billyangstadt

Will we EVER see DayZ get to this level of gruesome?

Hope so, i think it fits the game well enough. Half eaten corpses, missing limbs, pools of blood, etc. all add to the atmosphere.

There's an idea, blood trails. Makes it easy to hunt down wounded animals (and other prey, ofcourse).

Edited by Greaves
  • Like 1

Hopefully they will start making Chernarus a less empty place near the end of Alpha/Beta, I played for 41 hours when I bought the game in the first week or so and while the game was enjoyable the only really good part of the game is player encounters at the moment, rest of the time I felt I was roaming around a dull boring map with no atmosphere whatsoever.

There should be zombies with missing limbs, knives and axes in their back. And corpses of survivors killed by zombies should be bloody and half eaten.

I think gore in general needs a lot of work in the game, and hopefully its on the cards before release. I would like to see a system that has has a more realistic display of gore. Decapitations, limb loss, huge pools of blood, and blood trails after getting hit. If I shoot someone and they manage to keep running, there should be a very visible trail of blood until at least they bandage. A decal system that also changes the character model based on damage taken would be good. Been punched in the face a few times, you have a black eye, broken nose, bruising, blood around your face. If you take a beating in game, your character should look like he's taken a beating.

I'm pretty sure the devs already shot this down, but who knows? I can't recall where I read that or the specific context of the question, but I'm pretty sure it was on here.

The devs never "shot this idea down" but when people started to compare the zombie art of this game to the art in dayz origins mod , they got pretty quick to tell us that the zombies in this dayz werent dead (so there's no way they could be walking around with axes in their back and such) ...

But the devs have said over and over again that they have a team working to "gore up Chernarus" and the first and most recent addition was the roadblocks added to give a more apocalyptic feel , but before those were added one of the devs tweeted (a few months ago I think) and said before the game was fully released you will see a more gore filled , less clean Chernarus ! Who knows when they will start these art assets but my guess is it's close around the Corner seeing as they are getting closer to an apocalyptic survival game !

The devs never "shot this idea down" but when people started to compare the zombie art of this game to the art in dayz origins mod , they got pretty quick to tell us that the zombies in this dayz werent dead (so there's no way they could be walking around with axes in their back and such) ...

But the devs have said over and over again that they have a team working to "gore up Chernarus" and the first and most recent addition was the roadblocks added to give a more apocalyptic feel , but before those were added one of the devs tweeted (a few months ago I think) and said before the game was fully released you will see a more gore filled , less clean Chernarus ! Who knows when they will start these art assets but my guess is it's close around the Corner seeing as they are getting closer to an apocalyptic survival game !

Hopefully this game gets out of the rut of being an apocalyptic  bore fest and turns into what it is supposed to be which is a blood bath. As it stands right now i cant play more than 2 or 3 hours without completely being board shitless out of my mind. All there is right now is PVP and that in itself is pretty dull. An AK round should tear some one to pieces if shot enough time. The bullet wounds, stabbings and blunt trama melee are way to clean right now.

i would like to see some blood and maybe rotting corpses, but the real gore like you have in the screenshot OP i would like to be from players. Say  someone guts a human for meat then it creates quite a mess in the area things like that. I can imagine walking into a house looking for something and finding the house used for butchering players. or walking through town you see players on the ground with there brains blowed out could kinda let you know you have a sniper on your hands and he might be decently skilled. i hope to one day see this kind of stuff to at least one degree or another though.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the devs already shot this down, but who knows? I can't recall where I read that or the specific context of the question, but I'm pretty sure it was on here.

I think "limb loss" is confirmed. By Eugene in that twitter quick question thing awhile back, couldn't find it....yet.

I think it pertained to axing a leg off. I could be wrong I'll keep looking

Edited by Coheed_IV

As it stands right now i cant play more than 2 or 3 hours without completely being board shitless out of my mind. All there is right now is PVP and that in itself is pretty dull.

While I agree that DayZ can become quite dull with so little to do, the PVP in this game—desync aside—is amazing. I came back yesterday after a month-long hiatus and was immediately freaking out after being fired at from some range with an SKS.

Good times in Kamyshovo.

Gored up corpses should be dynamic events like helis and cop cars.

Just wayyyyu more of them.

Imagine going into a house walking into the kitchen and husband and wife both blew their brains out at the table? But the gun is in her hands. Gotta get it.

Gored up corpses should be dynamic events like helis and cop cars.

Just wayyyyu more of them.

Imagine going into a house walking into the kitchen and husband and wife both blew their brains out at the table? But the gun is in her hands. Gotta get it.

Edit! Ohhhh and the flies. Also being in a room with decaying bodies makes your tummy upset. So then you puke involuntarrily. Until you do it enough tines and endure. Then your soft stats go up and you become used to it.

Edited by ResidentWeevil

While I agree that DayZ can become quite dull with so little to do, the PVP in this game—desync aside—is amazing. I came back yesterday after a month-long hiatus and was immediately freaking out after being fired at from some range with an SKS.

Good times in Kamyshovo.

Now imagine if you could blow a persons head off into bloodied chunks up close with a shotgun point blank. Would make that experience 100xs better. Or hitting some one in the knees with a sledge hammer and watching there bones break and they scream crawling on the floor trying to escape with very little success. Or getting into a knife fight and having various parts of your body cut and those specific cut areas will bleed heavier than others depending on how sever the wound is. Or that you can no longer see 100% in front of you due to a fight leaving one of your eyes blind.

Of coarse these can all be very complex and time consuming wound concepts to try and put in but still.

I'm still waiting on that whole limping thing from broken legs. Legs just don't magically get better when you put a splint on them. That kind of damage takes allot of time to heal. : /

Edited by Deathlove

I'm back with info! Though it is vague. :(  And maybe just about the crawl, not sure.

Q: Will you ever add some sort of zombie decapitation? (i.e shooting a leg off to make it crawl slowly)
A: Yes [source]

Here's the whole Q&A

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224260-twitter-eugen-rapidfire-qa/

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 2

I have to agree DayZ needs some good visceral detail to bring it up to scratch with the survival/horror theme, and while realistic bleeding, missing/broken limbs, bullet wounds and knife/axe trauma is the right way to go, for me it's all about zombies eating the corpses. Imagine zombies fighting over it, attempting to drag the body away, ripping it apart, and individuals or groups running off to hide in buildings with a limb or piece of meat.

It'd be even more disturbing having zeds with a hunger bar...full ones just completely un-interested in a player, happily chewing on their last meal...just sitting there, face and hands coated in blood, and just looking at the player.

• Like 1

The gore I want to see is more as a response to player actions. Simple things like bullet wounds, blood "clouds" when you land a shots, this kind of thing. Maybe some sound gore as well, like, if you get shot but still alive your avatar starts screaming in panic, but you know those screams that makes you uncomfortable due how gruesome they sound? Yeah, we need that in my opinion. Same when you take heavy damage from zeds or other source like breaking a leg etc.

I do believe that while visual gore is always a nice thing to have, "sound gore" can cause way more impact, like axing someone in the shoulders, you hear a disgusting sound of flesh and bones being fucked up (not those over the top bullshit though) + believable panic and pain screams. If the sound is convincing enough, the visual gore doesn't need to be all that elaborated I think, but basic wound decals is a must in my opinion. We need visual clues in this game, not only as a fun gory thing but as a gameplay factor as well. For example, in this game at the moment is hard to know when you landed a hit on someone due lack of flinch, lack of gore decals and blood and lack of sound clues as well.

All of this makes for a nice gameplay where the player "feels" the consequences of his actions. At the moment everything is rather bland tbh.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 2