Greensek

DayZ Livonia PC Open Beta

12 hours ago, Greensek said:

Hello Survivors,

We closed the remaining Experimental Servers.

We would like to thank you once again for participating in the Open Beta, and we hope you enjoyed your experience in Livonia.

I would like to ask you about your experience during the Open Beta.

Was it fun?

Any issues you would like to report?

What's your overall feedback?

Thank you everyone,

Greensek

It was fun to play on the new map! The struggle to find water near the span locations + cold makes a huge difference. It just seems so strange to die of thirst while it is raining outside.

The map itself looks good and interessting. I also noticed that ruins spawn a large amount of loot (maybe a bit too much?)

One thing I did not like is that you can reach the "border" of the map so fast from certain spawn points. It was one of my first spawns on the map and I went north (without knowing anything about the map) and there was nothing...

I did not travel far enough south but I look forward to explore the map more.

• Like 1

Is it possible to repaint at the buildings as well as in the addon ARMA 3 contact?
For experienced players, it would be nice to see such a political paint.
It is too simple and fast to fish, I think it is necessary to extend the waiting time until the first catch.
When you combine the worm and the hook, the animation wheel goes - I think that this can be removed.
I recall the 63 patch, what a beautiful HUD . Please tell me, is it possible to return the "hud" 63 patches to the game as an additional function. You have everything drawn 😃

https://ibb.co/VmBcGq6

Edited by hegra

11 hours ago, Derleth said:
  • The black inventory bug, it was well documented I think.

I wonder if that wasn't a feature we all mistook for a bug. I have a vague impression the darkness was somehow related to the night and I have one distinct memory of it going away when near either a light source or dawn. It would make sense not to see colours at night, wouldn't it? But it occurred to me only after the free weekend.

Anyhow, I loved the harsh experience and please don't wussify it. Less deadly rain could be compensated e.g. with tougher zeds (although their numbers were impressive).

• Like 2

My few cents … 

I definitely like the little touches, especially blocking of inventory space for item that goes into the inventory and you're holding it in hands. FINALY! 🙂
Barricades in the cities and around certain buildings specifically are a really nice touch. They help to sell the atmosphere of feeble resistance until everything was eventually overrun
Nice to see that winging clothes is back when they are wet
As it was mentioned, since we have rain back, we should be also able to catch the rain water into bottles etc. for drinking/cooking
Storms and rain, well done, but the clothing and camping equipment needs to be properly waterproof, like we used to have. I remember going out in raider jacket and getting soaked in seconds as if I was wearing fabric. Maybe even a new line of camping jackets and pant that will be waterproof, so that we don't have to chase after military gear. 
While on the subject, hanging clothes on rope/fence to let them dry in the sun would be nice.

Cannot say much about the loot economy, for all my time on the serves, everything was mostly empty. Very basic items and too many survivors basically passing down the same gear over and over. I remember having a few runs where I got lucky and took a field vest from one infected. Laster died of course because of hunger and thirst. Had like two more chars and then got back to the same city and found a dead guy in a random house  with the vest on. I'm pretty sure it was the same one 😄 While playing, it did not feel like waking up after the event but instead being in the last hours before everything is overrun and desperately trying to get out of the city anyway you can. 
In any case, I do not mind if there is more loot in the cities. I always considered cities to be the source of loot, but at the same time an area that you just don't go to unless you must. If you go to cities or dare to live in one, you should not be concerned with scarcity, but instead with who and what else lives there.

And yes, performance issues. Infected got stuck even more than usual, they just stood in one place most of the time. Insane rubber banding. 
I'm not sure if the black inventory is tied to that but glitches like this did not happen for a long time.
Hopefully these will be resolved before the stable release 🙂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I wonder if that wasn't a feature we all mistook for a bug. I have a vague impression the darkness was somehow related to the night and I have one distinct memory of it going away when near either a light source or dawn. It would make sense not to see colours at night, wouldn't it? But it occurred to me only after the free weekend.

Anyhow, I loved the harsh experience and please don't wussify it. Less deadly rain could be compensated e.g. with tougher zeds (although their numbers were impressive).

Not a feature, the team is already working on it and should be fixed soon 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Damn, I thought the testing ended on Monday the 4th.. Oh well, here is my thoughts:

Performance

Just like Chernarus in 1.05, on high/full pop the performance goes to absolute shit, and this is even without basebuilding involved. I believe it has to do with the dead player/animal despawn time being far to long (1hour player and 20min animals?), making dead bodies stack up and just laying around for no reason. Especially when the military zones are so close to the spawn zones, it turns to a constant deathmatch of people just running back to the fight and dying over and over. I get why people think its a good idea, but this can't get priority over performance. It also makes it possible to run back to your body, pretty much on the other side of the map, and that is not a good thing.

20 minutes on dead players and 5 minutes on animals is enough. We can live without the body decay feature for better performance.

Sounds are still missing alot of the time, like howling wolves and gunshots.

Speaking of gunshot sounds, we NEED the louder bullet snaps back! We can barely hear them most of the time now when a bullet whizzes over our heads. The bullet snaps from 0.62 were fantastic sounding, really made you jump and alot more realistic.

CLE

Too many boxes of .308 and 7.62x54 is spawning in markets in towns and low tier military/hunting spots, this ammo should be rare in boxes even in high tier military zones, and only spawn in low numbers of loose bullets in towns and hunting locations. This goes for Chernarus as well.

Boxes of 7.62x39 is also too common in low tier military areas, change it to stacks of loose bullets in random numbers instead.

Food is pretty well balanced from what I've experienced so far, rice is too common tho.

Survival / Health / Damage

Personal Night Light.. PLEASE get rid of this feature, it makes it so no one uses flashlights anymore when traveling around and we miss out on all the awesome night encounters. The night time is both bright enough and short enough now (duration of night and day cycles felt really good in the Livonia testing). The PNL also makes the rain look nauseating when it lights up around you.

Item damage. We need alot more items to get damaged and ruined in the inventory when we get shot, like back in 0.62. This gives us more objectives/incentive to loot after fights, especially "endgame" when we already have all the supplies we need. It gives protector cases great value. It also makes us prioritize what we protect to survive, like ammo and med supplies. Right now we can get shot to pieces and barely need anything other than clothes after a fight, taking away from the looting experience both around the map and from dead players. This point is a big deal, and one of the worst things about how dayz have been after 0.63; we never NEED to loot after a fight.

Blood. The increased attention we have to keep on our blood loss is very good, both that the bandages is faster to apply than rags and the much slower blood regen, which gives saline and blood bags value. There needs to be a change to bleed rates though, cuts from infected hitting you, sliding down ladders and ruined shoes needs to bleed a lot slower than gunshot wounds. And blood should only regenerate when food and drink is in the white.

18 hours ago, Derleth said:

Any issues?

I'd say you need to implement more water-resistant clothing as soon as possible if the weather is going to be this harsh. Especially if the way hypothermia works is kept as is. In earlier posts in this thread you'll find several suggestions on how to make the system a bit more enjoyable to play. Basically slow down the onset of hypothermia so you don't start losing health immediately upon getting wet, but also make getting dry harder than just finding a roof over your head. The current rate at which your clothes dry just by staying indoors is way too fast. Getting indoors should halt the onset of hypothermia if you wring out your clothes, but getting your clothes dry needs to require a fire or much more time.

Other issues:

• The clouds still look like garbage at night, they are too bright even when there is no moon, they look like oil slicks. The colours are all wrong.
  • The black inventory bug, it was well documented I think.
  • Swapping mags with "R" can still cause desynced mags with the weapon firing ghost bullets as a consequence. If this issue is not tracked down before 1.06 goes live I'd suggest you disable the feature for the time being. We were fine without it until 1.05.
  • Server performance was not very good. It became progressively worse over time, in the end one night the infected were frozen in place and couldn't give chase when I was running around aggroing them. I could kill them one by one without the ones nearby getting to me.
  • The green military watch towers had no loot in them at all. That felt a little dull, like they are pointless props.
  • On one of the ruined buildings you climb a ladder to get to the attic floor - but the ladder cannot be accessed from that floor. Thankfully the roof was gone so it was possible to jump down...
  • Melee weapons getting damaged is a welcome change. Maybe some of them wear a bit too fast though, I'd say the sturdier weapons like combat knives and axes should be a bit more durable. I never tested, but do firearms get damaged by being used for melee too?
  • ...that brings me to another issue. Firearm melee should come with a light attack (that does not cause knockback) that can still be used when stamina is depleted. Standing there like an idiot with zeds ripping me to shreds is no fun at all. Swapping to proper melee seems to be interrupted when getting hit so often you remain helpless until unconscious.
  • Tents do not provide shelter from rain.

Overall Feedback

I'm loving the turn for a more harsh survival experience, struggling to find water and food makes all choices matter and I really hope you do not cave in to the complaints and make this any easier. Fishing was very enjoyable, I never knew how much I had missed that. The layout of the map with most towns in the northern part and mostly wilderness in the south opens up for varied gameplay. Intense player interactions in the north, survivalism and military raiding in the south. Can't wait to build myself a little base in the middle of nowhere.

The map terrain itself probably needs a little tweaking here and there, I cut down a tree in one town to make a fire and the tree fell into the house next to it, making the door impossible to interact with. I had dropped some gear on the floor inside so it was a bit annoying.. Also, there was this experience I had on the first night of open beta:

Reveal hidden contents

Other than that, Livonia makes me long for leather crafting and improvised bows to come back. Playing a hermit staying away from the busy pewpew in the north will be even more fun with them...

I totally agree.

We need survival to be harder in dayz and this patch seems to be a step in the right direction for sure. Please keep it that way.

The only point I disagree with you is the green military watch towers, I feel they just bring far to many spawnpoints for military gear, especially now that everything in the military zones spawns military loot. I find the towers just makes people miss encountering each other more easily, which is a bad thing, so I hope this nerf applies to Chernarus as well. Places like Kamensk and NWAF have so many of these towers that a lot of the time, people just skip the rest of the bases because the towers are so good, and no one see's each other.

I would add the rain sound is too loud when it is is full on pouring down, my ears almost go numb.

Map

The only complaint I really have is that the player spawn zones are far to close to military zones, it takes away the progression to get there and people just drink from a well when they spawn and run straight for the military bases around and it becomes just a constant deathmatch zone.

All in all this seems like a great patch, but needs some tweaking. Keep up the good work, devs.

And PLEASE, do not make basebuilding any better or "balanced". It shits on server performance and ruins the game IMO, and certainly don't belong in vanilla.. If people want OP basebuilding, they can play on modded servers with retarded long or disabled wall/lock breakdown. Blocked off buildings and abandoned structures everywhere, bases with sniper towers and people hiding away in gunfights is just no fun.

• Like 2
  • Beans 2

51 minutes ago, TAMW said:

And PLEASE, do not make basebuilding any better or "balanced". It shits on server performance and ruins the game IMO, and certainly don't belong in vanilla.. If people want OP basebuilding, they can play on modded servers with retarded long or disabled wall/lock breakdown. Blocked off buildings and abandoned structures everywhere, bases with sniper towers and people hiding away in gunfights is just no fun.

This and twice. if you hate the fact that an axe destroys wood (like it was designed for that or something, pff) or if you simply can't be bothered to hide your shit in a good place, please go to modded servers. Wood is not vibranium.

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

16 hours ago, Derleth said:

I actually think the "empty" lands in the south is one of the best things with the map. One thing that gets to me with Chernarus is that practically wherever you are on the map, jogging five minutes in any direction will take you to a town or a road. There is no wilderness, Livonia's south feels very wild by comparison. It also means you really need to be prepared before setting off there or you will be in trouble.

I think this will mean both pvp-focused and survivalist players can thrive on the map without seeing much of each other. The north was rough for newspawns though...

I meant empty as in not finished, apart from that one military compound with the destroyed tower it doesn't feel like a zombie apocalypse.
There's no sign of hasty retreat or that something bad happened.

The bases feel almost pristine and untouched, as if nothing bad happened, some roadblocks near them or leading into them would alleviate this, they're also pretty much all in one single strip below that large down and aren't spaced out more, the whole western section of the big forest is empty and while that sounds great, it's essentially just for people making their own bases there to hide them, which could lead to some servers having little to no good loot as it's all in bases in that section.

Maybe this could be resolved some other way.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, Greensek said:

Not a feature, the team is already working on it and should be fixed soon 😉

BTW, I like that you're here and I appreciate how you talk to us and communicate our output to the devs. Despite all that happened, I strongly believe that we need better communication with the devs and this community is not without fault for all the bad blood between our groups. I hope that after the Great Troubles of December 2018 we can mend fences and that our community can continue to co-create the end shape of DayZ. So thanks and keep it up! 🙂

• Beans 2

@Greensek is actually doing a great deal to restore my faith in the potential this game has to offer....

By being available and proactive, he is breathing new life in to the Forums' relevance.

Keep it up! and Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

hello everyone!  

I don't often post here in the forums, except to help peeps who have the same issues I have dealt with on our server, so I really hope I can get an answer to my question.

what is the release date for Livonia? is it the 13th of November? 

now I ask for a simple reason (other than the fact I loved Livonia on the beta servers and am dying to play it) people aren't happy about no information about the release date and are holding off playing dayz (which is a terrible thing for servers) until the release.  with a date in mind server admins can adjust game play and make the last "few days" (here's hoping lol) a bit of a wild west and PVP it up (esp. if the server is a bit stricter with pvp rules), thus keeping the interest in chernarus alive for the time being.

by the way loved Livonia and the car scavenge mechanic you have made - just awesome!

• Like 1

There has been no official announcement of release date yet. 13th was an accidental leak by Xbox iirc, and I'd say 1.06 needs some more testing on experimental before release. Of course it is possible they thought the Livonia beta build was "good enough" and push it this upcoming week, we'll see soon enough. 13th feels unrealistic though since that's Wednesday and 1.06 in itself is not even on experimental yet.

• Like 2

Strange that they decided to release mechanics and a map at the same time.  If the mechanics will be added to Chernarus for free then why release the map with mechanics.  You'd think they'd get 1.06 on stable and then release the map itself.  I don't know, I don't get this large release strategy mentality.  Maybe too much catering to modders.  But yea, no one knows when it will be ready.

• Like 1

I knew that it was an "accidental" leak but right now with no confirmation of any date it feels a lot like teasing (if get my meaning) and I love a good lead up to a good release as much as the next person!  but seriously uncool at this stage lol

I noticed a lot of the mechanics they are implementing in 1.06 was being tested on the Livonia map and they were working really well (apart form the odd thing which devs would be working on currently) so I think the experimental testing of 1.06 will be short lived anyways.  just my two cents worth.  

as for no one knowing which date is release, we all know that's porky pies!! lol  Bohemia Interactive we know your having way too much fun with this 😞

maybe, Bohemia confirming whether it will or not be the 13th would solve this issue?  😄

Edited by mother1977

2 hours ago, mother1977 said:

I knew that it was an "accidental" leak but right now with no confirmation of any date it feels a lot like teasing (if get my meaning) and I love a good lead up to a good release as much as the next person!  but seriously uncool at this stage lol

I noticed a lot of the mechanics they are implementing in 1.06 was being tested on the Livonia map and they were working really well (apart form the odd thing which devs would be working on currently) so I think the experimental testing of 1.06 will be short lived anyways.  just my two cents worth.  

as for no one knowing which date is release, we all know that's porky pies!! lol  Bohemia Interactive we know your having way too much fun with this 😞

maybe, Bohemia confirming whether it will or not be the 13th would solve this issue?  😄

The release date hasn't been announced yet.

• Sad 1

By the way - totally unrelated but still - would it be possible to implement an option to cut animal fat up into smaller parts, so the fat doesn't take up half the damn pot when cooking with it? I prefer frying to boiling but the size of the fat makes it impractical. For example it could be cut into three 1x2 parts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Derleth said:

There has been no official announcement of release date yet. 13th was an accidental leak by Xbox iirc, and I'd say 1.06 needs some more testing on experimental before release. Of course it is possible they thought the Livonia beta build was "good enough" and push it this upcoming week, we'll see soon enough. 13th feels unrealistic though since that's Wednesday and 1.06 in itself is not even on experimental yet.

I think it doesn't matter if it's on Experimental or not... i think it will come straight to stable because devs don't plan on releasing anymore Experimental updates until Stable... i guess they will work on it and have some stuff to surprise us and not to spoil anything and also will test the game internally and we might end up in the most polished/stable update ever 🙂 also Open Beta WAS Experimental update just saying it's in here and called Open Beta because of Livonia

16 minutes ago, KajMak64Bit2 said:

I think it doesn't matter if it's on Experimental or not... i think it will come straight to stable because devs don't plan on releasing anymore Experimental updates until Stable... i guess they will work on it and have some stuff to surprise us and not to spoil anything and also will test the game internally and we might end up in the most polished/stable update ever 🙂 also Open Beta WAS Experimental update just saying it's in here and called Open Beta because of Livonia

Yeah, I'm afraid you can be right that they'll push it without further testing on exp, but I hope you are wrong. Thing is, the track record of pushing builds to Stable untested is not particularly great. Last time the player hive was corrupted so people lost their characters and servers were crashing left and right. Internal testing is just not good enough when it comes to finding the issues that only surface at high traffic. Also, remember 1.06 has not been tested on Chernarus at all yet, and if e.g. the salvaging of car parts from wrecks is implemented there too, it means a large amount of map adjustments.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

Yeah, I'm afraid you can be right that they'll push it without further testing on exp, but I hope you are wrong. Thing is, the track record of pushing builds to Stable untested is not particularly great. Last time the player hive was corrupted so people lost their characters and servers were crashing left and right. Internal testing is just not good enough when it comes to finding the issues that only surface at high traffic. Also, remember 1.06 has not been tested on Chernarus at all yet, and if e.g. the salvaging of car parts from wrecks is implemented there too, it means a large amount of map adjustments.

they did have open beta's for testing the 1.06 for chernarus after they finished the Livonia testing,  with a bunch of servers being turn on to chernarus.

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

Salvaging car parts from wrecks is not a new mechanic first of all it used to be in the game for very short time... they are just normal car wreck assets/props.. but they have car parts spawn points on them... and it has been said it is postponed for other updates to come to Chernarus... because of map rework... it is indeed post poned for a later update they will not add new car wrecks to Chernarus in 1.06

22 minutes ago, mother1977 said:

they did have open beta's for testing the 1.06 for chernarus after they finished the Livonia testing,  with a bunch of servers being turn on to chernarus.

Aye, but it was a bit weird in that no 1.06 features were actually implemented on those servers yet, that is fishing, new weapons and so on, so as far as testing goes it was not a "full" experimental. Anyway I am not really interested in arguing about semantics, I'll stand firm by my standpoint that 1.06 needs another thorough beating on experimental before it is pushed to stable, or there is a huge risk of serious issues slipping through. I'm as anxious as anybody to see 1.06 and Livonia go live, but I'd rather wait another few weeks for a launch without problems than see yet another launch plagued by more or less game breaking bugs, poor server performance, crashes etc.

• Beans 3

57 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Aye, but it was a bit weird in that no 1.06 features were actually implemented on those servers yet, that is fishing, new weapons and so on, so as far as testing goes it was not a "full" experimental. Anyway I am not really interested in arguing about semantics, I'll stand firm by my standpoint that 1.06 needs another thorough beating on experimental before it is pushed to stable, or there is a huge risk of serious issues slipping through. I'm as anxious as anybody to see 1.06 and Livonia go live, but I'd rather wait another few weeks for a launch without problems than see yet another launch plagued by more or less game breaking bugs, poor server performance, crashes etc.

Especially since the initial run had really terrible performance. Yes, they did extend it specifically for performance testing but that did seem to end with affirmative resolution. Another round of testing would definitely be welcome, we can also expect them tuning some effect (duration, strength) etc., thus even having played Livonia I don't feel that is what I will get with the release. Because otherwise they could just release it, right? Plus there is still the question of what exactly will be present in Chernarus.  

20 minutes ago, Mr Cuong said:

when to open server livonia dayz ? please some bro help me .

There is no official release date yet, you just have to wait some more..

For as much as it rains in Livonia, can we have a way of drinking or collecting the rain water? Dieing of thirst, while it is pouring rain for 30 min to over an hour seems strange and awkward. I was in a deerstand dieing of thirst, but also protecting myself from the cold rain during a long thunderstorm. I kept thinking, "why can't they allow us to drink the rain water, to survive?"

Edited by RuffZ