Greensek

DayZ in 2020

The games great but on console at least the guns aren’t so ready available I haven’t found an m4 since the .63 update 

This article reminds me of the more recent Arma 3 report-ins. 

"Menpower shifting to other projects"

"Nothing big coming, small-scale content, etc."

Except Arma 3 looks back at a long and proud history full of content, DLCs, inoumerous updates, developer dedication and a support that really deserves to be called "post-release support". DayZ can not look back to that, it can't even look back to a complete release.

This is why this article is so frustrating for me personally.

Edited by Undeceived
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

It should also be recalled that dayz is the best selling game of Bohemia Interactive. Considering this, such disdain from this company towards dayz is even more distasteful. From the beginning the higher-ups of BI never believed in the potential of dayz.

1 hour ago, juggernaut9631 said:

they are out of money (look at livonia dlc recycled a3 map)

No way they are out of money. They have probably made tons of it from consoles sales and arma 3 and dayz dlcs.

• Beans 1

3 minutes ago, Gadget_97 said:

No way they are out of money. They have probably made tons of it from consoles sales and arma 3 and dayz dlcs.

keep arma 3 out of this its about dayz BI as company isnt out of money however dayz money bag is empty dayz on consoles isnt THAT big so they didnt make much not enough at least to keep development going for years to come

1 hour ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

it is a sad day for me to read the 2020 roadmap andnot see the word bow anywhere.  craftable weapons are a favorite of mine and all we have now is a stone knife

im so dissapointed

I have to admit first Read of greenseks post i scanned Just for bow information.

I was disappointed....

• Beans 1

41 minutes ago, juggernaut9631 said:

keep arma 3 out of this its about dayz BI as company isnt out of money however dayz money bag is empty dayz on consoles isnt THAT big so they didnt make much not enough at least to keep development going for years to come

Dayz funded many projects at BI including their new engine. Therefore, even if dayz didn't make a lot of money in 2019 (how do you know ?), they could use some of the arma 3 money to help dayz's "post-release support" and keep some of their promises. 

Edited by Gadget_97

It's disappointing that there is no sense of commitment on their part as in they say "we intend" to put broken bones in, instead of committing to do it.

On the other hand, I guess the way to look at this is "something is better than nothing".  We're apparently going to get 5 updates this year, more bug fixing and balancing and some new content as well -- so it sounds like close to a repeat of 2019, but perhaps with updates that are not quite as juicy as we'd like. 

It wasn't much of a roadmap, though -- I'd still like to know what's coming around the bend.  Will we ever get helis?  Bicycles?  Bows?  Will development continue into 2021?  Why can't you lay all these things out for us?  I know in the past, we've been told that ".62 parity" will not be possible, but you're clearly still trying to add some things back, so an updated 2020 list of things to come would be appreciated.

• Beans 4

3 minutes ago, drgullen said:

62 parity

They said we would have .62 parity, then later they said we wouldn't get 62 parity.

Most other games are done once you play them.

Dayz has no end at least not by the players, but only by BI pulling the plug by fuxing it up. 

This 2020 Roadmap post by BI is depressing. The lack of energy, want, or wherewithall to update fans AND then follow through on DayZ's behalf is striking. I clicked the link hoping to hear about the amazing future planned for DayZ this year, instead I got a meek kick to the nuts. I've been around since day one, and generally believed that the game would eventually come full circle. This 2020 Roadmap tells me that the task is too big for BI, and that makes me pessimistic about the games' future.

I'm actually surprised no other AAA developer with more chops, $$, and a truly modern engine, hasn't grabbed the DayZ potential ball and ran with it. Not bashing the hard work being done past, present, and future. I hope they have professional pride AND the company support to follow through.

This 2020 Roadmap post just makes me sad.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

First off, congrats to Sumrak for the promotion. It puts me at ease knowing the lead of the project will truly turn this game more towards survival and is a passionate fan of the game. The dude loves survival games like The Long Dark which I know he'll use for inspiration to better PvE/Survival in this game. It is sad that the dev team has been cut to post-release support levels when this game clearly isn't on that phase yet. This reality is a kick in the gut for us that truly love DayZ, because this thing is my dream game. Knowing that it won't live up to its true potential is pretty disheartening.

I won't bring up the obvious things missing here, but I'm pretty disappointed that there's no mention of improving infected in general. I'm not talking about simply crunking up their spawn values, but making them an actual threat in this game. This is what I've been waiting for, ever since the announcement for DayZ Standalone 7 years ago. Infected being an actual threat will change the feel of this game significantly compared to other survival features/polishing and with the team being this limited in numbers, we're looking for "bang for your buck" changes.

What needs to be tweaked? Well, we need to take away the easy way outs against infected.

1. Jumping on top of low hanging objects gives you an instant safe space from infected. Infected should be able to follow you on top of car roofs, dumpsters, low walls, sand crates(?) etc. If improving their climbing AI is too much of a task, give them an upwards swinging attack.

2. Not every building should be an instant safe space from infected. If giving them the ability to break down doors is too much of a task, randomize doors or change certain structures so that some of them have busted doors that can't be opened/closed. 

3. Make the initial scream when infected spot you attract other infected from a slightly larger distance. That initial scream is so loud but infected that are only a few feet away don't even bat an eye. The huge spawn radiuses set in the zombie territories file don't help either. The community already knows that hordes and more infected in general isn't a possibility with how server performance is, this will at least make them a threat even with the current low numbers coupled with the tweaks in this list. It will also put more emphasis into sneaky gameplay, utilize sneak 1 shot kills, throwing distractions etc. Makes for more tactical gameplay when dealing with zeds.

All I want is for infected to become somewhat of a threat, right now they are just an annoyance. My main gripe with the game was how little zombies actually impacted the game or influenced your gameplay. The devs have given us the tools to handle them in the last few patches, zombie dispersion upon losing visual, 1 hit sneak attacks, melee attacks using firearms and throwing to distract infected. We can handle them being tough. 

• Beans 3

In one report, we were told the team was staying the same size during 2019. But in the new report, we were told the team was reduced in size ("much smaller") in June 2019.

From "Status Report 6 November 2018":

"Is there any team restructuring going on after the 1.0 release? Are DayZ developers going to be assigned to other teams at Bohemia?"
"No, we are keeping the same resources as we had this year for the year ahead. To be precise, it's 86 people working on DayZ right now."

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/240625-status-report-6-november-2018/

From this post:

" ... some team members moved to work fully on [Enfusion technology] last June, leaving DayZ with a much smaller development team consisting of seasoned developers across various departments. While this change has obviously affected the overall development ..."

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 6:26 PM, Undeceived said:

I'm sorry but "post-release support" just feels out of place and totally wrong. Instead I'd say that you're still completing the release.

With that said it's really sad to see the priority (ressources) going elsewhere. This is really disappointing and feels like a partly abandonment - certainly not full commitment as it should be (remembering the promises and seeing what is still missing in the game). Instead we read about intentions, like if you aren't sure you can do it. So you try to reduce the expectations.

Sorry to say that, but as a die-hard BI fanboy since OFP this report just feels frustrating...

EDIT:

I hope that you prove me wrong, but seeing the facts you write (ressource shifting + "small scale content") I feel pessimistic. How long shall your customers wait for the game to be complete?

well they are not abandoning the game they are moving to work on an engine that DayZ uses so that probably means multi core server support... so the server will use all cores instead of only 1... this will solve all problems DayZ has... especially the flying car problem... this will also allow for massive boost in Zombie/Infected count... also just because they are less devs doesn't mean less stuff... from the status report i can tell we're getting same amount of stuff and updates from previous year... well maybe 1 less update but still... almost same amount of updates and same sized if not bigger... i bet they are adding broken limbs with actual animations and other cool stuff rather then just being locked into crawling / prone stance... that is a big undertaking it sounds simple but it's kinda not

20 hours ago, repzaj1234 said:

First off, congrats to Sumrak for the promotion. It puts me at ease knowing the lead of the project will truly turn this game more towards survival and is a passionate fan of the game. The dude loves survival games like The Long Dark which I know he'll use for inspiration to better PvE/Survival in this game. It is sad that the dev team has been cut to post-release support levels when this game clearly isn't on that phase yet. This reality is a kick in the gut for us that truly love DayZ, because this thing is my dream game. Knowing that it won't live up to its true potential is pretty disheartening.

I won't bring up the obvious things missing here, but I'm pretty disappointed that there's no mention of improving infected in general. I'm not talking about simply crunking up their spawn values, but making them an actual threat in this game. This is what I've been waiting for, ever since the announcement for DayZ Standalone 7 years ago. Infected being an actual threat will change the feel of this game significantly compared to other survival features/polishing and with the team being this limited in numbers, we're looking for "bang for your buck" changes.

What needs to be tweaked? Well, we need to take away the easy way outs against infected.

1. Jumping on top of low hanging objects gives you an instant safe space from infected. Infected should be able to follow you on top of car roofs, dumpsters, low walls, sand crates(?) etc. If improving their climbing AI is too much of a task, give them an upwards swinging attack.

2. Not every building should be an instant safe space from infected. If giving them the ability to break down doors is too much of a task, randomize doors or change certain structures so that some of them have busted doors that can't be opened/closed. 

3. Make the initial scream when infected spot you attract other infected from a slightly larger distance. That initial scream is so loud but infected that are only a few feet away don't even bat an eye. The huge spawn radiuses set in the zombie territories file don't help either. The community already knows that hordes and more infected in general isn't a possibility with how server performance is, this will at least make them a threat even with the current low numbers coupled with the tweaks in this list. It will also put more emphasis into sneaky gameplay, utilize sneak 1 shot kills, throwing distractions etc. Makes for more tactical gameplay when dealing with zeds.

All I want is for infected to become somewhat of a threat, right now they are just an annoyance. My main gripe with the game was how little zombies actually impacted the game or influenced your gameplay. The devs have given us the tools to handle them in the last few patches, zombie dispersion upon losing visual, 1 hit sneak attacks, melee attacks using firearms and throwing to distract infected. We can handle them being tough. 

Well first off... You're right about Sumrak... he's a nice guy and he will make DayZ better... those enviromental exposure stuff he's talking about... that's mostly/mainly for his Winter/Frozen map Namalsk which i would kinda recommend putting up as a DLC for 5 euros... that's gonna make like ridiculous amount of money... yea this is bad and against what Sumrak wants but i think it's a great decision because that money can be used to fund DayZ development... this is only an idea... this is up to Sumrak to decide... it's both bad and good soo... idk.. 
Also throwing distractions for zombie that's already in the game buddy 🙂 from what i know.. try it... it kinda doesn't matter because it's easy to kill zombies but still it's there and it's working probably fine...

3 hours ago, -Gews- said:

In one report, we were told the team was staying the same size during 2019. But in the new report, we were told the team was reduced in size ("much smaller") in June 2019.

From "Status Report 6 November 2018":

"Is there any team restructuring going on after the 1.0 release? Are DayZ developers going to be assigned to other teams at Bohemia?"
"No, we are keeping the same resources as we had this year for the year ahead. To be precise, it's 86 people working on DayZ right now."

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/240625-status-report-6-november-2018/

From this post:

" ... some team members moved to work fully on [Enfusion technology] last June, leaving DayZ with a much smaller development team consisting of seasoned developers across various departments. While this change has obviously affected the overall development ..."

They said they are keeping same resources they had in 2018 for the year 2019... not 2020 😛 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KajMak64Bit2 said:

They said they are keeping same resources they had in 2018 for the year 2019... not 2020 😛 

Yes, but in this 2020 status report they said the team was "much smaller" since June 2019, when team members were moved to work on Enfusion. So they only kept the same team size for five months of 2019.

• Beans 2

Unbelievable that people can still white knight this shit.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KajMak64Bit2 said:

well they are not abandoning the game they are moving to work on an engine that DayZ uses so that probably means multi core server support... so the server will use all cores instead of only 1... this will solve all problems DayZ has... especially the flying car problem... this will also allow for massive boost in Zombie/Infected count...

Dayz is only using parts of the new engine they are working on. Therefore it is doubtful we have this multi core server support (they would probably talk about it if something this big was planned).

also just because they are less devs doesn't mean less stuff... (...) almost same amount of updates and same sized if not bigger...

They very clearly state the opposite. 

(...) leaving DayZ with a much smaller development team consisting of seasoned developers across various departments. While this change has obviously affected the overall development, make no mistake, the team is full of passionate people who want to make DayZ the best game it can be with the time and resources available.

Overall, you're not making any sense at all.

• Beans 1

3 hours ago, Gadget_97 said:

Dayz is only using parts of the new engine they are working on. Therefore it is doubtful we have this multi core server support (they would probably talk about it if something this big was planned).

They very clearly state the opposite. 

Overall, you're not making any sense at all.

It makes perfect sense to me... They say less content and smaller updates.. But from what i see what we got in this update and what is planned for other updates it's really looks like same size as before so literally no change in updates even tho they say they will be smaller... Like wtf dude? 

5 hours ago, IMT said:

Unbelievable that people can still white knight this shit.

Seen ridiculous examples of such on the subreddit as of late. 👀

1 hour ago, KajMak64Bit2 said:

They say less content and smaller updates.. But from what i see what we got in this update and what is planned for other updates it's really looks like same size as before

Same size as before ? The 1.07 experimental only introduces one new weapon, 2 ammunition and amusement park locations as content. With the old team still here, we would get a lot more.

1 hour ago, Gadget_97 said:

Same size as before ? The 1.07 experimental only introduces one new weapon, 2 ammunition and amusement park locations as content. With the old team still here, we would get a lot more.

just go look at 1.05... at first it was small... later during Experimental they fixed the gunshot sound bug... prolonged dead body timer... those are huge game changers... 1.07 is only on experimental it's in initial update... maybe by the time stable comes they will add a magnum and that's a maybe and logically speaking it's very likely they will add it before stable... or when it releases to stable they are gonna add it in that stable update.. or they will add it but not say it in the patch notes as a suprise 😄 

17 hours ago, KajMak64Bit2 said:

for his Winter/Frozen map Namalsk which i would kinda recommend putting up as a DLC for 5 euros... that's gonna make like ridiculous amount of money... yea this is bad and against what Sumrak wants but i think it's a great decision because that money can be used to fund DayZ development... this is only an idea...

How about delivering stuff like helicopters, bicycles and the missing .62 features before asking for even more money?

I would gladly pay for DLCs - but not unless the features that should have been ready for 1.0 are done...

Okay so I know theirs an issue with base building and base raiding and ima start off with base building.

Base building is a good major key factor to the game and for us console players sometimes it’s really hard to build were you want to build I feel like their should be an advance building system and also you should be able to to stack walls on top of walls even doe the surface is not flat. 

Base Raiding is another major key factor to the game and I feel like a lot of players who grind out the game a lot and  love building bases/check points/vaults Feel like base raiding is too easy on console you can be able to get thru 4-8 layers of walls in less than 8 minutes. which I feel like each wall should be around 20 minutes or more and maybe you guys should start thinking of adding breaching charges And should be found only in helicopter crash sites. Probably even do air drop system to keep the game more active. 

6 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Seen ridiculous examples of such on the subreddit as of late. 👀

Saw that as well. The worst place is Twitter though. There are people who will scream "Yaay! Good job devs" if they strip all features from the game.

Look I've got 930 something hours invested here. Not nearly as many as some of you do but.. I am let down. I am just bummed out I guess is all I can say. Half of the list of promises that were made to us were broken or pushed off like they didn't matter. Yay broken bones.. Yay more diseases. What about a bicycle or air vehicles or bows or adding back in the things that were taken out in the beginning?  I know map changes and vehicles are two different departments here but we still don't have vehicles that are reliable physics wise.. I just don't get it. I guess I don't understand the logic that's in place here with adding new amusement parks that I have never seen asked for versus fixing inventory (i'm hoping this is the fix that was talked about on exp) or vehicles. Or any multitudes of hundreds of things that were asked for over these things that weren't. 

I am not trying to gripe and complain here or have this team feel like all hope is lost but if you would LISTEN TO YOUR LOYAL Players. Take our thoughts and requests into consideration. AND please  Don't dumb this game down. This game was meant to be hard. This game is the one I played the most. The one I would go to when I've had a hard day at work. And I fell in love with it the first time I fired up the mod. Now I weigh my options and I hate that.

I just want to add. I think most of us who bought the game before 1.0 bought the game based on dev blogs or updates and promises that were made about development. In a way I feel like we are all investors into this game. Maybe Im completely off base here but I feel like I was lied to just to get me and others to buy into this end all be all game of all games.

Edited by Masprotech
words