triggered by player proximity so if you have the patience to circle a town for a while you can fill your pockets.)

Edited by Derleth
  • Beans 1

have to agree with derleth on the food situation. seems just like a big ignorance against the game mechanics from many (u may think veteran) players.

food is really mostly never an issue. i would still like to see less canned food and if, maybe only at the coastal area, tier 1 (2) loot only. the fat of animals is super overpowered. maybe reduce the energy gain a bit.

just a small visual bug in 1.09 i noticed: the small wooden signs to the summer holiday camps miss their pole; making the signs like floating in air.

Edited by etwas
typo
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Derleth said:

To be fair I get the impression most players (read streamers/youtubers) only pause their running and gunning to pop a can of beans whenever the apple goes yellow, they're pretty much always starving in other words. Hence we get this constant stream of "noo food" or "I went from full stomach to dead from starvation in ten minutes waaa waaa" QQ threads. Surviving is very easy for the ones who understand the mechanic and are willing to lean into it.

I'm in the camp who wants to keep it just the way it is at spawn - I strongly disagree freshies should be allowed to have anything other than immediate base survival on their mind, keep that to modded servers - while also making it a more important factor later in the game. Reduce the amount of canned food, especially inland, and reduce the amount of domestic animals and/or make them harder to kill without ranged weapons. Change the fruit drop mechanic so it is less predictable (thinking of the way fruit is triggered by player proximity so if you have the patience to circle a town for a while you can fill your pockets.)

Except it isn't an important factor later in the game. That's the problem. I want to see hunting for food become more significant than it is. But that would facilitate a more balanced start when the player spawns.

For example, last night I stupidly killed myself with a grenade that bounced back in my direction (duh) so I had to respawn. I had about 30 minutes or so to get my shit together food wise. Once I had found a knife, matches and killed about 5 chickens, I was fully sorted and I'll never have to worry about food again.

So the only thing the mechanic does, as it currently stands, is makes things exactly the same scenario every time you start. All my stats are white now and from here on in, all I have to worry about is other players...

...or a bouncing grenade.