dethorhyne

[Release] DayZ Config Tweak tool

Is there a reason that you can't freely adjust Object View Distance? Or is it actually Object View Distance slider and you can't adjust View Distance? Also the real max for Shadow Distance is 2000m like in Take On Helicopters when I've tested it a while ago, though I can understand why you don't make it go beyond 300m :P

didn't know. Will fix. Thanks! This is actually the kind of feedback I need the most! :)

edit: fixed.

orY1Mxw.png

Preferred object view distance is mostly just a bit lower than view distance. inside the application pov is fixed to be 200m less then vd. It's pretty much the optimal distance.

Edited by dethorhyne

Guys guys come on , you don't have to attack him if you aren't even going to try and see what it's all about or if it's malicious ! Try it , then belittle if need be after you have actually seen if it works !

Lol, calling someone small of mind when they ask a perfectly polite albeit direct question is not an attack?

Maybe it's just a Croat translation issue, no?

And just to add a degree of directness myself,

self justification and telling people 'don't worry its fine i've checked it myself' and being the supposed creator is called 'conflict of interest'...

I'd wait for a more objective review personally before trying this software package, but I'm sure there will be front-runners willing to blaze the trail for those less quick to take the jump.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Lol, calling someone small of mind when they ask a perfectly polite albeit direct question is not an attack?

Maybe it's just a Croat translation issue, no?

And just to add a degree of directness myself,

self justification and telling people 'don't worry its fine i've checked it myself' and being the supposed creator is called 'conflict of interest'...

I'd wait for a more objective review personally before trying this software package, but I'm sure there will be front-runners willing to blaze the trail for those less quick to take the jump.

not really a translation issue, English is more native to me than Croatian. 

Let's just say that asking me something of that kind is asking a fat-ish lady how old the baby is. You just don't. :D

I've only implied I know that I haven't put anything edgy in there. others checked the file. and of course, it wasn't detected as a virus.

It's okay to wait, I didn't come here saying "you must use this now or burn forever in the depths of hell", I just delivered a tool for DayZ players to use.

and as far as an "objective review" isn't it enough that BI staff checked the tool themselves? (Thread was hidden by boneboys after which he forwarded dctt to BI staff for them to check if everything is okay.) As you can see, thread is back, logic will do the rest.

Edited by dethorhyne

not really a translation issue, English is more native to me than Croatian. 

Let's just say that asking me something of that kind is asking a fat-ish lady how old the baby is. You just don't. :D

Oh, ok.

So you have no excuse then.

Seeing as you've got the language part down, but seem to lack either the social or cultural toolkit, here's a free tip:

[metaphor]You sell more product when you don't belittle your consumer base.[/metaphor]

Regardless crashing issues, nobody can guarantee there won't be a crash here and there, but it's not like the game when ran with vanilla settings will prevent 100% crashing.

That is absolutely true. The difference is, if we receive crash dumps for the team to analyze, it might be more difficult for them to figure out what causes the crash when using settings outside the boundaries of the base settings/values. All things considered, it will always be easier for the team to investigate crashes and bugs as they occur in an environment that is tampered with as little as possible.

Oh, ok.

So you have no excuse then.

Seeing as you've got the language part down, but seem to lack either the social or cultural toolkit, here's a free tip:

[metaphor]You sell more product when you don't belittle your consumer base.[/metaphor]

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. but I'm not EA, BI or Activision, not everything I do will be 60€ and be sold like it's free. I'm but a small individual trying to do something for others and on top of that I'm moving from town to town, changing universities, jobs and still among these things I've dedicated some available time to help others and seek acknowledgment from others . so it's not really "nothing" when someone says a negative thing.

Then again to return to that original post. It wasn't even meant as an insult. If you have a friend that does something stupid you'll say he did something stupid. NOT that he's stupid, but that his action was. This was kind of a similar thing, if you understand what I'm trying to say.

P.S. There's a slight chance that my English is off today. I'm tired and currently in the middle of cleaning so yeah, sorry about that.

• Like 1

That is absolutely true. The difference is, if we receive crash dumps for the team to analyze, it might be more difficult for them to figure out what causes the crash when using settings outside the boundaries of the base settings/values. All things considered, it will always be easier for the team to investigate crashes and bugs as they occur in an environment that is tampered with as little as possible.

That's true as well, but dctt will only allow you to change view distance, shading and lower scene complexity below minimal value. other settings can be normally changed in game like they can here and there will be no difference whatsoever (that's how I tested min/max values in the first place)

Scene complexity might be a small issue, but shading and view distance won't. Surely that tree down the field that you can/can't see won't break your game.

Then again, having less memory consumed by the game due to lower scene complexity shouldn't either. 

I would like to ask you, however, if you could take a look at the image on the first post that says DayZ Configuration Dictionary to check if something is off. I'm sure you'll have a better clue at this as a developer than I that just trial and error-ed everything.

Edited by dethorhyne

That's true as well, but dctt will only allow you to change view distance, shading and lower scene complexity below minimal value. other settings can be normally changed in game like they can here and there will be no difference whatsoever (that's how I tested min/max values in the first place)

Scene complexity might be a small issue, but shading and view distance won't. Surely that tree down the field that you can/can't see won't break your game.

Then again, having less memory consumed by the game due to lower scene complexity shouldn't either. 

I would like to ask you, however, if you could take a look at the image on the first post that says DayZ Configuration Dictionary to check if something is off. I'm sure you'll have a better clue at this as a developer than I that just trial and error-ed everything.

:D I thank you for your confidence, but I'm not the authority on that field.

I wouldn't know what would or would not break as a result of tools/programs created by any 3rd party. I'm just saying that we are not prepared to set aside man hours from the project in order to check what these tools will do to the game. This is not just for the program that you created. As mentioned by Boneboys, this is a caveat for all users interested in using any 3rd party created software; you use it at your own risk. We do not perform support in relation to things breaking as a result of using such programs.

• Like 2

:D I thank you for your confidence, but I'm not the authority on that field.

Haha! You're welcome, but then again, should've expected that. If everyone knew everything then technically even a single developer would be enough, am I right?

Haha! You're welcome, but then again, should've expected that. If everyone knew everything then technically even a single developer would be enough, am I right?

Awh, I'm sure that would be every investor's wet dream, haha.

Awh, I'm sure that would be every investor's wet dream, haha.

Yeah I bet. Would be great to be one of those know-it-alls though.

I wouldn't know what would or would not break as a result of tools/programs created by any 3rd party. I'm just saying that we are not prepared to set aside man hours from the project in order to check what these tools will do to the game. This is not just for the program that you created. As mentioned by Boneboys, this is a caveat for all users interested in using any 3rd party created software; you use it at your own risk. We do not perform support in relation to things breaking as a result of using such programs.

I only saw this now;

It's true that some apps might crash the game, such as ENB or something like that that actually HOOKS to the game itself. The point of this config tweaker is indeed to run it and set everything prior to running the actual game. And as I said, chaninging 90% of things here can be done in-game as well. As for other 10% a great deal of players already have that configured. They just did it manually.

Might give this a go. OP has to admit that it does look a bit dodgy - one of my first thoughts was that it might contain malware. However, if people have run various virus scans on it I guess I don't have any reason to think it's nefarious in any way.

Is the data we send off automatic or can we choose to send it? I would certainly rather have the choice since I don't feel all that safe sending data off to a third party, no matter what that data is. Also are we able to see what files this program modifies so we can make backups?

Can it be said now that if I happen to get a Battleye/VAC ban in the very near future, this is the culprit? ;D I know, I know, it doesn't hook into the .exe or .dlls or whatever, but software like this is always going to be suspicious to both people and anti-cheat programs.

So yeah. I might give it a go maybe tonight, or I might wait and see what the general consensus is and so on.

Might give this a go. OP has to admit that it does look a bit dodgy - one of my first thoughts was that it might contain malware. However, if people have run various virus scans on it I guess I don't have any reason to think it's nefarious in any way.

Yeah, it's not a virus. Check faq on first post.

Is the data we send off automatic or can we choose to send it? I would certainly rather have the choice since I don't feel all that safe sending data off to a third party, no matter what that data is.

Currently it's automatic. But it's only the playerName value. I use it for two reasons: 1. Check how you saved so I could see if it would be worth it to create a "cloud based" backup as that will require me to learn how more things work to make it functional and there will be a need for online security check which I can't ignore. And 2: Check downloads through app so I could relay estimated traffic to my server administrator.

I was planning to implement option to disable that data sending but I didn't have time before I had to leave for the train. It will be in next version that I will release when I get home (17th of September).

Also are we able to see what files this program modifies so we can make backups?

Check documentation page 4 and 11.

Can it be said now that if I happen to get a Battleye/VAC ban in the very near future, this is the culprit? ;D I know, I know, it doesn't hook into the .exe or .dlls or whatever, but software like this is always going to be suspicious to both people and anti-cheat programs.

No. You can't get banned. I'll reiterate what says in this thread and maybe even in the documentation. This tool is not intended to run while the game is running.

Chance of a getting ban from dctt is IDENTICAL to getting banned from having notepad opened. As it does exactly that, change text and saves the text file in .cfg and .DayZProfile format.

So yeah. I might give it a go maybe tonight, or I might wait and see what the general consensus is and so on.

It's up to you as the end user to decide. I haven't, as a developer of this tool recieved a single negative feedback so far (based on those who actually tried the tool!) and BI confirmed this to be safe (which is why this thread back after it was taken down by Boneboys for the time being of it being checked by bi staff.

Hope that cleared your concerns. If you have any more questions feel free to ask here or even better on my mail (which you can find in documentation or in case app crashes, which it shouldn't at this point but it can happen.)

We would not want to approve a tool that is able to edit values beyond the parameters of what users are able to do from ingame menus. The reason being is that we also do not want to risk receiving unnecessary noise via the feedback tracker for example regarding client crashes or other issues that this might cause.

We are also little concerned about the DAYZ CONFIG TWEAK TOOL TERMS OF USE and the save system sending information, whatever be the reason behind this need : ("For statistical purposes each save will update online database with your Player Name. No other personal data will be taken.and the user agreement").

However it is up to you, the user.

Just as with any other 3rd party program, users can utilise it at their own risk. However, we do not hand out a ribbon-of-approval for any such tools and we do not perform support in relation to things breaking as a result of using them.

We do however acknowledge the work that has gone into the creation of this application.

Thank you both for the replies to this, I was mostly worried about being banned for having a 3rd party program edit my files.

No offence to the creator but I'll hold off on your software purely for my own peace of mind.

Thank you both for the replies to this, I was mostly worried about being banned for having a 3rd party program edit my files.

No offence to the creator but I'll hold off on your software purely for my own peace of mind.

I am not forcing you, so no offence taken. And it's okay. I understand some people are scared of changes and sometimes just can't reason with logic. We've all had moments like this. If you ever decide to change your mind and try it out anyway since 150+ who did don't have any problems using dctt which is nothing more but a pretty notepad...which most of you used anyway to change the configuration values manually.

Thanks for the feedback though :)

• Like 1

I have been using the tool for at least 40 hours now and no bans yet :)

And indeed, I already used to edit my config files so there is no major difference, just a lot easier method.

Also no strange experiences indicating malware or anything like that.

I have been using the tool for at least 40 hours now and no bans yet :)

And indeed, I already used to edit my config files so there is no major difference, just a lot easier method.

Also no strange experiences indicating malware or anything like that.

Of course. And yeah, as I said.. this is basically like a prettier version of a notepad specially designed for DayZ so everything should be okay no matter what you do.

And here I come with an update.
1.4.0 is out and there are some new features.
>Themes have been tweaked a bit
>Backend code was optimized for the app to work better and fit new features.
>Ability to decide whether you want to help out by providing your playername or not (for statistical and future improvization purposes)
>Some other minor things.

You can download it via the application, 
here on onedrive: http://1drv.ms/1USoFpg
Or on the first post of this thread

Downloaded. Installed. Needed an update according to the program. Updated. Used. Worked as promised- nothing more nothing less. Awesome.

Closed program.

Played dayz.

Still playing.

Still playing.

I understand some scrutiny but good grief some of you are acting like you're putting your tongue on an escalator handrail.

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 4

Downloaded. Installed. Needed an update according to the program. Updated. Used. Worked as promised- nothing more nothing less. Awesome.

Closed program.

Played dayz.

Still playing.

Still playing.

I understand some scrutiny but good grief some of you are acting like you're putting your tongue on an escalator handrail.

I agree, some carefulness is wise but dethorhyne seems to be getting a lot of flak for generally paying the general public a service. Like I said, been using the tool for a while and achieved a good FPS boost while not suffering in eye candy. This tool makes it a lot easier to tweak the game to max performance on your specific system.

• Like 2

I agree, some carefulness is wise but dethorhyne seems to be getting a lot of flak for generally paying the general public a service. Like I said, been using the tool for a while and achieved a good FPS boost while not suffering in eye candy. This tool makes it a lot easier to tweak the game to max performance on your specific system.

Well yeah, I understand people being a bit cautious and scared of getting banned or this app itself being some kind of a virus but I as I implied many times over, I'm doing this for the dayz community, the good of it. Nothing else.

Thank you for your continous positive feedback. It means a lot to me :)

Closed program.

Played dayz.

Still playing.

Still playing.

Hahaha, well said. But you know, some are more paranoid than other. I was scared of the rollercoaster too at one point, but once I've tried it I loved it.

Then on the other hand my mom is afraid of putting a gas tank in her car even though it's 3x cheaper than gasoline because it could blow up even if chances of it blowing up are lower than gasoline tank exploding.. but oh well. we all have our issues we deal with :)

Thank you for the positive feedback though, I'm glad you liked this.

• Like 1

Well yeah, I understand people being a bit cautious and scared of getting banned or this app itself being some kind of a virus but I as I implied many times over, I'm doing this for the dayz community, the good of it. Nothing else.

Thank you for your continous positive feedback. It means a lot to me :)

You know- it's kind of occurred to me that the way the community responded to this was like they were in game responding to someone who had offered them an SVD. Sure- I'll take it... and while I'm standing there you end up drawing the derringer I didn't see in your hand and shoot me with it while I have my guard down. Or maybe you join me and my associates and travel with us to a destination... halfway there you say your character is cold and needs a fire to warm up. We set about building a nice, warm fire for our new friend to show how nice we are and you mow us down with the UMP45 you had tucked in your backpack. 

Make a nice program to do nothing other than help people do things to improve their gameplay experience for free- Well... it's GOT to be stuffed full of trojans and keyloggers to mine my identity and all my banking information. 

And while I sound sarcastic at the end... I'm not meaning to. I'm dead serious- We're so used to "the catch" we seem to apply it out of here as well. 

Like you said- be careful... but don't be rude about it. 

I'm putting this on my second computer now too- so a second thank you to you for your work! 

Edited by ENO75

You know- it's kind of occurred to me that the way the community responded to this was like they were in game responding to someone who had offered them an SVD. Sure- I'll take it... and while I'm standing there you end up drawing the derringer I didn't see in your hand and shoot me with it while I have my guard down. Or maybe you join me and my associates and travel with us to a destination... halfway there you say your character is cold and needs a fire to warm up. We set about building a nice, warm fire for our new friend to show how nice we are and you mow us down with the UMP45 you had tucked in your backpack. 

Make a nice program to do nothing other than help people do things to improve their gameplay experience for free- Well... it's GOT to be stuffed full of trojans and keyloggers to mine my identity and all my banking information. 

And while I sound sarcastic at the end... I'm not meaning to. I'm dead serious- We're so used to "the catch" we seem to apply it out of here as well. 

Like you said- be careful... but don't be rude about it. 

I'm putting this on my second computer now too- so a second thank you to you for your work! 

hahahaha, these were some pretty nasty but nice comparisons! Luckily for everyone, that's not the case. Of course, believed it or not, I legitimately don't even know how to create a trojan or a keylogger. I'd love showcasing the code as well, but I kind of fear of others might wanting to steal it and actually use it to cover up an actual virus that would have my name on it which is the last thing I want to happen.

Regardless, thank you for the trust and I hope you'll enjoy what this simple tool offers. :)

P.S.

I actually tried few days ago to make myself an application that will run in fullscreen, disable all functions like ctrl alt delete and everything else only showing a PIN textbox (basically another lock screen) in the middle so my roommate can't use my PC because he annoyed me but constantly plays games on my PC, messing up my desk with ash and beer and leaving my new lovely deathadder greasy and whatnot with food because his laptop is crap.. in the end failed miserably because I didn't know how to get things to work. Of course, you'd think "why wouldn't you just change password and PIN?" Well I could, but my MS account is linked to my phone and I don't want to re-login everywhere again :D

Now as a long story short.. the dayz config tweak tool isn't really just for others, it's for me as well.. I challenge myself to create things simply to get better at coding, I didn't know most of things what are in this tool's code before I started working on it, but luckily everything worked out alright and I've learned a lot about C# and WPF and the best part, final result of this learning is something that will benefit everyone here, which is why I focus on it so hard to make it suitable for everyone.

• Like 1

Hey everyone!
It's been quite some time but I finally have news, and they're good one.

I've got my hands on a proper domain, and I've merged everything from the old to the new one + I'm here to deliver a new version of the application that will be synced with the new version.

Next version will probably be a full revamp of the tool using some (to me) new technologies in C#. :)

Cheers guys, you can download the new version through the application or here:

Version 1.5.0 Download

Hello again!

Thanks to a contribution from a community member Steven R. I've added an option to see and copy/paste last server's IP address and name for easier management if something in-game goes wrong.

CutTH07.png

You may download the newest version through the application or here via direct link:

DayZ Config Tweak tool v1.6.0.exe

And to all those who decide to report my thread, I would like to add something. There's nothing about this tool that's ill mannered.. I've had my thread taken down twice just because someone decided to report this thread even though he had no justification to do so as everything is clean. So please think twice before reporting the thread or at least contact me first!

• Like 1