Sign in to follow this  
Zardoz75

Leaving behind canteens filled with gas

Does anyone else do this? Fill up a canteen with gas and leave them at places for people to pick them up and drink.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that if you dropped a canteen it would be laying sideways. And that a "spawned" canteen is standing upright. Meaning upright canteens are safe to drink and to be weary of sideways canteens...

• Like 4

Canteens also don't spawn filled.  I never drink a full canteen that is just laying around.  I have a buddy that carries a canteen and a water bottle.  One is full of gas, the other is full of water.  He figures if the guy to kills him drinks the wrong one and dies, then he has avenged himself.

• Like 4

Does anyone else do this? Fill up a canteen with gas and leave them at places for people to pick them up and drink.

No im not a dick 8P - I did find out that using a canteen for gas then emptying it and filling with water doesn't work well at all 8X

I think this is a funny subject. I mean as if you wouldn't smell the damn petrol as soon as you released the lid ? if you had petrol in a transparent water bottle you could tell its petrol straight away by the colour (well unleaded in aus is a reddish brown colour if i recall) but if what you say above is correct (which i think it is) when you place an item down from your char and it lays down as oppose to standing when spawned.. well maybe this should be your warning sign.. I just cant work out if we should have a "this smells funny" text pop up cause that would make life a little easy.. a smelling option to remember to use would be a little odd..

Anyway, maybe i need to remember this is just a ... game ?

• Like 2

didnt drink a found bottle in months, you can place them upwards. but to me thats the same behaviour as killing bambis at the beach, trolling in kavalla or placing landmines at random places. id prefer to die on a stair than by that kind of shit.

karma will get ya :D

Edited by edwin3

Canteens also don't spawn filled.  I never drink a full canteen that is just laying around.  I have a buddy that carries a canteen and a water bottle.  One is full of gas, the other is full of water.  He figures if the guy to kills him drinks the wrong one and dies, then he has avenged himself.

Hey I think my buddies killed your buddy, shot a guy at that bus depot place where two cargo trucks spawn, he was trying to get a cargo truck out of the fenced in area when my guys found him and promptly killed him. So there they are, got his loot, got his truck, and one of my friends drinks his canteens only to find he was sick! Damn trickery, no big deal though we just kept him fed and hydrated until we found charcoal tabs, we did have to saline him twice though.

I personally carry one of those little bottles of alcohol and pour it into canteens on the ground on occasion, you don't even have to pick them up.

• Like 1

I think this is a funny subject. I mean as if you wouldn't smell the damn petrol as soon as you released the lid ? if you had petrol in a transparent water bottle you could tell its petrol straight away by the colour (well unleaded in aus is a reddish brown colour if i recall) but if what you say above is correct (which i think it is) when you place an item down from your char and it lays down as oppose to standing when spawned.. well maybe this should be your warning sign.. I just cant work out if we should have a "this smells funny" text pop up cause that would make life a little easy.. a smelling option to remember to use would be a little odd..

Anyway, maybe i need to remember this is just a ... game ?

Exactly. What kind of moron just drinks anything they find in a bottle without doing some kind of basic initial check. Same with the eating/drinking sound mechanic. Who slurps and chews that loudly at any point in time?? Let alone someplace where you could be attacked at any minute if someone hears you...

• Like 1

Exactly. What kind of moron just drinks anything they find in a bottle without doing some kind of basic initial check. Same with the eating/drinking sound mechanic. Who slurps and chews that loudly at any point in time?? Let alone someplace where you could be attacked at any minute if someone hears you...

My platoon were in cover in Helmand province, Afganistan, when we spotted an enemy patrol. We were waiting to ambush when Pvt Carter's stomach started to grumble, so he decided to use his knife to open a tin of beans he happened to have on him (spilling some as he did so I might add), and then proceeded to stand up and loudly gobble down the whole can. We took heavy casualties.

• Like 4

My platoon were in cover in Helmand province, Afganistan, when we spotted an enemy patrol. We were waiting to ambush when Pvt Carter's stomach started to grumble, so he decided to use his knife to open a tin of beans he happened to have on him (spilling some as he did so I might add), and then proceeded to stand up and loudly gobble down the whole can. We took heavy casualties.

Oh wow lol. Can't tell if the base for the story is real, I know the nomming of a can isn't though.

Personally instead of being so obsessed with adding all these great new hats, and a handshake animation that NOONE will ever use because the game has been so far catered to the PvP kiddies- maybe they should fix eating animations, maybe even fix stairs?

Plus you would know its gas by smell, even in a canteen. Unless your a complete Fucktard that deserves bleach instead of gas.

Oh wow lol. Can't tell if the base for the story is real, I know the nomming of a can isn't though.

Definitely not real. I think he was illustrating the ludicrous nature of some game mechanics (e.g. losing food when opening a can with knife, stomach grumbling sounds, forced eating while standing, etc.)

• Like 1

Didn't know that^ You could always throw them and hope they don't tip

If you throw them it might be like many other items and itll just float mid air lol

That is right ! I mean where do we draw the line ? the last thing i think of when i play dayz is leaving  death beverages for people.. but thats cause i play on a quite private hive.. but the same with drinking/eating loudness.. where do we draw the line ? as if anyone in their right mind eats and drinks so loud it can be heard far away.. maybe cracking a can of drink should be relatively loud but thats because it is.. I remember when i was 17 stealing xxxx beers from my brother and his room was way down the hall of the house but i still muffled the can when i cracked it cause it was somewhat loud and i knew he would hear it.. I'm sure there is a simple solution to the checking of potential "death" beverages and maybe it should be something as simple as "inspect contents" mouse roll option when you have a bottle in your hand.. or they could atleast do a visual difference for the water bottle being slightly.. and i mean ever so slightly "off" colour change of the contents in the bottle to catch the not so suspecting survivor off guard.

We will see one day  :D

Canteens also don't spawn filled. I never drink a full canteen that is just laying around. I have a buddy that carries a canteen and a water bottle. One is full of gas, the other is full of water. He figures if the guy to kills him drinks the wrong one and dies, then he has avenged himself.

Yes they do, and you are passing up alot of water in this case. I drink what I find all the time. And I'm alive because of it.
  • Like 1

I did that too, until I accidentally drank from the wrong bottle. -.-

Yes, because I am totally going to drink that mystery-liquid that was in that canteen I found on the ground....

/snerk

game solutions

If you have a container that is either full of gas or full of water - how can you tell what is in it ?

If you have two jerrycans, one full of water and one full of diesel, and you want to fill the truck tank. What do you do ?

xx

Edited by pilgrim

game solutions

If you have a container that is either full of gas or full of water - how can you tell what is in it ?

If you have two jerrycans, one full of water and one full of diesel, and you want to fill the truck tank. What do you do ?

xx

I used to carry only water bottles and one canteen, keeping the poison in the canteen. Sometimes I only had canteens, but only one of them was damaged so I kept it in the damaged one.

• Like 1

LMAO love it! :)

Definitely not real. I think he was illustrating the ludicrous nature of some game mechanics (e.g. losing food when opening a can with knife, stomach grumbling sounds, forced eating while standing, etc.)

And you lose a few % too lol. With a sledge hammer you should lose a lot. With a knife nothing but I see why the do it because it makes collecting the can opener worthwhile to those people that want the best tool for the job. Did anyone ever die because they lost 6% of beans?

I personally carry one of those little bottles of alcohol and pour it into canteens on the ground on occasion, you don't even have to pick them up.

Sneaky bastard. :P