Sign in to follow this  
thefriendlydutchman

Sniping should be a soft skill

Seriously 60% of the playerbase knows how to snipe someone from 400m away, and atleast 20% uses snipers

I think that as a soft skill sniping should become extremely hard, but the more you practice (for example killing zombies) the better you get at it, 

if you haven't trained the soft skill sniper then this are the effect you might get

- High recoil, as in the scope jerks up so it takes more time to line up another shot

- steadyness, as in the scope will move more because you aren't a proffesional military sniper that knows how to steady your aim through a scope

- Bolt, as in if a sniper has a bolt it will take slightly more time if you reload while looking through a scope

the more you use a sniper (= rifle with sniperscope) the better you get at it so the less recoil you have the more steady aim you will have and the faster you can cock the rifle with the bolt, ofcourse just firing your gun wont do anything but killing living things from a distance does.

Bad choice.

Whenever you attach combat mechanics to some arbitrary value, you take the skill out of the game.

• Like 1

Soft skills will never replace player skills, which has been stated nearly every time a dev brings up soft skills. So, no.

• Like 2

sniping should be a skill aquired by the player itself (not the character he plays).

just add wind and 70% wont hit a barn at 500m in with the first shot.

currently it's to hit targets, because (if you have the correct zeroing) most rifles will hit the point you are aiming at, without any bullet drift. if you have a good shooting position, it won't matter much how fast you cook your rifle, or how much recoil you have, because you should be able to hit a non-moving target with the first shot.

so better change the ballisic mechanics and not the weapon handling.

• Like 2

How about firing any gun contributing to a soft skill? After all, distance to target is just a number.

Or better yet... no.

How about a soft skill for every time you sneak up behind a prone gunman and sneak a teddy bear into his inventory?

• Like 1

How about firing any gun contributing to a soft skill? After all, distance to target is just a number.

Or better yet... no.

How about a soft skill for every time you sneak up behind a prone gunman and sneak a teddy bear into his inventory?

what happened to those teddy bears?  forgot they even existed until you mentioned them

what happened to those teddy bears?  forgot they even existed until you mentioned them

They probably got removed because they didn't have an actual use (exept for silencers last Christmas).

I still want them back, so we can all show our love for "Brian".

What would be the design purpose other than combat oriented killer players having an easier time sniping others while non-killer players have a harder time firing back?

• Like 1

I don't know if sniping (a lot) as such should give you any advantages. It's pretty difficult to get to work, since any noob can waste a hundred shots and land only 4 of them, yet still improves his sniping. While someone else may only need 5 bullets for the same task, but won't get any better "reward".

I worked out a system of secondary effects (a subset) of the primary effects of eating, drinking, healing, etc. I think it would be less intrusive than giving people direct rewards for certain actions. They would gradually change and improve slighly by doing things often. It's basically another layer of effects to the soft skills that are already in the game. You can read my thoughts here (bottom page):

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/158609-sa-suggestion-introduction-of-microskills/page-2 

I know this will always lead to controversy, but my point is not about unbalancing the game or even giving advantages to a certain playstyle. My goal is giving more depth and use to soft skills to turn them away from a mere cause-effect towards a wholesome system that let's you build your special character, by doing things you like. If you like the wrong things, like cannibalism, there is a penalty, but one that turns the game into a more diverse experience, instead of being a punishment for a certain playstyle. 

Edited by S3V3N

Let me ask you snipers, is there any point to a rangefinder at this point? I mean I see these guys hit targets far off in the distance and from what I can tell you can pretty easily eye ball it? 

It seems strange that you can do that in this game without the rangefinder. 

• Like 1

Okey I have to say that you guys made some good points but atleast agree that sniping as it is now is way to easy, if I give most players a real sniper rifle they wouldn't be able to hit shit

Okey I have to say that you guys made some good points but atleast agree that sniping as it is now is way to easy, if I give most players a real sniper rifle they wouldn't be able to hit shit

I have a friend who will only use a rifle with scope. Because he can't aim without one. I wish there were no scopes for a while, so people would get more skilled at shooting. Sniping really is too easy now, but most people do it at really close range anyway. My best fights were with melee wepons, to be honest. I don't like the rifles very much, not even the automatic ones. I usually go pistol inside buildings and rifle outside. SKS mostly. I would like to use the Winchester more, but I hardly ever find ammo for it. It's kinda how it is now. Sniping or scoped/ranged shooting is easy and you don't often draw the zombies, whereas people that shoot back at the sniper from inside a city are swarmed. I too think, sniping should be made more challenging. If anything I lead my shots a little, but usually the crosshairs is dead on, especially if people are running toward me. I try to avoid these kind of engagements, though. On 0.59 I've seen more than enough groups hanging about cars and repairing them. Even though my finger was itching, I didn't want to spoil their fun. This might be different, once this patch hits stable. In general, I believe the up close and personal encounters are the more interesting ones.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

. On 0.59 I've seen more than enough groups hanging about cars and repairing them. Even though my finger was itching, I didn't want to spoil their fun. This might be different, once this patch hits stable. In general, I believe the up close and personal encounters are the more interesting ones.

have some beans for not KoS-ing :D

Sniping will be harder because amount of ammo spawning will be reduced (or at least we should all hope that it will) so you have to become perfect at sniping, because every miss is a big waste of a bullet.

To be a good sniper you will have to do one shot one kill every time

So looking over Elektro and spamming left mouse button 15 times per target will quickly get you out of precious ammo

2. If you want to reduce recoil and other stuff, use a bipod, be in a calm state,  be in a prone position

3. If you want to make sniping harder add stuff like wind factor and coriolis effect (for long range sniping) etc instead of skills

Edited by Sperglord
  • Like 1

The most effective way to reduce sniping is to reduce line of sight.

- Enclose forests. There are such things called edge effects and canopy cover. They make a very effective 'wall' that makes sniping (and spotting players from the air) almost impossible.

- Terrain masking. Abrupt changes in terrain cause blind spots.

- Road engineering. Oh, all the fantastic variables that happen when road are engineered properly.

-snip-

Devs shouldn't mess in my gunfights, NEVER. If you want to make sniping harder, add wind. That's all. Don't mess up with my gunfights.

naaa.. I dont think i have ever sniped anyone in this game in 400 hrs of game play because I'm a hermit on a private hive but still...

naaa

No. Never. It's way too easy to die and lose everything in Day Z to warrant a levelling system of any kind, besides natural loot progression. It also detracts away a player's own aiming skills in favour of pleasing noobs and idiots who run through wide open fields. The only thing that should ever occur to make shooting more general is wind, and that should be fairly mild generally.

Let me ask you snipers, is there any point to a rangefinder at this point? I mean I see these guys hit targets far off in the distance and from what I can tell you can pretty easily eye ball it?

It seems strange that you can do that in this game without the rangefinder.

Personally I usually try to get a rangefinder working, whether or not I'll actually be sniping on that character. Even guns like the Skorpion and shotguns can be deadly at long ranges if you know the exact zeroing to a target. I'm decent at eyeballing distances, but I prefer to know the exact distance if I can.

Of course you could always use a third party map and measure the distance, but I find that this usually takes longer and is less reliable, and also requires you to know the EXACT position of both you and your target.

Edited by OnionOfShame

Sorry, this game is built to be difficult as is. . Making it a soft skill would only increase the learning curve for noobies. 

• Like 1