Greensek

Stable Update 1.06

So tonight I was following a bear down the hill when a pack of wolves started howling behind me. I was perfectly sure that the bear won't attack me if I don't hit it first, and I also didn't want to lose track of it, so I simply turned around and started to take care of the wolves with a Saiga. Much to my huge, huge surprise, the bear climbed up the hill and made short work of me (KOed with one massive hit from behind).

So what happened here? Bears don't like nearby shootouts all of a sudden? The distance to it was some 30m, maybe less. I was completely sure that I have nothing to worry about until the first scratch to the bear (which didn't happen, the wolves attacked from the opposite side, so it must have been that I disturbed the bear).

Lesson learnt, don't get caught between a pack of wolves and an angry bear.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:11 PM, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I'm quite sure that the soft skills do work (I was definitely using less kits and tapes when closer to the left), it's the reset problem. I've update the above bug ticket and asked them to look into this issue.

I agree that soft skills have all the reasons to affect the game significantly, if implemented thoughtfully and without bugs. Unfortunately, the current design not only doesn't work but prevents us from deeper discussions about how the skills behave and what we can expect from them. Literally the best opinion I've heard so far was 'who cares, they don't matter anyway'.

Soft skills are total waste.  Even if it was bug free.  If you tape/fix hundreds of items and then chop hundreds of trees the slider will be in the exact same place as when you were a new spawn.   The logic behind the slider is asinine.

If you saw enough planks at a lumber pile it will move to the right.  At 3/4 of the way to the right you will notice that each 'saw' will yield additional planks.  For a while, during 1.05, it was giving an extra wooden log when a tree got chopped down.  This is potentially huge.  

I like that the developers recognize that soft skills shouldn't affect combat, but the implementation, design, and follow through are atrocious.

• Like 1

Hi!

The dev team is well aware of the inventory issues, we will release a fix once it's ready.

We know how frustrating this is and we want to find a solution asap, but sometimes things like this take longer than what people expect.

The dev team is working hard on the inventory bugs since they were first reported and I'm very positive we will have a fix for it very soon.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 2

Mags not ejecting, not picking up from the ground and not loading with ammo until your relog is a way more pressing issue than the inconvenience of having to put things into hands for the inventory bug workaround (at least it has a workaround!). Hopefully it's gonna be fixed too.

1 hour ago, hleVqq said:

Mags not ejecting, not picking up from the ground and not loading with ammo until your relog is a way more pressing issue than the inconvenience of having to put things into hands for the inventory bug workaround (at least it has a workaround!). Hopefully it's gonna be fixed too.

Is probably related. If there is no "space" in your inventory, the ejecting mag cant be placed nowhere, therefore it is stuck. It always works if you drop it from weapon directly to the ground. Thats why this is probably the same issue. The same goes with "not picking up from the ground" - also this is probably related to the fact, that the inventory space does have an issue thinking its "full" while its not.

2 hours ago, Greensek said:

Hi!

The dev team is well aware of the inventory issues, we will release a fix once it's ready.

We know how frustrating this is and we want to find a solution asap, but sometimes things like this take longer than what people expect.

The dev team is working hard on the inventory bugs since they were first reported and I'm very positive we will have a fix for it very soon.

Thank you for the info. If I may suggest, keep a log of at least the most pressing issues being worked on in the patch notes. It may seem like redundancy but the questions do repeat. I think after years, this community is fine with waiting but regular updates, even if it means saying it's still in progress, do make all the difference. 

To the guy talking about cars being limited to server performance;

you could not be more right

why do dayz servers only run on a single core

Edited by TheRealLeetbus

On 1/15/2020 at 1:06 AM, Kirov (DayZ) said:

So tonight I was following a bear down the hill when a pack of wolves started howling behind me. I was perfectly sure that the bear won't attack me if I don't hit it first, and I also didn't want to lose track of it, so I simply turned around and started to take care of the wolves with a Saiga. Much to my huge, huge surprise, the bear climbed up the hill and made short work of me (KOed with one massive hit from behind).

So what happened here? Bears don't like nearby shootouts all of a sudden? The distance to it was some 30m, maybe less. I was completely sure that I have nothing to worry about until the first scratch to the bear (which didn't happen, the wolves attacked from the opposite side, so it must have been that I disturbed the bear).

Lesson learnt, don't get caught between a pack of wolves and an angry bear.

Yeah, from what I have learned (by dying more than once) bears are aggroed either by attacking them or by making noise when near the bear, so it notices you. They basically work like deer/boars, but instead of bolting when spotting a player, they charge. The bear you had been tracking heard the commotion when you started shooting wolves and decided you were an insult in the eyes of the Bear Deity. End of story.

• Haha 3

I hope that clouds is just temporary and there is something better coming... And remove personal night Light. 

Maybe only if you are walking or standing still there could be some sort night Light with fade in/out effect To simulate your eyes night vision. 

Edited by kopo79
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, kopo79 said:

Maybe only if you are walking or standing still there could be some sort night Light with fade in/out effect To simulate your eyes night vision. 

Proper HDR would be nice indeed. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 8:48 AM, William Sternritter said:

Proper HDR would be nice indeed. 

Yeah, as long as it is properly implemented. Not as the current night light that is basically an invisible chemlight above the character's head, giving reflective textures a sickly glow in the dark. Looks absolutely awful, especially when you're using another light source and can see the corpselight glow beyond the reach of your actual light source. Incredibly shoddy implementation. I can't believe it was actually allowed to go live, let alone remains in the game after almost a year.

Edited by Derleth
  • Beans 1

6 hours ago, Derleth said:

Yeah, as long as it is properly implemented. Not as the current night light that is basically an invisible chemlight above the character's head, giving reflective textures a sickly glow in the dark. Looks absolutely awful, especially when you're using another light source and can see the corpeslight glow beyond the reach of your actual light source. Incredibly shoddy implementation. I can't believe it was actually allowed to go live, let alone remains in the game after almost a year.

With the night light and sudden ambient sound cuts I feel like playing a game from early 2000s again. DayZ can be really terrible in its presentation and yeah, you have to question the sanity of whoever came up with it and implemented it.

Edited by William Sternritter

@ImpulZ Hi. There is a need to pay attention to these tickets with a common problem.

1. Respawn loot. Often the loot is in the textures of static objects. The lot is often visible visually, but has no points of interaction on the part of the character. The lot is often not visible, and gives the impression of a lack of loot for the player. Such a scenario creates a problem for the players. Such a loot cannot be used and blocks the update of each loot within the boundaries of the entire respawn location. Can I somehow pay attention to respawn lott? It is necessary to change the way the guaranteed position of the loot on the surface of static objects is guaranteed. The loot must be accessible to the player visually and in the inventory menu. These tickets are for a common problem - a lot can exist for a long time in the texture of a static object, under a static object or penetrate into the texture of a static object.
Private servers can adjust the number of loots on locations, or limit the frequency of respawn loots. Given the existing problem, this further reduces the player’s ability to find or take advantage of the loot.

Spoiler

preview-DayZ_loot_in_textures_on_watchtopreview-DayZ_Screenshot_2019.08.26_-_23.preview-DayZ_Screenshot_2019.08.25_-_00.

An example in this video.

Spoiler

These Tickets have a common characteristic.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T147367

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T138489

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T144896

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T139622

2. We have always been taught to create a logical flowchart; if an action creates an error, return to its original state.
Is it possible to check the operation of the player’s actions? This ticket provides the case of the disappearance of one item of inventory. Similar cases occur with any inventory items. https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146488

Spoiler

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146488

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146665

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146546

Edited by lex__1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Can someone tell me what morphine and codeine do in this patch? I've found contradicting information.

They suppress the effects of pain, so you can move without grunting and limping when seriously injured. Never tried this in practice myself, but that's the way it is supposed to work. I believe codeine also helps if you have a cold or the flu.

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

They suppress the effects of pain, so you can move without grunting and limping when seriously injured. Never tried this in practice myself, but that's the way it is supposed to work. I believe codeine also helps if you have a cold or the flu.

Yeah, for a while the former was the effect of morphine, while recently I've seen a dayz tips clip saying that this is how codeine works now. So I was wondering which one it is, especially that I know codeine works for the cold, too (never had it in DayZ).

Thanks for the reply, anyway, but I'm afraid I still have to walk into a bear trap to test it. 😉

38 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Yeah, for a while the former was the effect of morphine, while recently I've seen a dayz tips clip saying that this is how codeine works now. So I was wondering which one it is, especially that I know codeine works for the cold, too (never had it in DayZ).

Thanks for the reply, anyway, but I'm afraid I still have to walk into a bear trap to test it. 😉

As far as I know it is both actually. The morphine autoinjector cancels all limping for 1 minute, codeine reduces it one level for five minutes, and no you can't take two pills to stack the effect. Gonna go do some testing myself to confirm...

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

As far as I know it is both actually. The morphine autoinjector cancels all limping for 1 minute, codeine reduces it one level for five minutes, and no you can't take two pills to stack the effect. Gonna go do some testing myself to confirm...

Thanks. There are 3 stages of limping, right? Normal walking / slight limp / heavy limp? I'm not sure at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Thanks. There are 3 stages of limping, right? Normal walking / slight limp / heavy limp? I'm not sure at the moment.

Yeah I think it is a slight limp at yellow health and the slow shuffling at red health.

• Beans 1

On 1/15/2020 at 12:58 AM, Greensek said:

Hi!

The inventory desync issue has been in the game for close to a year now. It should have been resolved before "release", among several other things. I really doubt it's ever going to be fixed at this point. 

It is very difficult to have confidence that these kinds of things (or anything else) will be fixed by vague statements such as, "we are working on it". 

It's pretty clear at this point that the game is being run by a skeleton crew, and community management is told to say very little beyond "we are working on it, don't worry, we will have fix" etc. 

I don't blame Greensek or The Dev Team personally,  but it's pretty clear this game is not a priority for BI anymore and the progress on bug fixes, content, along with the sparse communication don't do much to dissuade that thinking.

Don't be surprised if 2020 is the last year of content development for this game. The writing has been on the wall for a while now.     

4 hours ago, thepoey said:

The inventory desync issue has been in the game for close to a year now. It should have been resolved before "release", among several other things. I really doubt it's ever going to be fixed at this point. 

It is very difficult to have confidence that these kinds of things (or anything else) will be fixed by vague statements such as, "we are working on it". 

It's pretty clear at this point that the game is being run by a skeleton crew, and community management is told to say very little beyond "we are working on it, don't worry, we will have fix" etc. 

I don't blame Greensek or The Dev Team personally,  but it's pretty clear this game is not a priority for BI anymore and the progress on bug fixes, content, along with the sparse communication don't do much to dissuade that thinking.

Don't be surprised if 2020 is the last year of content development for this game. The writing has been on the wall for a while now.     

This is B.I.'s best selling game ever, that just got out of alpha literally a year ago after 6? years in development? It would be a damn shame if they abandon it now when it's so close.

But eh, at the end of the day they already got their money. I'm just waiting for that roadmap to see if they're going to set the bar low and realistic or if they actually promise on some much awaited features.

On 1/15/2020 at 9:58 AM, Greensek said:

Hi!

Its now a week since this (yet another) empty promise without any progress.
It's been 42 days since you implementend this absolutely game breaking inventory bug without having fixed it.

I guess i have to post now every day an update, because you seem not to care at all. Still. Just empty promises that come from this developer. I mean, seriously. 42 days to fix a bug that changes the game completely, because you cant loot, have to stand within military zones for 10 minutes still trying to fiddle some item into your inventory? And then trying to fiddle it for an hour in your base into a barrel/tent?