Greensek

DayZ in 2020

1 hour ago, isaac19delta said:

The people I see on here who want helicopters in a post apocalyptic game should either go play Arma, or find another game like BF.  The thought of helicopters in DayZ is just ridiculous and should never be implemented.  Who here can fly a helicopter in real life?  How much of that fuel are you going to find a decade or more into this type of situation?

I think you need to take a step back for a minute and realize that this is a video game and not real life.  Who here can grow a pumpkin in an hour?  Who here can carry a cooking pot in their pants pocket?  Who here can bandage multiple knife wounds on their body in mere seconds?

I won't speak for others, but personally, I'm not asking to have a bunch of military helicopters flying around, equipped with weapons that can fire missiles at towns and kill a bunch of people all at once -- I'm asking for additional forms of transportation -- a boat, a bicycle and yes, a helicopter -- a regular one, not a military one.

Helicopters should be implemented similarly to cars -- they are rare (even rarer than cars, maybe just 2 or 3 flyable helis across the entire map) and spawn without fuel and requiring a repair with an electronic repair kit perhaps.  You now have a new goal -- head off, loot those things, come back, repair the heli and you have a new way to get around the map.  I don't see what's so wrong with that.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

11 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

Take the statements about the number of people working on DayZ with a grain of salt. They have been fudging the numbers for years, including the claim that there was "an entire studio" working on AI and zombies...

That's because they did:

- https://www.pcgamer.com/dayz-developer-acquires-new-studio-to-work-on-standalone-version/

- https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/bohemia-interactive-acquires-new-studio-to-work-on-31181428/

- https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-28-dayz-sales-figures-new-studio-acquisition-revealed

- http://allinfo.space/2017/01/22/dayz-developer-buys-slovak-developer-cauldron-on/

2 hours ago, isaac19delta said:

Again, a helicopter in this game, given the situation is a waste of time and ridiculous.  After that, they will want tanks and other armor.  Then what?  There is a large enough customer base for a real survival game without bowing down to demands from these people.  I enjoy games with aircraft and armor also, that is why I own Arma.  I do not however, wish to have a bastard game where survival meets Arma.  I want them separate as do many others. 

To be fair a part of the DayZ experience has been helicopters, and it never really fell out of the immersion of it, there were ever only 2 or 3 helicopter types anyway such as the Huey, Littlebird & some civilian medium transport variation. It was more the mods such as Overpoch that militarized the hell out DayZ, they were basically Wasteland mods with added zombies. Probably a lot of people's fondest memories of DayZ have been getting a helicopter going, or more terrifyingly, being hunted down by one. The adrenaline rush of hiding from a helicopter out to get you is amazing, running through the forests as the Tracers from a Huey's mounted machine gun rains down on you. Or seeing a little bird fly hundreds of meters ahead of you to see a small group of people parachute out to intercept you. Vanilla DayZ never fell into a bastardized game, you can thank the other mods for that, and I don't expect the vast majority of people want tanks in DayZ anyway.

2 hours ago, isaac19delta said:

BI should be letting these folks finish up, test it, then pay them 10k for the work, saving them a great deal of money and adding content to the game they need.  Just not helicopters.  Save that for Arma

Should probably give this a read - https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/bj3rp5/just_want_to_clear_something_up/

Edited by Cravez

1 hour ago, isaac19delta said:

Very excited about this venture here.  BI should be letting these folks finish up, test it, then pay them 10k for the work, saving them a great deal of money and adding content to the game they need.  Just not helicopters.  Save that for Arma

We need helicopters... that's it... it was in old DayZ mod... it's gonna be in new DayZ and honestly militarized DayZ is fun... like exile if not Militarized DayZ then have some servers that are like that...

3 hours ago, isaac19delta said:

The people I see on here who want helicopters in a post apocalyptic game should either go play Arma, or find another game like BF.  The thought of helicopters in DayZ is just ridiculous and should never be implemented.  Who here can fly a helicopter in real life?  How much of that fuel are you going to find a decade or more into this type of situation?  Bikes, I can most certainly get on board with that!  Bows, of course!  But demanding a helicopter is quite frankly childish when you examine the ideas behind this game and any type of realistic approaches that breed good logic and immersion. 

You have clearly never played DayZ in it's glory, I feel for you, you missed the good times. Thanks for telling us what we should do. Very classy post calling people childish when you obliviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Edited by philbottle
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, philbottle said:

You have clearly never played DayZ in it's glory, I feel for you, you missed the good times. Thanks for telling us what we should do. Very classy post calling people childish when you obliviously have no idea what you're talking about.

My gripe with helicopters is that the map is too small, with helicopters it becomes too obvious that we are essentially trapped in a little cage - there is nowhere you can't get to in a couple of minutes. I don't doubt that assembling, maintaining and defending a helicopter would be the ultimate end-game challenge for a well established group or faction. For the lone wolf nomad they are quite pointless. I prefer a situation where everyone are landlocked, it brings a level playing field, where distance is a factor and hiding small bases is possible at least in theory. With aerial vehicles we'd need mechanics to better use cammo nets.

We will see how it goes, I seriously doubt that helicopters has been fully abandoned by the devs, but giving stability and more or less all other features priority definitely makes sense. In the meantime we'll see what the Expansion crew can achieve.

For vehicles, I am much more eager to see bikes/motorbikes as well as the V3S truck make it into the game. The truck was supposed to be in 1.0 - heck even the parts were spawning - but never actually made it. Since then it's been over a year and we've seen three other cars added but still no truck. Waiting for the physics to be stabilised?

• Like 2

I want helis in only if they implement something like the Mi-8 in DCS. So that not every munchkin with a gamepad can fly it, but it actually requires a pilot.

In fact we should have mi-8 and UH-1 so that each time the helicopter crashes,that will create the heli crash site 🙂

While it is true that the map is quite small for a heli, it is offset by the fact that you cannot land it anywhere on the map and you will want to avoid some areas as the helicopter is quite vulnerable. So while movement is not restricted, actual deployment is. 

State of helicopters should actually be the equivalent of worn or damaged at worst, in any case flyable without much effort besides the pilot skill requirement. They would be well maintained and stored. Just remove all covers and fuel it up 

• Like 1

Ok after reading Sumraks Namalsk devblog for January I think we finally will get a proper character status/health gameplay this year. This changes will, as far as I understand, be made by Sumrak himself so that he also will then be able to progress with Namalsk ( which is honestly the only thing that keeps me interested ). This is really good news...

Whatever happend to the bus?! 

I think the bus and being able to upgrade the bus (metal sheeting, pikes etc) is endgame material enough.

I never like/ liked the heli's in a game like this. A one seater without weapons or armor is fine by me. But a squad in the air? Bf pilots?

Have you played bf2? Let me Just say; Blackhawk

A heli has nothing to add to immersion Just frustration. 

11 hours ago, McWendy said:

Whatever happend to the bus?! 

I think the bus and being able to upgrade the bus (metal sheeting, pikes etc) is endgame material enough.

I never like/ liked the heli's in a game like this. A one seater without weapons or armor is fine by me. But a squad in the air? Bf pilots?

Have you played bf2? Let me Just say; Blackhawk

A heli has nothing to add to immersion Just frustration. 

dunno when officially but will be in DayZ Expansion... just probably without armoring with sheet metal and stuff... you will get a squad of 30 coming out of those lol 

There's no reason to put helicopters in DayZ.   I would only guess that Bohemia would be interested in putting helis in Arma 4 and make it a selling point to attract consumers.  Honestly, helicopters are completely unauthentic in DayZ.  Real helicopter maintenance is no joke.  Anyone interested in survival would not attempt to fly some ramshackle helicopter maintained during an apocalypse.  And the refined fuel for it?  You cant make that stuff without modern technology.  Almost as ridiculous as Kuru/Prion disease mechanic.  And growing full pumpkins in 10 minutes.

I'm not getting excited whatsoever for helicopters in the DayZ Expansion mod.  I will be shocked if it ever comes to fruition.    Even if it does, if it isn't officially supported (never gonna happen) then it's a ton of work for very little return.

For 2020, let's hope they focus on obtainable goals for players that don't need thousands of hours of experience to reach the endgame.  Tanning, Bows, Crossbows, and other basic survival gear that make sense might be way more profitable.  More realistic time-sinks, please.   I really hope they do great things with DayZ but the evidence that shows us the rate of progression on the title indicates that there's only a handful of people working on the title now.  Let's be realistic and not overly ambitious.(?)

• Beans 3

36 minutes ago, Parazight said:

There's no reason to put helicopters in DayZ.   I would only guess that Bohemia would be interested in putting helis in Arma 4 and make it a selling point to attract consumers.  Honestly, helicopters are completely unauthentic in DayZ.  Real helicopter maintenance is no joke.  Anyone interested in survival would not attempt to fly some ramshackle helicopter maintained during an apocalypse.  And the refined fuel for it?  You cant make that stuff without modern technology.  Almost as ridiculous as Kuru/Prion disease mechanic.  And growing full pumpkins in 10 minutes.

I'm not getting excited whatsoever for helicopters in the DayZ Expansion mod.  I will be shocked if it ever comes to fruition.    Even if it does, if it isn't officially supported (never gonna happen) then it's a ton of work for very little return.

For 2020, let's hope they focus on obtainable goals for players that don't need thousands of hours of experience to reach the endgame.  Tanning, Bows, Crossbows, and other basic survival gear that make sense might be way more profitable.  More realistic time-sinks, please.   I really hope they do great things with DayZ but the evidence that shows us the rate of progression on the title indicates that there's only a handful of people working on the title now.  Let's be realistic and not overly ambitious.(?)

Agreed. Once those are back, the tiring focus on guns and gunplay can be brought down a notch or two. Official servers are mostly unplayable for me and have been so for a long, long time. Getting geared is just too quick, which makes survival an objective that few players really care about. With no fear of death there is little incentive to work on survival, hence the get-gunz-shoot-die-respawn-repeat loop. Which is boring. If I wanted to play PUBG I'd play that. I totally get that many players like that - that's why we have modding - but I dearly hope vanilla DayZ will soon move back properly towards the slower paced survival sandbox it was when I started playing. 0.62 was broken in so many ways, but pace and gameplay balance was near perfect.

Sadly, when 0.63 hit experimental the game took a huge leap down a more arcadey road. By appearances not intentionally, it just happened because so many systems were simply not finished but they had to get 0.63 out anyway, and now parts of the playerbase are firmly accustomed to the arcadey survival. So the devs need to be careful when rolling out rebalancing towards survival gameplay, or folks will cry bloody murder. (They still do, as easy as it is to survive there are plenty of no loot/noo food threads.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PoweredByte said:

https://imgur.com/a/zVIjzZL

Theres your Helicopter 🙂

That's not a helicopter.  That is a picture of a helicopter.  A helicopter is something that has gone through playtesting, is live on the official servers, is supported by paid staff, and the bugs have been worked out.  If you can't check off each of these things then what you have is a waste of effort working on something that wont gain momentum. 

Once you start adding your own toppings, it is no longer a legitimate McDonald's hamburger.

Related, it would probably behoove BI to do what Blizzard has done.  And that is to take popular mods, consider them, and then implement them.  WoW has been turning mod ideas into official code and it has been successful.  Will Bohemia do this?  Doubtful.  BI has always done what they wanted to do without giving two shits what other people think, to their own benefit/misfortune.

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 1

so I never really felt the helicopter and the small plane important.

Especially when choosing a heli with the MH6 Littlebird.

It does not fit at all into the setting.

The airplanes would also hardly be usefully applicable, with only 3 runways, of which 2 of them are already pvp hotspots.

Much rather I wish for better survival mechanics, more detailed behaviour when assembling the car (the already in the game existing V-belt, car windows, engine oil, brake fluid), the use of the wheel wrench to mount / dismount wheels.

Finally finish the small items, like walky-talky, lighter, butane bottle to refill.

It would also be nice if food can spoil (fruit and opened cans) then the refrigerator has to be finished, which can be connected to the power generator or car battery to extend the shelf life.

We finally need the truck for larger groups, mopets or bikes for solo players.

Bows for silent hunting in the wilderness.

Shot animals should not be such good prey anymore (e.g. 10 to 50% of meat)

I want locked doors to remain locked even after the server restart!

The possibility to search the furniture in the houses (drawers, kitchen cabinets, refrigerators, wardrobes)

And I want Ragdoll back!

This 'board falls around animation' is a pain in the ass!

Then it would still be desirable to have weapon parts finished, like the front handle, the bipod, IR laser pointer etc...

There are so many items in the game, which are currently not usable at all, like the spray cans...

Let's get that into the game, helicopters and airplanes are so insignificant.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Beans 2

B.I. OVER-COMPLICATED THE GAME.

YOU ADDED WAY TOO MANY UNNECESSARY THINGS. 

YOU FAILED TO ALLOW PRIVATE SERVERS FOR TOO LONG, YOU KILLED THE DAYZ MOD COMMUNITY AS SOON AS STANDALONE WAS RELEASED, THIS HURT MANY MANY COMMUNITIES THAT MADE DAYZ GROW FROM NOTHING. 

8 YEARS AGO WE WERE PLAYING DAYZ. (DAYZ MOD). 8 YEARS.

8 YEARS AGO WE WERE FLYING CHOPPERS, DRIVING ROUND CHERNARUS, BUILDING BASES, AND HAVING FUN WITH GROUPS OF FRIENDS, ON 80 MAN SERVERS. 

WE HAD CUSTOM LOADOUTS, WEAPON LISTS, VEHICLES, STRUCTURES, ETC, 8 YEARS AGO. 

YOU HAVE OVER-COMPLICATED THE GAME AND TURNED IT INTO SOME STUPIDLY COMPLEX SURVIVAL GAME WITH MANY FEATURES THAT ARE SIMPLY BROKEN. 

IT IS SUCH A SHAME, BECAUSE MY COMMUNITY AND I LOVED DAYZ, AND YOU KILLED IT. IT COULD HAVE BEEN A HOME RUN CASH-COW, BUT YOU OVER-COMPLICATED IT, INSTEAD OF JUST FIXING BUGS AND MAKING IMPROVEMENTS. 

SINCERELY, 

PANDA

FOUNDER OF THE LARGEST DAYZ-MOD PRIVATE HIVE COMMUNITY IN DAYZ HISTORY

forums.dayz.com/topic/98174-free-dayz-standalone-teamspeak-3718719575-zombieworldeu-sa-server-is-up/

Edited by U.G.N - Jedi Panda
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 4:35 PM, Greensek said:

This year, the development will focus on stability, bug fixing, and gameplay improvements, along with some new small-scale content.

Does this include: trucks, buses, music, books and broken bones?

You know, all the missing fun stuff that you keep teasing with in trailers and posts on twitter for the past 4 months ? 

Edited by Tarkules

Wow so 2020 is all about bug Fixing and adding things you’ve removed ? Broken limbs ? Really ? This game is so far from what it’s supposed to be , what we all gave money to in 2013 to see come true.

list of things still crucial to be added to dayz that hasn’t been mentioned in months if not years :

soft skill system (You scrubs are just gonna put in the icons and not the actual feature ? Ok buddy !)

contaminated zones - talked about over 2 years ago , but never again

helicopters / aerial vehicles 

2 wheeled vehicles 

barricading

zombie hordes for actual Pve instead of dying to glitches .

Overall dayz has been a great disappointment over The last two years in terms of promised content that will make the game so much more deep. If you vouch for dayz in its current state as being a full game you are either so obsessed with the idea of dayz that you can’t look past your own hand , or you are addicted to the PvP - the only thing that’s solid in this game .  

Add the damn features you roadmapped YEARS ago and STOP bug fixing until you have all the goddamn features in the game .... you people have already forgotten how SHORT beta phase was And that’s not acceptable seeing as we are basically STILL In beta phase . Might as well go back to alpha so the development makes sense .

alpha = add all features 

beta = fix all features 

1.0+ = all features should be in and fixed , and some small updates should be applied weekly.

You dayz devs have blurred the lines of development phases far too much , and now you have a brainwashed player base willing to play a game that’s exactly the same game it was 2 years ago in alpha . Go ahead and add all the guns you want , this game will be a fraction of what it should be without soft skills , hordes , aerial vehicles etc .

At this point escape from Tarkov has more interesting features and it’s not even a full open world game XD 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

some team members moved to work fully on it last June, leaving DayZ with a much smaller development team consisting of seasoned developers across various departments.

it takes 4 month for you to fix all inventory issues in 1.06 - do you think it is normal? Dayz dev team NEED MORE team members. You can't handle all the bugs well.

After my every game session - I spend hours on feedback tracker to write new bug reports with new bugs I have encountered in this game session. This is not acceptable

You cant fix light issue for 8 month, Carl!! (light goes throw walls on distanse https://feedback.bistudio.com/T141577).

In dayz2020 there are ton of missing  sounds bugs which can be fixed in few hours, but you can't fixed them for month!!!: Even if you filling cooking pot or bottle with water from pumps - there are no sound https://feedback.bistudio.com/T142445 , Machete missing sound when skin and quarter animal. -https://feedback.bistudio.com/T142481

All game map is bugged too: in night time you can see texture joints every 20-50m on every road in Chernorus and Livonia https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146575

even every lake and river in this game are bugged too! https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146388

What about cars - if you hit something on 20km/h - your will bounce and you will die

How can you fix all of this with such a small team?

And what about cheatters? No answers to any cheatter encouter report on  feedback tracker! Do you mange to ban them? Are you planinng to hunt down cheatters or what? Please, tell us! Because right now  on youtube I can see the same cheatters playing for month on official servers without bans

And what about closed rooms in buildings? are you planning to open them?

And what about animations for different actions like repairing, making rags etc? are you planing to add more animationg in the game?

And right now stones are the most rare items in the game: You can't find them on the sea coast and on railway where they supposed to be thousands. You can find them only on the tourist roads if you get lucky. So all freashspawns can't open Canned Food. Give back stone knife at start then!

Edited by blackburnrus
  • Like 3

I really don't understand this.. just flabbergasted..

Not a word about spawning system?
Its the worst spawning system you can imagine.. I want to play with friends, and I keep getting spawned on opposite sides of the map. 

I either die of starvation. Or I get killed. Or I get spawned repositioned on the northpole.

Its become absolutely not FUN anymore. Its just annoying. buggy. and frustrating. A game should be challenging. not frustrating and tiresome and repetitive, laggy and buggy.

Why is there no way to set a spawnpoint next to a friend. Make it temporary, destructable, whatever! Until this is sorted, I'm out.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Freud was a stoner said:

Its the worst spawning system you can imagine.. I want to play with friends, and I keep getting spawned on opposite sides of the map. 

I either die of starvation. Or I get killed. Or I get spawned repositioned on the northpole.

Its become absolutely not FUN anymore. Its just annoying. buggy. and frustrating. A game should be challenging. not frustrating and tiresome and repetitive, laggy and buggy.

Why is there no way to set a spawnpoint next to a friend. Make it temporary, destructable, whatever! Until this is sorted, I'm out.

Never has been and never will be, creates unfair advantages.

1 hour ago, Freud was a stoner said:

This is the official description of the game:

"DayZ is an unforgiving, authentic, open world sandbox online game where each one of 60 players on a server follows a single goal - to survive as long as they can, by all means necessary. There are no superficial tips, waypoints, built-in tutorials or help given to you. Every decision matters - with no save games, and no extra lives, every mistake can be lethal. If you fail, you lose everything and start over."

This was always the way it was, and I, for one, will be really upset if it changes.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 2

Thats cause everyone is stuck on stupid ass easy mode where everything is explained out to you every step of the way and you can join some match search out your people an instantly be in the same place...

Well kiddies this isnt that game.

Dont get me wrong if consoles ever get even nearly as much modding as pc then stuff like that is possible and makes sense for those specific servers and play styles...

Even with extra loot and shit the base game how it is now(for consoles)is not meant for all that make it easy for you crap. 

I guess if easy mode is what you are searching for go ahead an wait long enough maybe consoles will get there. If not better bring yo ass to pc cause thats currently the only place your truely getting that...

Edited by Luves 12

Why have you move the team over to Arma4? Ive PAID for DayZ and its still a mess on both console and PC. The new server provider for consoles are trash too, lag lag lag. Just because your team has left you doesnt mean you stop building the game. Employ more people and finish the game ive ALREADY PAID for. Wake up, you are not in the preview program anymore we all expect and deserve more

• Beans 1