dethorhyne

[Release] DayZ Config Tweak tool

Version 1.3.0 is now out. First posts were edited. You may also download this version via application itself. just go to settings and press "Download new version."

Version 1.3.0 features:
>Custom made dialog controllers
>Improved user experience with certain warnings
>About page
>Download improvements
>Saving improvements
>Statistics improvements
>Code optimization
>Some other minor tweaks

Overall, this is a good update and will fix some issues I've noticed some have.

Download:

wow thank u

• Like 1

This shit needs to be pinned.

how could I get the mods to do that?

There have been malicious apps "released" before, and its never been from someone with lots of participation history.  Who knows what you may or may not have put in that .exe of yours; I think its fair to ask a clarifying question, no?

Totally agree.

I'm going easy and I'm calm, I just countered your question with one of my own.

It's true that there's a lot of such application, I can not say there aren't which clearly justifies your precatioun, but do you seriously believe someone would go through 27 pages of complex documentation and over 2k lines code just to pull of some virus scam; I highly doubt that.

I would say you did a little bit more than "just countered" a question as indicated by the quote below.

Why would you highly doubt someone going through a lot of work then putting in a backdoor for personal gain? Thats how the internet works so get your head of out the sand.

Thus I ask; why is your mind being so little

A bit rude, dude. 

Why would you highly doubt someone going through a lot of work then putting in a backdoor for personal gain? Thats how the internet works so get your head of out the sand.

I don't need to doubt my work because I know what I wrote in that application. I don't need any personal gain from you nor do I want something your's. I work hard for my accomplishments.

And seriously, after 2 pages of mostly positive feedback you adress this from the first posts of the thread? I'm sure you have a lovely plunger by your toilet judging from what you like to do.

Maybe you should be the one getting your head out of the sand and go home.

I'll make it clear once and for all for you, I'm a nice and honest person who's looking to help the DayZ community, but I won't sit idle and let the likes of you shit on my hard work. If you don't plan to use the application because of your paranoia or whatever, no one is forcing you too, but then don't talk against it either. You're free to make your own application, but you most likely don't even know how.

P.S. I'd even showcase my code for you to see, however that might be misused for what you're worrying over in the first place.

P.S.S. Currenty there's 100+ users who used this application at least once (only in past 3 days from the update where I stated I do collect some data for statistical purposes and bugfixing for official website release). If there were something malicious, I believe one of them would've already made a complaint.

Edited by dethorhyne

I don't need to doubt my work because I know what I wrote in that application. I don't need any personal gain from you nor do I want something your's. I work hard for my accomplishments.

And seriously, after 2 pages of mostly positive feedback you adress this from the first posts of the thread? I'm sure you have a lovely plunger by your toilet judging from what you like to do.

Maybe you should be the one getting your head out of the sand and go home.

I'll make it clear once and for all for you, I'm a nice and honest person who's looking to help the DayZ community, but I won't sit idle and let the likes of you shit on my hard work. If you don't plan to use the application because of your paranoia or whatever, no one is forcing you too, but then don't talk against it either. You're free to make your own application, but you most likely don't even know how.

If you can't take legitimate concerns and scrutiny, maybe you're in the wrong business. You got rude, got called out, and apparently can't handle it.

I'm not a troll here, check my posting history. I have been in the occasional dispute, but 95% of my posts are positive. Maybe thats something you should incorporate before jumping down someones throat. Also, you're acting like 2 pages is something to brag about. Take it easy son.

My head IS out of the sand and I'm typing this message FROM home. Nobody is shitting on your work, there are legitimate concerns and as a developer you need to get on board with. Otherwise you're going to make everyone even more suspicious. Nobody here knows you from a hole the wall, you drop an .exe and expect everyone to eat it up and not question security? Nobody knows you're a nice kid as Klesh indicated because there is no baseline for interpretation. So yea, prepare for scrutiny.

I don't know how to make and application and I don't care to. Like you're better than someone else because you do? Very mature of you.

As far as DayZRP goes, stick a fork in them because they're done. They recently had as many as 5 servers, now its 2 and mostly numbers are low. The guy running the forum openly calls people "retards"...sounds like a role model to me. Nice community you got there. I question any dedicated player from DayZRP. Maybe someone has a disabled child and reads that. Very mature.

d7AidnE.png

SOURCE: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-New-rule-Impersonation

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Well anyway, back on topic.

I tried the application and it worked fine, had no strange things happening and scanning the .exe with AV it gave no positives (I know, doesn't say much).

I had a minor fps increase but that's maybe because I was already running the game pretty much optimized for my system.

If you can't take legitimate concerns and scrutiny, maybe you're in the wrong business. You got rude, got called out, and apparently can't handle it.

I'm not a troll here, check my posting history. I have been in the occasional dispute, but 95% of my posts are positive. Maybe thats something you should incorporate before jumping down someones throat. Also, you're acting like 2 pages is something to brag about. Take it easy son.

My head IS out of the sand and I'm typing this message FROM home. Nobody is shitting on your work, there are legitimate concerns and as a developer you need to get on board with. Otherwise you're going to make everyone even more suspicious. Nobody here knows you from a hole the wall, you drop an .exe and expect everyone to eat it up and not question security? Nobody knows you're a nice kid as Klesh indicated because there is no baseline for interpretation. So yea, prepare for scrutiny.

I don't know how to make and application and I don't care to. Like you're better than someone else because you do? Very mature of you.

As far as DayZRP goes, stick a fork in them because they're done. They recently had as many as 5 servers, now its 2 and mostly numbers are low. The guy running the forum openly calls people "retards"...sounds like a role model to me. Nice community you got there. I question any dedicated player from DayZRP. Maybe someone has a disabled child and reads that. Very mature.

[image]

SOURCE: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-New-rule-Impersonation

I know how to take concerns buddy, that's why I already posted a virus scan (what else is there to do here if people don't believe what they use) and more importantly, at no point in this thread was I ever rude or insulting. Only thing I did was defend myself and my work. I have a sharp way of talking, that's not being rude, that's just not sweet-talking and being direct.

Your posting history is none of my concerns as I wasn't a part of those disputes. They have got nothing to do with me and regardless of your posts being positive or negative, I will look at you based on how you treat me and my work. You know that saying "A person who treats you nicely, but acts like a douche-bag to the waiter is not a nice person." thus implying I should respect you based on how you address others instead of how you address me doesn't really make a lot of sense.

And lets break something down.

Most likely 70% of DayZ community is content with how the game runs thus don't even look for something like this. I know a lot of people like this that in fact insist on not changing any settings to make their game run better (does not imply me forcing my app on them as such occurrences were before it was made)

15% have probably never opened this forum.

13% deal with this in another way as they've most likely never saw this thread or ever heard of the tool.

1.95% might have actually stumbled upon this but don't bother commenting.

0.05% have actually commented.

So yes, 2 pages in 3 days is something I'm proud off.

And let me reiterate myself, I hardly believe anyone would do what I did while presenting DCTT. Using real name, real E-mail, writing a big documentation, continuously supporting the tool and most importantly post it on official forum just to drop a virus or whatever. In fact, I don't even know how to make one. I've learnt 80% of methods used in creating this tool on the go.

I never implied I was better than you by being able to make a program. Anyone could sit behind Visual, MSDN and stackoverflow and learn how to make something in a matter of minutes, I only implied that if you don't want to use it, don't.

As far as DayZRP goes that's not even remotely relevant to this. Only mentions of DayZRP is where I stated I released it there so guys could help me out before I pushed it out in public. And it's just a community I'm part of, I am not, I quote, a dedicated player from DayZRP, as you've implied.

Summary:

If this tool is malicious, someone would've already notice that by now and I would've been probably banned already.

If you have ANY reason what so ever not to use the tool, NOBODY, especially not me, is forcing you to. It's like a glass of free lemonade from a lemonade stand on the street, if you want to drink, go ahead, if you don't, just walk away.

Speaking of walking away; if you don't have anything actually constructive or helpful to say in this little conversation we're having, you're free to do so just so you could show some consideration for me and my work. On the other hand, if you actually have something nice to say or propose, I will with dedication read through that and see how it can be implemented to make a positive changes in DayZ to all players.

Well anyway, back on topic.

I tried the application and it worked fine, had no strange things happening and scanning the .exe with AV it gave no positives (I know, doesn't say much).

I had a minor fps increase but that's maybe because I was already running the game pretty much optimized for my system.

Of course, I believe on first page somewhere lower I did in fact post a virustotal scan. It's a bit safer because it remotely tests the exe on 55 or 56 (not sure) different anti virus scanners. As expect, all turned out to be negative.

Speaking of fps increase, biggest reasons for fps drops are view distance and scene complexity. Before on my GT240 I could even ram up clouds, post fx and shadows to max and still have similar fps as before, simply because most of the scenery itself and bad object culling is what's causing the drops (culling is basically removing the object from the scene in case there's something obstructing it's visibility, e.g. looking at a wall in cherno will still give bad framerate even though the only thing you see is the wall itself, however the game at current state still renders all objects behind the wall thus even though you can't see them, they're eating away your resources).

Try addressing those issues. Of course, a screenshot of your current settings would be a great way for me to see what can I suggest you to do.

Addendum: I hope you're running dayz on your SSD.. your CPU might be a bit of a bottleneck as well. memory and GPU is okay for gaming and you shouldn't have problems with that.. if nothing else,turning down render quality to 83% in-game might give you an improvement (as it did to me) but then again I'm sure you're reluctant to doing that as scene itself may look a bit uglier then, but I've found that 83% is the best quality/performance wise.

Edited by dethorhyne

Addendum: I hope you're running dayz on your SSD.. your CPU might be a bit of a bottleneck as well. memory and GPU is okay for gaming and you shouldn't have problems with that.. if nothing else,turning down render quality to 83% in-game might give you an improvement (as it did to me) but then again I'm sure you're reluctant to doing that as scene itself may look a bit uglier then, but I've found that 83% is the best quality/performance wise.

Yes it's running on my SSD, below the settings I have which are mostly as I already had them. I reduced view distance just a little which is probably why I did have some minor fps increase.

I get in big cities between 17-25 fps, towns 25-30 ,in forest around 35-40, in open fields 40-65, sometimes a little higher. I think all in all you cannot expect much more from my system (and not making the game look too ugly) since indeed my CPU is the biggest bottleneck. I have played the game with an overclocked CPU (3.4) but the gain is not significant enough. Overclocking the GPU made hardly any difference so I have my system running on default speeds again.

JPWzEPs.jpg

Yes it's running on my SSD, below the settings I have which are mostly as I already had them. I reduced view distance just a little which is probably why I did have some minor fps increase.

I get in big cities between 17-25 fps, towns 25-30 ,in forest around 35-40, in open fields 40-65, sometimes a little higher. I think all in all you cannot expect much more from my system (and not making the game look too ugly) since indeed my CPU is the biggest bottleneck. I have played the game with an overclocked CPU (3.4) but the gain is not significant enough. Overclocking the GPU made hardly any difference so I have my system running on default speeds again.

JPWzEPs.jpg

Priority:

>Set texture memory to Auto. This is always for the best even though you know how much GPU RAM you have.

>Texture detail can be high or even extra high since you have 8 gigs of ram and run the game from ssd.

Suggestions:

>Since you use AA, you can set AToC to max. it won't do any damage but you'll get a better view through foliage.

>You can set terrain to lowest value, it will give some improvement and won't make changes to game. (it might remove all grass, but ONLY in main menu, in-game it'll all be good.)

>Toning down scene complexity (Object quality) will give you quite a boost in towns. Try setting this to value between 150,000 and 200,000 (Slider tooltip will tell you the value when you're holding it down.

Optional:

>Many users actually say it's easier to play with shadows off. Try disabling shadow quality and shadow distance to minimal values and report back.

>There's rarely a place you'll see someone at 2km away out of the blue. Lower this to 1,5km or even 1,2. When you zoom in with right mouse button or look through scope this will automatically be extended, so basically lower view distance only implies on the distance you can see when not using scopes or zooming in.

here for comparison:

Specs: 6GB of DDR2 ram

x4 3.2GHz AMD 

normal hdd

GTX 960

1440x900 resolution.

hewtjl9.png

I'm getting pretty good results with this.. even tho it's still far from optimal especially in bigger cities.

Edited by dethorhyne

If you let the bickering continue, you may not get the exposure that this needs. I messaged orlok about getting this pinned. Probably best to keep that in mind.

• Like 1

If you let the bickering continue, you may not get the exposure that this needs. I messaged orlok about getting this pinned. Probably best to keep that in mind.

Thank you, your contribution is much appreciated. 

And don't worry, if he continues the argument I'll just ignore/report it. I understand people still have their concerns, but his approach is not something I want to tolerate. Hopefully the discussion is over.

• Like 2

Priority:

>Set texture memory to Auto. This is always for the best even though you know how much GPU RAM you have.

>Texture detail can be high or even extra high since you have 8 gigs of ram and run the game from ssd.

Suggestions:

>Since you use AA, you can set AToC to max. it won't do any damage but you'll get a better view through foliage.

>You can set terrain to lowest value, it will give some improvement and won't make changes to game. (it might remove all grass, but ONLY in main menu, in-game it'll all be good.)

>Toning down scene complexity (Object quality) will give you quite a boost in towns. Try setting this to value between 150,000 and 200,000 (Slider tooltip will tell you the value when you're holding it down.

Optional:

>Many users actually say it's easier to play with shadows off. Try disabling shadow quality and shadow distance to minimal values and report back.

>There's rarely a place you'll see someone at 2km away out of the blue. Lower this to 1,5km or even 1,2. When you zoom in with right mouse button or look through scope this will automatically be extended, so basically lower view distance only implies on the distance you can see when not using scopes or zooming in.

I used your suggested settings and it does help a little in the bigger cities. I will keep view distance at 2 km because I use certain landmarks to navigate and I need to see them (towers, castles and so on).

Thanks!

I used your suggested settings and it does help a little in the bigger cities. I will keep view distance at 2 km because I use certain landmarks to navigate and I need to see them (towers, castles and so on).

Thanks!

Towers (like on green mountain(, castles (any castle structure) and mountains (since it's terrain) can be seen regardless of view distance.

Towers (like on green mountain(, castles (any castle structure) and mountains (since it's terrain) can be seen regardless of view distance.

Hmm, are you sure? Because I was pretty sure I wasn't seeing the green mountain antenna from Zeleno until I reached the outskirts. I normally see it much sooner and it also took longer before I started to see the red/white coloring.

Edited by SAK

I scanned this with three virus scanners no hits. Also it does not ask for admin permissions so in theory it shouldn't be able to access the registry and steal my CD key. So I ran it and it works pretty good. 

I know how to take concerns buddy, that's why I already posted a virus scan (what else is there to do here if people don't believe what they use) and more importantly, at no point in this thread was I ever rude or insulting. 

As far as DayZRP goes that's not even remotely relevant to this. Only mentions of DayZRP is where I stated I released it there so guys could help me out before I pushed it out in public. And it's just a community I'm part of, I am not, I quote, a dedicated player from DayZRP, as you've implied.

Buddy? That has a condescending tone. Yes, you were rude as seen below. I brought up DayZRP because you said you were a respected player there and used the community as a character witness. Well, I brought that up and shed some light that the owner is a jerk so you being respected there doesn't mean anything.

why is your mind being so little

Saying someones mind is little, is rude.

Have your little man last word, I'm done.

Hmm, are you sure? Because I was pretty sure I wasn't seeing the green mountain antenna from Zeleno until I reached the outskirts. I normally see it much sooner and it also took longer before I started to see the red/white coloring.

I'm pretty sure, but I'll get back to that in a sec. I'll go in-game and check.. I'm at stari sobor, it shouldn't take me more than 15 minutes to get to gm.

Update:

on this setting:

viewDistance=900;

GM antenna can be seen from 1250 meters. 
zooming in on it with scope will improve LoD on the building, but trees in between still won't be rendered. I can't guarantee players would be visible either, however if you had trees that render as far you wouldn't see them anyway.
t9KxBQ8.png

however for terrain landmarks, veresnik hill can be seen from 2-3 km if not even more if you can find a suitable place, because there won't be any trees in the distance that will obscure your vision.
gnDvTfA.jpg

Now I'm not sure if this is same for daytime, because I've always had better framerate during the night for some reason.

I'm 100% positive that castles can be seen from greater distance because on same view distance I could see Black mountain from outskirts of the airfield.

I scanned this with three virus scanners no hits. Also it does not ask for admin permissions so in theory it shouldn't be able to access the registry and steal my CD key. So I ran it and it works pretty good. 

I believe registry access works even without elevation, and most viruses do too.. if this tool can create and copy a .txt file, I'm pretty sure another worm virus could copy paste whatever else. but that's another story.

I'm glad DCTT worked well for you :)

Edited by dethorhyne

I would love to see an official word from the staff here before adding third party software to the game.

• Like 1

I would love to see an official word from the staff here before adding third party software to the game.

me too, in fact. I keep waiting for someone from the staff to address this and maybe even correct me if some of my calculations were wrong.

regardless, this isn't adding tps TO the game since it's not supposed to run along with the game.

Edited by dethorhyne

We would not want to approve a tool that is able to edit values beyond the parameters of what users are able to do from ingame menus. The reason being is that we also do not want to risk receiving unnecessary noise via the feedback tracker for example regarding client crashes or other issues that this might cause.

We are also little concerned about the DAYZ CONFIG TWEAK TOOL TERMS OF USE and the save system sending information, whatever be the reason behind this need : ("For statistical purposes each save will update online database with your Player Name. No other personal data will be taken.and the user agreement").
However it is up to you, the user.

Just as with any other 3rd party program, users can utilise it at their own risk. However, we do not hand out a ribbon-of-approval for any such tools and we do not perform support in relation to things breaking as a result of using them.

We do however acknowledge the work that has gone into the creation of this application.

• Like 1

We would not want to approve a tool that is able to edit values beyond the parameters of what users are able to do from ingame menus. The reason being is that we also do not want to risk receiving unnecessary noise via the feedback tracker for example regarding client crashes or other issues that this might cause.

We are also little concerned about the DAYZ CONFIG TWEAK TOOL TERMS OF USE and the save system sending information, whatever be the reason behind this need : ("For statistical purposes each save will update online database with your Player Name. No other personal data will be taken.and the user agreement").

However it is up to you, the user.

Just as with any other 3rd party program, users can utilise it at their own risk. However, we do not hand out a ribbon-of-approval for any such tools and we do not perform support in relation to things breaking as a result of using them.

We do however acknowledge the work that has gone into the creation of this application.

Perfectly reasonable, but taken into consideration many follow text-based tutorials to improve framerate, this is a much safer environment for such changes where values can not go beyond or over what's the game expecting and more importantly typos can not happen here. the system works even regardless of capitalization of each character, so that too will work same for everyone.

Regardless crashing issues, nobody can guarantee there won't be a crash here and there, but it's not like the game when ran with vanilla settings will prevent 100% crashing.

Terms of use do say that for that very purpose. It is up to the user to decide whether he wants to provide this information or not by using the tool or not. (Next iteration will probably have that as a setting. ideas come and go. ) It's anonymous yet helps me to see where I need to go with the tool because everything I do with the tool I do for users.

I do appreciate the acknowledgment for my work and I'm looking forward to seeing many more DayZ players get their game run with more frames as we all know that optimization is an issue.

Can someone confirm this is not a virus or anything like it? My senses tingle when someone wants me to download some SUPER AWESOME MEGA STUFF!

Edited by IgnobleBasterd

Can someone confirm this is not a virus or anything like it? My senses tingle when someone wants me to download some SUPER AWESOME MEGA STUFF!

read the thread

Is there a reason that you can't freely adjust Object View Distance? Or is it actually Object View Distance slider and you can't adjust View Distance? Also the real max for Shadow Distance is 2000m like in Take On Helicopters when I've tested it a while ago, though I can understand why you don't make it go beyond 300m :P

• Like 1

Yeah, as you can see, pretty much everyone implies that dctt did good for them and that the thread should be pinned, that's kind of a 'green light' sign for me.

But yes, it's not a virus and it's completely safe to use. I made a video overview and demonstration yesterday, check it out: