Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

[Clarification] DayZ Server Monetization

nfFQmxN.png

Can we get some clarification on what the below bullets mean exactly?

• Selling of in-game items, that don’t affect gameplay, and selling of cosmetic perks are allowed. (Applicable only to servers with mods, after modding support has been added to Dayz)
  • Associated perks that do not affect gameplay

If this means donor loud-out and servers like Freakin Fred's (http://bit.ly/1OQI5GG) mod servers that sold cars for 10 bucks each (which turned into repo squads being funded to destroy those cars so people had to buy new ones is coming back) the death of DayZ is on the horizon.

SOURCE: http://www.bistudio.com/monetization/

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

nfFQmxN.png

Can we get some clarification on what the below bullets mean exactly?

• Selling of in-game items, that don’t affect gameplay, and selling of cosmetic perks are allowed. (Applicable only to servers with mods, after modding support has been added to Dayz)
  • Associated perks that do not affect gameplay

If this means donor loudest and servers like Freakin Fred's (http://bit.ly/1OQI5GG) mod servers that sold cars for 10 bucks each (which turned into repo squads being funded to destroy those cars so people had to buy new ones is coming back) the death of DayZ is on the horizon.

SOURCE: http://www.bistudio.com/monetization/

It just means that if you "hand over" anything ingame to players who have donated to your server, it should not affect gameplay.

• Like 1

Not sure if i'm reading it right, but:

Charging access and limiting access to paying players is allowed, but if a donation scheme exists, those players not donating cannot be barred from entry.

Seems mutually exclusive terms?  Wouldn't the fact that being barred from a server due to non-payment be a complete effect on gameplay?

This should stoke the fires of the 1pp only public-(official) conversation a little.

Out of interest, does BI benefit financially as a percentage of income from these transactions?

Edited by q.S Sachiel

So which items don't affect gameplay ?

(just asking)

xx

• Like 2

Out of interest, does BI benefit financially as a percentage of income from these transactions?

Nope.

• Like 1

Guys, this is for private servers. The ones you pay double for, and can lock, monitor etc.. Please dont confuse public to private.

If you code your own server and charge rights to it, its perfectly within the scope of BI rules. Its the same for Arma 3 guys....

• Like 1

Hmm,

Still: open wording and to a degree what i'd consider conflicting.

Was more interested from a liability / complicity standpoint (hypothetical) but it does appear BI still needs to give 'approval' before a server can be monetised, so there is a degree of involvement other than the actions are taking place within their property.

Not a fan of 'monetisation' factors like product placement or advertising, particularly if they're in the game not just some welcome screen on server boot.  From the silly New 'N Tasty to the more blatant but maybe benign TF2/CSGO factors, i'm also wondering what BI stands to make from opening this up, save for perhaps ensuring servers stay up longer and maybe generate more servers as a result - and reap the rewards from server rentals if that's what happens - but if that's the mentality it will come at a cost if not only slight, of in your face marketing.

Servers already have silly white text out there like 'i feel itchy in my pants' etc...

It just means that if you "hand over" anything ingame to players who have donated to your server, it should not affect gameplay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, does that mean that donor load-outs will be legal as far as BI is concerned?

There is still a line of ambiguity in your reply. Is anything ingame reserved to whats part of the game itself or does that include mods? Like if someone makes custom 3D models, can those be handed over for a donation?

Edited by Weyland Yutani

donations, charging for access to the server is the same thing. Its very hard for bi to control this.

They are better selling copies then getting in the middle of it.

Stealing others code well that's a whole different ball game.

btw hi Smoss :)

Edited by TheSneakyDude

NOOooooo don't feel that way loveafair :(

there still will be vanilla hardcore servers. Private might go a different step, depends on what they add.

Modding is huge, and attracts tons more players.

Look at it this way, when the game starts to loose its flavor, mods brings it back to life. Without modders it gets stale after awhile.

Have you tried arma 2, or 3 yet? it maybe not your game but mods brought out the life of the game. It was rather dull vanilla arma 3. At least i felt that way.

(just asking)

xx

empty cans maybe ?

2 dollars per empty can sounds good

Edited by Sperglord

Notice it is ONLY on modded servers once modding is allowed. Cosmetic items could be as simple as a different character skin, a baseball cap with your clan tag on it, or something similar. Non-game affecting is harder to define since in DayZ as it exists having a face mask on could be the difference between being cold or being okay. 

Maybe at some point custom armbands might be possible and thus you might be able to pay to start with a particular color so your clan all runs around with the same color or pattern. 

There are four approved (at this time), pretty limited in scope as this is all very new and will no doubt be worked on and developed as modding is introduced.

Clarification will also come in due time as things move on.

Much needed, imho.

• Like 2

(just asking)

xx

Hello there

Very few (if any) vanilla items do not affect gameplay.

This is for modded stuff and for post release to ensure there's no P2W.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, does that mean that donor load-outs will be legal as far as BI is concerned? Yes.

There is still a line of ambiguity in your reply. Is anything ingame reserved to whats part of the game itself or does that include mods? Like if someone makes custom 3D models, can those be handed over for a donation? Also yessir; this includes modded items.

• Like 1

There are four approved (at this time), pretty limited in scope as this is all very new and will no doubt be worked on and developed as modding is introduced.

Clarification will also come in due time as things move on.

Much needed, imho.

Hello there

Very few (if any) vanilla items do not affect gameplay.

This is for modded stuff and for post release to ensure there's no P2W.

Rdgs

LoK

Correct me if I'm wrong, does that mean that donor load-outs will be legal as far as BI is concerned? Yes.

There is still a line of ambiguity in your reply. Is anything ingame reserved to whats part of the game itself or does that include mods? Like if someone makes custom 3D models, can those be handed over for a donation? Also yessir; this includes modded items.

Thanks for the posts and replies!  :beans:

Sweet. DayZ goes P2W before it goes Beta. I'm impressed.

I think you might need to go over the whole BI document again, friend.

That said, and in addition to the public (official) server plans, I do hope that both public-public and public-official servers remain open in sufficient capacity to cater for the player base, should the majority of private servers adopt monetisation practices.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

Sweet. DayZ goes P2W before it goes Beta. I'm impressed.

P2W? How so?

• Like 2

I'm more in favour of BI's primary commitment to DayZ being making it playableized and workingized. Once they have achieved that, they can concentrate on povertizing the user base.

• Like 1

P2W? How so?

does that mean that donor load-outs will be legal as far as BI is concerned? Yes.

So you tell me how pre-buying a custom loadout of gear, food, weapons, ammo and vehicles doesn't disadvantage the non-paying plebs spawning in with a match and a wet lettuce leaf?

• Like 1

This is absolute BS. Now every little money grubbing server owner with switch their public server to private and want something for nothing. Good bye, Dayz is gone for good. Hey, post apocalyptic game goes "post apocalyptic".