OrganGrinder

I finally got my wish :)

The wolves are complete nonsense. In real life wolves don't attack humans.

Umm.. dude?

History lesson maybe ? Reality check ..

1.Wolves are predators .

2. We are not . ( take away our tech , we have no sharp fangs , no stamina , no horns.) we are prey animals basically  

3. If you doubt 1 and 2 , I invite you to visit Alaska , to play and run with the wild wolves on their turf . I'm sure you will make great friends . 

FYI I've owned pet wolf mix and pure wild Coyotes before. To even say they can be tamed is a bit of a stretch . They can be somewhat domesticated , But they are always wild , and will only respect you IF you maintain an Alpha stance with in your little pack. 

Its obvious in DayZ humans are no longer the A-Pex predators in the world. Zombies took us down a few notches already. And as any camper,hunter,bushcraft survivalist will tell you .  With out our nifty little toys , when in the woods, we aren't sht . Any wild predator that has not learned to fear us , will eat us . And why not. According to cannibals , we basically taste like pork. And dogs do love them some bacon,.

Personally I wouldnt fear wolves as much in DayZ as WE should also fear wild hogs. They hurt more people each year than wolves do , 

• Like 2

Umm.. dude?

1.Wolves are predators .

2. We are not . ( take away our tech , we have no sharp fangs , no stamina , no horns.) we are prey animals basically  

3. If you doubt 1 and 2 , I invite you to visit Alaska , to play and run with the wild wolves on their turf . I'm sure you will make great friends . 

FYI I've owned pet wolf mix and pure wild Coyotes before. To even say they can be tamed is a bit of a stretch . They can be somewhat domesticated , But they are always wild , and will only respect you IF you maintain an Alpha stance with in your little pack. 

Its obvious in DayZ humans are no longer the A-Pex predators in the world. Zombies took us down a few notches already. And as any camper,hunter,bushcraft survivalist will tell you .  With out our nifty little toys , when in the woods, we aren't sht . Any wild predator that has not learned to fear us , will eat us . And why not. According to cannibals , we basically taste like pork. And dogs do love them some bacon,.

Personally I wouldnt fear wolves as much in DayZ as WE should also fear wild hogs. They hurt more people each year than wolves do , 

I agree with you on small terms. Humans are smart as hell. Without our tech, yes we are more susceptible to attack and aren't nearly as dangerous. .

But humans will always be ONE of the most dangerous things out there. With any intelligence, a human would improvise and sharpen stones, branches, and FIND A WAY TO SURVIVE.

Otherwise, none of us would be here today as our ancestors would have been killed by the much larger and more dangerous animals. Intelligence sometimes beats the odds.

Ehh try not to give any care to the naysayers Jonathan , these guys are so freaking butthurt that their favorite game dayz has taken so long so they will say anything to get people's panties up in bunches . These guys are just truly frustrated people with no real sense of potebtial or where it lies ... If you don't like this "staged ai" (not really staged , free float cameras used all the time , and players will be added in masses when they start publicly testing the animals , THATS when the optimization comes , not before you fucking goof ball ) then go have fun playing h1z1 or one of those crappy top down zombie survival games , where the Wolves get stuck in trees and doors , and the Bears are literally the dumbest fucking ai I've ever seen ...

Ya all you naysayers can't say much now that you've seen how much more qualitative these predators are compared to your crap games that you swore up and down were better simply because they threw in a ton of half baked content at the earliest stages of their alpha? Welcome to this thing called dignity and talent , the dayz devs have it , and I wanna say almost every single developer of zombie games out there don't (except for 7DTD and Project ZOmboid, but then again look at those graphics , could you play those games for years on end ? I couldn't ...)

What I want to say really , to not put it nicely anymore , is go fuck yourselves naysayers , you and you're friends are gonna be crying when this game comes to full fruition because all the while this game was being made all they could do was bitch bitch bitch wah wah wah game is taking too long devs don't have priorites straight - the reality is though , these are the ONLY devs I would trust doing an open alpha , and especially of this grand scope . I just can't wait to see what bullshit comments people will make the game is fully finished and just blows people's minds away : they will probably still complain of how long it took to come out and disown the game for that sole reason . So sorry naysayers , but this fan boy don't care about your whining anymore cuz we're getting close to the beta and I'm here to say for the first time in my life : FUUUUCCCKKKKK YOUUUUU!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32AeDLzHmTw

• Like 1

I agree with you on small terms. Humans are smart as hell. Without our tech, yes we are more susceptible to attack and aren't nearly as dangerous. .

But humans will always be ONE of the most dangerous things out there. With any intelligence, a human would improvise and sharpen stones, branches, and FIND A WAY TO SURVIVE.

Otherwise, none of us would be here today as our ancestors would have been killed by the much larger and more dangerous animals. Intelligence sometimes beats the odds.

That was my point,  For those moments in game , when our ability to craft items , hasnt been taken advantage of ..  WE are squishy sacks of pork chops. 

I can already envision the over all change in game play something like this will bring. 

Imagine for a moment, that poor new spawn who decided to spawn , and run directly to a military base for assault rifles or to meet up with friends.  Yea.. hes dead now. 

Or that guy who broke his leg falling out a tree stand. 

The guy who ran out of ammo fighting off a bandit and a few zombies, escapes to the woods for cover and safety, WOOPs .. They are dead too now. 

Or the hermits who hide away out in the woods fishing, growing plants and admiring all the horded loot they have in a tent. Go AFK to pee now? 

But mostly , think of all the ones who have never learned how to play this game with out being fully decked out in military gear.. Never mastered melee, or archery . Never learned to live with out the top tier gear. 

I imagine situations where wild predators will be ideally suited for picking off the players who are not ready to go into combat with full autos. I dont foresee taking on a wolf pack with a sharp stick and pistol with only 6 rounds left in it . 

After hanging out on experimental a bit , I have seen hints of content that could and probably will in the end result in a very hard to survive world. 

Just imagine if you will , when things like Stamina and weight and new body damage movement reductions really come into effect .  

I twisted my ankle just a week or two ago on experimental running along a river bed. I foresee in the future something like that drastically reducing my movement speed, which could turn really bad when you factor in zeds, players, And predators .

Ehh try not to give any care to the naysayers Jonathan , these guys are so freaking butthurt that their favorite game dayz has taken so long so they will say anything to get people's panties up in bunches . These guys are just truly frustrated people with no real sense of potential or where it lies ... 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32AeDLzHmTw

I've always wrote them off as butt hurt PvPers, who still only want to see DayZ as an out of balance PvP game. Like so many of the mod servers turned into . 

Anything survival related , gets negative feed back from them,. 

Edited by J0nathan
  • Like 1

No, I'm saying that if the game isn't fixed it will never play that way.  That is on a LAN with one player on the server and a couple scripts running.  Nothing else. 

Not as in, they edited the video like they edit movie trailers to make them look like something they are not.

Got it.  I don't see much in the video that is wildly beyond the capacities of the game.  Zeds hear noises and look in the direction of them before deciding what to do.  Animal AI already has alert-levels built in (relaxed, cautious, alert, fleeing) and animals already are in herds and move as herds, so pack movements shoudln't be a stretch.

Sure, it was a carefully composed set of interactions in the vid but it is a far cry from something that "will never play that way" IMO.  It will prolly take a while to get there though, I'll give you that.

• Like 1

That was my point,  For those moments in game , when our ability to craft items , hasnt been taken advantage of ..  WE are squishy sacks of pork chops. 

I can already envision the over all change in game play something like this will bring. 

Imagine for a moment, that poor new spawn who decided to spawn , and run directly to a military base for assault rifles or to meet up with friends.  Yea.. hes dead now. 

Or that guy who broke his leg falling out a tree stand. 

The guy who ran out of ammo fighting off a bandit and a few zombies, escapes to the woods for cover and safety, WOOPs .. They are dead too now. 

Or the hermits who hide away out in the woods fishing, growing plants and admiring all the horded loot they have in a tent. Go AFK to pee now? 

But mostly , think of all the ones who have never learned how to play this game with out being fully decked out in military gear.. Never mastered melee, or archery . Never learned to live with out the top tier gear. 

I imagine situations where wild predators will be ideally suited for picking off the players who are not ready to go into combat with full autos. I dont foresee taking on a wolf pack with a sharp stick and pistol with only 6 rounds left in it . 

After hanging out on experimental a bit , I have seen hints of content that could and probably will in the end result in a very hard to survive world. 

Just imagine if you will , when things like Stamina and weight and new body damage movement reductions really come into effect .  

I twisted my ankle just a week or two ago on experimental running along a river bed. I foresee in the future something like that drastically reducing my movement speed, which could turn really bad when you factor in zeds, players, And predators .

I've always wrote them off as butt hurt PvPers, who still only want to see DayZ as an out of balance PvP game. Like so many of the mod servers turned into . 

Anything survival related , gets negative feed back from them,. 

Agreed Jonathan - these environmental pressures -- IF they are put in -- are what will make this game legendary in the end.

And for all those country kids out there . Like myself , Who KNOW what its like to ride your bike down a road while being chased by that one guys  dogs biting at your ankles and tires.. WE will FINALLY have a game that simulates that momentary horror lol. 

Wolf packs chasing you on your bike.. Hitting a wild hog on your dirtbike causing you to flip off and crash.. 
Looting a house to come out and get charged and chased by a pistoff bull ? YESSSSSSSSS

All while avoiding zombies wanting to eat your face, and psychopathic murdering looking to shoot anyone who moves..

Trying not to starve to death , or break a leg walking over rocks, Being forced to walk for miles through high danger zones cause your packing too much gear back to camp.. 

THATs what DayZ is all about ,. 

The wolves are complete nonsense. In real life wolves don't attack humans.

Depends. Wolf-Dog mixes are illegal where I live, as is owning a wolf because once they lose their fear of humans(and the mixed breed tend to not have the fear to start with) they can be very dangerous and will attack humans. That being said I've come face to face with wolves(once from about 10 yards away) multiple times and they have not attacked. The one that scared me most was the one that was in our wilderness neighborhood. He would follow people walking down the road, skulk around houses, and was NOT afraid of humans at all. I actually loaded the shotgun and kept it handy until animal control finally got around to coming out and checking him out.

They outright shot him instead of trapping and moving him to a different area as he was completely unafraid of humans and likely to attack one.

Umm.. dude?

1.Wolves are predators .

It doesn't matter what kind of apex predator they are, they are extremely afraid of humans because they recognize them as intelligent beings. Do a little bit of research, wolves will not even come close to humans 99% of the time. Now I could see if the dev team made it so that if you are in a tired injured state the wolves would attack you but in the trailer it looks like they always attack you whenever they see you which is complete bs and has nothing to do with realism.

Edited by V-K

Oh, alright! I get you now :) I thought you were arguing the opposite point haha.

Thanks for clarification.

This is so cool, thanks OP for posting the link.

Looking forward to much more. This also might go good, if coding is open for AI.

For one thing, wolves blindly chasing people should not be blamed on the disease. It was never said to affect animals in what little lore the game has, and it's kind of stupid to blame half baked AI on something like that. That's the same as saying the reason everyone's character gets thirsty so fast is that they're all diabetic. For another, I don't want the wolves to be a super major threat out in the woods. They should be a concern if you're a hermit or if you're injured, but if you're charging through the woods with a group of 10 guys, they should run away, not attack, which is what I'm pretty sure they're gonna end up doing once they're implemented. They look like they're just gonna be zombies in wolf form, which is disappointing. I'd say if you're by yourself and/or bleeding in the woods, you should have a better chance of a wolf pack attacking. If you're with a large group, they should run away and generally keep their distance. Also, gunshots should scare them off, and maybe swinging a melee weapon in their direction should scare them as well. I hope the wolves act as another way to discourage the hermit playstyle and encourage players to work together. This is supposed to be a survival game, not CoD with survival aspects sprinkled in, so I'm happy that they're making the environment a bit more of a threat. After all, in a real zombie apocalypse, I'd be rolling with a group, not hiding in my lair by myself counting how many guns I have in my secret stash of military gear.

I can't wait to watch a bunch of infected chase a herd of cows towards a pack of wolves and see who will win ^^

• Like 1

Umm.. dude?

Uh, no. Complete nonsense. Humans have been on top of the food chain since we invented fire ( 400,000 years ago, during Homo erectus) , and the development of pointy sticks only cemented our place on the top.

We have easily the most-lethal form of natural weapon ever evolved right in our heads: the human brain. Using our brains alongside our opposable thumbs, we are capable of building weapons capable of killing mammoths. You can't "take away" knowledge. Even the most untrained of people recognize that even a stick, swung like a club, is more lethal than teeth or claws, and serves as a better weapon.

Humans are fucking murder machines. We have been on the planet for easily 500,000 years, and literally 99.9% of all species are flat-out terrified of us. 

We aren't a prey species. We are, in fact, apex predators (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apex_predators#Terrestrial_2). While animals might certainly eat humans ( I am not denying that),  no species has a regular habit of eating human beings. None. We aren't "preyed on" by anything, and haven't been for at least 400,000 years.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 3

-snip-

Ah, yes, the attack of the "terrifying pet store rat" trope!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TerrifyingPetStoreRat

I like how the dogs are actually fucking ecstatic to be there. You can see one's ( more than one, if you look closely) tail wagging happily away. They are having a grand ol' time, and are looking forward to those treats from their handlers for a good scene.

You know its a good day when you clear all of Electro and cherno with nothing but a bow and Derringer 
Paw6uv4.jpg

Was NOT as easy as you would think. 
This gun has no reload animation , and I think they altered the aim on my bow. Kept missing my head shots 

Edited by J0nathan

Yeah humans are definitely apex predators.  I'm with herro on this. Even monkeys/Chimps/Gorillas don't have the average defense/offense phenotypic expression like horns claws etc, but they don't show much trouble when it comes to tearing their prey's limbs clean off.

You can generally tell a lot of an animal by the facing of their eyes and the inside of their mouth/teeth/jaw.  All the rest is gravy.

Also, i'm still not completely happy with animal AI at the moment.  Haven't played for a while though.  The last time i found a herd of cattle i think in .58, i chased them literally back and forth with a stone knife.  I've been told everybody in the herd follows the lead/alpha, and if it gets stuck everyone will stall too.  This didn't happen.  I literally ran backwards and forwards between two identical points where the cows would about face, maybe 5minutes running between points, for near on 30 minutes trying to hack at them with my stone knife. 

I wouldn't mind catching a kick to the face or something occasionally, but yeah, the AI still needs work.

Hello there

I dont see the video as completely staged. Im sure elements may well have been such as the placement of the "groups" and the scaring off of the deer.

One can emulate this scenario (roughly) in Arma2/3 in the editor. The end result will be similar but it will never play out in the same way 100 percent.

I've worked on several Alpha/Beta "promo" videos from different games to know how they are generally done (IMHO) and this one doesnt look like a complete fabrication.

I think depending on the AI factors in play that this is pretty much the behaviour we will see on a day to day basis of player/Animal interaction. Look at games like Skyrim (with mods) one can see quite an interesting ecosystem at work with their wildlife and some semi realistic behaviours as well.

I think this is all well within the AI teams capabilities.

Im really interested to see more of their work as an SP kinda guy Id like to see more of a PvE experience when modding hits and their stuff is key to that experience.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 1

Im really interested to see more of their work as an SP kinda guy Id like to see more of a PvE experience when modding hits and their stuff is key to that experience.

No worries, I got you covered .

Just waiting for the horses to get released and I already have a major overhaul mod planed for an entirely new map i've been working on for ages .

• Like 1

Only players the first day of offical release, from the "OMFG, dayz is doomed 5000max players" thread we buried days ago!!!

I am laughing at every single one of them....

• Like 1