bent.toe

Severograd freezing and lagging

Everytime i set my foot in that town the game freezes up.

Seems to be poorly optimized. 

Anyone else?

Yes I have noticed frame rate issues and lag when entering large towns and also when aiming down sights in scope mode in those towns to the point of making game not playable.

I noticed this at electro... It was impossible to play with like 1frame per 10seconds sometimes :/

1 hour ago, OilRig said:

I noticed this at electro... It was impossible to play with like 1frame per 10seconds sometimes :/

1 frame per 10 seconds must be a record .. I ain't never heard of ONE frame per TEN seconds on PC.. 

You sure your Xbox is not playing by wifi on a shared ISP home-box with your bro doing something else and your dad watching football at the same time, plus  your sis video chatting ??  That will slow you down, for sure. Ethernet connection ONLY,  to the ISP, definitely. Less devices in the house running different stuff through the ISP box at the same time is GOOD - turn off you antivirus (if Xbox HAS that option), disable auto updates on everything (if Xbox can do that)  and don't run other software while you play..    hey, I'm a PC player, not an Xbox expert at all .. but at least the ISP home bottleneck is the same for all of us.

- just suggesting

Edited by pilgrim*

If any of you are experiencing this kind of frame drops, please report the issue to our Feedback tracker at feedback.dayz.com. If you are new to reporting, please follow this guide.

Edited by ImpulZ
  • Like 1

Bit of frame drop for me in large cities but I've found if you take the time to look into city for a minute before entering and let everything render in it's okay. I'm assuming the games using a system whereby it estimates what to load in by location and direction faced , and scopes take a second as it won't load hi res texture on building far away in town until your zoomed in to save your xbox exploding lol. Just report and it'll get looked at.

• Like 2

On PC there is always some frame-rate drop in cites, but BI got it under control.. has been GOOD for a while. (and the zoom works as TYB says above .. is not a problem)

Also - I live in a tourist region (next to French ski resorts) - out of season I can connect to MANY servers with a ping of 30-50. In the season, in every ski hotel at 5pm (all week) about a million consoles get turned on and my best ping drops to 150-200 (if I'm lucky) .. every server goes red. That's the traffic bottleneck through the ISP's regional servers..   Between 11pm-midnight,  the million local tourists all go to bed and I'm OK again.  

so if you're in a city with 1000 local consoles within a block or so, who all play at the same time of day (they do, right?) - check your ping - try connecting at 6am on Tuesday, or 3pm on Wednesday, or 3 am  - just to see if that makes a difference ??  Then at least you know if you should be looking for other problems, or shouting at your ISP.

• Like 1

@pilgrim*you seem to have zero knowledge of drawdistance, rendering or gpu and graphics memory.

You post long replies with no real logic.

The drops in frames have nothing to do with your internet so please refrain from replying when you have no idea.

You will just confuse forum members.

50 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

@pilgrim*you seem to have zero knowledge of drawdistance, rendering or gpu and graphics memory.

You post long replies with no real logic.

The drops in frames have nothing to do with your internet so please refrain from replying when you have no idea.

You will just confuse forum members.

how long have you been building online games bent? I gave up working for games & tech companies a few years ago, so you're definitely more up to speed than I am. I am perfectly sure of the facts I stated, if they are helpful or NOT, I'll leave to you to decide.   I made it as simple as I could because most of youz have ZERO IDEA how stuff works.

Put in a report to feedback tracker - or give us YOUR suggestion. Make it very simple so we can understand. - thanx for the useful input.

ENJOY

Edited by pilgrim*
(experience is hell, ain't it)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bent.toe said:

drawdistance, rendering or gpu and graphics memory

I'd be AMAZED and GOBSTRUCK if DayZ were BENDING the UTTER LIMITS of Xbox "rendering or gpu and graphics memory".. Are you claiming Xbox cant DEAL with DayZ at 60 frames and has to drop to ONE frame every 10 secs because of the infinite detail and graphics complexity of this MEGA GPU-EATING game ??  - sorry mate, I just cant see that (I try, but I CANT wrap my head round that, I read the MS ads and specs..I swear..) .. DayZ plays for me OK on a 10 year old 2 core PC with a decent graphics card.. You claim Xbox aint even up to THAT standard??   - jeez how much did you pay for it?  I got my PC out of a trash bin 5 or 6 years ago and put a 'new' fairly-high end  GPU in <back then>.

Maybe .. just a suggestion ... the problem is NOT the inability of Xbox to deal with DayZ graphics ?  Will be very interesting if that IS the problem.

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 1

I’ve had a similar issue.

At a couple large cities, tried to scope in using both an ACOG on the M4, as well as ps scope on the AK, and the frames absolutely tanked down to, as you mentioned, 1FP10S. To the point where I initially thought my game froze.

I’m running on an X as well. My team member had the same issue too. Seems to be a rendering issue, if I was to guess.

If I can reproduce the issue again, I’ll fill out a bug report.

• Beans 1

11 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I'd be AMAZED and GOBSTRUCK if DayZ were BENDING the UTTER LIMITS of Xbox "rendering or gpu and graphics memory".. Are you claiming Xbox cant DEAL with DayZ at 60 frames and has to drop to ONE frame every 10 secs because of the infinite detail and graphics complexity of this MEGA GPU-EATING game ??  - sorry mate, I just cant see that (I try, but I CANT wrap my head round that, I read the MS ads and specs..I swear..) .. DayZ plays for me OK on a 10 year old 2 core PC with a decent graphics card.. You claim Xbox aint even up to THAT standard??   - jeez how much did you pay for it?  I got my PC out of a trash bin 5 or 6 years ago and put a 'new' fairly-high end  GPU in <back then>.

Maybe .. just a suggestion ... the problem is NOT the inability of Xbox to deal with DayZ graphics ?  Will be very interesting if that IS the problem.

Bahahaha. I think it's a combination of connection and just unlucky.

2 hours ago, Nayte said:

I’ve had a similar issue.

At a couple large cities, tried to scope in using both an ACOG on the M4, as well as ps scope on the AK, and the frames absolutely tanked down to, as you mentioned, 1FP10S. To the point where I initially thought my game froze.

I’m running on an X as well. My team member had the same issue too. Seems to be a rendering issue, if I was to guess.

If I can reproduce the issue again, I’ll fill out a bug report.

To be fair, DayZ isnt even that big of a GPU hog. I too play on the X, I've only ever seen a few popcorn buildings. Mostly everything renders. Even running along the train tracks past severno I can peak into the city no problem. Same with apartment complex down near electro.

If you really look at games, DayZ isnt even as demanding as this proclamation of 1 frame per 10s. Surely that is an overexaggeration, because, 1 frame per 10s is like brickbreaker on the old Motorola brick phones with the green screens trying to play minecraft or something. 

1 frame per 10s is the equivilant of someone with like an 100k ping trying to walk around. Your screen would literally freeze and not render anything.

Frame drops do happen, especially when loading massive texture packs and residual items. Maybe the worst I've seen is like 25 fps for a split second. The game is optimized to run 30 fps at 4k and 60 fps on 1080p on the X (I believe, since that is most games. I dont know of many that are truly optimized for 60 fps @ 4k UHDR)

But if you consider a game like ark, which on any console or pc is a serious GPU and RAM hog, this is a cake walk.

Anyway, frame drops are an issue. I think all things have been said, however @ImpulZ has stated in a general FAQ on the xbox port that it will be an ongoing investigation/fix/monitor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bombarding said:

Bahahaha. I think it's a combination of connection and just unlucky.

To be fair, DayZ isnt even that big of a GPU hog. I too play on the X, I've only ever seen a few popcorn buildings. Mostly everything renders. Even running along the train tracks past severno I can peak into the city no problem. Same with apartment complex down near electro.

If you really look at games, DayZ isnt even as demanding as this proclamation of 1 frame per 10s. Surely that is an overexaggeration, because, 1 frame per 10s is like brickbreaker on the old Motorola brick phones with the green screens trying to play minecraft or something. 

1 frame per 10s is the equivilant of someone with like an 100k ping trying to walk around. Your screen would literally freeze and not render anything.

Frame drops do happen, especially when loading massive texture packs and residual items. Maybe the worst I've seen is like 25 fps for a split second. The game is optimized to run 30 fps at 4k and 60 fps on 1080p on the X (I believe, since that is most games. I dont know of many that are truly optimized for 60 fps @ 4k UHDR)

But if you consider a game like ark, which on any console or pc is a serious GPU and RAM hog, this is a cake walk.

Anyway, frame drops are an issue. I think all things have been said, however @ImpulZ has stated in a general FAQ on the xbox port that it will be an ongoing investigation/fix/monitor.

Not exaggerating, not even a little. If anything, I’m being generous.

Like I previously stated, if I can reproduce it, I’ll record it and post a report.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nayte said:

Not exaggerating, not even a little. If anything, I’m being generous.

Like I previously stated, if I can reproduce it, I’ll record it and post a report.

Well, if I have learned one thing as a Quality Assurance Testing Lead in my software development project, when I create bugs... which I create a lot of :)....

Creating a clear, concise, informative and most importantly reproducable bug report is the key to getting a DevOps member to fix it. Getting them a cup of chai doesn't hurt your case if it is a top priority bug ;)

• Beans 1

9 minutes ago, Bombarding said:

Well, if I have learned one thing as a Quality Assurance Testing Lead in my software development project, when I create bugs... which I create a lot of :)....

Creating a clear, concise, informative and most importantly reproducable bug report is the key to getting a DevOps member to fix it. Getting them a cup of chai doesn't hurt your case if it is a top priority bug ;)

Get me that chai, and well articulated bug reporting will surely follow...

1 frame per ten seconds sounds way off , that is essentially your screen freezing for tens seconds at a time. That's not frame drops that a total lack of frames, I've suffered frame drops but never lower than 15fps and tbh it's more like frame stuttering. You can see higher resolution textures pop in when you aim down sight into larger towns and this seems to tank performance abit. But to be fair if the game ran higher resolution textures on buildings , objects etc within a certain proximity from you whilst you weren't directly facing them from  the get go the performance would most likely be worse. Still runs exceptionally well to say it's a month out the door though so respect to the dev team for that. And compared to 0.62 it runs like a dream 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nayte said:

Get me that chai, and well articulated bug reporting will surely follow...

Ah but if you get the chai before the bug report fix, there goes my bargaining chip. Gotta dangle it, like a $50 bill on a fishing pole. 

As I proclaim in my office walking around the developers and project managers desks with a tub of chai.... "Senority is irrelevant as he who holds the chai, controls the developers" ;)

Edited by Bombarding

21 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

Bit of frame drop for me in large cities but I've found if you take the time to look into city for a minute before entering and let everything render in it's okay. I'm assuming the games using a system whereby it estimates what to load in by location and direction faced , and scopes take a second as it won't load hi res texture on building far away in town until your zoomed in to save your xbox exploding lol. Just report and it'll get looked at.

Right - the further from your location,  the lower the texture is set: so when you scope in, it's like you have instantly relocated into a whole are that had "distant textures" a moment ago. . There is (on PC) a slight fps effect while the textures are replaced in your scope sight view.. but on PC we are used to that, and it has a "kind of" realism? .. On PC it's an effect players adapt to .. 
I think there are three levels of textures in use - close, medium and distant. 
Going into a city, there is a lot more info in the "close" surroundings than in the country or in a village.  Not only the textures, other info and interactive objects too have to be uploaded to you- [eg that loot doesn't just spring into existence when you lay eyes on it, - it's got to be there waiting for you, the cars are located with open or shut boots and doors, and all that stuff]  and DayZ has to set this up rapidly at your local end. it was always true (a year or more back)  that play in cities dropped the frame-rate a bit,  compared to play out in the country.. BI worked on this a lot, and now I see some folk on PC have started boasting about the frame-rate they get in cities, instead of complaining.

To see if this is reproducible : All you have to do, anywhere.. out in the country too.. is spin around non -stop and look at different stuff, look at the sky look at the ground, look all around 360 fast, different directions,  keep turning, put the scope to your eye and take it away again., get as much of the environment as you can going across your screen all the time in all directions and scope in and out .. see how much your frame-rate drops. On PC you would see a temporary dip. Doing that on PC you CAN definitely drop your frame rate to check the effect, see how low it goes.    But if  doing that drops Xbox to ONE frame every 10 secs. Then that's a problem.. but I WOULD be amazed if you can get it down to that by this method. (if you really can, I don't envy the devs.. rather them than me).

Doing this 'little test' gives you a baseline, and it is reproducible.  (On PC it is a fast check of your rig and your graphics settings - but Xbox are "all the same rig" ) If it is a problem, then go do it in a DayZ city street and see what happens. If you can reproducibility get your frame-rate LOW then report it. Plus estimate how many other players are in your zone, and note the sever cap. (ya know that stuff) if  If a spread of different Xbox users talk about it and report it -  then BI will soon decide if it is a real Xbox problem, or the server software,  and not just one person with a messed up connection or a local ping jumping up and down for some local reason. If you can tell them how to reproduce it, then someone will do exactly that (like; today) and see if it happens.  If it's 'real' they will def have a whole team on it , very fast, very seriously.

So go for it - Anyone know of any other 'similar' Xbox games that have a  "0.1 fps" problem   ?

ps - I guess you know you can use a scope without a gun, as a spyglass.. right? Make life easy on yourselves.

Edited by pilgrim*
take ths under advisement folks: is my POV, nothing more
  • Like 1

On 24.9.2018 at 12:55 PM, pilgrim* said:

1 frame per 10 seconds must be a record .. I ain't never heard of ONE frame per TEN seconds on PC.. 

You sure your Xbox is not playing by wifi on a shared ISP home-box with your bro doing something else and your dad watching football at the same time, plus  your sis video chatting ??  That will slow you down, for sure. Ethernet connection ONLY,  to the ISP, definitely. Less devices in the house running different stuff through the ISP box at the same time is GOOD - turn off you antivirus (if Xbox HAS that option), disable auto updates on everything (if Xbox can do that)  and don't run other software while you play..    hey, I'm a PC player, not an Xbox expert at all .. but at least the ISP home bottleneck is the same for all of us.

- just suggesting

My xbox literally froze up many times for like ten seconds, so it was like 1 frame per 10 seconds... and i use wired connection and I'm the only one who's using it while playing. Btw anyone else on OneX having same issues?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OilRig said:

My xbox literally froze up many times for like ten seconds, so it was like 1 frame per 10 seconds... and i use wired connection and I'm the only one who's using it while playing. Btw anyone else on OneX having same issues?

Yep, same issue as I stated further up in the thread.

I forget which city I was in, I think Elektro. Three of us were in the police station scanning the area while our friend was en route. 

When I used the ACOG or ps1 scope from the tower I hit the frame tank/freeze issue for a solid 30-60 seconds. The dot/iron sights did not cause that issue.

I’m working my way back towards that area to try and reproduce it. Hopefully my friend and I are able to get there later tonight.

Ill provide a clip of it here as well for reference purposes.

• Like 2

@pilgrim* @ImpulZ @Bombarding

I have created a formal feedback report for this issue, though I thought I’d post it here as well for reference purposes.

Here’s the video evidence I said I’d get if the game breaking frame drops/stuttering:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/video/61041055

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/video/61041101

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/video/61041118

As you can see, one point is over a solid minute of a freeze, before the game finally caught up with itself. I’m running the Xbox one x. A friend who has the original Xbox one was able to experience this as well, however it caused a crash to his home screen.

• Like 2

You mean the two vids 6104-1118 & 6104-1101 run together as one sequence = 1 minute with just 1 frame on screen  ..  will be interesting to know what Xbox is DOING for this 1 minute.  <right>  Were you playing on a high pop server?  Is it Xbox One , One S, or Xbox One X?   Did you get into town and up to that floor of the station without any problems?  Players came into your zone and the server  was overdosing to link their info in to your network bubble? Or Xbox decided it had something more important to do than show you the game?  .. I'll just step back and let the experts sort it..

Edited by pilgrim*

10 hours ago, Nayte said:

@pilgrim* @ImpulZ @Bombarding

I have created a formal feedback report for this issue, though I thought I’d post it here as well for reference purposes.

Here’s the video evidence I said I’d get if the game breaking frame drops/stuttering:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/video/61041055

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/video/61041101

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/video/61041118

As you can see, one point is over a solid minute of a freeze, before the game finally caught up with itself. I’m running the Xbox one x. A friend who has the original Xbox one was able to experience this as well, however it caused a crash to his home screen.

Good video, shows exactly what happens to me and my friends several times in the biggest cities.

Maybe now the non-believers in this thread shut up.