Sign in to follow this  
DickCheney

The Plans and Goals for 2015

So we had a thread like this a while back, probably in Q1 or Q2, we are now in early Q4 so I decided to tally it up.

One year ago the DayZ dev team posted a list of goals for 2015, these goals were divided into the four quarters of the year. Where do we stand today?

Q1 2015

• Basic vehicles
  • We got two versions of one vehicle, I'll give you half a point.
  • Central economy (advanced loot distribution)
  • The CLE did not actually get up and running until late in Q3. Half a point.
  • New renderer
  • I don't think we ever actually did get this but I may be wrong, for now you get no points.
  • New Zombie AI
  • Lol, no. Zombies have been removed from the game entirely, no points.
  • Basic stealth system (zombies, animals, ...)
  • Yep, the system is very basic but it does work, 1 point.
  • Diseases
  • Well we got Cholera and Kuru, I'll give you 1 point.

So for Q1 you got 3/6, half of your goals were not reached.

Q2 2015

• Advanced vehicles (repair, modifications, ...)
  • Nope, you added tire repair but I won't even give half a point for that as its not needed since the tires respawn after every reset.
  • Advanced animals - life cycle, group behavior
  • They do seem to roam and group together but do little more than seek out water and drink until they are scared away. I'll give you the point though.
  • Player statistics
  • Nope, no points.
  • New UI Stamina / fatigue
  • Nope, no points.
  • Dynamic events
  • Nope, no points.

For Q2 you got 1/5, the majority of your goals were not reached.

Q3 2015

• Traps
  • Bear traps and landmines but no craftable traps. I'll give you the point.
  • Barricading
  • Nope, no points.
  • Character life span + soft skills
  • Nope, no points.
  • Animal predators + birds
  • Nope no points.
  • Aerial transport
  • Nope, no points.
  • Console prototype
  • No? I don't believe so, no points.

Q3 scored a dismal 1/6, I'd call it a complete failure due to the fact that the traps were so basic and are not even in the current patch.

Q4 2015

• BETA version
  • Doubtful, but we'll see.
  • Animal companions (dog, horse)
  • Lol no, you haven't even shown basic work on these, I doubt we'll see them in 2015.
  • Steam community integration (Achievements, Steamworks modding, etc)
  • If only, at this point modding is all that could save this glorified mod.
  • Construction (building shelters / walls / ...)
  • This may actually come true but once again, I doubt it, we'll probably see more base building objects like water and food storage or maybe even power but base building is still very far off.

So here we are in early Q4, so far in 2015 you have achieved 5 out of 21 goals that you set for yourself. This road map is little more than a crudely drawn line over craft paper in a preschool classroom, oh but wait, I forgot one of your plans did actually come to fruition:

"Along with the remaining updates this year you can expect a new price point for DayZ, a slight increase to $34.99 USD."

Oh DayZ dev team, you are something special. I hope we have all learned something after watching them laugh their way to the bank with our money as we hold 5/21 of a game.

inb4 thread locked and graveyarded, if you really want to encourage discussion on the state of the game you'll let this stay but too many times in the past I've seen criticism swept under the rug if it wasn't presented with a spoonful of sugar and a pat on the back.

• Like 4

Have you had any enjoyment over the last four quarters?

I know I have had hundreds of hours of fun thus far.

Are they moving along as quickly as i'd like? No, obviously. But have i gotten my 30 bucks worth of fun? Hell yes i have, and more!

• Like 2

- Same old rubbish, trying to get a reaction then complain when the thread is closed -

Don't worry i already called one :

wambulance_by_fluidgirl82-d64hnlv.png

Get well soon mate :rolleyes:

• Like 2

inb4 thread locked and graveyarded, if you really want to encourage discussion on the state of the game you'll let this stay but too many times in the past I've seen criticism swept under the rug if it wasn't presented with a spoonful of sugar and a pat on the back.

I'm undecided as to whether this should be sent to the 'Yard or just left to die.

On the one hand I do find it to be somewhat venomous and sarcastic but on the other hand if you do actually want to discuss the dev timeline and future development of DayZ then you're welcome to.

Let's put it to a vote...

• Like 2

Goals are not promises, they are ideas.

As far as the vote goes i think Dick does more to stop people listening to him purely by writing posts than closing his thread ever would :D

i agree with the fact that they are failing miserably at reaching their goals, but i don't think the "laughing all the way to the bank" part is accurate. I believe that they are truly working hard on it. It's just a shame that by the time its fun again no one will be left to care but the alpha screamers.

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 5

To quote the marketing handbook for all first year BSc. students, goals should be acchievable in terms of time and quality.

So if you're consistantly underestimating your time frames, you're going to experience issues with client/consumer satisfaction, budget/cashflow etc...

As Baker said, it's unfortunate and indeed, demoralizing, to see a failure to meet performance targets, although I have enjoyed the game from time to time in the interim.  I'd like to see them knock it out of the park, but I'd also like to see (eventually) a polished and complete game.  Within a reasonable time frame of course.

I still feel the scope of criticism is still too small in terms of time.  If these failures blow out into the long term then i may throw my hat into the complaint ring until then i'll just watch from the boundary between dark and light.

Iv'e always been of the understanding that these goals were internal benchmarks for development, and since we only have access to the elements that they feel confident in pushing to experimental, and then to stable, there is no definite way for us to really see how many of these benchmarks have been met.

Maybe it is time for a status report to touch on where the internal progress lies, in relation to this published road map.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 2

Iv'e always been of the understanding that these goals were internal benchmarks for development, and since we only have access to the elements that they feel confident in pushing to experimental, and then to stable, there is no definite way for us to really see how many of these benchmarks have been met.

Maybe it is time for a status report to touch on where the internal progress lies, in relation to this published road map.

I totally agree. Just because we do not see it yet don't mean its not in the works. I too would like to see a good status report.

We yard for a reason - keep it civil and constructive and all is well.

Getting sick and tired of people complaining about their childish, "constructive" threads getting yarded. 

Discuss away!

• Like 5

i don't think the "laughing all the way to the bank" part is accurate. I

DayZ isn't a scam, no. And they certainly aren't laughing all the way to the bank.

But they have been to the bank.

Many times. 

And the teller knows them by name at this point.

Also they may have bought the bank.

• Like 2

Goals are not promises, they are ideas.

As far as the vote goes i think Dick does more to stop people listening to him purely by writing posts than closing his thread ever would :D

Everything I put up there was on the DayZ Dev Team Roadmap, they said it themselves, these are plans and goals they expect to achieve. I wouldn't bitch if they had delivered on maybe half of the goals but they didn't, they didn't even get 1/4. This is not a free to play alpha, I paid for this, WE paid for this. When the devs lay out a plan and only manage to reach 5 or the 21 goals they set for themselves I expect answers as to why the project WE funded is coming along so poorly.

• Like 1

To quote the marketing handbook for all first year BSc. students, goals should be acchievable in terms of time and quality.

So if you're consistantly underestimating your time frames, you're going to experience issues with client/consumer satisfaction, budget/cashflow etc...

As Baker said, it's unfortunate and indeed, demoralizing, to see a failure to meet performance targets, although I have enjoyed the game from time to time in the interim.  I'd like to see them knock it out of the park, but I'd also like to see (eventually) a polished and complete game.  Within a reasonable time frame of course.

I still feel the scope of criticism is still too small in terms of time.  If these failures blow out into the long term then i may throw my hat into the complaint ring until then i'll just watch from the boundary between dark and light.

Well we are coming up on two years of alpha, what sort of time frame would be appropriate? They have fallen short on their goals for two years, I find that very troubling.

If they are goals for internal benchmarks then why post them as a roadmap for us? I've watched them progress and tried to keep an eye on what they were working on but they are not very transparent, they post a WIP every now and then but for the most part we know what we are getting when it hits EXP, if they want to keep us updated they need only post a status report in the forums every couple of weeks that details their current projects.

DayZ isn't a scam, no. And they certainly aren't laughing all the way to the bank.

But they have been to the bank.

Many times. 

And the teller knows them by name at this point.

Also they may have bought the bank.

Heh. So in January they had reached 3,000,000 copies sold, wonder how much that grossed? about $90,000,000 I'd say. That is one hell of a budget to rework an arma mod into an actual game.

Near on one hundred million grossed and I feel we do not have enough to show for it, two years of development and very little has changed. They claim they have a team of 80 or so working on this game but I just can't believe it, at this speed it seems like maybe 5 to 10 people are actually actively developing this game.

I guess you didn't see the video where Hicks went over the above roadmap and discussed it point by point, where they are, and why?

• Like 3

Heh. So in January they had reached 3,000,000 copies sold, wonder how much that grossed? about $90,000,000 I'd say. That is one hell of a budget to rework an arma mod into an actual game.

Near on one hundred million grossed and I feel we do not have enough to show for it, two years of development and very little has changed. They claim they have a team of 80 or so working on this game but I just can't believe it, at this speed it seems like maybe 5 to 10 people are actually actively developing this game.

In Bohemia's defense, you can't just throw money at a Dev team and get exponentially greater results. They team they have is only so big, only so much of a size. It doesn't matter if they have one million extra dollars or fifty million. It won't impact how quickly they work, only ensure the survival of their project. 

And I don't think they are just reworking a mod that already exists. DayZ SA is supposed to be it's own schmagaegle. 

The only thing any of us were ever promised for our cash, are problematic design decisions and bugs for as long as it takes to finish, and then a copy of the completed game at the end. I've had my money's worth many times over despite all the bugs. I might add that when they gave us a list of possible deadlines which they inevitably did not hit due to a host of problems, we as a community raged at them. When they decided to start saying "we're working on it" instead of making deadline statements they didn't know if they could hit or not, we also raged. I personally love the concept, and am already having a whale of a time in the game. I hope they take as long as it takes to do things properly, and am glad my life doesn't revolve around video game updates. I've played most of DayZ's competitors and in my opinion not a single one lives up to the DayZ experience i've been having so far, let alone what it will one day be.

These types of threads are tiresome no matter where I read them but since I've always wanted to ask this I'll go ahead and do it.

If there were 800 identical basic doors in a field and I asked you to count them, what number would you give me?  Follow up question, is that number greater than 1?

• Like 2