Pliskinki

What I expect from BETA Unconscious System

Hello all, I'll remember you all of a concept that has been suggested before, adding it to the context of our actual 0.63 state of updates.

This is the effect I expect from the unconscious state of DayZ:

Now, that you saw how gruesome this effect looks and feels, you know how impacting it is. So let me expand it, using the health systems we saw at 0.63 and how this shock/unconscious effect should come into play in a smooth and neat manner.

Check this image from Status Report of 27th February, displaying to us the hit-boxes of body parts that the new player model actually have.

elPvV1D.jpg

As you can see, we have Spine, Lungs, Liver, Heart and Brain.

We also have the actual Health system which is basically tied to - Health Percentage & the amount of blood your character have.

Finally, with all of this in mind, my suggestion and also my expectation is: Whenever you lethally wound someone. If the damage wasn't done to the Heart or to the Brain, and was enough to drop Health Percentage to 0%, Make it so the character goes into that shock/unconscious state by forcing him into first person view mode only and adding that gruesome effect + sounds then, let him die slowly and painfully by the wound blood loss which should have drain rate as fast as 30 seconds or 1 minute after the limb gets shot.

If the damage was done to the Heart or to the Brain tho, it should keep the cold and solid blackout while popping the iconic "you are dead" message, just as it is when we die now. 

This would be insane if you went down by infected attacks too since the damage infected do are done to either Health Percentage AND the amount of blood, imagine you going down and while seeing the infected screaming and destroying you while your character is struggling in pain and slowly dying... What a sight, what an experience!

Enough of the "dying" moments, use your imagination now, how intense would it be to be saved in such a situation? The immersion and experience would sky rocket, you are there, seeing red all over your screen, struggling to see something because the screen keeps fading, the character out of breath and in heavy pain, infected all around you, every sound has a faint echo to it, then you start hearing gun-shots and all the infected just dropping dead around you, then you hear some Russian guy with a crappy mic talking to you with the echo effects of your state "Comrade I help, get up, lets go!" He then CPR, feed you some food, and then, you are back up and set to go seeing everything faded and black and white. Hell! You just had one of the most immersive situations a game could bring in an online multiplayer environment! Congratulations!

This is not the only situation... After this, people would be way more capable of deciding wether they want to straight up execute the victim, or interact with them by saving them and doing whatever they decide to do.

You can see this system reproduced in many modern games. From Rust, to PUBG, to Post Scriptum(Head shot to finish someone, body shot to just drop them, enabling them to be revived by someone else). Every single one of you reading this, are probably familiar with it, but I firmly believe that none of them is able to reproduce this system in the strong, intense and gruesome manner that DayZ probably is capable of delivering with Enfusion Engine and 0.63 now.

So please devs, make my dreams come true. I want this experience in DayZ.

Edited by Pliskinki
formatting and typos
  • Like 5
  • Beans 1

Some of my most intense memories from the early days of the mod were getting knocked out and waking up to infected eating off my body in black and white.

I would definitely like to see more types and depth of unconscious states with the DayZ SA health system.

Tasers and other less than lethal weapons were discussed in the past by the devs, so we know they have put a fair amount of thought into some aspects of unconsciousness.

• Beans 4

I really like your suggestion, but it should be only 30 sec or maybe more to revive someone (only if hitting not badly parts such as heart brain etc), if this will be implemented but has very bad balance, then it literally kills the real authentic DayZ experience because this game isn't PUBG or Fortnite.

But yeah appart from that, being znconscious with this implementation like in the video would be super appreciated!

Edited by Raptor97

I would immediately press respawn, that takes me too long otherwise

Edited by forty_two

Yep! The game can use a bit more grit. Take note from Red Orchestra 2. 

1 hour ago, forty_two said:

I would immediately press respawn, that takes me too long otherwise

oooooh - not a plaayer

I am very curious how the whole health / damage system (and diseases) will be finalized. So far, it still looks a bit rough, but the fact that the module "unconscious" is not finished yet, gives hope for more than just a simple black screen with the note "You're unconscious".

I hope it will be worth .... to wait and hope that maybe a miracle will happen to you ... even if it is 10min. or more, Respawn is just an option for me when your Dark-black-screen it says, "You are dead".

Modern neuroscience believes that with unconsciousness you cannot have focused sensory perception.  Being able to partially see, hear, or understand what's going on is NOT being unconscious.  Being practical, you'd probably be describing your assailant to your teammates in discord.

I've experienced sudden unconsciousness in real life and it wasn't anything close to what you're expecting.  There's no immersion while unconscious.  That seems ridiculous to me.  A black screen, without audio, that instantly says "you are unconscious" seemed the most authentic representation.

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

Modern neuroscience believes that with unconsciousness you cannot have focused sensory perception.  Being able to partially see, hear, or understand what's going on is NOT being unconscious.  Being practical, you'd probably be describing your assailant to your teammates in discord.

I've experienced sudden unconsciousness in real life and it wasn't anything close to what you're expecting.  There's no immersion while unconscious.  That seems ridiculous to me.  A black screen, without audio, that instantly says "you are unconscious" seemed the most authentic representation.

completely agree.

The complete unconsciousness includes what we know so far. However, I believe that the "modul part" of unconsciousness is about different levels of inability to act. Serious damage will bring you to levels of dizziness and delirium, to utter loss of consciousness. Breaking a leg or an arm is one thing, injury to the torso is another.

Breaking a leg if you are already very struck will have bigger consequences than if you hurt yourself in the best condition. I suspect this is about it.

14 hours ago, Parazight said:

Imho OP isn't saying otherwise.

40 minutes ago, Blafirelli said:

Imho OP isn't saying otherwise.

OP is suggesting to make the following change...

Make it so the character goes into that shock/unconscious state by forcing him into first person view mode only and adding that gruesome effect + sounds 

I'm saying to leave it as is.  As we have it in .62.

OP is making a suggestion because of the following reasons...

that gruesome effect

(subjective)

This would be insane

What a sight, what an experience!

how intense would it be

The immersion and experience would sky rocket

(all subjective)

then you hear some Russian guy with a crappy mic talking to you...

lolwut!?

You just had one of the most immersive situations a game could bring in an online multiplayer environment! Congratulations!

I firmly believe that none of them is able to reproduce this system in the strong, intense and gruesome manner that DayZ probably is capable of delivering

(more subjectives)

OP suggests we change the unconscious state to be like in the video.  I'm saying that it's not authentic at all and to leave it as-is.

imho

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

OP is suggesting to make the following change...

I actually understood it, he's talking about the "shock" part.

Of course, being unconcious and still having sensoric activity would be silly proposal :)

Edited by Blafirelli

2 hours ago, Blafirelli said:

I actually understood it, he's talking about the "shock" part.

Of course, being unconcious and still having sensoric activity would be silly proposal :)

He's talking about when you die, not when your shock value goes critical.  

Whenever you lethally wound someone. If the damage wasn't done to the Heart or to the Brain, and was enough to drop Health Percentage to 0%, Make it so the character goes into that shock/unconscious state by forcing him into first person view mode only and adding that gruesome effect + sounds then, let him die slowly and painfully...

The above quote led me to believe that the OP wants to replace the current unconscious state with this death cinematic. 

Instead of inducing this 'death movie' we have a mechanic where the screen goes to black/white then you just lose consciousness.  Many times you will lose so much blood that you go unconscious, but it's not lethal. 

So let's say that something only mildly bad were to happen.  You black out in a fist fight.  You go unconscious, but aren't in danger of dying, right?  What if some guy comes around after you lose your boxing match and fills you with 5.56 rounds, all limb shots.  You bleed out and die quickly.  So do you magically become conscious and enter the death movie?

I dunno. This suggestion sounds messy and narrow now.  Perhaps Pliskinki could clarify.

3 hours ago, Parazight said:

He's talking about when you die, not when your shock value goes critical.  

The above quote led me to believe that the OP wants to replace the current unconscious state with this death cinematic. 

Instead of inducing this 'death movie' we have a mechanic where the screen goes to black/white then you just lose consciousness.  Many times you will lose so much blood that you go unconscious, but it's not lethal. 

So let's say that something only mildly bad were to happen.  You black out in a fist fight.  You go unconscious, but aren't in danger of dying, right?  What if some guy comes around after you lose your boxing match and fills you with 5.56 rounds, all limb shots.  You bleed out and die quickly.  So do you magically become conscious and enter the death movie?

I dunno. This suggestion sounds messy and narrow now.  Perhaps Pliskinki could clarify.

It indeed seems we both understood Pliskinkis suggestion in a completely different way. Some clarification would come in handy :)