IrishSniper

Players dwindling

It's the number of people logged in and playing the game at that point.

Exactly , and that's what OP and many others don't understand ... This isn't some Aaa title , so let's not pretend that it needs 50 k people playing every day to keep it afloat . This game will be dead when it has only 500 people playing at peak hours like Friday nights , sure there's a decline , but are you really gonna cry wolf everytime the population goes down for some new video game or because content is slow ? You guys realize that many people buy the game with intent to get it cheaper and then finally play it when it's released right ? Fact of the matter is this is a thread worried about the decline so much that they think it will stop the game dead , that doesnt happen because a couple of Whiney twitch players decided to rage quit, games die knly when the developers and community let it die , and neither will let that happen , at least for some years to come.

So to close it all out , I think everyone worried is grabbing at straws for nothing , steam charts only show those that are currently playing and seeing as .58 stable is one of the worst stable branches it's no wonder that the decline happened alongside fallout coming out , but the word decline doesn't mean it's failing , and certainly doesn't implicate that the decline is steep. Only temporary , nothing else !

Anyone noticed the sharp decline of players playing the game lately? What's your guys thoughts. 

http://steamcharts.com/app/221100#1y< steam charts showing the players.

Many players like myself and clan quit playing due to lack of updates. When they finally do release a update its full of major bugs. There is also never a hot fix around the corner. They have set goals for adding content but never seem to make them. Now that there are no zombies, most of the bugs from 0.55/57 are still there and new ones for 0.58. I have only reciently started playing again. It is going to be short lived unless major changes are made soon.

Edited by Foolee

Exactly , and that's what OP and many others don't understand ... This isn't some Aaa title , so let's not pretend that it needs 50 k people playing every day to keep it afloat . This game will be dead when it has only 500 people playing at peak hours like Friday nights , sure there's a decline , but are you really gonna cry wolf everytime the population goes down for some new video game or because content is slow ? You guys realize that many people buy the game with intent to get it cheaper and then finally play it when it's released right ? Fact of the matter is this is a thread worried about the decline so much that they think it will stop the game dead , that doesnt happen because a couple of Whiney twitch players decided to rage quit, games die knly when the developers and community let it die , and neither will let that happen , at least for some years to come.

So to close it all out , I think everyone worried is grabbing at straws for nothing , steam charts only show those that are currently playing and seeing as .58 stable is one of the worst stable branches it's no wonder that the decline happened alongside fallout coming out , but the word decline doesn't mean it's failing , and certainly doesn't implicate that the decline is steep. Only temporary , nothing else !

Look at the statistics. Immediately after launch, the average number of players online was around 23,000. By April this year, that had dropped to around 10,000. It is now around 5,000.

This represents a significant long-term decline since Standalone's launch - not a symptom of Fallout 4, not a couple of whiny Twitchers, but a trend that, if continued, will soon bring the game down to hundreds of players globally. I'm not very happy about it, nor is anyone, but for BI and the familiar faces here to whistle in the dark about it isn't going to change it.

• Like 2

Look at the statistics. Immediately after launch, the average number of players online was around 23,000. By April this year, that had dropped to around 10,000. It is now around 5,000.

This represents a significant long-term decline since Standalone's launch - not a symptom of Fallout 4, not a couple of whiny Twitchers, but a trend that, if continued, will soon bring the game down to hundreds of players globally. I'm not very happy about it, nor is anyone, but for BI and the familiar fac89es here to whistle in the dark about it isn't going to change it.

I think it is going to be like WoW. Millions played then it got boring once you hit endgame with all your chars. Then you un-sub until the next xpac. Wen xpac hits, the servers light up again with everyone returning.

The same will happen once a major patch happens or, at the latest, when beta hits.

People are just bored of running around doing the same shit they have been doing for a year. Once stuff improves, all those who are waiting on the sidelines will return. It may just take beta for that to happen though.

saw someone post about an upcoming game called DonkeyKwon on 9gag earlier today and a lot of the comments reference DayZ so I guess they're similar maybe. wanted to check this game out before backing that one to see what this is like. I'm looking for an ongoing, online zombie survival game.

after reading some threads and this one, I'm not sure I want to invest in this one. Hasn't this game been out for a few years? The buy now page says its still in early access beta kinda form? Is that just not updated? Also this is based on zombie survival right? Why am I seeing comments like "since there are no zombies now". I'm kinda confused by that. I'm also seeing videos of vehicles around the forums, but seeing posts about there not being vehicles in the game?! Can anyone clarify these things?

TLDR: looking to join an onling zombie survival game. This seemed legit but am a bit put off by posts of "no zombies in the game any more, no vehicles, dwindling population". Can anyone clarify that? Also, when you die in this game, does your stats, items and all the levelling up of your character get reset? Lastly, is there a free trial to demo the game online before spending $$ on it?

Thanks.

saw someone post about an upcoming game called DonkeyKwon on 9gag earlier today and a lot of the comments reference DayZ so I guess they're similar maybe. wanted to check this game out before backing that one to see what this is like. I'm looking for an ongoing, online zombie survival game.

after reading some threads and this one, I'm not sure I want to invest in this one. Hasn't this game been out for a few years? The buy now page says its still in early access beta kinda form? Is that just not updated? Also this is based on zombie survival right? Why am I seeing comments like "since there are no zombies now". I'm kinda confused by that. I'm also seeing videos of vehicles around the forums, but seeing posts about there not being vehicles in the game?! Can anyone clarify these things?

TLDR: looking to join an onling zombie survival game. This seemed legit but am a bit put off by posts of "no zombies in the game any more, no vehicles, dwindling population". Can anyone clarify that? Also, when you die in this game, does your stats, items and all the levelling up of your character get reset? Lastly, is there a free trial to demo the game online before spending $$ on it?

Thanks.

Zombie's were removed for 1 patch phase to rebuild their AI, the new working one's are on the experimental branch right now where anyone can go play .59. Vehicles have been removed (again temporarily) for basically similar reasons. It's a work in progress so no there isn't a free trial of "testing DayZ". The game hasn't released yet so it hasn't been out for any time at all :rolleyes:

Thanks.

There is only one way to find out as some people will tell you it is amazing others will tell you something else. Fact is there is zombies, there is vehicles and the population is irrelevant because servers hold 75 people so you really only need 74 others. But one thing is for sure, no one on my friends list played this game for any less than 100 hours so for an unfinished buggy mess of a game that is freaking awesome! 

As for your character; yes you lose EVERYTHING when you die, and thankfully that is how it will always be.

---------

As per the thread;

I've been thinking; with early access you pay less and get to participate in the development and watch the game grow in real-time. But when you pre-order you get none of those things. pay more and have to accept whatever is handed to you and it generally goes unnoticed. Somehow this early-access has given people some sort of entitlement feeling to this game and I would love to know where that comes from and what is exactly owed to these players? For shits and giggles more than anything but maybe there is a reasonable argument out there as the "you're late and there is no zombies when there is" bit is getting tedious.

Zombie's were removed for 1 patch phase to rebuild their AI, the new working one's are on the experimental branch right now where anyone can go play .59. Vehicles have been removed (again temporarily) for basically similar reasons. It's a work in progress so no there isn't a free trial of "testing DayZ". The game hasn't released yet so it hasn't been out for any time at all :rolleyes:

Vehicles have not been removed.

The v3s (normal and cargo variant) is in game and has been for a while and the current exp patch features 2 new cars. The reason you don't see them all over the place is twofold; they require parts to get running and they are often stashed by players to allow them to quickly return to camps/locations.

TLDR: looking to join an onling zombie survival game. This seemed legit but am a bit put off by posts of "no zombies in the game any more, no vehicles, dwindling population". Can anyone clarify that? Also, when you die in this game, does your stats, items and all the levelling up of your character get reset? Lastly, is there a free trial to demo the game online before spending $$ on it?

Thanks.

There is only one way to find out as some people will tell you it is amazing others will tell you something else. Fact is there is zombies, there is vehicles and the population is irrelevant because servers hold 75 people so you really only need 74 others. But one thing is for sure, no one on my friends list played this game for any less than 100 hours so for an unfinished buggy mess of a game that is freaking awesome! 

As for your character; yes you lose EVERYTHING when you die, and thankfully that is how it will always be.

Thanks for the replies.  I like the fact then when you die it HURTS. Hate continuous re-spawns unless there are real consequences. 

Is there a stats levelling system? Or is it all item/weapon/armor based? I understand when you die you lose all the stuff you've gathered, how about when you log off? Do you resume where you left off kinda thing?

In terms of the 74 other people in the sever with you... is that ever like 5 other people just cuz its a slow day kinda thing? 

Gonna watch some youtube videos on it. Was confusing at first cuz of the "no zombies or vehicles in the game" and then i see some in the videos.

Edited by carverstone

For me: hackers. In the last 2 months I die by hackers every day I play. It's ridiculous. I like to PVP on public servers but they always have hackers. Invisible players, killing through walls, teleporting, etc. And the main problem is that they are growing in number. Server admins can't ban them and the devs should be more effective on this subject. They talk about ban waves but the game needs some waves now...

Thanks for the replies.  I like the fact then when you die it HURTS. Hate continuous re-spawns unless there are real consequences. 

Is there a stats levelling system? Or is it all item/weapon/armor based? I understand when you die you lose all the stuff you've gathered, how about when you log off? Do you resume where you left off kinda thing?

In terms of the 74 other people in the sever with you... is that ever like 5 other people just cuz its a slow day kinda thing? 

Gonna watch some youtube videos on it. Was confusing at first cuz of the "no zombies or vehicles in the game" and then i see some in the videos.

There is defnite "soft-skills" system being implemented but chances are any sort of real-time monitoring won't be available. Perhaps an online history of some sort may be made for the stat-whores but no, you can't be a level 1 and have to use more bullets to kill a level 2 or anything. It is more about the amount of items you have that can deflect bullets, clothing, health/blood condition etc.

Logging off saves your last position and character, but make sure your coast is clear as there are minor delays and you can still die from being shot for a few seconds after. Servers range from 0 to full (75 at the moment).

Yeah, vehicles are being introduced really so they are in and out but the truck is always there and the zombies needed a bit of an overhaul to improve performance amongst other things so the pain was/will be worth it in the end when 0.59 hits stable.

For me: hackers. In the last 2 months I die by hackers every day I play. It's ridiculous. I like to PVP on public servers but they always have hackers. Invisible players, killing through walls, teleporting, etc. And the main problem is that they are growing in number. Server admins can't ban them and the devs should be more effective on this subject. They talk about ban waves but the game needs some waves now...

This is true. I tend to switch between 0.58 and 0.59 now and then and always get killed by some dirty hacker or glitcher on 0.58, at least once a night. Its kinda sad when theres not enormous amounts of players playing and some may leave due to these griefers ruining things for others. They aren't really playing the game so why should they be allowed to ruin it for those that do?

The development process of DayZ is messed up. People will tell you how much they enjoy the game for sure but 3 years of development and a sudden turn of events where the devteam halted almost everything for the sake of a new engine.

I really admire BI and the efforts being put into the game. But the development was messed up from the beginning. They will never admit it obviously and I don't expect them to because it will hurt their reputation. All the rewriting is cool and eveything but the time it takes to do it, no matter how many code lines to rewrite... the very late decision of working on an entire new engine and the postpone of mod tools are very bad. Chris Torchia touched just abit on how development for DayZ was unorganized and we've seen it only from the modelling branch of development.

All in all I'm sure people will have opnions against mine and mods saying how much fun this game brings which is undoubtful but we're talking about development here. Which is unacceptable from BI which is also undoubtfully slow and unorganized.

• Like 2

I checked out some vids on youtube. Looks fun. With all the comments i've seen on this site so far I think I'm pass on this one. I'm gonna put money in on the Torn Valley game this week instead and try and start early on that one when it comes out next year. I feel like I'd have the same problem I have with COD and BF4 type games. Where you don't know the map so well so any turn you make you just die instantly from people that camp for life or worse are hacking.

I didnt know it was a mod of a previous game. I can understand now why its been in early access for so long. Its gotta be tough to actively develop something thats constantly being used. Probably would have been better to finish it fully before releasing anything. 

If the game had a trial, I'd check it out, but the fact that there are cheaters actively roaming free is enough to make me not spend a dime here. Good point on the 100+ hours. Any game that takes that much of your time has to be doing something right, I have 2-3 times that into Dark Souls! But I'll wait til this idea is done right. 

thx again for all the info

The development process of DayZ is messed up. People will tell you how much they enjoy the game for sure but 3 years of development and a sudden turn of events where the devteam halted almost everything for the sake of a new engine.

I really admire BI and the efforts being put into the game. But the development was messed up from the beginning. They will never admit it obviously and I don't expect them to because it will hurt their reputation. All the rewriting is cool and eveything but the time it takes to do it, no matter how many code lines to rewrite... the very late decision of working on an entire new engine and the postpone of mod tools are very bad. Chris Torchia touched just abit on how development for DayZ was unorganized and we've seen it only from the modelling branch of development.

All in all I'm sure people will have opnions against mine and mods saying how much fun this game brings which is undoubtful but we're talking about development here. Which is unacceptable from BI which is also undoubtfully slow and unorganized.

Only problem i have is its not 3 years, its just 2 years coming up.

Knowing this? is your facts correct about what is going on inside the development or are you just guessing is to why.

I agree about the fact that things get turned around in any company once in awhile, a shift in development for say by BI. Also don't forget a transition from rocket to hicks also brought difference of development procedures.

This is politics, and its best we stay out of it. Its best to let the team keep developing as much as the can and get us past this alpha.

I want the development to continue into the future like the ARMA series did. I don't want to see it die off because people got fed up with the politics behind it all.

So this is why i say its best we stay out of it. It will only bring too much negative feedback among users, in and around the forums.

We may speculate exactly what is going on with the development, but we really don't know what is happening. We also don't know how much content is finished, and they maybe only fixing the engine to perfection.

I know i am staying out of it. I don't want to have another game full of politic bs.

Sony online spark any thing? - Ruined my favorite games because of it all.

Only problem i have is its not 3 years, its just 2 years coming up.

Knowing this? is your facts correct about what is going on inside the development or are you just guessing is to why.

Do you think the development began at the exact same day they released the alpha? No, how about YOU go and check your opinion before stating it here. If you don't even know that BI were releasing devblogs every few months before the release.. aomething similiar to status reports except they were about the bery basic features of DayZ st the time they were wrote.

DayZ started its public versions as 0.28 because DayZ went through 28 major updates BEFORE it was released. And I assure you that these 28 bersions were the most exciting than any version there were in the public build.

This is politics, and its best we stay out of it. Its best to let the team keep developing as much as the can and get us past this alpha.

Nah. If you follow Dean on twitter he occasionally tweets stuff relating to DayZ. Dean left because he wanted to make his own studio, RocketWerks, he is working on his own, not BIs, game called Ion.

Dean made fortune from DayZ. I promise you. But this game isn't his game no matter how much credit he's given and if he has a zombie model or a player face.

I'm just gonna repeat what I wrote often times during the past year of me not playing:

The plain and simple reason I don't play anymore is because for every part DayZ consists of there are numerous games doing it actually better than DayZ.

Survival is done a lot better in Don't Starve, The Long Dark, Project Zomboid and Neo Scavenger.

Fighting Zombies is a lot more fun in 7 Days to Die, the Left for Dead Series, Project Zomboid, Plants vs. Zombies.

Crafting and Base building is a lot better in 7 Days to Die and Ark.

Some of those games started development well after DayZ and made a lot more progress in that time.

The only thing DayZ has left going for it are open world PvP with realistic damage model and physics as well as the overall look and feel. That isn't enough for me to keep playing it.

I hate to say this, but I told you so.

Players can only take so much of the slow development pace without leaving for greener pastures. I remember when this forum was so busy a thread would drop off the front page within an hour. Now, it takes days.

I told you all almost 2 years ago when I speculated on this very forum that we would see nothing but slow progress on this game until it quietly fell out of the public eye. And I was jeered at and slandered. But who has the last laugh? Me, regretfully so. I wish I had been proven wrong.

Below is one of the posts I had then about the subject 18-19 months ago, back when DayZ had sold 'only' 2 million units instead of 3 million. Rereading it made me feel vindicated and a bit sad as it came to pass.

I think what has some people angry is that DayZ has over 2 million sold copies and the game is progressing at a perceived rate that would be normal for a medium sized mod team, tinkering on their spare time.

People are forgetting that this is not a kickstarter. The money earned is not guaranteed to be reinvested into the game. Actually (as I have mentioned in previous posts) it is my belief that the great sales success of DayZ SA is actively working against further investments.

Why would I, as the man recieving the profits, want to invest money I already have in the bank on a product that has thoroughly saturated its market and any further monetary investment will yield little to no extra profit in the long run? Better to keep the costs low.

I think it will hold the same pace of development through out, no matter if you are in the "its to slow" or the "its doing fine" camp.

The team will not be expanded unless there are other beneficial factors that come into play such as aquiring assets for future projects or to prevent bad publicity if people become to loud.

• Like 2

Thadius: You are so right... Thats EXACTLY what i think after retrying DayZ after about 1 Year break. THINK: 2 Years EA and there is so less things new... Nobody can seriously belive that there are more than 2 People are workling on this.

They will put some Little stuff in it and than they say its finished.

Edited by MOSkorpion

Exactly. People say that rushing a game will make it bad. DayZ has been in development for 3 years yet its still way far than good. If "fun" experience is all you see in DayZ, I couldn't be happier for you. But out of the 3 million sold copies, around 2 million 910 thousand and a few hundreds want more. I love DayZ honestly but I stopped playing it ever since I realized progression is too slow to be playable. I made several posts and threads regarding the development pace and all I got is moderators and boneboys locking my threads for being "too noisy" I guess.

I'm gonna end my participation with the development of DayZ as the intro dialog of the game says, until the game is properly set with modding supported.

If they would only spend less time modelling a bus and more time modelling a wooden wall you could place in the world I'd be thankful.

They say they are looking for feedback but instead of shutting us up they should start listening to the most honest feedback they can get.

Edited by StanleyWasHappy
  • Like 1

Exactly. People say that rushing a game will make it bad. DayZ has been in development for 3 years yet its still way far than good. If "fun" experience is all you see in DayZ, I couldn't be happier for you. But out of the 3 million sold copies, around 2 million 910 thousand and a few hundreds want more. I love DayZ honestly but I stopped playing it ever since I realized progression is too slow to be playable. I made several posts and threads regarding the development pace and all I got is moderators and boneboys locking my threads for being "too noisy" I guess.

I'm gonna end my participation with the development of DayZ as the intro dialog of the game says, until the game is properly set with modding supported.

If they would only spend less time modelling a bus and more time modelling a wooden wall you could place in the world I'd be thankful.

They say they are looking for feedback but instead of shutting us up they should start listening to the most honest feedback they can get.

Cya

Cya

Pretty immature response to people that have pointed out some genuine problems with the game. With that attitude, DayZ will run out of players soon enough. With a peak of ~7k players, this game is dying before our eyes. Maybe it's time for some people to take off the pink glasses and stop bashing people with genuine critique. If you can't talk openly about the problems of DayZ, you can't have hope that anything will change for the better.

I think its as valid a response as i "don't give a crap in helping development, but would rather whine about it".

As soon as .59 comes out, people will return to it. Plus its winter time now, people will return for that fact too.

You guys on the nay side of things need to stop reading into stuff so much. You don't know the outcome.

Help its development, locate issues, post on them. Stop worrying so much about the policies inside BI.

As soon as .59 comes out, people will return to it.

You funny... do you think people will really come back? This is the less likely time for DayZ old playerbase to come back. So many games went out that will attract millions of players, Fallout 4, Call of Duty Black Ops 3, STAR WARS Battlefront. Next month Rainbow Six Siege and around the BETA release we'll see Tom Clancy's The Division.

The devteam will have to put proper work because this year extra ordinary games will come out or have came out. Fuck it, I'm about to finish the storyline of Fallout 4 for the 3rd time now and I will buy Battlefront as soon as I finish studying for my next exams wave.

What the hell makes you think gamers will pass Battlefront for .59 which adds nothing but vehicles and reworked Cherno?

No one gives a damn about another vehicle in DayZ. That makes no change at all. The six thousand people that currently play this game which I am happily NOT part of won't grow just because we can drive a Lada Niva or find a VSS.

Modding however will bring so much phuckling content in that the devteam couldnt create in an entire decade.

.59 will bring more players pffft... we'll see if the playerbase post week of the .59 release will be higher than 7k. Which I completely doubt it.

If only they would insert the CLE after its PROPERLY working not like what happened in .55 DayZ might have still been a thing. But it has already died 6 months ago.

Lemme put you next to reality and hopefully a dev member will read it too. No body outside the active members actually cares about the stage of development. They care about what they get. Good game or bad game, fun or not. This early access program shapes what this game will turn to. If you ness up in a single update and you leave it for months there - you kill it. I assure you that when mod support is in and big mods will get released, and only then players will come back. I'd love to give you a medium to the future - contaminated terrain, helicopters and beards won't budge anything. No one who left DayZ back in .55 with impatience will be patient enough to play 10 hours to build a heli or be arsed to go all over to the NW corner of the map for only the broken heli spawn.