boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

about Zombies, i think they will drop items too. since i remember when they were available, when i killed one, i had an option to look into their inventory but nothing would happen. but first i hope they fix those performance bugs. because nothing is fun with +5 FPS, not even zombies and desync was ridicules.

anyway, guys i didn't understand, are we getting the new Ui by .59 exp or not? 

Good work on this update, guys! This is definitely the best update in a while. :-) It'll be cool to see how it plays when you guys add the zombies back. Speaking of zombies, do any of you know how many we can expect to see around the map in the future? I also like that almost every building is now accessible.

While I'm here, I have a few other quick questions.

Are tents now persistent after server maintenance?

How many V3S's are there per server?

Thanks in advance! :-)

EDIT: I only had two questions. Haha :-)

Edited by ShoobieStomper

Does anyone know how long the batteries will last on the walkie-talkies?  If not, does anybody want to do a test with me to find out?  I figure we can start the clock and I'll play music over my microphone or something until it goes dead.

anyone know about a bug where you suddenly have irreversible hypothermia?

Yes, we have discussed this since the experimental and it is quite annoying. You either get healed really fast or you die really fast from hypothermia now it seems. That's bugged though, since it can't be normal to rush through all stages of cold and then death in a few minutes. Just out of curiosity - did you get wet multiple times and made many fires in a short period of time. Because that's when I got my hypothermia, trying to be extra thorough and keeping dry. I just needed to make a 10-15 minute run after I was dried and the rain started again. I then went through all the stages of cold in just a few minutes after the first message about being cold came on. Got to be fixed, but for the moment it's easy enough to find a raincoat and then Gorka jackets in the military barracks.

While I'm here, I have a few other quick questions.

Are tents now persistent after server maintenance?

How many V3S's are there per server?

Thanks in advance! :-)

EDIT: I only had two questions. Haha :-)

Tents are persistent. I'm not sure if the hotfix changed their duration, but supposedly it was 45 days in Experimental. I think 7 days will be the norm, but I don't know if that means, 7 days without accessing them and more if you do. Apart from tents you can have barrels, which are much easier to hide and can be used to tan leather (and supposedly die clothes - I haven't tried that). 

Not sure about the V3S, but wasn't it 15 per server? It seems to me there are more than that, and I am ashamed to admit I asked the same question and forgot the exact number. But I usually find more than one truck when I play for over an hour. Idk why really, it seems like there are more than before. They also drive slightly better and you can fix wheels with a tire repair kit (if they are damaged and not ruined). 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Yes, we have discussed this since the experimental and it is quite annoying. You either get healed really fast or you die really fast from hypothermia now it seems. That's bugged though, since it can't be normal to rush through all stages of cold and then death in a few minutes. Just out of curiosity - did you get wet multiple times and made many fires in a short period of time. Because that's when I got my hypothermia, trying to be extra thorough and keeping dry. I just needed to make a 10-15 minute run after I was dried and the rain started again. I then went through all the stages of cold in just a few minutes after the first message about being cold came on. Got to be fixed, but for the moment it's easy enough to find a raincoat and then Gorka jackets in the military barracks.

i was tabbed out to look at the dayz DB map and when i tabbe dback in i was hypothermic, i also didnt go unconscious i just straight died IDK if that is S.O.P. i usually never get legitimate hypothermia 

Tents are persistent. I'm not sure if the hotfix changed their duration, but supposedly it was 45 days in Experimental. I think 7 days will be the norm, but I don't know if that means, 7 days without accessing them and more if you do. Apart from tents you can have barrels, which are much easier to hide and can be used to tan leather (and supposedly die clothes - I haven't tried that). 

Not sure about the V3S, but wasn't it 15 per server? It seems to me there are more than that, and I am ashamed to admit I asked the same question and forgot the exact number. But I usually find more than one truck when I play for over an hour. Idk why really, it seems like there are more than before. They also drive slightly better and you can fix wheels with a tire repair kit (if they are damaged and not ruined). 

Thank you! I saw that info about tents, but I didn't know if it was implemented yet. I'm also unsure about the time being reset if you access them.

That's my thinking, too! I always see a few V3S's around the map. I searched it a bit, but no info was current. Fifteen sounds right since they are planning to increase it to thirty in the next experimental. They DEFINITELY drive better! I also like how you have to find a glow plug and truck battery. I hope those don't dissipate over time. Oh, and knowing that your V3S will be completely fixed and full of gas after a server restart is nice, too! I hope they add another way to flip them over, though. :-)

Edited by ShoobieStomper

anyone know about a bug where you suddenly have irreversible hypothermia?

The thing is, for me its not quite as it is for you.

My progress of the special bugged Hypothermia:

1. Get wet

2. slowly cooling off.. no more messages after that

3. some time, lots of running could be included, character starts shaking (no cold status)

4. keeps shaking even if 3 campfires for 30 minutes etc

now two things can happen:

5a. stay dry + quilted jacket + running + campfires. eventually stop shaking after hours. happy end.

5b. get wet again or do whatever that cools you off - "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!"

6. die within 5 minutes, next to campfires.

Other times, namely everytime recently, I have been getting wet and cold and got "I am shaking" repeatedly, but wasnt even shaking.

Its wierd really.

Edited by jayfkay

1. Get wet

3. some time, lots of running could be included, character starts shaking (no cold status)

5a. stay dry + quilted jacket + running + campfires. eventually stop shaking after hours. happy end.

5b. get wet again or do whatever that cools you off - "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!"

Other times, namely everytime recently, I have been getting wet and cold and got "I am shaking" repeatedly, but wasnt even shaking.

Its wierd really.

I had the "no more messages" thing, too. They all arrived within 5 minutes time (I am cold, + I am shaking, etc.) and then I also experienced the rapid state changes withing a few minutes, about 5 minutes before death. Campfire didn't help me either. I think probably the blood loss and accelerated time are interfering with each other. I think the server had 4x accelerated time, so perhaps there were some problems with synchronizing server time and player stats. 

Who knows what's the problem with this. If the devs want us to get into medicine and all that stuff, the character status is something that needs sorting out quite a bit. I'm not a big fan of the whole medicine idea, because that kind of stuff is boring in real life and the same in games. Unless it is surgeon simulator!

On a sidenote: has it been asked if the V3S can have 3 front seats? I play with 2 friends and we alway have to find (or steal) the bigger truck, in order to get around the map. Was there no version of the V3S that had an "emergency" seat or a bench in the front? On the other hand - we'll have the Lada and the other cars soon, so I guess this won't matter. I'd still think it be nice if you could fit three people into the front of a truck though. 

Edited by S3V3N

-snip-

On a sidenote: has it been asked if the V3S can have 3 front seats? -snip-

Word.

This sounds good but I think the gear shifters would get in the way.

Otherwise I'm all for making someone ride in the "bitch seat".

• Like 1

1. Get wet

Its wierd really.

I had the "no more messages" thing, too. They all arrived within 5 minutes time (I am cold, + I am shaking, etc.) and then I also experienced the rapid state changes withing a few minutes, about 5 minutes before death. Campfire didn't help me either. I think probably the blood loss and accelerated time are interfering with each other. I think the server had 4x accelerated time, so perhaps there were some problems with synchronizing server time and player stats. 

Who knows what's the problem with this. If the devs want us to get into medicine and all that stuff, the character status is something that needs sorting out quite a bit. I'm not a big fan of the whole medicine idea, because that kind of stuff is boring in real life and the same in games. Unless it is surgeon simulator!

On a sidenote: has it been asked if the V3S can have 3 front seats? I play with 2 friends and we alway have to find (or steal) the bigger truck, in order to get around the map. Was there no version of the V3S that had an "emergency" seat or a bench in the front? On the other hand - we'll have the Lada and the other cars soon, so I guess this won't matter. I'd still think it be nice if you could fit three people into the front of a truck though. 

It happend to me as well on a private server with no time acceleration.

30min to warm up seems to be just the normal time it takes. Some data:

"I am rapidly warming up" --> + 0.001°C/s [Heat-comfort of 28 or above]

"I am warming up" --> + 0.0001°C/s [Heat-comfort 18-28]

normal body temperature: 35.8°C - 37.1°C

hypothermic body temperature: 34.5°C and below

So if you are almost hypothermic you have to compensate (35.8°C - 34.5°C = 1.3°C). If you warm up with the highest rate you need (1.3°C / 0.001°C/s = 1300s or 21.66 minutes). If you warm up with the second highest rate you need (1.3°C / 0,0001°C/s = 13000s or 216.66 minutes).

Sorry about the calculating but that seems to be the best way, to make people understand the results.

The time you experienced seems to be realistic compared to these numbers. Maybe it's just a buggy message^^

Edit: We could take a closer look if you describe the circumstances (cold server/warm server, rain, fire inside/outside...)

Nevertheless, it would be great to get some additional informations from the devs^^

Edited by R. Hartenstein
  • Like 1

So if you are almost hypothermic you have to compensate (35.8°C - 34.5°C = 1.3°C). If you warm up with the highest rate you need (1.3°C / 0.001°C/s = 1300s or 21.66 minutes). If you warm up with the second highest rate you need (1.3°C / 0,0001°C/s = 13000s or 216.66 minutes).

Sorry about the calculating but that seems to be the best way, to make people understand the results.

The problem for me was not the warming up, but the seemingly no effect the fire had (except blinding me at night ^^). I instantly made a fire when the first hypothermia message came on, yet my condition got worse rapidly. I'm thinking maybe there need to be some visual effect to confirm the fire is actually affecting you positively. My clothes dried, but my condition got worse, which is probably not what should happen near a fire. I also drank and ate a lot to help with bloodloss, but that had no noticable effect, either. 

• Like 1

Not sure but maybe the location of the fire is also making a great deal. If you have a fire outside where there is wind and you're wet then you'll stay cold. If you have the fire inside an house you'll warm up much faster.

I don't know if it can be an influence but has anyone tried this?

oddly, i never got such an issue so far. i remember maybe at .55 or before that, camp fire inside buildings wouldn't warm you up or smth like that, but i never get such issues. i'm always wearing some jacket and the upgrade to gorka and im good so far. 

Not sure but maybe the location of the fire is also making a great deal. If you have a fire outside where there is wind and you're wet then you'll stay cold. If you have the fire inside an house you'll warm up much faster.

was in a house, next to 2 campfires, 30 minutes and still shaking.

thankfully with lots of running while wearing a quilted jacket it went away

Edited by jayfkay

The time you experienced seems to be realistic compared to these numbers. Maybe it's just a buggy message^^

Edit: We could take a closer look if you describe the circumstances (cold server/warm server, rain, fire inside/outside...)

Nevertheless, it would be great to get some additional informations from the devs^^

regardless, I had the "Cold" status and "I am shaking", but wasnt shaking.

On the other hand, I had no status whatsoever, but was shaking like mad. something is effed up.

The thing is, I was nowhere near houses, but I build the fire on a deerstand as it was raining. I was surprised I can do that at all, but it worked. I barely had room to sit next to it, but at least the rain didn't come in. Since my clothes dried, I guess the fire was working, but still a deerstand is not the optimal place to rest out hypothermia. I haven't had issues with rain since, because you learn that lesson and move on. However, I do think this issue needs looking into as many have reported problems with hypothermia and status. I'm sure it will be fixed or made more reliable at least. 

I think it was pointed out by Basher at some point in this thread that we should try to take altitude into account when you are doing your temp calculations.

I was fine at ground level for the most part at Camp No-Lag but when I was scouting from the rooftops of tall apartment buildings I would get cold rather quickly.

I think it was pointed out by Basher at some point in this thread that we should try to take altitude into account when you are doing your temp calculations.

I was fine at ground level for the most part at Camp No-Lag but when I was scouting from the rooftops of tall apartment buildings I would get cold rather quickly.

I noticed out of the 3-4 bad cases my minions and I have died of 2-3 started at the top of the hill at Tulga and once in the hills east and west of Myshinko tent city. I cant remember where but I read in a post here or a wiki or something that altitude is a factor. I have my own suspicions that there's "pockets" of different temperature air similar to how it can be raining on one area an not another on a single server. I'd like to see it confirmed from mined data but all and all it seems like a good realistic mechanic aside from the lack of statuses showing.

The part that may be missing is cold air also behaves as liquid and there'd be cold air running down a lot of the valley towards the sea and cold moving air can be dangerous if you're damp but I'm sure the game engine will have it's limits. 

Be aware of overheating, I believe you can die from hyperthermia now. It happened to a friend yesterday.

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but combining a pristine plate carrier with pristine pouches and a damaged holster ( I'm sure it can be any which way, damaged carrier and pristine accessories etc.) will cause the whole setup to be damaged. And when you disassemble it, each piece is now damaged.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy

i think it's rather odd to need a sharp object to tear a t-shirt into rags nowadays.

I noticed out of the 3-4 bad cases my minions and I have died of 2-3 started at the top of the hill at Tulga and once in the hills east and west of Myshinko tent city. I cant remember where but I read in a post here or a wiki or something that altitude is a factor. I have my own suspicions that there's "pockets" of different temperature air similar to how it can be raining on one area an not another on a single server. I'd like to see it confirmed from mined data but all and all it seems like a good realistic mechanic aside from the lack of statuses showing.

The part that may be missing is cold air also behaves as liquid and there'd be cold air running down a lot of the valley towards the sea and cold moving air can be dangerous if you're damp but I'm sure the game engine will have it's limits. 

My only case of bugged Hypothermia was on flat ground. With any warming up / cooling down kind of message, I have not noticed a difference in altitude or terrain whatsoever.

Only houses seem to make a difference in not cooling you off so fast, but even that I am not sure of - but it was a mechanic in the mod.

As such I highly doubt altitude plays any role whatsoever. But would be nice if you could find that post or wiki entry somewhere?

I was curious and have not found anything on this matter other than said mod mechanic.

Edited by jayfkay

Be aware of overheating, I believe you can die from hyperthermia now. It happened to a friend yesterday.

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but combining a pristine plate carrier with pristine pouches and a damaged holster ( I'm sure it can be any which way, damaged carrier and pristine accessories etc.) will cause the whole setup to be damaged. And when you disassemble it, each piece is now damaged.

True that about the plate carriers. Very annoying, as I combined two pristine attachments with a damaged carrier and got a damaged vest, too. However, you can patch the whole thing back to worn with the leather sewing kit. 

I often wonder what ducttape does in respect of restoring items. I can see tents change to worn and patch up raincoats, but even though it uses it and says "blabla amount of ducttape was used", it never actually changed anything about the plate carrier. I think with backpacks it was the same, but I'm not too sure about that now. Does ducctape just restore some items, or does it improve others without actually changing their status. Also - why would I use ducttape on a barrel? I keep doing that, losing a full tape almost each time, but there is really no point at this time, is there? 

Edited by S3V3N