Sign in to follow this  
Toxmose

Some questions

Hi all,

So I have been playing DayZ for about 32 hours now and have some questions left:

1) I already know that Hardcore has to do with only the 1PP being used, but does is include other difficulties? I have read some things about less loot, server times, day time going faster so it is harder to navigate on stars/sun, faster starvation, etc. But these are posts from 2013/2014. What is the actual deal here?

2) If a server states that it is Hardcore, how do you know that all the other players are playing in 1PP? Or is 3PP always disabled on hardcore servers?

3) Some servers state ''veteran'' in the title. What does this mean? Is it the same as Hardcore or is this to warn new players that this is a server for more experienced players?

4) What exactly is PVE? I know it means Player vs Environment, but what does that mean? Do you only get to eat stuff from fishing/hunting/farming? Can you eat canned food? Are you supposed to kill all Zeds you run across? Is it forbidden to shoot at people as a PVE'er? So basically: what are the guidelines for playing as a PVE character?

Hope you guys find the time to answer these.

Cheers, Tox

1 hour ago, Toxmose said:

snip

Hardcore difficulty is bullshit. Only harder thing is first person.

Veteran difficulty doesn't exist. Bullet to the chest from .308 will kill you either on normal or "veteran".

PVE is bullshit. I tend to go to PVE servers just to kill other players. On some PVE servers you get banned for PVP. There is no way to turn off zombies, so you can do whatever you do in PVP but in PVE you just can't kill players. You eat,gather food in same way as normal PVP server.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Just Caused said:

Veteran difficulty doesn't exist. Bullet to the chest from .308 will kill you either on normal or "veteran".

PVE is bullshit. I tend to go to PVE servers just to kill other players. On some PVE servers you get banned for PVP. There is no way to turn off zombies, so you can do whatever you do in PVP but in PVE you just can't kill players. You eat,gather food in same way as normal PVP server.

Funny how with reading one post from you I already know I don't like you.

PVE is not bullshit, it's one way to play the game, it's personal preference. So yes Toxmose in principal on a PVE server you don't fight other players unless really necessary. In an ideal situation you would actually create alliances with other players. If you want to survive by just fishing, farming or hunting is up to you. If you want to eat cans that is fine too. Some players will impose rules on themselves to make the game more challenging. Players like Just Caused is simply a player who is selfish and can't understand that players sometimes have different tastes, and because he doesn't understand he likes to ruin the fun for others.

On hardcore servers 3pp is indeed not available.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Just Caused said:

You tend to use the word bullshit a lot it seems, but thanks for your reply.

17 minutes ago, nl said:

PVE is not bullshit, it's one way to play the game, it's personal preference. So yes Toxmose in principal on a PVE server you don't fight other players unless really necessary. In an ideal situation you would actually create alliances with other players. If you want to survive by just fishing, farming or hunting is up to you. If you want to eat cans that is fine too. Some players will impose rules on themselves to make the game more challenging.

So you basically make your own rules in PVE, depending how hard you want to make it for your character so survive, right?

But I'm confused: ''you don't fight other player unless really necessary''. Why would this be necessary? (let's assume there are no people doing PVP on the PVE server). Would it be ok to punch another player unconscious to steal his food? Or what do you mean exactly?

7 minutes ago, Toxmose said:

So you basically make your own rules in PVE, depending how hard you want to make it for your character so survive, right?

But I'm confused: ''you don't fight other player unless really necessary''. Why would this be necessary? (let's assume there are no people doing PVP on the PVE server). Would it be ok to punch another player unconscious to steal his food? Or what do you mean exactly?

Yes you can create your own rules in this game, of course some will not play according to your rules ;) You could play PVE on a PVP server if you like, may add extra tension when you know most other players will try to kill you and you try to avoid them. On private servers the admins may make rules and may ban you if you don't follow them. There are also "role playing" servers where you have to create and stay in character, these are usually adminned strictly.

You may come across a player like Just Caused on A PVE server ;) Well on all servers there will be players who don't care about "PVE only", so you would still have to approach them with care and may still be fired upon.. I can also imagine that when you come across a camp and start taking stuff for your own survival but you get caught by the owner you may have to defend your life. If you want real PVE you could consider going to a whitelist server (you only get access based on your IP and sometimes a monthly money contribution is required more or less insuring the player base will not kill you because they would get banned and lose their character and money. Example of a whitelist PVE server you can find here: http://dayzdukes.com/index.php

• Like 1

As mentioned before, the only difference between hardcore and regular is the view perspective.

Server titles that have "triple loot" or "no loot" or "extra heli crashes" or "friendly PVE only" or anything that draws your attention is just carnival barking. Server admins do not have the ability to increase or decrease the amount of loot, spawn or restrict crash sites, or prevent malicious people from joining their servers. Admins can however, password their servers, whitelist (you have to apply to enter) their server, and enable or disable persistence (items you collect will survive restarts). Some server admins are more active than others and are more likely to respond to reports made by players such as assassins on a PVE friendly servers, but be well advised, it does not provide you with a hazard free environment. Someone can kill you on a PVE server just as easily as if it were a PVP. There's just a higher likelihood that the offender could be banned. But you would have to die to make the accusation.

Don't drink the koolaid! Be alert no matter what server you join. Player interaction is dictated by the players not the admins. 

EDIT: sorry if I repeated NL, He posted while I was typing.

Edited by Judged_Guitly
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Toxmose said:

1) I already know that Hardcore has to do with only the 1PP being used, but does is include other difficulties? I have read some things about less loot, server times, day time going faster so it is harder to navigate on stars/sun, faster starvation, etc. But these are posts from 2013/2014. What is the actual deal here?

Hardcore is Normalcore. Softcore is Babycore.

2) If a server states that it is Hardcore, how do you know that all the other players are playing in 1PP? Or is 3PP always disabled on hardcore servers?

You don't know. 

3) Some servers state ''veteran'' in the title. What does this mean? Is it the same as Hardcore or is this to warn new players that this is a server for more experienced players?

It means the server's seen some shit.

4) What exactly is PVE?

Boring.

• Like 1

Some servers have rules for how you should play on that server, the rules may be PVE, RP(roleplay), No KOS etc. The only servers where this actually apply are whitelisted servers where you have to register to be able to play on teh server. if you then break the rules you can be kicked or banned. On normal non-whitelisted servers the rules do not really apply as anyone can break them and do what they want. Typically, a server with a "No KOS" rule will very likely be plagues by people only doing KOS, just to annoy everybody else. Yes, people are like that, don't ask me why. 

If the server is stated in teh server list to be 1PP, the 1PP is forced. But a server having the word Hardcore in the title doesn't guranteed it being 1PP. Its easy to check once you get in the server though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rags! said:

You don't know. 

Boring.

wow, i forgot how funny you are, some never learn do they. be nice.

Edited by AmberHelios
  • Like 1

Veteran is a term used to define HC settings in other BI games (ArmAII / III and has no place in DayZ at this time.
It generally means no crosshairs / first person only and no map markers (players) and is server side enforced therefore not allowing 3PV.

PvE is an effort by server admins to promote a player friendly environment that which may or may not be adhered to by some of the less respectful amongst us.

Edited by Brokenbones
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Rags! said:

You don't know. 

Boring.

This IS the new players forum sub thread. So if you think that my questions are stupid or hilarious, you can laugh, but you sure don't need to bother answering them for me.

Good doggy.

Edited by Toxmose
  • Like 1

I still think hardcore is called like that, because your guy breathes like hardcore after five minutes of running. Seriously - did anyone else notice how much louder you breath in first person? I almost hear nothing else. It's literally the only thing I dislike about 1p. My friends drive me fucking mad by refusing to play 1p, so I only do it alone - which is a nice diversion, too.

Even with the lame ass infected that hang around the map now, it can be scary fun to cut a corner in Berezino only to bump right into an infected. Of course the noise bug, where you think they are somewhere else doesn't help either ^^ I've had some jump-scares that way, also when bumping into other players. It's more intense on 1p and I kinda get into it more than with 3p. 1p/hardcore is a bit more annoying when running, because of the panting, but also because it's nice to see yourself in the world in 3p. Makes the hike shorter somehow. 

I recommend playing both. It just means you have 1 more character to waste. You can make a character on any private server, but then you can only play there. You can go public and switch between either public 3p/1p or public 1p (hardcore). Only one character per option is possible. Personally, I like to have my public character on a 3p server, since I play the game more with friends than alone. But a nice hardcore server with maybe some people you can chat to, goes a long way. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3

See now I thought PVE meant player vs everything :-)  I never really understood why some server owners label their servers with all sorts of silly stuff like "no eating people server" "No fishing server" "No driving too fast server" "No leaving garbage at the campground server" When you have a couple tents hidden away in the mountains full of gear and food, you can play anyway you want as you sneak through the trees and have bonfires at night on the top of the mountain and sing old zombie songs. Of course when you go down to town you have to follow the city folk rules and try not to upset others with your axe. If this were a zombie apocalypse, how would we really act I wonder? I would act the same way. I would sneak around undetected as much as I could, horde everything into some cave way in the mountains where there was fresh water. Hide the entrance to the cave and lay booby traps everywhere and eat anything that fell into them :-P~~~~ avoid contact with others, unless it was a lost hungry woman being chased by zombies. You meet a couple guys with fur coats that seem nice, they say the right things and help and offer food and show you a nice place to hunt and you feel a sharp pain in your back and you feel dizzy.................you dream you are being dragged through the forest by two strangers with fur coats.

Edited by Excanto

On 4/4/2016 at 2:59 PM, nl said:

Funny how with reading one post from you I already know I don't like you.

PVE is not bullshit, it's one way to play the game, it's personal preference. So yes Toxmose in principal on a PVE server you don't fight other players unless really necessary. In an ideal situation you would actually create alliances with other players. If you want to survive by just fishing, farming or hunting is up to you. If you want to eat cans that is fine too. Some players will impose rules on themselves to make the game more challenging. Players like Just Caused is simply a player who is selfish and can't understand that players sometimes have different tastes, and because he doesn't understand he likes to ruin the fun for others.

Too bad, I don't like you too. Wanna kiss now?

As long as PVE has friendly-fire ( you can shoot humans ) it's considered PVP, and you'll get killed on PVE servers by humans.

7 hours ago, Just Caused said:

Too bad, I don't like you too. Wanna kiss now?

As long as PVE has friendly-fire ( you can shoot humans ) it's considered PVP, and you'll get killed on PVE servers by humans.

Like I said, it's a choice you can make as a player. Just because you CAN shoot someone does not mean you HAVE to shoot.