ImpulZ

Stable Update 1.05

Hello Survivors,

We have deployed a small patch to fix the client and community server crashes on PC.

The original post has been updated.

CHANGED

• Changed: The script methods handling the weapon zeroing can now be applied to any weapon muzzle, used for multi-barrel weapons

FIXED

• Fixed: A bug with the inventory that could lead to client and server crash
  • Beans 1

More more more... Patches with bugs... Bugs... Bugs...

BugHemia intrecrashtive

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Tom_48_97 A couple of quick questions:  Why was this recent patch not tested on Experimental? The issues causing the hive problems and crashes could have been found before making a mess on stable. Also, why send out a patch to stable branch without any patchnotes or even mention of why the patch was pushed? Even without the problems caused by the update that would have raised many questions. You guys really need to work on how you communicate.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

I'm going to have to agree somewhat with @Derleth. What happened to appropriately notifying the community on these patches? Or better identified as "micro" patches? Multiple micro updates in a weeks time and the only indication is from @Tom_48_97 who simply drops the update randomly into this post. 

21 hours ago, Tom_48_97 said:

Hello Survivors,

We have deployed a small patch to fix the client and community server crashes on PC.

The original post has been updated.

CHANGED

• Changed: The script methods handling the weapon zeroing can now be applied to any weapon muzzle, used for multi-barrel weapons

FIXED

• Fixed: A bug with the inventory that could lead to client and server crash

I feel its a fairly reasonable request to have these micro updates/patches given a proper post so they can be readily identified by the community regardless how small the change might have been. Please take this into consideration Dev's. The community and all our grumbles would grumble slightly less in this particular regard. I'm certain of it. Slightly. 

Edited by C4-timah
Damn spelling errors
  • Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 10:38 AM, C4-timah said:

I'm going to have to agree somewhat with @Derleth. What happened to appropriately notifying the community on these patches? Or better identified as "micro" patches? Multiple micro updates in a weeks time and the only indication is from @Tom_48_97 who simply drops the update randomly into this post. 

I feel its a fairly reasonable request to have these micro updates/patches given a proper post so they can be readily identified by the community regardless how small the change might have been. Please take this into consideration Dev's. The community and all our grumbles would grumble slightly less in this particular regard. I'm certain of it. Slightly. 

+1 to @C4-timah because it also breaks every single server. So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make a TWEET, a separate POST and maybe wade into the mess that's /r/dayz and let everyone know.

• Like 1

My friend and I did not play at all during the snafu, we logged in yesterday. We got the notice that our position was changed due to server change. Any insight into, why was our position randomly reset?

On that note, my friend was placed quite close to our location, I was placed on the other side of the map (literally). So I server hopped, on purpose this time, and got teleported where I needed to be and we met in a few minutes. That system is really stupid and doesn't solve anything, it just either adds frustration during a messed up situation like this or serves to player's advantage. That it prevents ghosting seems almost like a side effect. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 7:18 AM, William Sternritter said:

My friend and I did not play at all during the snafu, we logged in yesterday. We got the notice that our position was changed due to server change. Any insight into, why was our position randomly reset?

On that note, my friend was placed quite close to our location, I was placed on the other side of the map (literally). So I server hopped, on purpose this time, and got teleported where I needed to be and we met in a few minutes. That system is really stupid and doesn't solve anything, it just either adds frustration during a messed up situation like this or serves to player's advantage. That it prevents ghosting seems almost like a side effect. 

The little patch they pushed with Wednesday's maintenance messed up the hive database, so they did a roll-back on Thursday that apparently wiped whatever cache keeps track of what server you played last time, so basically everyone on the public hive were relocated.

As for the system itself, it definitely invites its own version of exploitation. Spawn - loot your way to NWAF / Tisy /whatever - server hop to teleport back to the coast - hunt newspawns. If you need to cross the map quickly there is little incentive to run when you can server hop until you end up where you want to be. Yeah, ghosting is no longer possible and hopping to loot cycle hopelessly impractical, but the fast-track to the coast is a side effect I don't like. Would have preferred a displacement 2-3 kilometres in a random direction, if that could be solved technically without killing servers.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 8:06 AM, Derleth said:

The little patch they pushed with Wednesday's maintenance messed up the hive database, so they did a roll-back on Thursday that apparently wiped whatever cache keeps track of what server you played last time, so basically everyone on the public hive were relocated.

As for the system itself, it definitely invites its own version of exploitation. Spawn - loot your way to NWAF / Tisy /whatever - server hop to teleport back to the coast - hunt newspawns. If you need to cross the map quickly there is little incentive to run when you can server hop until you end up where you want to be. Yeah, ghosting is no longer possible and hopping to loot cycle hopelessly impractical, but the fast-track to the coast is a side effect I don't like. Would have preferred a displacement 2-3 kilometres in a random direction, if that could be solved technically without killing servers.

Not all of the server_hopping spawn points are on the coast. IMO, the ultimate fix is to just have separate databases/characters for each server. no more hive.

5 hours ago, helpthedeadwalk said:

Not all of the server_hopping spawn points are on the coast. IMO, the ultimate fix is to just have separate databases/characters for each server. no more hive.

I would perhaps not mind this as much, if 1x time returns and  they make proper nigh light again. Not that it is hard to move at night even right now, but there is no reason to keep the time sped up anymore and the previous nights were much better. And of course … provide enough servers to play on. Again, there are only three HC first person servers in EU right now. Those can easily get full, especially if you're locked to just one of them. 

On 10/22/2019 at 5:06 AM, Derleth said:

It's definitely kind of annoying that the server hop system makes Coastal Deathmatch slightly easier, but it's really not that difficult to make it back to the coast anyway, especially if you know where you're going and aren't stopping to loot. It's maybe a 20 minute trek at most from most spots on the map. If anything, I still argue that shifting around players trying to server hop at high tier loot areas is ultimately going to make less likely to do so if switching drops them back on the coast, because the trek from the coast is much more dangerous than simply getting there, especially if you don't know where it's going to put you. 

Coastal Deathmatch  is just part of DayZ, for better or for worse. There are always going to be people that want to treat the coast like it's a Fresh Spawn warzone, and it can be annoying, but if this game didn't have the innate fear of being killed on sight by anyone you run into baked into it, it wouldn't be DayZ.  

If someone's only goal in the game is to head to the coast and kill fresh spawns once they get geared, they are going to find a way to do that anyway. The only true way to combat that tendency is by deepening the reward for endgame content such as cars and base building by making these systems work more consistently in terms of bugs and overall feasibility (cars that don't run the risk of flying off the map and killing you, and bases that can't be destroyed in 10 minutes by anyone with an axe), with more incentive to fortify a single location over the longterm, along with making the PvE elements such as zombies or hostile animals even harsher (mainly in terms of numbers and location) so that players have even more reason to work together to survive, instead of sitting in the apartments in Elektro just blasting fresh spawns for a cheap thrill. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, thepoey said:

It's definitely kind of annoying that the server hop system makes Coastal Deathmatch slightly easier, but it's really not that difficult to make it back to the coast anyway, especially if you know where you're going and aren't stopping to loot. It's maybe a 20 minute trek at most from most spots on the map. If anything, I still argue that shifting around players trying to server hop at high tier loot areas is ultimately going to make less likely to do so if switching drops them back on the coast, because the trek from the coast is much more dangerous than simply getting there, especially if you don't know where it's going to put you. 

Coastal Deathmatch  is just part of DayZ, for better or for worse. There are always going to be people that want to treat the coast like it's a Fresh Spawn warzone, and it can be annoying, but if this game didn't have the innate fear of being killed on sight by anyone you run into baked into it, it wouldn't be DayZ.  

If someone's only goal in the game is to head to the coast and kill fresh spawns once they get geared, they are going to find a way to do that anyway. The only true way to combat that tendency is by deepening the reward for endgame content such as cars and base building by making these systems work more consistently in terms of bugs and overall feasibility (cars that don't run the risk of flying off the map and killing you, and bases that can't be destroyed in 10 minutes by anyone with an axe), with more incentive to fortify a single location over the longterm, along with making the PvE elements such as zombies or hostile animals even harsher (mainly in terms of numbers and location) so that players have even more reason to work together to survive, instead of sitting in the apartments in Elektro just blasting fresh spawns for a cheap thrill. 

I agree with this position.  While I was initially confused as to how the new mechanic would work, sending players back to the coast for server hopping has noticeably affected the amount of players who leave at night.  Before the mechanic , servers would empty out at nighttime, now it seems as though the numbers only reduce a little bit.  

And yes, while there are a select few who will of course enjoy spawning back at the coast, I have only seldom encountered this.  At the very least, the pros of deterring server hopping do outweigh the cons of this form of exploitation.  The mechanic severely hinders the likelihood that people will randomly spawn back to the coast especially where they are in a group as they will all be scattered.  And you are far more likely to succeed up northwest if you have a few players working in tandem so this strategy feeds right into the deterrence posed by the mechanic.  Additionally,  DayZ is not a game where those with AR are guaranteed victory against other weaponry.  Someone blasting an AR on the coast is going to attract both zombies and other players hungry for the equipment.  Should a freshie with a shotgun and a few bullets engage a geared player the risk is high but the reward is even higher.

All this to say and I hate to admit it, but I think they developed an interesting mechanic to prevent server hopping that really considers the psychology and mechanics of DayZ.

Now, the golden question is: would a mechanic that spawns a player within the 2-3 km radius be more effective?  The interesting thing about this suggestion is it would, in my opinion, not be able to effectively be exploited as a flanking mechanic as spawning 2-3km away will require 20-30 minutes of running to get back to the combat zone where the situation would have likely changed rendering any advantage from the flank null.  The only disadvantage I can think of is that it is not as punishing of a mechanic as the one currently implemented.  I don't think this mechanic would deter people from switching to daytime servers because you are going to respawn pretty close by.  Like mentioned above, the journey back to inland is very dangerous so the current method really punishes geared players.  To me, this disadvantage is fatal to server hopping and creates the desired result of deterrence.  I like that servers still stay populated during the nighttime because DayZ at night is a truly terrifying and interesting experience.  I like to have to navigate using the north star and I also like that I can potentially get a huge initiative on players who walk around with light sources because they are afraid and/or unable to navigate in the darkness. 

Edited by aaronlands
edited for clarity
  • Like 2

Interesting posts by @thepoey and @aaronlands but I still think the easier solution to this problem is to get rid of the hive system.

Looking back over the history of DayZ, the hive has been used primarily for one reason -- to avoid night.  This goes back to the Alpha on the first engine.

I might be in the minority in this opinion, but wouldn't eliminating the hive solve the displacement problem and keep players playing longer on the same server?  When night comes in a "no hive" system, most players would want to stay and play rather than switch and start as a new spawn, wouldn't they?

@drgullen I really cannot think of a reason for why there is a hive system.  Perhaps its rooted in something technical rather than in game design.  The only thing I can think of at this point is that servers seem to get shuffled around at intervals (meaning some servers close).  Getting rid of the hive system would mean that such measures would likely result in lost characters.  At the same time, I can't see why there wouldn't be some sort of transfer mechanic in the case where a server was closing.   

• Like 1

So I just tested out official vanilla again after months of playing only on modded servers, and there are serious issues with vanilla and generally with dayz I would like to point out.

First off,

Performance.

The performance is absolutely terrible on highpop, infected getting stuck on everything, or are so slow you can slow-walk away from them. And far worse; players lagging around. It is literally a problem keeping visual track of players because they stutter so bad.

I don't know if there has been changes to the dead player and animals despawn time since 1.05, if not, there needs to be.

1 hour on players and 20min on animals is FAR too long, make it 20 or 25min on players and revert animals back to 5 minutes or whatever it used to be, there is simply no reason for animals to stay around dead (explained in my next point). You shouldn't be able to run back to your body on the other side of the map with no problem. This needs to be changed.

Survival.

It is still piss easy to survive in vanilla dayz right now, and has been since 0.63 got released. This has to be changed, this isn't a hardcore survival game any more by any stretch of the imagination, and it really takes away from the game.

We stumble over food in damn near every house, on infected, under apple trees, in the forest. If you spend 10minutes looting when you spawn, you are set for hours on food. And this is where the animals comes in, we simply have no need for them in chernarus. I have still NOT ONCE needed to hunt since 0.63 came out.

Food should be something we have to search for, hunt for, not throw out because our inventory is filled to the brim with it after 30 minutes of chilling in Berezino.

Weapons and loot progression.

The amount of weapons and ammo has to be toned way down. Much like food, we end up throwing out weapons and ammo after 10 minutes because we have so much of it.

We are almost guaranteed to find a pump shotgun, mp5 with mags and loads of ammo in the spawn zones, maybe even mosins. And if you are in a military base, .45 acp are falling out of your pockets, you are tripping over AK's and ump's.

This is a BIG point that needs to be addressed, we need reasons to be traveling places. Because alot of the map is completely dead and untraveled.

Here are some suggestions:

The spawn zones should offer .380 and .22 weapons/ammo, some occasional 9mm pistols in police stations and izh rifles, and rarely some loose 7.62x39 rounds or shotgun shells in low numbers like 2-5.

Infected loot needs to be nerfed across the board, only a low chance of food, loose ammo on military and low tier vests.

The military zones needs better tier systems, like:

TIER 1 Svetlojarsk checkpoint, Berezino, Elektro and Cherno - Scorpins, 9mm and .45 pistols and mags, maybe some loose 7.62 rounds. And low end clothing like tactical shirts and bomber jackets. Assault vests, no backpacks.

TIER 2 Staroye, Gorka/Dubrovka checkpoint, Balota airfield, Krasnostav airfield, Gvozdno checkpoint, Severograd checkpoint   - MP5, UMP, and on rare occasions SKS. Smoke and flash grenades. Gorka and USMC clothing, SSh-68 and Gorka helmets. 7.62x39, 5.45, .45, 9mm, 9x39 and 5.56. NOT BOXES, just loose ammo of 10 or less. And a chance of magazines for all tiers of military weapons. Scopes and red dots for military weapons. Bigger vests and backpacks. And everything lower tier items.

TIER 3 Kamenka checkpoint, Stary sobor, VMC, Kamensk base, Zelenogorsk base and NWAF. - SKS, UMP, AK-74 variants, VSS, and all the lower tier military weapons. Frag grenades. All types of military clothing and helmets. All types of ammo 15 or less. And everything lower tier items.

TIER 4 Myshkino base, Lopatino chekpoint and Tisy base. - M4, all AK variants, chance of BOX ammo for 7.62x39, 5.45, .45, 9mm, 9x39 and 5.56. Plate carrier. Tactical helmet, NVG. Tactical bacon. And everything lower tier items.

TIER 5 Chopper crash. - SVD, FAL. BOXES of .308 and 7.62x54. Tactical bacon. Plate carrier. Mags and ammo boxes for all other weapons. Grenades.

Hunting gear. Deerstands needs a higher chance of PU and hunting scopes. The summer camps should not spawn boxes of ammo, only rare loose .308 og 7.62, and good chance of hunting backpacks and clothing and some food.

The big cities also needs special items. This is a IMPORTANT point.

Like Severograd in 0.62 used to have a high chance of Winchester Model 70 or CR-527 spawn, and pressvest, boxes of 9mm and shotgun ammo.

Kamenka town and Chernaya polana had high chance of Mosin.

Novodmitrovsk had pump shotguns, etc.

There were also higher chances of finding rice, powdered milk in the cities inland.

This brought people to loot these cool places and resulted in alot of player encounters.

Now they are completely dead, because we have no reason to loot them. Bring them back, PLEASE 🙂

Health and damage.

Blood. I still feel we should take blood damage from bullets, and not just bleed insanely fast from a cut in the hand. The 0.62 blood damage system was REALLY good, please bring this back. It also needs to regenerate even slower, and only when food and drink is in the white.

Items. Items inside clothing should also take A LOT more damage like in 0.62 when getting shot, this adds value to protector cases and forces us to prioritize what to protect. It also gives us new objectives after a fight to search for new items because stuff is ruined from getting shot. I know this isn't realistic, but it makes the looting process much more interesting. Instead of like now, where we get shot to pieces and we really don't even need the loot from our kills.

Weather and temperatures. It should take alot longer heating up and drying when you are wet and cold, giving us a reason to make a fire. Also make raincoats and waterproof clothes a thing again, because they do not work at all ATM.

3 hours ago, drgullen said:

Interesting posts by @thepoey and @aaronlands but I still think the easier solution to this problem is to get rid of the hive system.

Looking back over the history of DayZ, the hive has been used primarily for one reason -- to avoid night.  This goes back to the Alpha on the first engine.

I might be in the minority in this opinion, but wouldn't eliminating the hive solve the displacement problem and keep players playing longer on the same server?  When night comes in a "no hive" system, most players would want to stay and play rather than switch and start as a new spawn, wouldn't they?

Agree 100%. Instead of wasting more time and resources on moving players around and nerfing the night even more, just get rid of the hive system completely. It adds nothing. This whould also have a even better effect on combat logging, even extend the logout to 45 seconds.

I also see people complaining about unbalanced basebuilding. We do NOT need better basebuilding in dayz, if you want this, join the modded servers. There you can safely store all your loot and hide away in gunfights. Keep basebuilding as it is.

Edited by TAMW
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@TAMW

I gotta say I like most of your suggestions. 

I don't think that the dead body timer should be reduced only because I think it adds immersion to the game to come across dead bodies.  

Agreed on the survival points, it is much too easy to survive.  The only issue I have with this suggestion is that it is difficult for me to see how other players who might already find the game difficult would view increased survival difficulty.  While it is very easy for me to exclaim 'tough luck' to people who oppose more punishing survival elements I do have to consider that perhaps there is a good reason (from the developer's perspective) for the way it is currently balanced.  At the same time, I think it has been shown that players are highly adaptable to game changes which affect the survival mechanics and seem to adjust without much protest.  Case and point being the changes to the disease and food poisoning mechanic.  While there was an initial growing pain I believe the new meta with respect to water and uncooked food has been adopted by most new players save for those lucky ones just firing up the game for the first time.  

One of my favourite memorable moments in DayZ actually occurred on the DayZ Underground server.  My character was starving to death and only just managed to survive by shooting a deer with one bullet left and eating the carcass raw which gave me some time to find pills to cure my sickness as well.  Although I should say, I don't want to portray DayZ Underground as the perfect setup of balance.  In fact, I find it a little too barren almost to the point where it seems contrived and actually removes me from the game somehow.  

Really like your loot progression ideas.  Indeed, there should be some uniqueness to towns that provides incentive to travel.  This would actually help give the cities and villages different vibes.

Could you explain how the blood mechanic worked in .62?  Also I believed they just upped the blood regeneration levels after it went to an extreme low just after 1.05 was released.  I actually enjoyed the lower regeneration but it was only there for a short period of time.  At least it shows that they are still tinkering with fundamental mechanics.  

Absolutely agreed on the weather points.  I think they have hinted that rain will play a big role in Livonia but I do not see why those mechanics would be restricted to the map so I say that there is more to come on that front.  

Generally I agree with the comments on basebuilding.

What do you think about the nighttime.  In particular, how do you feel about how the personal player light works and/or is currently  implemented?

Any ideas for changes with respect to vehicles?

9 hours ago, TAMW said:

Weather and temperatures. It should take alot longer heating up and drying when you are wet and cold, giving us a reason to make a fire. Also make raincoats and waterproof clothes a thing again, because they do not work at all ATM.

Actually rain coats and fireman's clothes do work now. Just a jacket is not enough to keep you dry though, regular pants will absorb water like a sponge and chill the character nearly as quickly as with no raincoat, and I am pretty sure head and footwear plays a role too. Also, putting on a raincoat when you are already wet is pointless.

I agree that the drying mechanic needs to change, currently you'll get dry and warm in a few minutes just by getting indoors, there is no reason whatsoever to make a fire. The current rate should be with fire, without one the heat loss should merely be slowed down (halted if you wring out your clothes). Drying without fire shouldn't be possible at all or at least take hours.

But - that also requires there to be more options for weatherproof clothing, and they need to fix tents so they give shelter.

As for your other points I agree completely about survival. On my own server I have drastically reduced food and ammo drops from infected, and canned food and fruit by about 30%. That has turned out to be a decent balance. Infected there are increased around 3x so focus is survival against them and the elements. 

Oh, about things getting damaged in your inventory when shot, I believe they are trying to make that depend on hit location to make it realistic. Not sure though, but I remember reading about that. Things do get damaged though, but only some items, it seems very inconsistent at the moment. Anyway I can't wait to shove a frying pan in my rider's jacket to make an improvised plate carrier...

14 hours ago, aaronlands said:

@drgullen I really cannot think of a reason for why there is a hive system.  Perhaps its rooted in something technical rather than in game design.  The only thing I can think of at this point is that servers seem to get shuffled around at intervals (meaning some servers close).  Getting rid of the hive system would mean that such measures would likely result in lost characters.  At the same time, I can't see why there wouldn't be some sort of transfer mechanic in the case where a server was closing.   

The reason is really simple, server cap is too low. During peak hours, you want to play and not wait in the queue or start a new char. Having at least 3 or more servers to choose from, where you characters is persistent is still the better option. 

15 hours ago, aaronlands said:

OH, FML, this was a totally different post, reacting to TAMW. I may write that later again. TLDR, it's not as easy with loot as you describe but huge improvements are needed in infected, environmental effects and performance. 

Edited by William Sternritter

16 hours ago, TAMW said:

So I just tested out official vanilla again after months of playing only on modded servers, and there are serious issues with vanilla and generally with dayz I would like to point out.

First off,

Performance.

The performance is absolutely terrible on highpop, infected getting stuck on everything, or are so slow you can slow-walk away from them. And far worse; players lagging around. It is literally a problem keeping visual track of players because they stutter so bad.

I don't know if there has been changes to the dead player and animals despawn time since 1.05, if not, there needs to be.

1 hour on players and 20min on animals is FAR too long, make it 20 or 25min on players and revert animals back to 5 minutes or whatever it used to be, there is simply no reason for animals to stay around dead (explained in my next point). You shouldn't be able to run back to your body on the other side of the map with no problem. This needs to be changed.

Survival.

It is still piss easy to survive in vanilla dayz right now, and has been since 0.63 got released. This has to be changed, this isn't a hardcore survival game any more by any stretch of the imagination, and it really takes away from the game.

We stumble over food in damn near every house, on infected, under apple trees, in the forest. If you spend 10minutes looting when you spawn, you are set for hours on food. And this is where the animals comes in, we simply have no need for them in chernarus. I have still NOT ONCE needed to hunt since 0.63 came out.

Food should be something we have to search for, hunt for, not throw out because our inventory is filled to the brim with it after 30 minutes of chilling in Berezino.

Weapons and loot progression.

The amount of weapons and ammo has to be toned way down. Much like food, we end up throwing out weapons and ammo after 10 minutes because we have so much of it.

We are almost guaranteed to find a pump shotgun, mp5 with mags and loads of ammo in the spawn zones, maybe even mosins. And if you are in a military base, .45 acp are falling out of your pockets, you are tripping over AK's and ump's.

This is a BIG point that needs to be addressed, we need reasons to be traveling places. Because alot of the map is completely dead and untraveled.

Here are some suggestions:

The spawn zones should offer .380 and .22 weapons/ammo, some occasional 9mm pistols in police stations and izh rifles, and rarely some loose 7.62x39 rounds or shotgun shells in low numbers like 2-5.

Infected loot needs to be nerfed across the board, only a low chance of food, loose ammo on military and low tier vests.

The military zones needs better tier systems, like:

TIER 1 Svetlojarsk checkpoint, Berezino, Elektro and Cherno - Scorpins, 9mm and .45 pistols and mags, maybe some loose 7.62 rounds. And low end clothing like tactical shirts and bomber jackets. Assault vests, no backpacks.

TIER 2 Staroye, Gorka/Dubrovka checkpoint, Balota airfield, Krasnostav airfield, Gvozdno checkpoint, Severograd checkpoint   - MP5, UMP, and on rare occasions SKS. Smoke and flash grenades. Gorka and USMC clothing, SSh-68 and Gorka helmets. 7.62x39, 5.45, .45, 9mm, 9x39 and 5.56. NOT BOXES, just loose ammo of 10 or less. And a chance of magazines for all tiers of military weapons. Scopes and red dots for military weapons. Bigger vests and backpacks. And everything lower tier items.

TIER 3 Kamenka checkpoint, Stary sobor, VMC, Kamensk base, Zelenogorsk base and NWAF. - SKS, UMP, AK-74 variants, VSS, and all the lower tier military weapons. Frag grenades. All types of military clothing and helmets. All types of ammo 15 or less. And everything lower tier items.

TIER 4 Myshkino base, Lopatino chekpoint and Tisy base. - M4, all AK variants, chance of BOX ammo for 7.62x39, 5.45, .45, 9mm, 9x39 and 5.56. Plate carrier. Tactical helmet, NVG. Tactical bacon. And everything lower tier items.

TIER 5 Chopper crash. - SVD, FAL. BOXES of .308 and 7.62x54. Tactical bacon. Plate carrier. Mags and ammo boxes for all other weapons. Grenades.

Hunting gear. Deerstands needs a higher chance of PU and hunting scopes. The summer camps should not spawn boxes of ammo, only rare loose .308 og 7.62, and good chance of hunting backpacks and clothing and some food.

The big cities also needs special items. This is a IMPORTANT point.

Like Severograd in 0.62 used to have a high chance of Winchester Model 70 or CR-527 spawn, and pressvest, boxes of 9mm and shotgun ammo.

Kamenka town and Chernaya polana had high chance of Mosin.

Novodmitrovsk had pump shotguns, etc.

There were also higher chances of finding rice, powdered milk in the cities inland.

This brought people to loot these cool places and resulted in alot of player encounters.

Now they are completely dead, because we have no reason to loot them. Bring them back, PLEASE 🙂

Health and damage.

Blood. I still feel we should take blood damage from bullets, and not just bleed insanely fast from a cut in the hand. The 0.62 blood damage system was REALLY good, please bring this back. It also needs to regenerate even slower, and only when food and drink is in the white.

Items. Items inside clothing should also take A LOT more damage like in 0.62 when getting shot, this adds value to protector cases and forces us to prioritize what to protect. It also gives us new objectives after a fight to search for new items because stuff is ruined from getting shot. I know this isn't realistic, but it makes the looting process much more interesting. Instead of like now, where we get shot to pieces and we really don't even need the loot from our kills.

Agree 100%. Instead of wasting more time and resources on moving players around and nerfing the night even more, just get rid of the hive system completely. It adds nothing. This whould also have a even better effect on combat logging, even extend the logout to 45 seconds.

I also see people complaining about unbalanced basebuilding. We do NOT need better basebuilding in dayz, if you want this, join the modded servers. There you can safely store all your loot and hide away in gunfights. Keep basebuilding as it is.

Completely agree with all your points. 

Too much loot, too much food, too much weapons, too much focus on the basebuilding. Also just remove the hive system at this point, I'm tired of seeing people jump servers and exploit the teleporting feature that you included for some stupid reason. The solution to solving ghosting is to make log-out times much worse. If you log out, you need to make a 15 minute pause to join a new server or join the same server again to prevent ghosting, meanwhile your character stays on the server for 15 minutes so if you've been in a firefight you will get killed - problem solved.

I also really dislike the sickness system as of right now, dying of food poisoning takes around 5-10 minutes without treatment, makes no sense and is especially frustrating for new players.

Also, wasn't there plans (years ago) to make some wells filled with non-drinkable or poisoned water or just not working at all? I really would LOVE to see this feature because to this day my favorite patch was the one where wells were broken and food spawns were fucked and almost non existent. That was an awesome survival experience, just like we were promised. Not this PUBG knock-off with more weapons on the map than there's players and stupid ass basebuilding where people just hoard stuff and destroy the atmosphere of Chernarus.

Not everybody on a server should have weapons, matter of fact not even half the players should have weapons which would make finding a weapon a great experience and finding the right ammo or a mag even more.

Edited by VVarhead

17 hours ago, aaronlands said:

@TAMW

I gotta say I like most of your suggestions. 

I don't think that the dead body timer should be reduced only because I think it adds immersion to the game to come across dead bodies.  

Agreed on the survival points, it is much too easy to survive.  The only issue I have with this suggestion is that it is difficult for me to see how other players who might already find the game difficult would view increased survival difficulty.  While it is very easy for me to exclaim 'tough luck' to people who oppose more punishing survival elements I do have to consider that perhaps there is a good reason (from the developer's perspective) for the way it is currently balanced.  At the same time, I think it has been shown that players are highly adaptable to game changes which affect the survival mechanics and seem to adjust without much protest.  Case and point being the changes to the disease and food poisoning mechanic.  While there was an initial growing pain I believe the new meta with respect to water and uncooked food has been adopted by most new players save for those lucky ones just firing up the game for the first time.  

One of my favourite memorable moments in DayZ actually occurred on the DayZ Underground server.  My character was starving to death and only just managed to survive by shooting a deer with one bullet left and eating the carcass raw which gave me some time to find pills to cure my sickness as well.  Although I should say, I don't want to portray DayZ Underground as the perfect setup of balance.  In fact, I find it a little too barren almost to the point where it seems contrived and actually removes me from the game somehow.  

Really like your loot progression ideas.  Indeed, there should be some uniqueness to towns that provides incentive to travel.  This would actually help give the cities and villages different vibes.

Could you explain how the blood mechanic worked in .62?  Also I believed they just upped the blood regeneration levels after it went to an extreme low just after 1.05 was released.  I actually enjoyed the lower regeneration but it was only there for a short period of time.  At least it shows that they are still tinkering with fundamental mechanics.  

Absolutely agreed on the weather points.  I think they have hinted that rain will play a big role in Livonia but I do not see why those mechanics would be restricted to the map so I say that there is more to come on that front.  

Generally I agree with the comments on basebuilding.

What do you think about the nighttime.  In particular, how do you feel about how the personal player light works and/or is currently  implemented?

Any ideas for changes with respect to vehicles?

-The dead body timer I whould agree could add immersion inland, but on and around the cost we just end up with corpses absolutely everywhere on highpop, which do not add immersion, it just seems silly to me. But the main point here was, when they added the 1 hour player despawn in 1.05, the server performance dropped from pretty good on full pop, to pretty much unplayable even from medium pop and up. It seems it just adds too much stress on the servers, and that is not a trade-off that's worth it.

-On the survival points of new players struggeling with harder survival, you said it yourself, we adapt.  I started playing when 0.61 released (the game was real hardcore survival back then), and I didn't know about the apple glitch (you had to press search for apples on the trees, and it was random if you found an apple or not.. But there was a glitch that could allow you to get infinite apples if you tapped the right buttons when searching)  .. I got my kicked quite a few times from starving the first few weeks, but I learned. I learned where to search for food, hunting animals with just a shit weapon and a couple rounds like you described your experience from DayZ Underground. It was awesome. It was awesome actually fearing starving to death and overcoming it.

Winning a firefight felt so rewarding back then also, because they had a few bullets for some guns, a couple cans of food that you really needed to survive. Not like now where the guy has 5 fully loaded m4 mags, 200 extra bullets and 10 cans of bacon.. And you don't even need anything.

Speaking of DayZ Underground, that is (or was, rather) an awsome server. They have the survival nailed, hard to find guns and ammo, you can't fix guns with fucking ducktape, and you pretty much have to hunt for food. The problem is the basebuilding settings they run have ruined everything. Everyone have a safe stash or a massive base where they have hoarded away all the good stuff, and everyone is just sitting around in their base these days. It's so ridiculously boring. Hiding in their bases when shot at, and just sitting there popping shots, baitng people in. THAT is why basebuilding should not get any better or "balanced" in vanilla.

-The health system in 0.62 was awsome. The health itself was about the same except you didn't limp or slow down when low health, but you had blood and bone damage aswell, and a better shock damage system.

Blood was set to 5000 points max, just like now, but you took blood damage when getting shot. So if you got shot with a .380 pistol round, you lost 500 blood from the hit in addition to getting a bleed wound like now. If you got shot with a .308 sniper shot, you lost 2000 blood from the hit alone, so your screen lost about half the color.

Blood regeneration was REALLY slow, and you had to be max level on both food and water to even start regen'ing blood.This gave the saline and blood bags incredible value, and in addition, you could not apply them yourself, you had to have another person give them to you. This ment you either had to have a friend still alive to help heal you up, or talk to others to get them to help you. It created so many cool situations we simply and sadly don't get now.

Bone damage was for individual sets of limbs and head I think. So if you got hit by infected/players or got shot in the arms or legs, they got weaker and enough damage would cause a fracture. If you had broken arm, you had trouble aiming, and broken legs you had to crawl. You cold heal bone damage with morphine or by making a splint. This also gave value to med supplies and forced you to be prepared for these kinds of situations. It also opened the possibility to break someones legs, and force them to surrender or have a major disadvantage if they didn't. Loads of cool situations from this. If you had bone damage to the head, you could be killed with a single slap from an infected also.

Shock damage was way more into play also, If you had a helmet on and took a round to the head, you could be uncon for several minutes. It just was better, way more diversity in what happend, if you went uncon from a weak rond from distance, you could wake up after 5 seconds.  You also coudn't hear anything when uncon.

I once got into a close quarters fight against two dudes, I had a helmet and pressvest, we blasted each other like no tomorrow and I laid uncon for 15 minutes. When I woke up I was probably 5 seconds away from bleeding out, completely black and white. I patched myself up and saw both of them laying there dead. It was fucking awsome. Stuff like that can never happen now with the current health system.

-Regarding night time, I love that they brightened up the night a bit, but it needs diversity. Some nights should be bright and some should be pitch black when overcast for example. Day and night time cycles needs work aswell, alot of community servers has it set to 4 hours day and 1 hour night, I feel that is a very good ratio.

The personal night light they added is absolutely garbage. It completely takes away the need to use flashlights, and just robs us of awesome night time player encounters and fights. Just make us spawn in with chemlights that can attach to the pants or around the neck or something. The PNL needs to get removed.

Try out Smoke's Survival server, it has the PNL turned off and night time down to 30-60 minutes.

-I have no ideas about vehicles, other than you should be able to jog with a tire in your hands. I never bother fixing up a car because we move WAY too slow with a tire in hands. Same with empty barrels. We should be able to jog.