Furman (DayZ)

Suicide - add safety measure

Let me start this suggestion by a short storytime.

Today I have accidentally killed myself.

Yes, you've read it right here.

I've been glad of my all loot, the fact that I've had most of the things I wanted. And then I have tried to take a screenshot with my buddies.

And guess what happened?

I missclicked - I've had something like, I don't know, three seconds at best for reaction. Pressed plenty of other animation keys and tried to press wasd keys, but it proved too late - I have shot myself with my bloody AKS-74U right in front of my comrades.

AND MY QUESTION COMES HERE

WHY ON EARTH NOBODY HAS COME WITH AN IDEA TO ADD ANY FORM OF SAFETY TO SUICIDE OPTION IN GAME WHERE YOU CAN LOOSE 10 HOURS OF WORK IN A MERE MISSCLICK AND THREE SECONDS?

Like, Jesus Christ, we have the option to pin the grenade, before throwing it, but we don't get a dialogue window saying "End this" or anything similiar like this?

Please, for the love of God, this probably is not much work to do, but putting safety measures should be really considered in situations like this.

Real life rifles have safety catch, here he we have nothing.

tkAwIMI.jpg

TL;DR

add safety dialogue window to F12 suicide option

• Like 1

Not a bad idea :)

But don't you have to actually press the mouse down to pull the trigger? You should notice yourself going into the suicide animation, just keep your hands off the mouse at that point. Unless I'm wrong, I don't think it's honestly anyone's fault but your own, not to be rude.

• Like 1

But don't you have to actually press the mouse down to pull the trigger? You should notice yourself going into the suicide animation, just keep your hands off the mouse at that point. Unless I'm wrong, I don't think it's honestly anyone's fault but your own, not to be rude.

It is my fault, I do agree. Guns without safety on them might have gotten someone hurt back in the times too, it was still their owners fault. All that I want to do Is to just try to point out the lack of safety in here, for my own and probably other players safety, you guys don't really want that to happen to you. (or I'm just mistaken, and due to some slight lag which I've been experieng, my try to quickly drop the weapon was read as an actual shoot command if there is a need to actually pull the trigger)

But don't you have to actually press the mouse down to pull the trigger?

Yes, you do have to press Mouse 1 to pull the trigger. The animation doesn't kill you, it still requires that input from your side.

Should you want to pose for a picture next time, Just empty the chamber and load an empty mag into your weapon.

• Like 3

Yes, you do have to press Mouse 1 to pull the trigger. The animation doesn't kill you, it still requires that input from your side.

Should you want to pose for a picture next time, Just empty the chamber and load an empty mag into your weapon.

Sadly I have seen news stories of people that should have heeded the same advice and unloaded their weapon before posing for a selfie with it ..... definitely sound advice.

There IS a 'Safety' to suicide.  You press the button, then you have to press another button to actually do the act.

Edited by BigMike

Considering how the animation takes, like, 20 seconds to finish, is very deliberate ( you CAN'T hide what you are doing) and requires actual player input to "carry out" ..... no, the game doesn't need a "safety measure" for suicide.

The problem, in this case, was between chair and keyboard. 

" Oh shit guys, I am entering the suicide animation! Quick, someone google how to get out!"

Problem solved

you randomly mash keys with an automatic weapon in your hand?

Not  just with the weapon in his hand, when it is pointed at his own head

:rolleyes: 

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

I wish it was out of the game , so i don't have people racing back to there body and jumping back in a gun fight two min after they die. I mean yea if you want to jump off a building that is fine. But with a knife in every house and now the Rag glitch it's out of control. I mean isant that why they took out the stone knife and ocean water suicide out because it was way super fast to just suicide. There making it way to convenient to get right back in the fight. Wait till these horrible bicycles get in the game , God Help Us All.  Why don't we just teleport back to our body and save them the trouble.

• Like 1

I wish it was out of the game , so i don't have people racing back to there body and jumping back in a gun fight two min after they die. I mean yea if you want to jump off a building that is fine. But with a knife in every house and now the Rag glitch it's out of control. I mean isant that why they took out the stone knife and ocean water suicide out because it was way super fast to just suicide. There making it way to convenient to get right back in the fight. Wait till these horrible bicycles get in the game , God Help Us All. Why don't we just teleport back to our body and save them the trouble.

Whats wrong with bicycles? Bicycles are quiet and don't need batteries or spark plugs and you can get shot while riding one. I like bicycles.

Whats wrong with bicycles? Bicycles are quiet and don't need batteries or spark plugs and you can get shot while riding one. I like bicycles.

Suicide by bicycle is a terrible thing and players should only sometimes make jokes about it:

1 ) The animation is really grim (adults only)

2 ) They don't have safety catches

Edited by pilgrim

Suicide by bicycle is a terrible thing and players should only sometimes make jokes about it:

1 ) The animation is really grim (adults only)

2 ) They don't have safety catches

Are we talking about killing yourself using a bicycle or using a bicycle to travel between locations?

• Like 1

Are we talking about killing yourself using a bicycle or using a bicycle to travel between locations?

Indeed - for In the past, wise men taught that Life and Death are two different Locations

That is hilarious.

Yeah, a pop-up message saying "are you sure" could be nice, but then I guess that's what you clicking the mouse button is.

But still. Incredible.

• Like 1

Indeed - for In the past, wise men taught that Life and Death are two different Locations

Yes they are. In life there is bicycles, in death there is not.

• Like 1

Yes they are. In life there is bicycles, in death there is not.

Ah! - the Force is Strong in this one ...

Around sunset in Stary Sobor, or by a campfire up on Green Mountain survivors tell traditional tales:

A man went to his friend and said "Lend me your bicycle! In the market place I met Death who made a sign to me, so I wish to ride as quickly as possible to Samarra, to escape from him"

This man did not know that between Life and Death there is less distance than the thickness of one hair. But Samarra is completely off the map.

So his friend said "No problem I will lend you my bicycle. Please write a suicide note first, because this is traditional. And it is a good bicycle but difficult to clean afterwards. Yet there is one thing you must do for me."

"I shall do as you wish"

"You must not ask any living creature why there is an F12 key on the handlebar."

"Why, my friend?"

"I cannot reply - but Death will tell you when you reach Samarra:  Death has many bicycles."

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Around sunset in Stary Sobor, or by a campfire up on Green Mountain survivors tell traditional tales:

A man went to his friend and said "Lend me your bicycle! In the market place I met Death who made a sign to me, so I wish to ride as quickly as possible to Samarra, to escape from him"

This man did not know that between Life and Death there is less distance than the thickness of one hair. But Samarra is completely off the map.

So his friend said "No problem I will lend you my bicycle. Please write a suicide note first, because this is traditional. And it is a good bicycle but difficult to clean afterwards. Yet there is one thing you must do for me."

"I shall do as you wish"

"You must not ask any living creature why there is an F12 key on the handlebar."

"Why, my friend?"

"I cannot reply - but Death will tell you when you reach Samarra: Death has many bicycles."

I don't know how suicide by bicycle got into a thread about a guy who pressed the wrong key but you got some writing skillz. Please go write a book.

• Like 1

you randomly mash keys with an automatic weapon in your hand?

I don't know how suicide by bicycle got into a thread about a guy who pressed the wrong key but you got some writing skillz. Please go write a book.

Sorry - I used to be ok and fairly sane for a survivor  but then I started going up Green Mountain alone at night... ya know?;.. then one night ...

it all started off normal. ..

but ... OK..

I guess you don't need to know about THAT

Back on topic:

I agree with Red_Ensign

Or get a screwdriver and lever the key right out of your keyboard and put an X of red tape over the hole, and don't ever point guns at your own head, and if you think you are about to DIE by your own hand do not "mash the keyboard" to see if anything good happens, and learn in a game what the keys are for before you press them. And if you think you are making a terrible mistake remember to ask someone before you do it, never forget you have a mobile phone, a house phone, Google, Skype, Medics of The Wasteland, the DayZ forums,the Dayz Wiki, youtube, friends around the house, your kid brother, or one of HIS friends, DayZtv, DayzDB, and Twitter. AND if you DO make a terrible mistake remember < you will always know better next time >

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Or  ... you know , take responsibility for your own safety, and disable suicide in the keybinds until you really want it ... just saying.. save the devs a little work...

Btw its F11 then Left mouse Click.. Not just F12 =Dead...