Sign in to follow this  
97ADU Doug

Another Hive Wipe for 0.59...? If so why?

Ill keep it short for now cause its very late here. But essentially, iv been told that the 0.59 update to stable will be yet another hive wipe.

Why??

Will this be the new norm?

Every time a new patch is released it will feature yet another hive wipe? Im not going to rant on about it because I;m more curios than irritated.

(screw it mini rant anyway why not)

But in all honesty, whats the point of setting up huge community camps with everything from cars, to a community camp fires where we can all sit and sing Kum ba ya, if its continuously wiped?

Its also hard to continue playing the game after finding out there will be a wipe, Kinda removed the thrill of surviving.

Imagine if the world would be ending tomorrow. Not really going to live out your final hours like you would live out any other day. More likely to go do something crazy for the heck of it. Suffice to say, yoloing into cherno with a full geared character due to an incoming wipe has lost its appeal. Im more likely to just stop playing until after the wipe.

Anyway, does anyone know if this will be a regular thing? Every patch from now on will be a wipe? Maybe only wipe public servers? Idk, if thats the case it might be best for me to take a 10 year break and come back after that when the games in beta (sorry couldn't help myself :P )

If iv been misinformed disregard all the salt featured above ^^^^

Salty Samon awwwaaayyyy!!

PS: I play on a private hive, with strict duping bans, so I haven't found any duped mags weapons, camps etc. If duping is still very much widespread, that's a fair enough reason for a wipe, is it still widespread? still curious if that's the case, will each patch wipe regardless of duping from now on? Cheers

Edited by 97ADU Doug
  • Like 1

This is literally the meaning of alpha , not trying to sound like a broken record , but it literally is why the huge "I accept" words are where they are at the start of the game ... If you don't want to deal with wipes , unfortunately the only way to do that is to wait for full release D: !

• Like 11

You're going to get hit with all the "muh al..."

Nevermind. You already did.

Look, the way I see it it's worthless to play or rather "test", special dedication for the "muh alpha" crowd, because they'll just announce a wipe just like that and you can't do anything about it. Hell, so far each time they announced a wipe I just dropped the game, not that I actually played this that much lately, and amused myself with something actually worth my time. As far as I've seen I haven't even seen an explanation either as to why they're wiping AGAIN but I guess who cares at this point and even if they can just come up with whatever. I mean I did see sense in wiping when they introduced new "high tier" weapons, which wasn't really that justified anyway, but now they seem to be doing it just because they can and I'm not exactly happy with this as you'd propably guessed. Not to mention this is going to become vaporware not before long if they keep up this pathetic development pace.

Also, as per your suggestions, keeping private hives intact would at least bring down the collateral to player numbers slightly.

Another player described this to me in game in a different form. - It's like when you die, you lose all your goods on your character. Do you stop playing then?

No? Then keep going.

Every new patch means MORE stuff to play with, a return of Infected to Stable (which is awesome), cars, and better bug smashing - Overall creating a better game for you and others to play.

• Like 3

its really not that difficult to understand--update, systems/mechanics change, trying to eradicate a bug/duping or whatever--will from time to time necessitate a wipe, regardless of what type of software it is....

the community demands updates/performance/bug fixes and then cries when it involves a wipe, which historically has been infrequent--like twice? if they are wiping its because they need too. its not because they want you to comment about it because they have nothing better to do

oh...and nothing can become (it either is or isnt) "vaporware" ....by definition vaporware is something that never existed physically...so no, it wont.

In the computer industry, vaporware (also spelt vapourware) is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled.

Edited by thznutz
  • Like 1

You're going to get hit with all the "muh al..."

Nevermind. You already did.

Look, the way I see it it's worthless to play or rather "test", special dedication for the "muh alpha" crowd, because they'll just announce a wipe just like that and you can't do anything about it. Hell, so far each time they announced a wipe I just dropped the game, not that I actually played this that much lately, and amused myself with something actually worth my time. As far as I've seen I haven't even seen an explanation either as to why they're wiping AGAIN but I guess who cares at this point and even if they can just come up with whatever. I mean I did see sense in wiping when they introduced new "high tier" weapons, which wasn't really that justified anyway, but now they seem to be doing it just because they can and I'm not exactly happy with this as you'd propably guessed. Not to mention this is going to become vaporware not before long if they keep up this pathetic development pace.

Also, as per your suggestions, keeping private hives intact would at least bring down the collateral to player numbers slightly.

Lol

This is literally the meaning of alpha , not trying to sound like a broken record , but it literally is why the huge "I accept" words are where they are at the start of the game ... If you don't want to deal with wipes , unfortunately the only way to do that is to wait for full release D: !

still doing the dad'gum thing i see...commendable sir...beans for you

to answer the original post, the hive will be wiped due to duping/loot cycling/hacked weapons that have completely destroyed the loot economy within the game.

They will likely continue with wipes as they tweak loot spawn/item count etc throughout development.

• Like 4

Here is the most likely explanation. 

Right now one of the things they are working on and testing is loot distribution. The are working on their central loot economy and to gather data untainted by people having stockpiled ammo/mags/guns from various loot explosions that happened earlier they have to wipe the server and the 20 60 round Stanag mags someone has stashed in a barrel/tent. At one point I couldn't check a deerstand without finding a Hunting Scope in it. 

Since they are working on also doing a area based loot distribution they also have to wipe out all the SMGs found in the Berinzino police station as they might end up making them more rare there and more common the further inland you go. 

So until they have figured out their loot distribution I assume their will be regular wipes. On top of that any old school player will tell you straight out, "This is DayZ son, don't get attached to your stuff!"

Edited by Mercules
  • Like 1

Lol

How eloquent. Figures though. Wouldn't expect anything more from the likes of you. Keep on riding that "muh alpher" dream though. It'll surely do you good.

But disregarding this how is this in any way comparable to dying in the game? Sure, you lose the stuff on your character but what if someone has a stash? The whole point of that is to have a fallback point in the event of death, which supposedly should be avoided as this is supposed to be a survival game but that's a whole completely different topic, and I honestly don't see how big the loot economy changes should be to warrant a wipe. Wiping everything does away with exactly that - having something to fall back to. I can't imagine when, or rather if, base building is in the amount of rectal ragnarok in people and rightfully so. I'm almost certain this is not the case this time. Just some minor tweaks that wouldn't really impact the current state of loot.

I love when they wipe the hive. Creating new character is best part of the game for me. This stable build is up for two-three months old, I think people had enough fun with their mega camps.

• Like 5

How eloquent. Figures though. Wouldn't expect anything more from the likes of you. Keep on riding that "muh alpher" dream though. It'll surely do you good.

~snip--pointless

I'm almost certain this is not the case this time. Just some minor tweaks that wouldn't really impact the current state of loot.

i can almost see you-- eyes gloss over, softly muttering "but i want, i want...." while drool rolls down your chin--does this happen every time you have to contend with the fact this product is still in alpha? "muh alpha"? it a simple fact, just accept that fact, it'll surely do you good.

i didnt see you credited as a Dev? how are you almost certain of anything regarding development? just some minor tweaks? glad to see abject stupidity isnt being completely monopolized by the Ark forums. congrats!! do you have a  Dev statement regarding how minor the change is moving .59 to stable? would love to see that shit...

Edited by thznutz
  • Like 1

While I disagree with the mantra "don't get attached to your gear" cause it goes completely against the immersion of survival instinct...

U must be new to dayz cause they have wiped almost every major update... Now and then u get a couple patches without a wipe.. I have been playing a couple years almost and can say there must have been at least 8-10 hive wipes..

Has to be done and I normally just take a 6 month or more break cause I don't like having to start from scratch right away but would rather come back when there is a decent amount of new content.

The more discouraging fact to me is that we are still in alpha and only at 59.....just wish it's get to 1.0 so I could actually care about playing long term.

Ill keep it short for now cause its very late here. But essentially, iv been told that the 0.59 update to stable will be yet another hive wipe.

Why??

Will this be the new norm?

Every time a new patch is released it will feature yet another hive wipe? Im not going to rant on about it because I;m more curios than irritated.

(screw it mini rant anyway why not)

But in all honesty, whats the point of setting up huge community camps with everything from cars, to a community camp fires where we can all sit and sing Kum ba ya, if its continuously wiped?

Its also hard to continue playing the game after finding out there will be a wipe, Kinda removed the thrill of surviving.

Imagine if the world would be ending tomorrow. Not really going to live out your final hours like you would live out any other day. More likely to go do something crazy for the heck of it. Suffice to say, yoloing into cherno with a full geared character due to an incoming wipe has lost its appeal. Im more likely to just stop playing until after the wipe.

Anyway, does anyone know if this will be a regular thing? Every patch from now on will be a wipe? Maybe only wipe public servers? Idk, if thats the case it might be best for me to take a 10 year break and come back after that when the games in beta (sorry couldn't help myself :P )

If iv been misinformed disregard all the salt featured above ^^^^

Salty Samon awwwaaayyyy!!

PS: I play on a private hive, with strict duping bans, so I haven't found any duped mags weapons, camps etc. If duping is still very much widespread, that's a fair enough reason for a wipe, is it still widespread? still curious if that's the case, will each patch wipe regardless of duping from now on? Cheers

My best advice for you is to become optimistic and use these wipes to your advantage.

If you have a fully kitted character with all sorts of goodies, your super-objective is to keep all of your stuff. But if there was a wipe and you are a simple, bare-bottom bambi then your super-objective is to grow, adapt, change - become the greatest. Life is about striving towards something, not holding on to whatever you've already achieved.

When you are wiped, which will happen many, many times, just tell yourself "here we go again" and get out there and have fun!

Edited by therandomredstone
  • Like 2

we have to have a wipe, not everyone is in experimental. Plus more gets added and the database will be damaged. We are forced to accept these wipes from time to time.

I know it can be a pain, but get used it to.

Put some love out there to the Dev's once in awhile.

• Like 4

I honestly don't see how big the loot economy changes should be to warrant a wipe. 

Which is probably why you are a game player and not game developer. First thing you learn with computers is "garbage in = garbage out". It the current DB is bloated with misbegotten loot or erroneous dropped loot from errors prior to changes you can not test those changes with the corrupted DB. You have to start with a clean slate so your data means something. . 

• Like 1

To flush the old information from the servers?

Because the same reason you should do defrag and clear your temp files from time to time?

Because software.

Wow, people are still complaining / curious about all the hive wipes? They are necessary to the development, and longevity of DayZ. 

• Like 3

Eh, should have figured the mouthbreathers and/or apologists would come out in full force. Yes, the "muh alpha" is a convenient explanation isn't it? Just like it is convenient for the devs to do whatever the fuck they want with their "game" and this doesn't really only affect DayZ. But whatever.

Trolls be gone.

Hive wipes are just one of those things we all have to deal with, but you already knew that, didn't you...

MOTD...

Don't get attached to your gear...

• Like 3

Eh, should have figured the mouthbreathers and/or apologists would come out in full force. Yes, the "muh alpha" is a convenient explanation isn't it? Just like it is convenient for the devs to do whatever the fuck they want with their "game" and this doesn't really only affect DayZ. But whatever.

LOL mouthbreathers.

if you've got a stoma that's your problem.

But seriously... Does your microsoft word save multiple copies of previous files, or is it the last time you press save that leaves the imprint?

Do half you 'why' guys actually know how basic coding works, like have you even played with Python or Matlab or something?  Have you used graphics based software before, or word processing programs?

May be a waste of text, but seriously guys, it's a pretty silly question to ask why they don't still have outdated and useless information from multiple versions back on a finite memory server bank...

And that's just the tip of the issue as to why it gets done.

• Like 1

Erm, yes? Alpha IS a PART of the explanation and the Devs CAN do whatever they want with THEIR game. Good to see you're coming around to how these things work.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

There's a few reasons to wiping, one being to get rid of the duped gear as the devs try to make it even harder for the exploiters to dupe their gear, other reasons would include but not limited to removing spawned in gear by these pesky cheaters, removing items that are not needed in a particular build. I hate to be "that guy" but as so many others have said already in here and in many different posts, it's Alpha these things are to be expected, at the end of the day, we're here to help build DayZ not play it as a finished product.

Also to the guy who thinks getting to v1.0 means we're out of Alpha and into the Beta, you're sorely mistaken, Hicks himself has already stated that these version numbers are nothing but numbers and doesn't really mean anything in regards to Alpha or Beta builds.

Edited by RagedDrew

I so look forward to these posts, especially since there will be umpteen more wipes, and more tears for me to drink. So salty..... so delicious..... gives me strength...

• Like 1