SMoss

Status Report - 26 Nov 2015

In addition to this - regional loot control is being prepared for internal testing. CLE functionality is present, and the designers are now working with a fairly versatile new tool allowing them to set location types, regional areas, and even more - with rapid flexability. In addition to allowing us even more precise control over the in-game economy, this should also be a huge tool for mod authors.

Nice SR again!

On Exp .59 spawned in items are deleted/replaced within a short time (under 1 hour if my tests are correct) without any player interaction. I guess this only a first implementation and not the final behaviour - can you give us any information how this cleanup should work and when a more tuned in cleanup timing should be implemented?

What work / progress is exactly being done toward resolving the continuing dual core and low end system issues? 

I thought that this was resolved in the latest EXP update?

Hi,

1) Well.. BE is not the best anti-cheater at the moment as we can see a lot cheater playing / destroying the game..  Devs are thinking to work with another anti-cheater ?

2) New animations system will help to combat hackers / cheaters / scripting ?

Hi Brian

1. Have you considered "fake death" animation and "imitate zombie walk"? Just imagine what situations it may bring.
  2. Do you plan to introduce boats? Craftable?
  3. Helicopters now have much complex maintenance\repair\setup, but will they be more complex to fly compared to Arma? Any chance to see ToH flight model?
  4. Hands get bloody. Will clothes get bloody too and washable? May be other stains besides blood (oil, fuel,)?
  5. Will the player hands or face get just dirty, not just bloody?
  6. Any plans on adding sleep to restore stamina quicker, to heal wounds or fractures faster etc.?
  7. Will we be able to use car batteries for other electricity needs? There are inverters that make car battery generate full 220-240 volts. The car can act as a fuel generateor as well.
  8. Will zombies be grabbing players, trying to bite their neck and make them fall to the ground, instead of punchung and tearing?
  9. Have you considered a soccer ball? A fully physics enabled ball to play football\soccer on those great football field in Chernarus? Basketball? Hitting a zombie in the head with a good throw of a basball?
  10. Will we see bandages on the players body parts? Bloody bandages?
  11. Have you considered player corpses degrade? Skeletons in Cherno! Take a skull of your enemy to your base, put it on a pole.
  12. Why we can use animal guts, bones etc for crafting, but we can only eat human meat from player corpses? Human body has much more useful bones than wild boars.
  13. Is it possible (after killing a driver) to keep the steering and throttle as it was at the moment of death, so that vehicle turns speeding to the side, opposed to unrealistically heading straight decreasing speed?
  14. Have you considered making a binocular react to a mousewheel as a focus tuning as in real life?
  15. Will we ever be able to hide under beds or in those wardrobes? Alien Isolation style.
  16. Any chance we could possibly be able to get over much higher fences and walls? Escape through windows?

Thank you in advance. And thanks for DayZ :)
Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail
  • Like 20

Hey Brian,

Last week you commented on a post on Reddit regarding a concept involving overrun survival camps as dynamic events. I'm curious to hear whether you actually did discuss the idea over a coffee, and if so how did the thoughts go?:)

Hi Hicks, thanks for another QA.

First off, I'd like to say, amazing work with the recent 0.59 experimental builds. I logged 400 hours between 12/13 release and 4/14. I'm coming back from a long break since then and it's nice to see how far CLE, persistence, zombies, vehicles, and desync have come. I could ask a million questions, but right now my main ones follow:

1) Despite how great of an experience the current 0.59 exp is, the extended night-time and accelerated day-time really detracts from it in my opinion. Will you be tuning the day/night cycle for experimental any time soon? Why not 1 hr real time = 2 hr game time, so that a 12 hr session mimics a full day in-game?

2) Will the 12 hr up-time we see in 0.59 experimental be enforced in stable when it gets pushed, or will it be dependent on the admins' choice for that server, similar to time acceleration? The constant restarts really break immersion and I didn't notice much of a performance hit with the 12 hr duration in experimental.

3) Are there any plans for giving players a queueing system for entering a server that is filled? And when are 75-man servers making a return?

Edit: I just realized this question was asked in your QA last time and you said:

This was pushed out just a bit - still in progress, but some other tasks were bumped in priority. (Server perf, player position sync, etc)

Any updates since then on the development of the queuing system? If not 0.59 stable can we hope for something in 0.60 exp?

4) As is currently stands, the throwing physics in-game consists of a mixture of old and new tech, which still results in a very crude placeholder system. When will we see a newer more robust system taking over the legacy stuff? It is still near impossible to tell where an object lands when you throw it with the current system.

5) How is work going on the updated ambient sfx? When can we expect to see this implemented? Will this include a fix for hearing the ocean from across the map?

6) What is the current vs planned status for randomizing door states, gun conditions, and chance of ammo spawning with guns? 

7) We saw a sneak peak of the motorbike recently. Any plans for the return of the non-motorized bicycle from the mod? What about skateboards, scooters (motorized or not), or other small mounted methods of getting around? When boats come in, will there be motorized AND non-motorized options?

8) How would you like the idea of players being able to man a handcar on the railroads for an alternative means of getting around the map? I think it's time we put the tracks to good use!

handcar.jpg

9) How is internal work on the new ui and server browser going? When can we expect to see more updates on those from the design team? The performance enhancement is great but functionality-wise and aesthetically they are still very lacking.

10) Currently you can fall off of a set of stairs, hurt your leg and foot, and ruin your pants (and everything inside of the pants) and shoes. Are there any plans for distinguishing between fall damage and weapon damage? I understand the leg and foot hurting if you fall, but I don't think it should always result in ruined pants and shoes.

11) Any chance to get a spawning system that lets you choose a region but still adds randomness to where in that region you spawn? It's god awful trying to meet up with newbie friends now. I feel like you can give players some control over where they spawn and still not entirely sacrifice the random nature of exactly where.

12) On that note, are there any plans for expanding upon the current armband technique for improvised buddy systems in-game to keep track of friends or represent your clan?

13) Any news on player-controlled regions and how that would affect spawning?

14) Right now, the current player migration behavior being instilled is spawning on the east/south-east coast and heading inland towards the northwest. Does the team have any plans for re-incentivizing visiting the northeast ? Any plans to spruce up the lackluster east coast so it's not just a marathon sprint to Berezino or Elektro?

15) Any plans for implementing player mental states like in Project Zomboid? I'd be interested in seeing a player need to sleep, have interactions with others, smoke cigarettes, or play mini-games like darts to retain sanity.

Edit: I saw a question about sleep being answered with a NO from you:

6) Definitively no. Sleep seemed like an interesting idea - but it just put the player in too many situations we weren't comfortable with. That said, Enforce Script should EASILY allow modders to do just that!

I am interested to hear your thoughts on those other things, however. Mental states like panic might make your heart beat fast and have high chance to faint or something in a fight, or reduced player interaction maybe making you hallucinate.

16) When will things like flu and accompanying symptoms like fever/chills join the two diseases currently in the game?

Cheers!

Edited by bcharlez

Hi Hicks I have a question: Will body armour in DayZ ever function realistically (as DayZ is aiming for simulation), or is it down to the modders?

The reason I say this, is because firstly: armour such as helmets and plate carriers (assuming they have metal plates in them) should be able to indefinitely absorb low caliber bullets, such as .22, and currently they become ruined after a few shots which realistically would only scratch them.

Secondly, a "bounce" mechanic would be realistic - if a bullet hits your helmet at too high of an angle (ie: the top of your head is poking just out of cover and the bullet hits the very top where the armour is at the highest angle), the bullet would ricochet and do little/no damage (perhaps some shock). This could well also apply to chest plates; if you hit someone's chest armour at an angle, it should do nothing and just ricochet.

These ideas would add a whole new level to PvP in game, while also being realistic and increasing the value of high-grade military gear. Perhaps even separating metal plates from the plate carrier and making them extra rare to balance them or something similar. Thanks.

Edited by WH4LE
  • Like 1

Have you considered a soccer ball? A fully physics enabled ball to play football\soccer on those great football field in Chernarus? Basketball? Hitting a zombie in the head with a good throw of a basball?

Throwing items to cause damage would be nice.

Hi Brian

1. Have you considered "fake death" animation and "imitate zombie walk"? Just imagine what situations it may bring.
  3. Helicopters now have much complex maintenance\repair\setup, but will they be more complex to fly compared to Arma? Any chance to see ToH flight model?
  4. Hands get bloody. Will clothes get bloody too and washable? May be other stains besides blood (oil, fuel,)?
  6. Any plans on adding sleep to restore stamina quicker, to heal wounds or fractures faster etc.?
  7. Will we be able to use car batteries for other electricity needs? There are inverters that make car battery generate full 220-240 volts. The car can act as a fuel generateor as well.
  8. Will zombies be grabbing players, trying to bite their neck and make them fall to the ground, instead of punchung and tearing?
  9. Have you considered a soccer ball? A fully physics enabled ball to play football\soccer on those great football field in Chernarus? Basketball? Hitting a zombie in the head with a good throw of a basball?
  11. Have you considered player corpses degrade? Skeletons in Cherno! Take a skull of your enemy to your base, put it on a pole.
  12. Why we can use animal guts, bones etc for crafting, but we can only eat human meat from player corpses? Human body has much more useful bones than wild boars.
  13. Is it possible (after killing a driver) to keep the steering and throttle as it was at the moment of death, so that vehicle turns speeding to the side, opposed to unrealistically heading straight decreasing speed?
  14. Have you considered making a binocular react to a mousewheel as a focus tuning as in real life?
  15. Will we ever be able to hide under beds or in those wardrobes? Alien Isolation style.
  16. Any chance we could possibly be able to get over much higher fences and walls? Escape through windows?

^Answer this Brian!!

• Like 2

Hi Brian,

With the introduction of vehicles, ragdoll and now the sneak peak we got into global physics for all objects, I wonder if the 'sliding' could be adressed.

Dead bodies sliding of slopes, vehicles behaving like they are driving on ice. Overall there seems to be a lack of friction in Chernarus :) - since I can't recall this being adressed yet I would like to know what the issue with this is. Is it fixable? At what stage of the engine will this be fixed?

And talking about dead bodies:

1. Will we see (semi) persistent dead bodies in the forseeable future? Nothing compares to the feeling you got in the mod when you stumbled into a heap of dead bodies. Trying to reconstruct in your mind how the conflict went down and the fear that came over you, when you realised the killers might still be around.
  2. Will we also see bodies go trough different stages of decomposition? Untill they disappear after their final stage?
  3. Will eating corpses, or wounded be added into the zombie AI? Another thing I miss from the mod. 

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Looking forward to the answers.

Edited by Azimov
  • Like 2

Regarding the 'physical door support'... Any chance of going back to randomizing the door states on a server restart? People are lazy and most towns & cities have become entirely open doors, sprint through & loot... While this has problems such as players expecting a door to stay closed between restarts to hide a stash in a building, I think it was better for over all game-play. 

At a stretch, could it be possible to randomize the state of a door on restart if player's haven't interacted with the door for some amount of time?

Not sure what the best approach is here, but I'm certainly not a fan of seeing all the doors open all the time and everywhere.

Hi Hicks I have a question: Will body armour in DayZ ever function realistically (as DayZ is aiming for simulation), or is it down to the modders?

I've wore the anti-stab vest with success. I took a couple hits from the infected without a scratch. Don't know if this was due to the vest or desync. Felt like it was the vest. 

I am just curious to know when we can begin to expect some genuine performance improvement (as the engine moves away from RV).

Thanks.

Hello Brian! We are rent two servers on multiplay game servers and created a site(and spent a lot of resourses) with statistic and top of players for check cheaters as fast as possible, yesterday multiplay banned our servers for "using logs to create top of players and clans", but online top is a simple way to detect cheaters! They are right? And what we could to do?

Edited by ime42

Mr. Hicks,

I hear a lot of conjecture about the new engine. Could you briefly go over what Enfusion is and what, if any, parts of Enfusion are currently in Stable/Experimental? Will the switch to the new engine be gradual or will it be all at once when the tech is ready. Thanks!

Regarding the 'physical door support'... Any chance of going back to randomizing the door states on a server restart? People are lazy and most towns & cities have become entirely open doors, sprint through & loot... While this has problems such as players expecting a door to stay closed between restarts to hide a stash in a building, I think it was better for over all game-play. 

At a stretch, could it be possible to randomize the state of a door on restart if player's haven't interacted with the door for some amount of time?

Not sure what the best approach is here, but I'm certainly not a fan of seeing all the doors open all the time and everywhere.

Maybe make doors react like loot or something. After x amount of time it will 'respawn' and respawning the door will randomly set the state open or close. But please only do this when no players are in the area. 

I would be freaking out if I came in a house (the door was already open) then turned around to see it close. Yet nobody is around. 

Hi Brian

would be intresting to see answers to this!

• Like 1

Hey Brian!

1 ) What does the data suggest about people visiting the Northeast corner of the map? It seems like most of the military locations are focused to the Northwest and players are eventually making their way there. Will there be any additions to re-incentivize the Northeast section of the map?

2) With the new capabilities of the renderer, can you give any inside information on wether or not we might see any changes in player blood / bleeding?

3) Are there plans to remove the ability for dead players to continue to hear the VOIP of live players? (more specifically the shit talking fest that occurs after someone is killed)

4) Are you or is anyone from your team going to attend / present at PAX East 2016?

5) What is your favorite scotch whiskey on a budget?

Hi Brian

those are very good suggestions....why didn't I think of some of those...(not so sure on 13)

• Like 2

Have you guys considered changing the blood loss animation? Maybe make it drip more and get on clothing instead of spraying out. Also have you considered blood trails for players and animals to trace the steps of the injured.

• Like 1

Brian,

well most of my questions were questioned by -=PA=-Mikhail  but i have a couple questions he missed 

Will zombies be able to eat players or animals after killing them rather than just standing like a retard and will we be able to throw meat near zombies and they will eat it ? 

Edit: Please make night time a little bit colorful instead of black and white pretty please 

You guys are doing a great job just push ahead and ignore all the trolls :)  Good Luck Dayzdevteam I have high hopes 

Edited by 21DArkiller

Hey Brian, I've got a couple of questions, but the first one would be great if it was possible!:

1. Does the DayZ Dev team have a sort of 'to do' list that they are checking through? Like for example Art Department having to make a Smersh Vest, Hiking jacket etc having a checkmark, and making tuxedo, wedding dress etc (if that is on the list) being blank. It would be great if we could have access to such a list, just to see where we are at, what has been completed, what hasn't been completed or completely changed, and so on. (If you would be able to endure the crying kiddies who will use it to bitch about you guys) I am an animator and I have check lists that I make, and every time I scratch one off it feels quite satisfying, and morale boosting! I imagine it would be the same in DayZ!

2. Will we be able to tie objects(or people) to the backs of cars and drag them to places?

3. Can we get more quiet footstep sounds when shoes are removed? In H1Z1 this has a good effect, but is a bit overused because they don't get damage by walking around barefoot. Maybe the slower you walk the more quiet you are?

Edited by yourunconscious

Hey Brian,

I just have one question:

Will there be any changes for night time to make light sources more important? Like locked gamma and brightness settings to keep it "fair".

Keep up the good work!

Grtz from holland

Edited by Jordihin
  • Like 1

Brian,

Why when people asks for game improvements in performance, zombies, vehicles and stuff you and dev guys always says "it's alpha", but you increase the games's price like a complete game does? Why don't you put a alpha price? Is Alpha only for development and not for the price?

Considering when the 0.50 was released, dean hall said that the game wasn't 50% done, and the game's price was 25 dollars. Will the game cost more than 50 dollars? Are we getting a less-than-half-done game and paying for a more-than-half-done game?

if the open alpha is for users test the product, why are you developing the core of the engine in this stage? Users can't test the engine, i can't report to you that you are not allocating memory in the correct way, but i can report to you that the zombie's ai is not working properly. Why didn't you do it in the closed alpha(2013), or maybe why didn't you don't extend it?

Edited by MFratane