Thunderpants_AU

Infinite duct tape glitch...

Has been patched or, more accurately, the way to do it solo has been patched. 

Is this the end of the world? 

Or does it make sewing and weapon cleaning kits and sharpening stones relevant again? 

IMO it's the latter.

Before 1.05, I considered duct tape the solution to all my repairing needs; shoes damaged? Duct tape. Gun damaged? Duct tape? Hatchet damaged? Duct tape. Duct tape down to 2%? Restrain and free self glitch and hey presto fresh duct tape. 

Found a sewing kit? Worthless! Found a gun cleaning kit? Garbage! Found a sharpening stone? Pfft! 

But now? Everything is useful! 

Shoes or backpack damaged? Leather sewing kit. Clothes damaged? Sewing kit. Knife or hatchet damaged? Sharpening stone. 

Sure, you can still repair all of those things with duct tape, but now that duct tape is finite it is more valuable. 

I have a renewed enthusiasm for this game, not that it was tapering off since 1.04...

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

2 hours ago, Skimshady said:

Sorry to be the one to break such bad news but it has been fixed.

I think you misread/didn't read the post. 

• Beans 1

Lol, did you read his post before answering?

He literally did a solid defence of the duct-tape glitch being fixed with some valid points.

I for one agree wholeheartedly - it makes that part of the game interesting again.

Not knowing whether you will be able to get your weapon repaired before it breaks, having to think about not using it until it gets fixed and taking detours out of necessity makes the game soooo much more interesting.

And I love the buffed up sickness-system - its amazing.

The last 2 updates have been so great, just the fact that 1.04 opened up large areas of the map again (the larger cities which were lag/death-traps back then) plus all the new functions and vaulting.

The game ain't perfect (and never will), but I am really impressed with BI's work on the last two patches.

I know that some people are still complaining about duping, but honest - compared to the end of 1.03 there is literally no duping anymore (I don't know of any ways and I dont hope anybody else does) and I have not been seeing any clear proof of it so far (would love to see it though, just to be clear about whether its still an issue at all).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Man Parts 241 said:

Duck tape glitch is still in. It's just different now.

Quack quack? 

LOL! 

Yeah, that's why I said:

21 hours ago, Thunderpants_AU said:

... or, more accurately, the way to do it solo has been patched.  

10 hours ago, Jonas Levin said:

I know that some people are still complaining about duping, but honest - compared to the end of 1.03 there is literally no duping anymore (I don't know of any ways and I dont hope anybody else does) and I have not been seeing any clear proof of it so far... 

Yeah, I haven't seen any evidence of duping first hand, however I've seen youtube video showing duping in 1.05. The give away that someone is doing it on your server is that you will inexplicably lose a lot of health, as the exploit affects all players on the server in that way for some reason. 

• Like 1

They fixed the glitch but didn't balance the game.

Run 10m? Shoes damaged. Get hit once? Clothing damaged. Build a wall? Hatched damaged. Shoot your suppressed pistol once? Suppressor ruined.

The duct tape glitch at least made it somewhat bareable.

• Beans 1

28 minutes ago, IMT said:

Run 10m? Shoes damaged. Get hit once? Clothing damaged. Build a wall? Hatched damaged. Shoot your suppressed pistol once? Suppressor ruined.

You're exaggerating. That doesn't happen. At all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IMT said:

LOL, obviously the game has to have some accelerated realism, ie shoes wearing out after 10 or so KILOMETERS. The day/night cycle is accelerated so did you expect nothing else to be so? 

As @DayzDayzFanboy said, you are exaggerating a lot. If you are looking for a game where you can build a huge base without your tools ruining, play Minecraft. If you want a game with indestructible suppressors, play pubg or cod.

The way I see it is that the devs have a vision for what the game will be and they are focused on that.

What the player's think the game should be is irrelevant.

You want a game that is exactly what you want in every aspect? Make your own damn game, but don't expect the player base to love everything that you do. #gamedevlife

5 hours ago, Thunderpants_AU said:

Quack quack? 

LOL! 

Yeah, that's why I said:

Yeah, I haven't seen any evidence of duping first hand, however I've seen youtube video showing duping in 1.05. The give away that someone is doing it on your server is that you will inexplicably lose a lot of health, as the exploit affects all players on the server in that way for some reason. 

Yeah, I seen that/those (it was apparently an issue in 1.04 too) but I never had it happen to myself and when me and a mate tried to replicate it (because we wanted to be sure if it was legit or not) it did not work - we didn't give it an extensive test though.

And the stuff about shoes and whatnot getting damaged/ruined by walking ten meters or shooting it once is just straight-up foolish.

Edited by Jonas Levin

On 10/13/2019 at 2:52 AM, DayzDayzFanboy said:

You're exaggerating. That doesn't happen. At all. 

On 10/13/2019 at 5:28 AM, Thunderpants_AU said:

LOL, obviously the game has to have some accelerated realism, ie shoes wearing out after 10 or so KILOMETERS. The day/night cycle is accelerated so did you expect nothing else to be so? 

As @DayzDayzFanboy said, you are exaggerating a lot. If you are looking for a game where you can build a huge base without your tools ruining, play Minecraft. If you want a game with indestructible suppressors, play pubg or cod.

The way I see it is that the devs have a vision for what the game will be and they are focused on that.

What the player's think the game should be is irrelevant.

You want a game that is exactly what you want in every aspect? Make your own damn game, but don't expect the player base to love everything that you do. #gamedevlife

Funny, look at these console kiddos. You have no idea what the game is meant to be at all. This game is basically PUBG but with some annoying aspects to it. Don't come here and tell me what the game is supposed to be about because I have been here for 4,5 years. I have read everything what the developers have put out and I have seen them break all of those words.

Go back to your CoD games because this game isn't meant for consoles and that is a fact.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, IMT said:

Funny, look at these console kiddos. You have no idea what the game is meant to be at all. This game is basically PUBG but with some annoying aspects to it. Don't come here and tell me what the game is supposed to be about because I have been here for 4,5 years. I have read everything what the developers have put out and I have seen them break all of those words.

Go back to your CoD games because this game isn't meant for consoles and that is a fact.

Lol you're a funny little man. Your shoes get ruined after 10 metres, really. And you're not exaggerating, really? And that makes us console kiddies that play Cod because we pointed out a straight fact? If its not meant for console what the hell are you doing here? You shouldn't get so triggered when someone points out a simple mistake you made. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Lol you're a funny little man. Your shoes get ruined after 10 metres, really. And you're not exaggerating, really? And that makes us console kiddies that play Cod because we pointed out a straight fact? If its not meant for console what the hell are you doing here? You shouldn't get so triggered when someone points out a simple mistake you made. 

Of course I was exaggerating, but you got my point, didn't you? I counted one time, each half hour I had to repair my shoes. If you play sessions of a couple of hours, you're going through a lot of sewing kits at that point. As I have pointed out before in another topic, this doesn't make the game challenging, it doesn't make the game harder and it isn't realistic at all, not even accelerated realism because it would've been accelerated more than 100 times. How it currently is, is just tedious, annoying and not fun at all. It keeps you from doing stuff properly. Oh and I wasn't exaggerating about building a wall though. Whenever I build a single fence, my tool changes status. To build 10 fences, you would need at least 4 to 5 tools which is fucking ridiculous. And you know what? A lot of long time players and who have somewhat the same vision about DayZ as me, agree with me.

Furthermore, I'm commenting on a topic about DayZ, I am allowed to do that. And I didn't make a mistake, I exaggerated on purpose to point out how dumb the balancing is and how the devs don't give a damn about it. Sometimes I wonder if the developers even test their own game.

• Thanks 1

@IMT exaggerating something isn't productive though. It could be assumed that you are reporting a bug rather than reporting something that annoys you. The game is marmite and one man's poison is another man's pleasure. For every decision the devs make there will be people for it and people against it. So, regarding repairing tools, shoes etc,, it doesn't bother me. To me, it's a game mechanic. In the same way that taming a Dino in Ark takes forever, or your calories burn so quickly in Long Dark, it's a game mechanic. The devs should be left alone to just make the game as they see fit. And if someone doesn't like that vision they're free to not play it. I play very few games, because I don't like the mechanics of the games. I play the games I do play because I like the mechanics of them. But really don't tell me I'm a CoD/console kiddie or whatever because I haven't been playing DayZ for five years. And don't tell me my opinion doesn't count for the same reasons. If you want to help the game and the community, make a useful contribution rather than posting inaccurate or exaggerated claims and slagging people off. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

10 hours ago, IMT said:

LOL! You talk like you have a huge audience of fans hanging your every word; "funny, look at these console kiddos." 

"This game is basically pubg..." 

No, you've got that backwards; pubg is based off of DayZ which is based off of arma. 

Dude, you make absolutely no sense at all. Why should we go back to cod!?  You are the one complaining about DayZ and we are the ones defending it since we think it is fine. 

I don't care if you've been here for 10 years, if what you say is stupid, which it is, don't expect people not to stand up and say something. 

Did you know that different shoes have different lifespans? Sneakers last approx 20-30mins, Hiking boots approx 30-45mins, Combat/assault boots 45-60mins of continuous foot travel. 

You love to complain and cry when we don't agree with you, but you still play the game and probably not even on xbox (the forum section you are in) since you refer to us as "console kiddos". 

You're a funny breed of human; illogical and self entitled. Makes me laugh to see your small brain struggle with basic logic 😘

• Beans 1

Does anyone remember the Canadian TV show The Red Green show? This topic makes me wonder if i should see if I can build out a red flannel costume, hat, and grow out a beard in the game to honor the all-repairing duct tape in this game, I mean, it fixes everything! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

17 hours ago, Skofield_Kid said:

Does anyone remember the Canadian TV show The Red Green show? This topic makes me wonder if i should see if I can build out a red flannel costume, hat, and grow out a beard in the game to honor the all-repairing duct tape in this game, I mean, it fixes everything! 😂 

The handyman's secret weapon!!!

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 8:23 PM, IMT said:

I agree, it would be better if BI added a handful or so more uses to the duct tape, and some other items, to help counteract clothes and tools degrading so quickly. At the very least increase the distance allowed before each phase of degradation to the shoes.

Allegedly shoes got damaged really quickly when this feature hit pc. It was never an issue with console. 

Also the zombie hit damage vs cloths has been toned right down

On 10/23/2019 at 3:32 AM, awalsh47 said:

Allegedly shoes got damaged really quickly when this feature hit pc. It was never an issue with console. 

Also the zombie hit damage vs cloths has been toned right down

zombie hit damage vs clothes has been toned down, however wolves vs clothes is a very different story!

1 hour ago, xxxD1RTD1VRxxx said:

zombie hit damage vs clothes has been toned down, however wolves vs clothes is a very different story!

Ha wolves I can understand with the teeth! 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:23 PM, IMT said:
On 10/22/2019 at 6:10 PM, Nayte said:

Repair gets tedious once shoes become damaged and the cycle begins between being worn, and once again damaged. The rate should be adjusted. Even if you are trail blazing, boots, especially military, should wear after 20 to 30 k. Which still isn't much. Basically, every item of footwear is like a cheap pair of sneakers, or joggers, for those in the UK.

I'd really like to see the developers add a condition between pristine and worn. For example, fair. This would nicely open avenues for expanded item use and value. The leather repair kit could bring shoes to fair, but duct tape only to worn. Same with the gun cleaning kit.

Pristine 5k / Fair 5k / Worn 4k / Damaged 2k / Badly Damaged 1k. This could be a Hiking boot. The worse your item is damaged, the greater the repair cost for the next tier. If damaged, shoes could slow you down slightly.

At some point, you should no longer have the option to repair your shoes, because the sole will have worn away.

You saw it here first! Send me a Jackson, and I won't say a word, BI (;

Big thanks for decreasing item size for pistols and gloves!

• Beans 2

6 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

I'd really like to see the developers add a condition between pristine and worn. For example, fair. This would nicely open avenues for expanded item use and value. The leather repair kit could bring shoes to fair, but duct tape only to worn. Same with the gun cleaning kit.

Nice ideas, that would be a good adjustment. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, EzyStriderPS4 said:

Repair gets tedious once shoes become damaged and the cycle begins between being worn, and once again damaged. The rate should be adjusted. Even if you are trail blazing, boots, especially military, should wear after 20 to 30 k. Which still isn't much. Basically, every item of footwear is like a cheap pair of sneakers, or joggers, for those in the UK.

Pristine 5k / Fair 5k / Worn 4k / Damaged 2k / Badly Damaged 1k. This could be a Hiking boot. The worse your item is damaged, the greater the repair cost for the next tier. If damaged, shoes could slow you down slightly.

At some point, you should no longer have the option to repair your shoes, because the sole will have worn away.

You saw it here first! Send me a Jackson, and I won't say a word, BI (;

Big thanks for decreasing item size for pistols and gloves!

That would work great, maybe even call it “used”, though “fair” works as well.

I feel like the devs want the degradation to remain to keep this level of challenge, even though it becomes more of a chore, rather than a realistic mechanic to keep an eye on.

As with all things, balance.

• Thanks 1

If I can sprint for 15km on a single soda can, but have to repair my boots 3 times...something needs to be changed.

• Haha 1