SMoss

Status Report - 14 Aug 2015

Greetings Survivors!

As mentioned - this weeks Status Report will consist of the RTX 2015 presentation in full, with slides and proper audio.

For a quick recap of what the focus has been over this week:

- Items Stuck in Hands

- Player Desync Issues

- Player Animation Glitching

- Server crash bugfixing

- Player "Shouldering" Issues

- Server Performance Optimization

Obviously not all these issues are blockers for stable, but many of them are tied to related causes. We'll continue to iterate on Experimental Branch until we have a build we're comfortable moving to Stable branch. All of the team here are eagerly looking forward to releasing 0.58 to the main branch, and starting on 0.59 Experimental.

Next week we'll return to the standard Status Report format - but for now, here is the RTX 2015 talk in full.

• Like 16

Thanks, devs/all!

I'm looking forward to .58 and .59 experimental!

I wish I cared for .57 nearly as much as Hicks does.... 200 hours with no infected?

Wow.

• Like 1

This one is suppose to be Aug not Jul. 

***This has been fixed***

Edited by Austin_Martin

I'm wondering what's gonna happen when someone find your base on public hive server and change server to another to move into your base and log back.

I'm wondering what's gonna happen when someone find your base on public hive server and change server to another to move into your base and log back.

Bases are not suppose to be impenetrable, this was said in the RTX 2015 presentation. Ghosting is bad, I hate it, just for the record.  

Thanks, devs/all!

I'm looking forward to .58 and .59 experimental!

I wish I cared for .57 nearly as much as Hicks does.... 200 hours with no infected?

Wow.

I believe Hicks was talking about Experimental 0.58 when he said, "I have put over 200 hours in this patch"...

I might be wrong. 

• Like 2

Gawsh I can't wait for soft skills and more detailed vehicle maintenance, and of course the new vehicles!

• Like 2

You would be placed just outside the base , that seems fair to me in a gameplay perspective .... I can't wait for .58 stable and further more .59 experimental :) ! Great work devs , I'm just sad you guys didn't have more to say :/ .

Yeah, I find it hard to believe they didn't think of that eventuality and mitigate it.

I have two accounts and a fancy keyboard so aside from the new vehicles I look forward to finding and reporting as many exploitable grinding techniques for the soft skills as possible.  

I believe Hicks was talking about Experimental 0.58 when he said, "I have put over 200 hours in this patch"...

I might be wrong. 

You're right, though my statement still stands RE: no infected found.

I might be wrong. 

Probably. He tends to play Experimental like the rest of us cool kids  B)

• Like 1

Probably. He tends to play Experimental like the rest of us cool kids  B)

B)  Oh yeah, cool kid here...

Edited by Austin_Martin

Nice presention, the one thing i didn't like was that fresh spawns essentially start with 100% combat effectiveness - this just means that PvPers won't really have more of a reason to fear death, only survivors do.

Stuff like reloading speed isn't a player skill, so i don't see anything wrong with a soft skill for it. Imo it's unlikely to make a huge difference, anyway.

edit: and i wonder how base raiding and offline time will be handled, that's hard to balance.

Edited by derLoko
  • Like 1

Wooden walls, like in the first camp style, should be extremely susceptible to Molotov cocktails/fire bombing.

So far the size of these bases would make them stick out quite a bit, especially without camo....

"How do we keep that guy playing that character?"

I like the lifespan idea but I want to be able shave and still look weathered/scarred.

Softskill development for non-tactical skills is a fine idea.

Progressive stamina for lifespan, I'm not crazy about. It takes months/years of hard focused work to build up a persons athleticism....

It would seem someone with a stamina bonus from longevity would have an advantage over a fresh spawn in a PvP situation, which is something I thought wasn't wanted in DayZ.

Edit: There is some pretty juicy stuff in this youtube video, thanks!

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

*snip*

Softskill development for non-tactical skills is a fine idea.

Progressive stamina for lifespan, I'm not crazy about. It takes months/years of hard focused work to build up a persons athleticism....

It would seem someone with a stamina bonus from longevity would have an advantage over a fresh spawn in a PvP situation, which is something I thought wasn't wanted in DayZ.

*snip*

I'm interested/skeptical about how that will be implemented.

I strive for long lives covering as much ground as possible, I don't think the time lived should affect stamina but miles traveled and possibly sprinting to the limits of your stamina then jogging walking until it "refilled" to emulate training. I think it should take a long time and a lot of distance to max this to reward players who put in the time to be an "athlete of the wasteland" and of course be able to detect sprinting in a corner or the likes.

I get that it would affect pvp ability in your example but as far as I'm concerned it would help interaction in that a long time fit survivor could approach a bambi and feel them out with an edge as far as breaking off the contact passively but that's just me.    

• Like 1

Okay, it's driving me crazy:

What was Hicks talking about there at the end!?

Sounded like some juicy information about military zombies, but it got cut off!!  :(

Was he going to talk about AI differences in behaviors?  Was he going to talk about infected having inventories?  Was it something different like models and variety?

PLEASE, HICKS!!  DON'T BE SUCH A TEASE!!!!!  :o

• Like 1

I'm interested/skeptical about how that will be implemented.

I strive for long lives covering as much ground as possible, I don't think the time lived should affect stamina but miles traveled and possibly sprinting to the limits of your stamina then jogging walking until it "refilled" to emulate training. I think it should take a long time and a lot of distance to max this to reward players who put in the time to be an "athlete of the wasteland" and of course be able to detect sprinting in a corner or the likes.

I get that it would affect pvp ability in your example but as far as I'm concerned it would help interaction in that a long time fit survivor could approach a bambi and feel them out with an edge as far as breaking off the contact passively but that's just me.    

It all sounds good in theory but I'm just afraid the average player would be more prone to abuse such a thing.

Hicks said he did not want to see people farming abilities and I guess they can implement daily diminishing returns for soft skills and stamina (I hope).

Increased stamina would then have to take a long long time to achieve to be authentic. Like the in-game equivalent of 2 hours of running a day for 90 days for maximum stamina.

The day counter in the mod gave me a real sense of longevity and I felt more and more invested in my character every day the number rose.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

*snip*

Increased stamina would then have to take a long long time to achieve to be authentic. Like the in-game equivalent of 2 hours of running a day for 90 days for maximum stamina.

*snip*

Now that's what I'm talking about, I'd be happy with a long term goal like that but let the casuals be casuals at the expense of having less get away skill.

• Like 1

As I see, in this year DayZ team works well and again DayZ engine has big changes again :D From RTX 2015 presentation to the all things inside  are all awesome. Too much new things presented, some are long time goals that means still we gonna wait more and more :( But first we still need basics of the game were been fixed as fast as possible.

Please Please Please release 0.59 as fast as possible ( not 0.58 ) and lets all test then make it 0.60 in a week with some bug fixes. Who needs experimentals . If this is still alfa so we need much faster patches. As I see my son's game named 'unturned' they patch the game some like daily.

Since the first DayZ mod one of the biggest mistake is developers (i mean coders) try to do insert a lot of things in one patch and without fixing "the one thing" e.g. zombie movements they insert another a lot of things. This is the point where the DayZ is. Still same issues and a lot of new things. Please  insert one thing or innovation or whatever you call then fix it then move to the another thing. And patch it in dayz not in monthz.

Character movements and animation bugs, Zombies, Animals, Loots, Vehicles etc. All things are not working correctly. While those were not not fixed you start new things again e.g. car repairs, new animal behaviors etc.

I mean, as i understand from the presentation, at the end of this year we will have much more things but all things will be bugged as in started and then next year we gonna see again same new changes on the same things. e.g. "new loot system" .... Please check development strategy again if you want to speed up and want to make people happy from the game behaviors who paid before and who didn't expect this alpha and beta will take more and more decades . Life is short man and we grow up fast , c'mon !

I am sure there will be too much things and too much bugs again. Please focus on one thing and release the patch then move to the another thing and please release 0.59 asap.

Thank you for the detailed presentation

Edited by yimmasabi

The poster above me is a whiner who knows nothing about (alpha) development.

--

Please just make the game harder, Loot-wise, I'm not even talking about infected here.

I like the idea of soft-skills a lot.

I used to think this was already somehow implemented, because one of my characters (probably through a weird bug) was left untouched by any kind of rain or water, I did not get wet.

Some survived up to 8 bullets, passed out, then still woke up and lived. 

It's probably just random, but this "connection" to your character and the stuff he experienced always made the game for me.

And soft-skills will make this even more immersible.

With soft skills coming, I hope my friends return to dayz. We always had different roles in our group. Also more detailed repairing mechanics will make game interesting again.

after looking at the video all I have to say is HYPE HYPE HYPE btw

I love the idea with the long range transmissions and dynamic events being transmitted over radio or Long Range Transmitter

Edited by VVarhead

Thanks devs for the presentation.
After this video I guess most of people in community got several ideas for you which can be used in future(I have some too but in my opinion it's kinda early to post them now). So I hope you listen to the community.
For now I think you need only to create the basis of general things such as bases/classes/characters surviving during Early Access and after we get on Beta version we could get more things to them.
As for me you need to take care about the main thing before to get into Beta - to create a stable environment with less bugs.