Yuval

The struggle of ghillie snipers

I guess other cactusmen can feel me right now :(

KBgqNNx.jpg

You realize Ghillie does nothing for you at the ranges most snipers operate, right? You show up as a man shaped maybe a tiny bit bushy laying on a flat featureless plane of ground.  Now if someone is about 60 meters from you... those guys probably can't spot you. 

200.gif

• Like 2

Good, Ghillies were one of the stupidest and least-required things to add to this game. The various dresses were the second.

"Hey, I am in a world with no electricity, no law and order, no medicine, and no industry. I am not sure if I will live to see tomorrow. Let me make a Ghillie suit and lie on top of a hill somewhere!"

They added them to appease the mouth-breathing of the KoS-scrubs, nothing more.

• Like 7

Good, Ghillies were one of the stupidest and least-required things to add to this game. The various dresses were the second.

"Hey, I am in a world with no electricity, no law and order, no medicine, and no industry. I am not sure if I will live to see tomorrow. Let me make a Ghillie suit and lie on top of a hill somewhere!"

Completely disagree with this comment. Ghillies add so much more. When zombies return with AI, I entirely plan on rockin a ghillie to keep my zombie slayin as stealth as possible.

• Like 3

So much wrong with this statement.

• Like 3

Brother, i hope someday they make the game you want. I dont think dayz will be it though. maybe some hardcore mod of dayz. 

• Like 1

Wait till they add helos. Something else that makes zero sense.

Completely disagree with this comment. Ghillies add so much more. When zombies return with AI, I entirely plan on rockin a ghillie to keep my zombie slayin as stealth as possible.

Then enlighten me. What, exactly, do Ghillie suits add to the game? What do they promote? What mechanic do they support? Be specific, please.

Asides from the fact that they don't fucking work, due to how the game renders things at a distance. And, unless the new render is a god-damned miracle (which I honestly doubt), this is unlikely to change

The only way a Ghillie suit really works right now is if you sit in a bush. And, if you do that, you are already camouflaged.

Making a Ghillie suit in-game takes a long time, is a pain in the ass, and is an ultimately fruitless effort. Can I tell you how many "Ghillie snipers" (snerk) I've killed because they think I can't see them? Hint: probably 90% of them.

• Like 4

Then enlighten me. What, exactly, do Ghillie suits add to the game? What do they promote? What mechanic do they support? Be specific, please.

In a situation like this I would definitely work on being stealthier and more camouflaged. I have built my own camouflage that was set up to match the area I was in and have played woddsballl paintball in it and shocked people from about 5-6 yards away from me as they did not see me. That could be an asset in an apocalypse and hiding is a real thing. Unfortunately they don't work in game because of rendering issues and zombies ignore camouflage completely so they are pretty worthless right now. 

Camo is desired. Working camo in game is a must. Engine might not allow it though. 

Otherwise I would totally sneak through a zed filled town with a silenced weapon and stealth loot the place like I could in old, old, old dayz mod.

• Like 1

Asides from the fact that they don't fucking work, due to how the game renders things at a distance. And, unless the new render is a god-damned miracle (which I honestly doubt), this is unlikely to change

The only way a Ghillie suit really works right now is if you sit in a bush. And, if you do that, you are already camouflaged.

Making a Ghillie suit in-game takes a long time, is a pain in the ass, and is an ultimately fruitless effort. Can I tell you how many "Ghillie snipers" (snerk) I've killed because they think I can't see them? Hint: probably 90% of them.

So... 90% of them you DID killl because you could see them and you let the rest go like some strange catch and release program?  Or you only think you saw 90% of them?

Maybe there was a ghilli convention on, with thousands of them moving about you, breeding, and frolicking in the spring air.  How do you know you get 90% of them if you can't see all of them?

Also what does lack of electricity etc... have to do with building a suit made from torn up strips and netting with the odd bit of duct-tape and CFC laden aerosol?..

If i were to tongue your mouth, i get the distinct feeling i'd get a sharp tang of salt.

You're complaining and grasping at straws with the 'value added statement' because by that logic we'd only have the option of mountain & hunting backpacks (all other backpacks are poor in comparison therefore do not add to gameplay), the multitude of melee weapons will be removed (lol stupid fire extinguisher, where is fire for make spray white foam at?) etc etc etc...

Sandbox game: populated with things that drive their own pupose. 

Dont make me tongue your mouth now...

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 5

Exactly, the more options the better.  If you find an item impractical/useless it doesn't mean everyone does.  The nice part is if you don't like it, you don't have to make it.  An argument about the way things render in is valid, but that wasn't the tone of your original post at all.  Not to mention you lumped in dresses with ghillies.

How is female clothing pointless?  If anything the game needs more of it.  The apocalypse hits and suddenly there's no women's clothing and everyone forgot how to make improvised camouflage?  Right...

eh different strokes different folks i usually wear the hunting stuff and try to go with earth tones. I've had countless folks just run by me and not even notice i was there, I think a lot of it is based on movement and what they are focused on if they are loot drunk you can walk right up to them and do whatever. situational awareness is your best friend camo only work IMO if you know how to use it not that do but i'm learning through experience and a ghillie used correctly would give an advantage IMO. and actually i havn't seen a ghillie in forever lol maybe they are there and i'm blind. folks i run into look like bums and this is in the north.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 2

eh different strokes different folks i usually wear the hunting stuff and try to go with earth tones. I've had countless folks just run by me and not even notice i was there, I think a lot of it is based on movement and what they are focused on if they are loot drunk you can walk right up to them and do whatever. situational awareness is your best friend camo only work IMO if you know how to use it not that do but i'm learning through experience and a ghillie used correctly would give an advantage IMO. and actually i havn't seen a ghillie in forever lol maybe they are there and i'm blind. folks i run into look like bums and this is in the north.

I used to rock hunter gear until i found some flat gorka jacket and pants. Combined with an improvised backpack and damaged beige ballcap my guy is pretty much invisible at night. When all you see are blotches of light and dark, the gorka and imp backpack disrupt your body shape like crazy. Of course thats during the night where its tougher to see anything anyway but compared to all other clothing i think it is pretty amazing.

• Like 1

I think ghillie suits were put in as a joke. Hard to make, hard to wear, limits storage and with debatable effectiveness.

• Like 1

What a very poorly thought out statement.. The Butt-Hurt is strong in this one :P

Edited by KenoSkir88
  • Like 1

He's right though, at distance ghillie is pointless, and you cant carry it while your moving, all you need is a head&gun wrap..Gorks will completly submerse you from view at a few meters or even 10 feet away in the grass.. @ a distance we all look the same weather were standing in front of a bush or a tree, an outlined spec...Ive even threw ppl off in full medics crimson red just by laying down,,,,unless your near Myshkino/NWAF  for example an area that has the  shrubby undergrowth like pine filed forest and somehow manage to carry it in your backpack until your close to position, b/c face it most ppl are running around 80% of the time( even in ghillie suits)------if not its useless,

was at myshkino with a team and a ghillie friend of ours was laying under a evergreen tree and I could see him perfectly from inside the tents and he near 150 meters away.....BUT the dresses are water proof and they look good on chicks, not the chicks with guy voices either

Edited by KandyCid

Hey, I have you know dresses are not stupid. They make my butt look nice and I can show off my starry underwear. 

Being in a ghillie suit or even anything remotely camouflage has never had an influence on whether zombies see you or not. I think it's a radius thing in the mechanics of the game. 

In general, ghillie' are a cool concept. Just one that in this game serves little to no purpose due to rendering. I can't tell you how many times that friends of mine and even myself have been killed before anyone else in the group who had little to no camouflage. It's definitely a rendering issue/distance. 

With the way everyone turns down their graphics settings imo you're more likely to stick out like a sore thumb and be seen if you're in a ghillie.

When the world didn't have anything, it was the Scots that hunted and invented the Ghillie suit. The Ghillie suit should add bonuses for hunting. You walk to your hunting spot, you stash your backback taking with you an empty clothes and pouches. On the Ghillie suit goes, off you hunt and come back with pockets full of meat.

Something like that anyway - have the Devs even considered giving us a bonus for hunting with it? If not, I'd say you are correct when you said "They added them to appease the mouth-breathing of the KoS-scrubs, nothing more."

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 1

There is so much useless stuff in the game right now. Like the compass that opens and closes... why do we need this? I want a compass keybind like in Arma (e.g. 'K'), not a shitty compass that is wrong most of the time and has a fancy lid. Or the OTS 3PP camera that didn't fix wall-peeking and not many people like. Why is it still in the game?

Ghillie suits should probably have a purpose but they DO provide a goal in a game with way too little functional (as opposed to cosmetic) content.

There is so much useless stuff in the game right now. Like the compass that opens and closes... why do we need this? I want a compass keybind like in Arma (e.g. 'K'), not a shitty compass that is wrong most of the time and has a fancy lid. Or the OTS 3PP camera that didn't fix wall-peeking and not many people like. Why is it still in the game?

Ghillie suits should probably have a purpose but they DO provide a goal in a game with way too little functional (as opposed to cosmetic) content.

People like you make me sick. If you'd only try to be just a little bit more creative and put the compass in your hotkey bar you wouldn't need to make a pointless brag speech.

Oh yeah, and one more thing - Alpha.

People like you make me sick. If you'd only try to be just a little bit more creative and put the compass in your hotkey bar you wouldn't need to make a pointless brag speech.

Oh yeah, and one more thing - Alpha.

I wholeheartedly accept the alpha argument. My point was that there are a lot of things that are implemented that have little to no use. And the existing functionality just sucks in many areas. But that is just how DayZ is at the moment.

Sorry that this makes you sick. I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly accept the alpha argument. My point was that there are a lot of things that are implemented that have little to no use. And the existing functionality just sucks in many areas. But that is just how DayZ is at the moment.

Sorry that this makes you sick. I hope you feel better soon.

Nearly everything has a use in this game. Just because you may not use it, doesn't mean it does not have a use. I can probably find a use for anything you list. (Aside from car-part tools like wrenches etc) And yes, we're not even in beta yet so in the rare case of a completely pointless item, it will be fixed

I like to ask people if they want to see my secret and make them huddle around, then I open the lid on the compass and tell them "don't tell anybody ;)"

I think the little things add a ton to the game.

• Like 1